Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those anti-domestic-violence radio ads are tremendously stupid.

"Don't beat ya wife if the allblacks lose!" people hearing that ad fall into two categories:

1. People who aren't colossal psychopaths who beat their spouse over sports bullshit.

2. Colossal psychopaths who don't give a poo poo about radio ads telling them not to beat their spouse over sports bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a mate I've known since we started highschool, he's been in the army a few years now. He's a borderline aspergers manchild who joined because he wanted a job that would also take care of his every minor need for him like a big green mum. Now he seems to be more self-sufficient and more capable of social interaction with humans, and he's reasonably well off financially.

I'd say on the whole it's done him some good, even if he could (theoretically) gone to uni instead and made use of his autistic-yet-powerful brain. I doubt he ever would've made it through uni; he'd probably be working at a supermarket right now if he hadn't joined.

The very concept of him killing someone on purpose with a gun makes me giggle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This whole discussion is retarded. Armies exist because the world is the way it is; I realise that in an ideal world they wouldn't exist, but unfortunately humans are humans and thus they exist. If everyone refused to join an armed force then the world would be a better place. If everyone picked up a piece of rubbish every day there would be no need for street sweepers. Neither of these things are going to happen any time soon.

It makes no sense to me to blame people in the army for the decisions politicians make. 'The army' doesn't choose if it gets sent to fight on the other side of the world, that's a political decision. I don't understand why all the vitriol is directed at the poor cunts digging ditches as opposed to the rich cunts sending them off to get shot for reasons that make no sense.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

What the gently caress of course people in the army get to decide if they go to a specific war or not. If they think the war is somehow wrong, they have an obligation to society to refuse.

Hahaha what?

You and me and everyone else in this country (and every other country) do things that we know are bad/wrong all the time but nobody refuses out of an 'obligation to society'. Nobody outside of internet autist thought-excercise reasonable-men actually thinks in terms of the effects their actions have on society. They think about how to achieve their own personal goals and ambitions whilst avoiding being piss-poor and other social strife.

That is the nature of institutions, of which the army is one. They function because they put individuals in a position where they either make a 'bad' choice to protect themselves or are shuffled further down the social ladder and replaced by someone more willing to do so. Do I quit my job because my company does things that are bad for the environment/someone in asia? Nope because I don't want to be unable to feed my kids because I've shat my own career down the toilet and then watch someone more morally flexible step into the gap and do the same things anyway. Do I quit the army/get put up for charges because Armies Are Bad and Violence Is Wrong? No because then I'm a completely unqualified bum with no money and no prospects/real work experience whatsoever and I get to watch someone less morally pure get promoted over me to do the same job anyway.

Every aspect of life is like this and the only people I can think of who have successfully avoided this are buddhist monks and similar monastic orders who have made a massive, deliberate shift in their lives to separate themselves from the hamster wheel of society. You get to choose between a crap choice and a really, really really crap choice and you choose the first one because nothing you do will make any difference anyway.

Claiming that they should somehow martyr themselves for the fulfilment of a political directive whilst completely torpedoing their personal circumstances is ridiculous. They might refuse because they're afraid of risk or any number of other personal reasons but there are very few people who would refuse because of their 'obligation to society'. That argument is completely disconnected from reality. Think about why the people you see on a day to day basis make the decisions they make with their lives. Only a very few (or not, depending on your social circle) have the personal luxury and security to afford to make decisions for the betterment of society to the detriment of their own circumstances.

I'm sorry for the wall of text but that view is repeated time and again on the net and it drives me crazy. If you want the world to change you need to give people incentive to dismantle the institutions that gently caress the world instead of just expecting them to sacrifice their livelihoods for the greater good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Prime Minister John Key said last August that when the SAS handed someone they had detained to other units, they made sure that person would not be tortured.

what a good bloke

oh you mean they didn't make sure?

oh and they were directly responsible for multiple deaths and maimings because of their actions?

oh well let's have a beer and let Slavvy's Just World of Good and Evil sort everything out

Wait what is this Ayn Rand bullshit, how did anyone get that out of my post? I don't believe in a just world or any poo poo like that, the world is a horrible place. I'm saying that expecting people to change things by altering their own lives is unrealistic in the extreme because most people just aren't wired that way for whatever reason. I'm saying it's terrible that we're getting involved in a cycle of endless violence, but blaming the actual guys doing the shooting is pointless. They're just tiny cogs in a massive machine, they aren't the ones making the decisions that put them in those circumstances.

