Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Also, Vagabundo, did that kayaking teacher that died today teach at your school?

Yeah, everyone on staff was pretty much in shock. I just started thinking about a conversation Louise and I had about her plans to kayak in Europe later this year and it felt like getting hit in the stomach. We had parent-teacher interviews, and it was almost unbearable. It was pretty much a freak one-in-a-million accident that killed her.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 12, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

But Kevin Hague looks like a cross between a tortoise and Lex Luthor.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Reality show ratings elsewhere are pretty much tanking, so you'd be surprised at how common that sentiment may actually be.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Drumming up controversy generally doesn't involve losing your jobs though so I think your money is safe on "they're both just shitheads".

Plus a colleague of mine knows the lady that got called a oval office by that chinny bastard, which is another tick in the "they're both just shitheads" column.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

She's famous for getting fired off x-factor.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Reminder NZ started the X-Factor/American Idol shows.

Thanks, Tru Bliss.

I'm pretty sure they spelled it correctly.

I wonder what became of everyone in True? Tru? Truue Bliss other than the one that still has a semblance of a singing career? Carl something, I think.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Just so you guys know: 1+1+1, it ain't 2.

You fucker.

Edit: At least you didn't post a link to the music video, I guess.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ivor Biggun posted:

In unrelated news name supression for a prominent New Zealander is scheduled to expire on the 19th, or "until the appeal is heard" according to the Herald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11404727

5pm March 19th according to Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/66400646/Prominent-New-Zealander-in-court-on-indecent-assault-charges

6 o'clock news broadcast tomorrow might be interesting.

According to the Herald article: "But the man's identity will remain protected for another month to allow him the chance to lodge an appeal." April 19th, then?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mirthdefect posted:

That article is from a month ago.

So it is. I admit I didn't look at the date. Whoops.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Click here to watch Winston Peters destroy Mark Osborne in a televised debate.

Part 1

Part 2

loving hell.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Winston is a belligerent old shithead who I can't recall every giving a specific answer about anything other than holding up a sign. The fact he out-waffled a relative newcomer is entirely unsurprising.

This isn't so much as Winston out-waffling a relative newcomer, as it is making him look like a patsy, despite the very obvious coaching going on from Steven Joyce from behind the camera. Peters' campaign has focused on an idea that National are taking the Northland region in general and the Northland electorate in particular for granted, and Osborne's performance here will do nothing to cast any doubt towards that. All it does is raise questions about National - was this guy really the best they could rustle up? They obviously know what Sabin did, so they surely knew he would be stepping down sooner or later, so surely, surely, they had fair notice that they'd need to find someone to step in. If they didn't, then did they assume Sabin would just get away with it? Joyce was obviously in the room with Osborne to coach him through the debate, and if it was Joyce's advice to Osborne to immediately start interrupting Peters, making him sound like a whiny 12 year-old, then what good is his advice?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Confirmation in picture form.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The only area where we were more productive was giving a couple of the South African maths teachers a hard time.

One was like
:negative: I suppose I'll support New Zealand now

The other was like
:geno: What are you talking about? I've always supported New Zealand.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Page 5

http://www.courtsofnz.govt.nz/business/calendar/daily-lists/4-National%20Court%20List%20-%20Thursday%20-%2026%2003%202015.pdf

Edit: related

https://twitter.com/MatthewHootonNZ/status/580878210969153536

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 26, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ivor Biggun posted:

Hooton's article pretty much seems to be "Nats knew".

http://www.nbr.co.nz/opinion/sabin-clock-keeps-ticking-key

I suspect he had a different one ready to publish in expectation of the judge's decision going the other way based on his tweet there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They've counted just over 50% of the votes and Peters' majority has now gone over 2000 votes. He's probably got this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Current count.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There does appear to be an attempt at one in the gif at around 1:04.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

I feel Bob deserves points over Garth George by virtue of still being alive.

Actually Garth George as far as I'm aware is still very much alive. He was still a contributing columnist to the Bay of Plenty Times and Rotorua Daily Post until this month.

These are the last columns by him that I can find, both pulished on the 18th of February this year. No idea why they have different headlines seeing as how they're basically the same column.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503435&objectid=11401998

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=11403832

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

puchu posted:

I'm not allowed to speak (not a member)

Then seduce someone with an erotic ballad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah? Well, uh, shut up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yo puchu, why aren't you a keynote speaker at the NAME convention that starts on Sunday? You might have been a big help. Also, Russell Brown will be there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's the National Association of Media Educators. Basically, a group of high school Media Studies teachers. A bunch of us are also going to the Media Take tapings on Tuesday.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, in other 3News, um, news...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/67699811/tv3-to-reduce-sunday-6pm-news-bulletin-to-30-minutes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, there are several occasions where I realised I'd been watching Seven Sharp for about 5 minutes without noticing the news had ended.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Everyone in this godforsaken country is a centrist, except they still manage to call each other communists and fascists with scant regard for what those words actually mean.

So what you're saying is, our new flag should be based on this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

klen dool posted:

Weed dries up, and Campbell lives ratings drop. Coincidence?

