Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

WarpedNaba posted:

Now Hokey Pokey is disgusting. I don't know why people think it's a good idea.

Get. Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I loving love sesameals.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

idk what sesameals are, but speaking of cracked pepper, i can't find lime & cracked pepper chips anywhere any more and i cry myself to sleep about it every night

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/ProductDetails?stockcode=312759

klen dool
May 7, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

Only way to eat girl guide biscuits is unadorned. First nibble off the ring around the outside, then everything except the trefoil, then the trefoil, one lobe at a time.

Agreed.

Burger rings are best eaten from the finger.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

As a child I was extremely devastated when I learned that Xmas mince pies did not contain any meat.

I think in the olden days they did - minced meat and fruit and spices. But they used to do a lot of gross poo poo back then like have a hot gravey pipe that they would stick into the roof of 7 day old cold dry meat pies and fill them full of warm sticky gravey to heat them and mask the taste of botulism, then sell them to you on the street.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I kinda think if someone says "X is bad" or "X is good", and X is something subjective, we should imagine they said IMHO beforehand because otherwise we end up in the same old tiresome arguement and it's tiresome.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

this point is garbage sorry

Sorry but it's good not bad. Everyone says so. If you measure it with a pointometre you'll find it goes way above good even.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Nazism is bad.

I think it's objectively bad.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Happy new years cunts.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

If people are stupid enough to eat there, they're stupid enough to buy into gluten free.

While I am sure there are people who are just being difficult, there are a few conditions that are exacerbated by gluten. Obviously, coeliac disease is the main one, but hashimoto thyroidism is also made worse by gluten consumption. People often have both, but the majority of sufferers only have one.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

ive been let go twice from that law

I still think it's good. people take time to show their worth. sometimes their poor attitude and the evidence they will be a poor employee can't be neatly packaged into a single "reason" why someone should be let go.

If an employer cannot package the evidence into a reason, then they don't have a reason to not hire someone. Also, it doesn't have to be one and only one reason.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

A general acceptance by whom? Do I have to READ the article?

Edit: it's clear in context that the general acceptance is amoung national party MPs, but yeah it's an irresponsible quote out of context.

klen dool fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 30, 2018

klen dool
May 7, 2007

"Unauthorized history" and "eating media lunch" are genius, Jeremy wells is really underrated I think. Well, maybe not, I mean maybe he wanted to just do radio and is happy ripping off hosking weekly - and that's great. I just feel like in a bigger market he could have done more or something..

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

He's replacing hosking dude.

Yeah but that's a normal job, and it's taken ages. I'm not saying he is selling out, there isn't much else he could do....

klen dool
May 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

there can be reasons to let people go that aren't reasons you can fire them under law

like someone completely not fitting in with the workplace dynamic

an employer SHOULD have a window where they can observe someone for a short length of time to see if what they presented in the interview and their CV is accurate and true.

otherwise what? lie on ya CV and fudge ya interview, and then get into job, do half rear end job but not really break any rules and youre set for life?

"not fitting in with the workplace dynamic" sounds like employer code for "I didn't like them" - which is a reason an employer would want to fire someone, but not a good or fair one. Its also pretty vague, how about a specific example?
If the employee's attitude is causing a loss to productivity, then an employer needs to offer a reasonable amount of training and failing that they can fire them.

I don't think employers SHOULD have a window where they can fire someone at will, it causes far too much uncertainty in the employees life.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

Do you think you can actually do that? and not have someone complain for unfair dismissal?

Yes, and no. Yes I think someone could legally and fairly follow those steps and fire someone. An ex employee can complain about an unfair dismissal for any number of reasons, some may be valid and some not, and following the process I described wouldn't be valid since it's what employment law says you must do.

echinopsis posted:

we have a new employee at work. we are a couple of small pharmacies, less than 10 employees. when you're working in a tight space with 3 people 9 hours a day, you want to be working with people who are team players. you want people who fit in and contribute to morale. she is the absolutely opposite of that and every staff member hates working with her, she made one of my techs go home and cry. people do not want to work with her and while currently she moves between pharmacies, the general mood is that if she went full time in one of the pharmacies, the other staff would consider leaving their job to get away from her

but what does she do wrong? its the way she does everything but it's so difficult to pinpoint A or B and point to it and give written warnings and verbal warnings and move down that path

lucky for her she's now passed her three month trial period anyway. guess we just have to suck it up and do what we can to encourage her to apply for other jobs we find in seek or whatever

i dont expect employers to like everyone, but humans have intuition, and three months is a good window for an employer to use their intuition to decide if keeping this person is in the interest of their business, or if they are not

If the employee hasn't done anything wrong, then the fault lies with everyone else - it sounds like no one likes her so, so now no one likes her, and no one can get to like her because she keeps getting moved around. It's like the monkey-hose-banana-ladder experiment, and she is the banana.

