Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WarpedNaba posted:

So apparently Chris Brown is banned from Australia for Domestic abuse. Read the article and discovered that we've denied him a Visa for the same reasons.

... it's hypocrisy, right? Just hypocrisy? No reason to look deeper into this?

pretty sure mike tyson was turned down a visa

not really seeing the problem tbh gently caress chris brown

also i really don't like any of the alternative designs but i have yet to see anyone mention what the naval ensign will become, kinda curious about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Not mine you Mong I'm not one of those scumbags who takes loving photos of their god drat screen on a device that can take sodding screenshots

thats a shame i was gonna compliment you on your choice of games

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I read that this morning and it took me three tries to get through it. What is she actually trying to say? It seems like she's mocking, but then in the same breath she seems to be serious, and I genuinely can't figure out what she's trying to say.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

was she actually serious? i thought it was some kind of satire and kept waiting for the joke, maybe that's why i got confused

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lol but she's an import

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

No, you're just a loving moron if you are proud to be born in/move to a country, or proud of being born with a skin colour.

:allears:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

How much fuel would leak from a crashed ship? That's an impossible question to answer dude way way too many variables

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm a big proponent of nuclear in most cases but I agree, we are simply not hungry enough to need it given the other natural options available. That said, not every country has that luxury.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

how postmodern

should have put it on red peak

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

looks more like hungover key

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Isn't that from the press announcement immediately after Pike River? I mean, I hate Key as much as the next man but it seems lovely to take a photo of him looking sad in the wake of a tragedy and use it as "lol he looks grumpy".

lmao are you for real?

loving labour manage to gently caress up literally everything

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

showed up on my fb feed not long after i saw it here

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Actually, it's from his appearance on Close Up in regards to the Pike River Report. Dunno if the press conference came first, but it was at least probably recorded on the same day. But hey, "lol loving Labour," right?

um actually it was me that was going lol loving labour

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

loving hell dude

that's a bit much

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah i mean i dislike john key but it's a bit harsh to be ripping into his son unless there's something i'm not aware of

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

He drove through South Auckland once with his doors unlocked.

Dudes insane even I wouldn't risk that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

klen dool posted:

We got screwed - on everything.

Mind elaborating?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

this photo is playing all kinds of hell with my head

he's got the chin of a really really fat dude but between the combination of the black shirt and the weird lighting he doesn't actually look fat

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

People cut Barry Crump a bunch of slack for beating the poo poo out of his partner(s) when it first came out but I'm guessing it's also a big reason why you don't hear much about Barry Crump any more (that and being dead). Other than Margaret Mahy being convicted for drunk-driving, I'm drawing a blank too.

eh i've said to people barry crump sums up new zealand perfectly, both the good and the bad
on the one hand, he did some really cool poo poo and was a lot of things nz values - hardworking, independent, outdoorsy, etc
on the other, here's a direct quote
actually it's gonna be a series of quotes from crocodile country

barry crump posted:

I'm always having to pull her into gear over giving cheek like that.

She was getting cheekier than ever. It was about time a joker showed her who was boss of this outfit.
i can't find the exact passage right now but he says something about a joker had to give her one every now and then, straight out says he hits her

guy could spin a pretty good yarn and had clearly done a lot of living, but unfortunately he was also a wife beater

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

echinopsis posted:

there's probably still a decent chunk that thinks minor domestic violence is a bit like menstruation, as in no one likes it, but it's life and just should be tolerated dont make a fuss

There's no probably about it. This is more or less the exact reason why domestic violence can exist. It is a massive problem.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

echinopsis posted:

This brings in an interesting angle, to an extent. I was smacked as a child, and I don't really want to defend it as such but there is a chasm of difference between being smacked and being beaten. A large grey difficult to define chasm. I bet a lot of people see domestic violence the same way. Once were warriors style beatdowns are a definite no no but a slap? Not saying it's ok but it's very different and there is a lot of undiscussed psychological abuse going on which is significantly worse but doesn't get the same attention

Of course you can't have a reasonable discussion down those lines because most people like their poo poo black and white...

The way crump describes it is like disciplining a dog basically - give it a smack to keep it in line. I don't think he beat the poo poo out of her - or he doesn't want it to be seen that way - but I really don't think that was too far out of the ordinary back then.

I do remember my stepmother telling me that her mother had said to count herself lucky if she finds a man who doesn't hit her.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

sup nz just gonna forge a cop's signature and impersonate a police officer to get my hands on a gun

also gonna pointlessly name the store i got the gun from

also gonna make out like i was the one that got this loophole closed when apparently it had already been identified and dealt with internally

#journalistlife

would make me happy in a lot of ways if she wound up facing criminal charges for this

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Remember when she did a puff piece on Cam Slater shortly before Dirty Politics came out?