I also like the fact that so many people here claim moral agency that allows them to act for the betterment of society because they're so enlightened but then just automatically assume that everyone who goes to the middle east is a baby murdering bloodthristy fuckhead who couldn't possibly be outraged by these things and would never take personal actions to try to avoid being a horrible oval office while they're actually there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I realise that. Hence my allusion to everyone picking up one piece of rubbish to keep the streets clean. The realities of life when you aren't affluent and successful mean you don't really get to choose to help humanity as opposed to yourself. This also tends to breed the kind of people who, when successful, do horrible things instead of using their excess wealth to help other people.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'M HERE AGAINST MY MORAL WISHES *rips off a stream of .50 cal*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

in a way, he has to prove that he was wrongfully imprisoned, which you could take to mean that he must prove he didn't do it

Seems like it's this more than anything else.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's huge and terrifying and implies an uncropped face size:screen area ratio that I'm uncomfortable with.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:catstare: wow that is...not good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It probably was originally but then someone discovered you can't get rainbow in a pail from resene.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Infotainment! posted:

We live in a 21st century capitalist democracy. Equality is having everything you hold dear about your identity used to market bullshit. Seriously.

100% true.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dusty posted:

/for the record I don't think intersectionality and the existence of trans discrimination is reason enough to invade the safe space of a marginalised group with violent protest. gently caress em, what sicko oval office thinks its a swell idea to invade a pride parade and fight with security guards?

I don't see anything unreasonable about this view and I'm slightly nonplussed at why other people in this thread disagree.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He worst band is Rubicon, by the way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

You fucker, I came to say that.

At the risk of being violently ill I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91v1hC6__Y

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All I can hear is Jeremy Wells' voice.

Mike Hosking posted:

A political correspondent on this paper on Tuesday afternoon was lamenting the media's inability to get access to John Key's speech to the House on sending troops to Iraq before he'd actually given it.

John Armstrong was right to point out that this was unusual, but he was wrong to go on to suggest that this meant the Prime Minister was losing the argument.

The poll numbers tell us that he isn't.

Forty eight per cent in favour, 42 per cent against according to a One News Colmar Brunton poll out on Monday night.

I would have guessed pre-poll it would be 50/50, there are no real winners in going to war and even in the most profound of conflicts there has been, and always will be, a good proportion of people who argue that war is no answer.
So with a comfortable majority supporting the move, I'd be feeling pretty bullish that I'd done the right thing.

But having said that, I'd feel pretty bullish I'd done the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

It is the right thing to do no matter what the numbers.

And in that, it's a bold move.

But doing nothing has never been all that complicated. Perhaps the saddest comment, politically anyway, came from Peter Dunne when he talked of his opposition by, among other things, suggesting we were a long way away from all this.

Almost as though he had never been on a plane or had the internet.

Almost as though, if you hunkered down in your lounge and pretended none of this was happening, it might go away.

For Peter's edification, this is a very small world and we're part of it.

Call it a club if you want - and by the way far too much has been made of all that "club" talk, did it mean 5 Eyes or the Western Alliance?

Who cares? It means the people who don't like the beheadings and the burnings and the apocalyptic cult that is wreaking havoc all over the planet.

You can't pick and choose the parts you want to take part in, in a complex relationship - not on a personal level, not on a geo-political level.

The world is inter-linked.

Much has been made of the so-called soft sell the Government has been engaged in. I have never thought this really needed selling.

Doing the right thing is not all that complicated to understand.

