Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You say that like they wouldn't have personally chosen to attend in order to accrue social credit they could cash in later for reelection.

Tourettes is also pretty legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dusty posted:

I have enjoyed the SJW groupthinking on twitter that protestors should be allowed to violently disrupt queer spaces.
But the entire thing they're protesting is pride parade no longer being a queer space.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How visibly queer?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

dusty posted:

Which unfortunately for his argument is functionally identical to:
This is the kind of situation in which you apply intersectionality rather than using the discrimination against one group by society to discount any criticism of it by its subgroup(s).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To be honest I actually felt a little better watching that video because he wasn't just sitting there with a smug grin and no argument like usual.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I personally just disagree with how reductive, non-representative and privileging it is rather than the actual sentiments it contains.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

None of the eyewitness accounts posted give any indication it was violent, especially not the actual video of the protest which clearly shows them just attempting to block marchers with a banner and resisting removal.

I do appreciate the attempt to slam me based on a perceived narrowness of my "political ideology". Please continue to post daily updates about how trannies are oppressing the gays.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Neither of these issues sound like things the Police, as terrible as they are, have anything to do with?

The Police don't run the prisons and the Police don't sentence people or write the laws/rules surrounding that?
The police contingent included the Department of Corrections who are directly responsible for the prisons.

Besides that

New Zealand Herald posted:

Protester Tim Lamusse said the group wanted to highlight that the queer, Maori and Pasifika communities were disproportionately harassed and targeted by police.

ps how quickly we forget Zed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

All of these great suggestions really only serve to reinforce how utterly mediocre Tadpole was.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

No mention of Scribe?
Scribe is technically not a band.

It's also criminal how hard it is to find high quality True Bliss videos considering how loving everywhere they were at the time. I'm convinced there's a TVNZ conspiracy to bury that era.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'll believe it when it's finished.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

All I can hear is Jeremy Wells' voice.

The fact that he paragraphs the way he speaks drives me insane and I don't know why. Stop making every sentence a paragraph. Argh.
You can't pick and choose the parts you want to take part in, unless of course the people doing the beheadings are US allies in which case you do.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Is it on a lawn? If it is, I blame Darren.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Literally ban cars.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Actually my regional issues are the most important.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

dusty posted:

Tourist driver targetted by horrible racists

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11411714
:qq: where will this end :qq:
Nice list of events showing that SI police are more than capable of acting on citizen-provided information to apprehend dangerous drivers without those citizens also having to turn into some kind of vigilante raven.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Like that coup in Fiji we did the bare minimum about then decided that actually we should support just in case they had another coup.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

What if we didn't commit to a war overseas and used that money to help people in our own country?
Poor people don't golf, let alone invite me overseas to do it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's clear from the article that's exactly what it is. The initial quote was more than likely just for adjustments to be made to the existing systems to comply with the 2013 reforms, with the new quote being for compliance with a completely different bill that has larger and more complex requirements and very likely requires a whole new system to be put in place.

They got a quote for painting the house then decided they also wanted a deck and now everyone's making GBS threads the bed for some reason about being told that the wood is extra.

e: and also saying WOW IT'S SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN NOVOPAY when that cost us $182mil PLUS the $45mil repair bill that they seem to think was its price.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 6, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Just go ahead and admit that nobody in your ministry actually cares if it's lawful or not because you believe it's necessary and therefore if it's revealed at a future date to be obviously and plainly illegal you will pass more urgent legislation to retroactively legalise it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He hasn't recanted his pledge though. He's just playing OED about "mass collection" not being the same thing as "mass surveillance" because the literal words used are different in each.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

klen dool posted:

Sorry, I meant like a quote or something. What exactly did he say, and in what context? That article just asserts he said it.
It's from his press conference on Monday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y3lj1YdsiU&t=12m20s

quote:

Question: On GCSB, this morning you were asked about Bruce Ferguson's comments. Is there are difference between mass surveillance and mass collection. Do you draw a distinction between the two?

NZ PM John Key: I am sure the lawyers would tell you there is a difference. But I am not going to into critique all those different points. I mean. The fundamental difference between the SIS and GCSB. In the case of the GCSB they are a foreign intelligence agency. They gather intelligence about particular reasons. They have for many many governments lifespan. They do it for good reasons and they are controlled by the law.

But I am not going to go into what their particular targets are. What a warrant is raised for. How information is actually gathered and how it is processed. So no - by definition its covert - no agency does that. So in the end you've got a bit of, in my opinion, you've got a bit of what was demonstrated with he moment of truth last year was a moment of inaccuracy, because actually what they came out and said was just plain wrong.