http://tvnz.co.nz/seven-sharp/whaleoil-beef-hooked-video-6035344

speaking of cameron slater i wound up reading this article and agreeing with basically all of it before i saw where it was from

http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2015/10/dirtymedia-mediaworks-story-breaks-the-law-to-get-a-story/

i feel a little dirty

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Just remember that he's writing from the perspective of a rightwing gun nut

eh to be fair it pretty much sticks to the facts, which make her look like a gigantic goddamned idiot

you'd think a better way to do it that doesn't involve potentially facing criminal charges would be to CALL THE POLICE AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE PLANNING

but i guess this is why i'm not on primetime media and she is

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

I swear that earlier today the Stuff/Herald article said Greg O'Connor told her how to do it. Did anyone else see that or am I going nuts? He's today announced that he's standing down as Police Association boss :tinfoil:

the one i posted from whaleoil discusses exactly that. i'd normally say it was typical bullshit but somehow i didn't doubt it for a second

gently caress this whole thing just keeps getting dumber and dumber, if she'd come up with the idea and gone ahead and done it that's bad enough but the head of the police association telling someone to commit serious crimes, and them going along with it? just idiots all the way down

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 21, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Somfin posted:

This is one of the things I brought up in an argument about those Planned Parenthood videos a while back. Why didn't they tell the cops? Why didn't they go to the police with the information if it was so incriminating?

No response, as per usual.

do you mind filling me in? i watch very little tv so i'm drawing a blank here

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh the yankee poo poo

i thought you meant something had happened in nz and i was really wracking my brains trying to think when

i wonder if good old heathy's been arrested yet

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lol

quote:

But Mr Woodhouse told TV3's Paul Henry programme he was not sure a loophole existed. "Putting aside the fact that someone has committed what I think is a pretty serious offence in order to make a point ... I'm not convinced there's some great loophole that has led to significant numbers of weapons being obtained illegally," he said.

i think she is starting to realise she may have made a serious mistake

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

fong posted:

^ that makes a lot more sense

however I still think its something that needs to be changed, surely the check should be done before the gun gets sent out? Like the system isn't very functional if you can basically make up everything on the form (including your own details) because then even if the check fails the police have no way to find you.

I dont agree with the "fraudsters gonna fraud" argument. Its true, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't make it harder for people to fraudulently obtain guns. Doing the check before sending the gun out would probably mean an extra couple of weeks waiting for the people trying to buy guns, but you have to question the motives of anyone who needs a gun in a hurry anyway, don't you?

The thing is it has already been changed. The document now has to be sent by the police officer.
So good job committing fraud I guess

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

My point is that those would all be places tied to your actual identity so it really seems like basically the worst someone using this method can do is commit fraud and then go on a shooting rampage before the paperwork gets to the police. There's plenty of other ways of illegally obtaining firearms that don't require you to wait for the mail or effectively reveal your identity to the police.

almost like it was a bullshit piece designed to get ratings

nawwwww

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

fong posted:

ah, that seems to be the main point. They should've talked to the police first I guess?

still not a reason to change the rules for online gun shopping to be in line with face-to-face shopping

it just kind of creates an interesting point because regardless of what her intentions may have been, she did actually commit several crimes by doing this. her argument is clearly that it is in the interest of the public good, and up to you whether you accept that or not, but that does not change what she has done. which leaves me wondering how a judge would deal with this if it gets that far - seems like letting her off is making a nasty precedent to let the media do what they like. i wonder how this is going to pan out

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I wouldn't want to be shot in anger by a .22

Might not be as lethal as a .303 or something but it'll put a pretty good hole in you all the same

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Oh, that's where I read it :downs:

Hasn't there been a spate of people cutting off their electronic monitoring bracelets after Story showed them how?

Do you have a link to this at all? Asking for a friend

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Two Finger posted:

Do you have a link to this at all? Asking for a friend

Never mind I found it. Jesus gently caress.
I have noticed an awful lot of reports of ankle bracelet stories in the paper recently now that you mention it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Yeah. No way of knowing whether Story inspired people to do it, or it was always happening but wasn't being reported I guess.

I'm not going to outright say they were responsible for all the ones recently, but having someone saying 'yeah, a cheap pair of scissors, or sidecutters will get through it easily' and then actually showing it being done is something else. At this point I'm thinking locking these two idiots away is gonna be a public service.

Next up on Story, it's time we took car manufacturers to task. Our expert shows us how with just a simple blade, any criminal could turn a normal car into an unstoppable deathtrap!

We also tackle household chemical manufacturers by showing how just mixing a few common cleaners can create lethal poisonous gas. Anyone could use this as a murder weapon!

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 22, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i enjoyed the game

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

well i hope you joined him

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gonna need to see this

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lmao

quote:

Key retaliated during Question Time, accusing Davis and Labour of taking the side of sex offenders by backing the detainees.

"These people, some of them are rapists, some of them are child molesters, and some of them are murderers and these are the people that the Labour Party is saying are more important to support than New Zealanders who deserve protecting when they come back here.

"Mr Davis, if you want to put yourself on the side of sex offenders, go ahead my son, but we'll defend New Zealanders."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/73859941/kelvin-davis-confronts-john-key-over-australia-detainees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

that's legit one of the funniest things i've read in a while

• Locked thread