Well, the talk about the State of the Media by Russell Brown at the NAME Conference this morning was quite fascinating. I know it's a little late for the ratings chat earlier, but some of the talking points were interesting.

1. Campbell is probably going to be retained by TV3 in some capacity because they can't actually afford to lose him, due to the nature of his contract, the size of his pay packet and the stipulations he'd negotiated due to the rather idiotic actions of one newly appointed board member (PM me for details, if you want them).
2. Campbell Live, while holding steady ratings for some time now, has been hurt by an overall ratings decline at TV3 that was precipitated by losing Home and Away to TVNZ, which had actually been a solid lead-in to 3News.
3. Cameron Slater will probably be never relevant again, and various news organisations have been tainted by their association with him in the past, from which individual journalists may never actually recover from. For what it's worth, Dirty Politics did shine a light on to how information on individuals from the government are sent out to journalists, and their attack lines have been exposed. If Glucina publishes something about a political figure, there's probably something not on the level going on.
4. Slater was served with a bankruptcy notice on the day Jesse Ryder used him as part of the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots cosplay he was doing.
5. The resignation of the managing editor of the Herald is something that we should actually be significantly concerned with.
6. Home-grown drama on TV3 may not survive if the upcoming Outrageous Fortune sequel, Westside Story, fails.
7. It would be interesting to see whether or not the brouhaha surrounding "Prominent New Zealander" will affect Key.
8. There is a tendency among the press gallery to basically have too much respect for the powerful, rather than hold them to account. He then told us an anecdote about one particular prominent journalist, and his tendency to compare notes with a journalist from a rival network to make sure their stories matched up for the evening news, and how he failed to see what was wrong with it. That said, the majority of the stories are being reported, to their credit.

Another talking point that came up amongst us teachers about Campbell Live was about how the discourse on it has relied heavily on Nielsen ratings, and the people who are publicly expressing support for it probably aren't actually watching it on TV, because they would be of the demographic that has eschewed traditional viewing modes, and would be engaging with it in a different medium, like on the On-Demand service, or specific segments that get uploaded there that would be relevant to our interests, and whether those numbers are being tracked, and what that might reveal.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 14, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

What's the recommended dress code for the Dawn service? I've never been to one before.

Birthday suit.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A Canadian guy I know was like "what the gently caress" over this as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Countdown to a leak of the waiters' identity through the regular channels.

Within 24 hours.

http://thedailyblog.co.nz/2015/04/23/update-the-prime-minister-and-the-waitress-part-2-dirty-politics/

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Any Western Springs College alumni here? The school has been trying to complete a rebuild project since 2011 (when I did a practicum there), with almost all buildings bar the S Block near the back of the school badly in need of either renovations or a total rebuild. They were promised the financial resources by the MoE, but officials have dragged their feet since, and it is now at the point where the board and parents have told Ministry officials to go gently caress themselves. The straw that broke the camel's back has been the Ministry's decision to omit the full rebuild from the list of options to be presented to cabinet, despite the fact that it had been made clear by the community that that was their preferred option, and the now broken promises that were evidently made by officials that it would be included in the list of options.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/68207960/school-rebuild-delays-cause-anger-at-western-springs

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 2, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

The Re-Judithing

I guess Audrey Young has been talking to her, then.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11441957

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's OK guys, Key singling out a woman for repeated harassment was not sexist because he could have been tugging on a bloke's ponytail, presumably while having a beer with him.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/68235578/john-key-ponytail-pull-not-sexist

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"At the end of the day, the average Kiwi voter blah blah blah."

I have been thinking about why this has picked up so much traction, and it's really the first thing that Key has actually been directly implicated in. Even all the Dirty Politics stuff was about people around him being involved and Key was only just skirting the borders of it (although, to be honest, if you're perpetually surrounded by people who are doing dirty poo poo "without your knowledge," then you're either naive, ignorant or lying - none of which are qualities that should be present in a head of state IMO). Sooner or later, you're still going to start to smell like poo poo if you surround yourself with it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's deaf apparently, on top of being an uber nerd, so I doubt it.

It does actually make sense that his writing would actually be a bit off because of that, due to the quirks in NZ Sign. I guess his writing style comes off as a bit odd because English wouldn't actually be his first language.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

What. Where the hell did you get that from?

You are saying a historical thing happened, which it did not. I'm telling you you're wrong.

I have no strong feelings on the republican debate. The monarchy's role is purely symbolic at this point, so who cares?

It kind of sucks that we have to pay for a clan of inbred Germans to travel here and be expected to act like they're special though.

Infotainment! posted:

The independence of the United States was the death blow (60 ish years isn't too bad for internet hyperbole), the body just writhed around for a bit on the way out.

Also, you're utterly and demonstrably wrong. The British Empire was lost in the mid-20th Century, and the loss of the US at the time wasn't really a priority for the British, when they had a war to fight in continental Europe.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Infotainment! posted:

I get it. I know it happened. What I am trying and failing to get across is that all the events which followed can be traced back to that one. That over the course of history that particular event influenced everything else and without it there's a good chance the British Empire would still exist.

Probably because that's not what you said to begin with. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In which case, I propose this as our new flag.

• Locked thread