The fact that he paragraphs the way he speaks drives me insane and I don't know why. Stop making every sentence a paragraph. Argh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm moving in with two mosselmen (one of whom is technically a woman) in about a month anything I should watch out for? I hear their heathen prophet Mohammut is a ghastly brute indeed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But I don't like lamb :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I couldn't get my license ten years ago because my foreign birth certificate, translated and signed by a JP, was not sufficient proof of ID. They told me I needed photo ID. Every form of photo ID needs photo ID to get or a NZ birth cert. Got my license eventually by complaining louder and higher up the food chain for several weeks.

Not that long ago, I lost my license due to accumulated demerits. When the demerits expired I couldn't get it back because, again, lack of photo ID. I asked why they can't just use the license they've just taken off me for photo ID.

"We can't use a disqualified license as valid photo ID."

So they're certain enough it's me that they won't let me use my disqualified license as ID to get my license un-disqualified because it's not sufficient proof of identity because it's disqualified and I can't get it un-disqualified because they can't be certain it's me because.......

Eventually I had to go to court and sign an affidavit swearing that it's me. My experience with this process leads me to believe that I could walk into court, assert that I'm Adolf Hitler based on a hastily-typed-up payslip from my office lady with my address and name on it, get an affidavit then get a license to that effect.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fong posted:

possibly going to meet JK in a few weeks, what should I do?

other than have a beer with him like the good bloke deserves

WarpedNaba posted:

Not very often I think "All that photo is missing is an armed hand grenade."

You know what to do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Infotainment! posted:

We basically live in an ongoing civil war between artists and farmers. Every 9 years the balance of power flips from one to the other. Right now the farmers are at the pinnacle of their turn.
In short this means the economy, quality of life, quality of governance, respect for human rights, infrastructure and employment are all hosed due to unbelievably myopic thick shitedness.
If you are American please don't say "it's literally lord of the rings!!!11!!" when you arrive. The cultural cringe will make the testicles of any New Zealander in earshot ascend into their stomach.
But at least it's not Australia.

100% accurate, especially the last part.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

People who have to meet other people for a living are either condescending shitheels or make an effort to actually have a chat with you & Key is really good at coming across as the latter. You also have to remember that he's following on from English & Brash so he's def. an improvement for a National leader.

I would say people who aren't famous or in power are cunts too, you see them every day and you're polite and they function in society but you don't like them because they're cunts. They're just ordinary people.

John Key is just one of those cunts, but occupies a position of political power and is well known. Everything else, his actions and attitude, stems from his fundamental cuntyness, just like the the guy who cuts you off in traffic or the guy at work you don't like because he's always calling you bozza even though your name is steve, whatever.

He's just an ordinary every day oval office.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:drat: where was this??

Jacobin posted:

In other news drivers taking it upon themselves to aggressively confiscate the keys off of tourist drivers deemed terrible vigilante style is now an established thing particularly in the SI

*whiny voice* But they're foreeeeiiiign!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NZers arguing about localised issues in their province is like ants arguing about which patch of driveway gets more sun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Exhale the grass

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

I'm cool with legalised weed but it shouldn't be something you can drive under the influence of or operate heavy machinery, etc.

I don't even know how you would measure that.

Probably the way you measured alcohol intoxication before breathalysers. Alcohol being another mind-altering substance under the influence of which you can't drive or operate heavy machinery.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah man. The graph clearly shows most racist cops are from the south island.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The other day I was at a low volume vehicle compliance place owned and operated by one guy from the south island (I know this because he told me he moved up from Invercargill). I mentioned something about a crazy modified Japanese car I saw on the net and said something like "Seems like they modify cars [in japan] in random wacky ways just for kicks"

His reply?