In my opinion some of the assumptions, some of the definitions of the assumptions are wrong, some of the ways the information is presented is wrong, but I am just not going to go through all of those individual things because in the end that's just not the way you run those intelligence agencies.

Question: You’ve said you’ll resign if there’s mass surveillance by the GCSB.

NZ PM John Key: Yep.

Question: Does that promise apply to mass collection of information as well?

NZ PM John Key: No, because in the end I was asked a very specific question, without re-creating history, and that was: are we conducting mass surveillance of New Zealanders? And the answer is: No. That’s the advice I’ve had from GCSB. It’s not capable of doing that, and legally it’s not allowed to do that.

Question: But you’ve just said "no" to the question “Does it apply to mass collection?” So mass collection would not trigger - if it was proved there is mass collection - it wouldn’t trigger a resignation under the promise you’ve given?

NZ PM John Key: No.

klen dool posted:

I might even go as far as not voting for him next election in an attempt to cut off his income and power!
:monocle: holy poo poo we are out of touch with middle nz

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

This doesn't prove anything though because he could be a hard light hologram.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

"I think if people don't look after themselves and then put their hand out and expect other people to pick up their poor decisions then you could call them scum" - a man who has been sitting on the benefit for like the last five years due to depression over being a big fat failure at life.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Well, you see, he's not threatening to pull his pork barrel spending. He's merely reminding the voters of Northland that if National loses that election then it can't pass bills without those mean other parties who hate Northland voting on them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

klen dool posted:

I really HATE to defend that fat gently caress, but mental illness isn't caused by not looking after yourself and the benefit is important. On the other hand, earthquakes are not caused by not looking after yourself either....
Mental illness isn't caused by not looking after yourself, but depression is heavily aggravated by and exists in a feedback loop with it. Dude drove himself ill and has been wallowing in it ever since. I'm not disputing that the benefit is important or that he needs it, just pointing out that maybe it's not really the appropriate place from which to throw stones at people whose only sin is being underprepared for a unforeseeable clusterfuck of natural disaster and national insurance failure.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Butt Wizard posted:

I'm probably misreading what you're saying here, but an earthquake in the South Island is not unforeseeable event. The Alpine Fault has a monumentally high chance of rupturing in the next 50 years (in geological time frames). It'd be like Aucklanders going "A volcano? In Auckland?" if the volcanic field got restless again.
The fact of the earthquake sure, I meant it more in combination with EQC subsequently falling to pieces, the government abandoning residents to the invisible hand of the market in favour of micromanaging the local government, with the city centre basically becoming a no-mans land and infrastructure unrepaired for years as a result.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Is it too much to hope that, eventually, one day, not soon but one day, the media will rip apart JK like the rabid flesh-starved dogs they are?
If they did they might lose their precious access to his exclusive lies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm so glad I spent today with Cryptowall instead of social media.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Exclamation Marx posted:

i've heard of both of them b/c i know about pop culture :dealwithit:
Human garbage.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Synchronicity. It was only last Friday that I was drunkenly trying to recall and explain how the Krypton Factor worked to some mid-twenties.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

It's simple. Do an army-style obstacle course, then do a panel quiz.
You're forgetting the iconic puzzle in the glass box!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

lol if you still own a tv like some kind of barbarian.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

I'm pretty sure they spelled it correctly.

I wonder what became of everyone in True? Tru? Truue Bliss other than the one that still has a semblance of a singing career? Carl something, I think.
Don't worry - the Herald found out for you just two months ago. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11385007

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

loving bludgers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

:iceburn:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I would think they would need some new piece of evidence though, if the test they used before on the same evidence wasn't enough to prosecute before is now, then that can't support a fair justice system.
The whole problem is the report says that the test they used before on the same evidence was more than enough to prosecute.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

mirthdefect posted:

Can you stop conflating everywhere outside of Auckland with Hamilton

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Winston hasn't even started speaking but I'm keenly aware of how "out there" Mark Osbourne is speaking to the issues Northlanders care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Butt Wizard posted:

Amnesty International 'survey' shows that people don't want to be spied on. In other news, the sky is blue and the grass is green.

I wonder if there's any figures from something that isn't a human rights lobby group that might be a little more reliable?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11112107
You know this article says that 75% of New Zealanders don't want to be spied on, right?

• Locked thread