If she has done something "wrong", you must be able to describe it, otherwise how do you know it's wrong? If you can describe it, tou can fix or warn against it.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Right, we're not living some narrative where everyone on the ground floor is a pure and square-jawed udarnik right out of a Stakhanovite movement propaganda piece. And since the only real way to gather evidence that would tally for reasonable grounds is to train a camera on them every minute they're on work grounds? That's going to get a 123 on your rear end faster than the Jackson 5.

I have NO idea what this means, but I really like it.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

she came in as a pharmacist so she is superior to the technicians, and so she's not "abusing" the staff as much as abusing her position of power to belittle every single decision the tech makes, make a big deal out of every singly tiny mistake etc. nothing she is doing is "wrong" as such, it's just unrelenting and shows absolutely no respect for the people under her. but it's not direct abuse, it's not directed at her person but her work. the tech told me that it made her feel useless and never want to come to work again.

Okay you just described a specific problem which has actionable solutions. The problem here is a manager who doesn't give a gently caress and can't be bothered trying to fix the problem beyond moving her around. Either that, or the manager is unqualified for the position and are doing their best.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I've never really had an issue with Telstra/Vodafone for internet, apart from hurry the gently caress up with upv6 and don't charge me for a static IP on fibrex.

Vodafone for cellphones on the other hand.... I was not on plan, prepay peeps are charged $2 for a support request. They forgot my password I used to recharge my phone credit, and despite it being their fault they still tried to charge me the two bucks for the privilege of me giving them money... that was quite an argument...

On the plus side, after I snail mailed a complaint, they rang me and apologized and gave me $20 credit so that's good I guess...

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

They asked us to pay for repairs, although I still haven't had a reply to the email where I told them it wasn't us, so they may still take me at my word.

Yeah we got a description at the time, but we had a different head tenant at the time and I don't know what he did with it. I've contacted him to see if he still has it. I don't think it mentioned the plastering though (as I said I never even noticed it til now) so yeah if they do decide to be dicks about it, it will be our word against theirs. What happens in that situation? Tenant has to pay?

Also a trundler is one of those stupid bags on wheels that lazy cunts pull behind them and block off the entire footpath instead of carrying their 2 kilos of poo poo like a normal person :colbert:

Now IANAL but I've been to the tennancy tribunal a number of times, and threatened to go even more. I've found the tennancy tribunal will err on the side of the tennant, the tenancy laws tends to as well.

Often mentioning that you don't mind going to the tribunal is enough to get the landlord to act like civilised grown ups.

The last time this happened was upon moving out of a $620 a week house in island bay, quinovic tried to ping us for a couple tiny smudges on the wall, a few holes in the wall where picture hooks where attached, and 3 light bulbs. They wanted $80 for those bulds btw. They hadn't read the original house assessment before deciding all of the above were our fault and needed remedying.
Granted, the small smudges were my fault, but thats wear and tear and not a tennants responsibility. The picture hook holes were also put there by us, about 10 paintings worth, you know adding to the ones already there from the previous occupant (the owner of the property) which were also noted in the original assessment. The light bulbs - they wanted $80 to pay someone to go and replace them, or they offered to allow us to go and replace them. The original assessment noted that there were 4 bulbs out originally, they were different bulbs.

We told them that the smudges are wear and tear, that picture hooks holes were already there and also they are not damage - again, wear and tear, and all we said about the light bulbs is "don't be stupid, that's not happening". We said any further disagreement will be resolved in the tennancy tribunal, and they backed down quick smart.

Funny thing about light bulbs - if they blow, and you leave them in, it's wear and tear and you are not liable for replacing them.. If they blow, and you remove them, then you are liable for replacing them lol.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Eradication is not even a consideration.