"I reckon they all want to do something different and be different to eachother cause they all look the same. I can't tell them apart at all so I guess they want to stand out from eachother?"

xiw posted:

I enjoyed counterprotesting Chapman's white pride march a year or two ago. They decided to march on Merivale for some reason? Anyway I will forever treasure Chapman trying to argue that his lot are totally not nazis, while this guy stood behind him:

Why has he got an Isle of Man logo in the middle of his swastika...?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

all of nz's islands are bad imo

Nah. Stewart island's all good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What decile is the school? Not stirring poo poo, am honestly curious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the dumbshit who gave out a girl's number without her knowledge or consent did so because she kicked him in the balls last year. For gently caress's sake. :ughh:

Hahahahahahahahaaaa that is amazing!

Also:

oohhboy posted:

I rather have poo poo Stirrer Winston than any National candidate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

It's not like state schools are perpetually strapped for cash and desperate for resources. poo poo, teaching is an easy job and it's basically like babysitting, right? It's not like I'm responsible for the learning of over 100 kids, using my own money to acquire teaching resources or every-day things like stationery for the students or even occasionally acting as a social worker and/or counsellor for them, keeping an eye out for any red flags that may pop up that the school might have missed because some kids really keep poo poo that we should know about to themselves, or stay up until the wee hours of the morning assessing their work and providing them with feedback and constructive criticism or using my free time putting together activities for a Y10 class that are "mixed ability" but contain kids that have a reading age of about 5 that they can engage with, while trying to find ways to get them to try and read a novel. Nope.

This is terrible and actually makes me feel glad I only have to do lifespan-reducing physical labour on machines for a pittance. Not an easy feat!

I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess that the majority of teachers do not have your dedication to giving a poo poo; that was certainly the impression I got from highschool a decade ago.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Oh, what I described is every-day stuff. One of my Associate Teachers when I was a Student Teacher gave me a bit of advice that I see the value of every day - "Sometimes you just can't afford to care in this job." I've got kids with family members that were murdered, and there are times when my students take time off because of drama at home. The point my AT was making was that pretty much every kid walks into class with some sort of baggage, and when we start having to counsel them, it ends up bogging us down and it leads to burn out. If they've got issues, I will be mindful of them, but I can't let that dictate how I interact with them in class. Sometimes, that can actually be beneficial to them, because stuff like "I'm the kid with the dad that got murdered" doesn't end up becoming an albatross around their neck.

Do you think there's any sort of quantifiable explanation for why some teachers are feared by even the worst classes whilst others get worn down to gibbering wrecks in a matter of days?

As you grow up you realize the teachers you hated at school because they were "assholes" probably had it worse than some moron loving kid who hated school did.

Pretty sure the one that smacked me in the head and told me not to blaspheme in his class was an rear end in a top hat. Growing older has not changed my view on this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Infotainment! posted:

I saw one riding a unicorn with Bigfoot one time.

:drat:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's a legit cool guy though despite looking like a gargoyle.

Proof is in the socks:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

get rid of electorates

one vote

for the party you want

Nah. Get rid of democracy. Nobody knows what's really good for them.

Not joking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

instead of candidates or party names, you have to put a tick next to a summary of the party's policies that you like the most

they are then legally bound to follow through when in power

still, people would find a way to ruin that wouldn't they

You're onto it, but you've missed the fundamental flaw of any democracy: most people are dumb cunts.

Any system, however perfect and fair, that relies on the decision making of dumb cunts is doomed to failure. Thus the choices are to educate and raise people in a way that they aren't dumb cunts, or to get rid of the dumb cunts altogether. So the most economical solution by far is still:

Vagabundo posted:

Get rid of people, all of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

John Key, a robot made flesh by Newstalk ZB

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Funny they mention North Korea but not the South. Eh.

Still, not sure why people care about spying on friendly countries: The more we know about them, the friendlier we are! :downs:

If they have nothing to hide, they have nothing to fear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Depends on the way the election is organised. Some you only need to do 1, some the number of seats available, sometimes some other arbitrary number, sometimes every seat. Gotta check each election, because they all run under different rules.

Everything about the australian system reeks of something that works brilliantly in theory but breaks down badly when dumbfuckery gets factored in.

• Locked thread