100% Lethality is nice and all but if it doesn't get time to pass on its useless, see Ebola with 80% kill rate but very limited incubation, transmission and infectious period seriously limits additional causalities with even basic medical knowledge. What they are using is rabbit Ebola-like and there aren't Dr. Rabbits. It beats hopelessly gassing and shooting them.

Australian farmers were so fed up that they grounded up our rabbits to infect theirs awhile back. Carrying a bio-WMD pass customs would be a thrill.

That's funny, because thats how myxomatosis got into NZ from Australia in the first place lol

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Also why is the headline "Man shocked after Filipino girlfriend refused entry into Krispy Kreme"? Like who gives a gently caress what the man felt? Surely the story isn't that a man was shocked, but that a Filipino was refused entry?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Releasing a rabbit virus that they will develop an immunity to in 20 years isn't sysiphean - you don't end up back at the same place, you end up with 20 years of more productive farming, and you end up with 20 years leeway in finding a more permanent solution - you've gained an opportunity you didn't have before.

If at the end of 20 years farming didn't get more productive and we didn't find a permanent solution, then MAYBE you could call it sysiphean. But not before.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I've definitely had friends get out of dealer charges - "those tinnies help me space it out over the month". Just don't let people get stuff on tick and write it down, that'll get you busted.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

What did bridges say to provoke this unseemly outburst!?!?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Pararoid posted:

"Last time I checked, New Zealand First was in coalition with the Greens."

But yeah, it definitely serves his purposes for people to think that.

They effectively are though, right? The terms of the coalition are probably looser between greens and labour/nzfirst than the terms between labour and nzfirst - does coalition have another, more specific meaning when used in NZ politics? Like it's a bit of jargon now?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I guess you'd have to prove he thought the request was not vexatious and he was doing it out of spite or some other reason.

Even then, the law might not make a distinction between "denying a request for being vexatious and you believe it to be vexatious" and "denying a request for being vexatious and you don't believe it to be vexatious".

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I don't think we as a country get to kill civilians in another country and lie about it for a year, let our prime minister assault a citizen, and falsely call an IOA vexatious all without repercussions or even a sense that anything was wrong with any of that, then have a go at an mp having a meeting and not telling anyone. Or, make an mp step down because of some minor benefit fraud years ago.

But we did it anyway, plucky little NZ.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

He just doesn't give a gently caress does he.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

If I was half as smart now as Chlöe Swarbrick is at 23.... I was a loving moron at 23.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Yeah but when you're twice as old as you are now, the world will be underwater and both of you will be dead.

loving lol if you think the world is going to last another 40 years at this rate

klen dool
May 7, 2007

bike tory posted:

It's the ability to communicate her ideas convincingly that make her so good at what she does imo. Not that she isn't smart of course

That's a good point, but I do think there is a relationship between how well one can express an idea and how well one actually understands an idea. I certainly didn't have her communications at her age, and I am certain she is brainer than me.

Again, I think all MPs should be between 15 and 35 years old. We all get to choose the best ones.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Varkk posted:

Wait is he implying Peters was like 12 when he started smoking?

It wouldn't be that weird, I'm only 41 and I started smoking around 13.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

In aussie somewhere they have banned single use plastic bags. So, the supermarkets are now giving away plastic bags that are almost identical to single use except they are a tad sturdier making them able to be used more than once, but I bet no one does, and it just uses more plastic so its actually worse.

I am not saying we should use single use plastic bags, but we shouldn't ban them explicitly.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

bike tory posted:

The UK put a 10p charge on plastic bags (at businesses with more than 250 employees) and their use dropped 85% in 6 months.

Holy poo poo really? Wow. I wouldn't have thought 10p was enough, that's only 1 pound for 10 bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

bike tory posted:

To be honest Wellington prices aren't a whole lot better. A three bedroom in Wellington will set you back $700k+ these days, and for inner city you're looking at $1m+

I am 30 mins train ride from town (silverstream) I spent around 400k on a 2.5 bedroom home with a pretty good yard a year ago. The house prices are not so bad if you look in the right place, but I get the feeling it's only gonna inflate as people in my position start looking out of the city. I mean, I am old but I have an 18 month old kid so I am competing with cool young 30 year old parents....

• Locked thread