Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I appreciate this new thread

Should be more about how the OECD said the entire country would be significantly wealthier (and richer people even richer) if we werent so set on neoliberal policy more than almost anyone else for 20 years but the architects of this are rich and dying off laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
In other news drivers taking it upon themselves to aggressively confiscate the keys off of tourist drivers deemed terrible vigilante style is now an established thing particularly in the SI

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Honestly though the south gets a bad rap - deservedly - but only in some areas. Remember that this place has the economic development of a country like the Czech Republic whereas the north is somewhat more like France. Lots of heritage and beauty down here. Yeah there were some slaves down here too. For my 2c on "Mah roads" chat - one of these incidents occurred on the Otago Peninsula - which is otherwise an incredibly serene place and "Lifestyle" destination because it is like 30-40 minutes commute - but along this single road with only one shoulder almost the entire way and very few bicycle lanes or crash barriers. Just REALLY close to the water anyways- if anyone was going to pop a nut it would be at a mass blockage on that road.

But on that note- Im pretty much in :sparkles::pcgaming::pcgaming: because my 2xconnections to unlimited gigabit internet in Dunedin for just $25 per week each are going on in a week or so. :pcgaming: One of the connections is in my near-central (5 mins walk to Octagon, medium-large studio space with access to kitchen/shower and own external entrance and great views for a measly $80 rent. My 1930's complex flat weekly rent is $105 (15 minutes walk to Octagon, 5 minutes drive) and that is where I am getting my other gigabit connection. :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Jobs aint very plentiful down here but if you can get one or have some non-location defined employment this is a hell of a lot of lifestyle at an affordable price not to mention other nature bullshit about the SI

Come down here y'all, invest some of your capital

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 3, 2015

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I dont really post anymore but it was about a year ago I posted some unhinged ranting on here as a serious bout of mental illness was beginning and received some pretty appropriate / direct advice

Well Id just thought Id say I appreciated it and life is pretty sweet and I am employed about as much as the rest of my peers - that being quite precariously and pretty low paid - but holding it down and staying healthy.

chur

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Just on the general appreciative note,

I don't know many Maori words or that many concepts off hand but there are a bunch I really dig and occasionally bring out

TAIHOA! to basically mean SLOW DOWN - with the idea someone is being rash and moving too quickly for their boots -I find particularly stirring.

I have remarked upon seeing a woman doing an impressive feat that she is a Wahine Toa and I find this phrase both sexy and strong and is fitting for a strong woman and I received a positive response from this

The concept of mana also really embodies a particular kind of respect that isn't quite the same as 'respect' and I like it

I also occasionally, when I am hungry, think "I need to feel my puku" and rubbing my belly conjures this word to my conciousness

Enjoy the maori language everyone, in whatever goon way possible :>

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

A human heart posted:

are you drunk mate

Just a bit.

Seriously though, New Zealands biculturalism is quite great, when its allowed to be.

E: by this I mean, I love hearing Maori words and phrases casually sprinkled in/absorbed by people who just frankly aren't culturally Maori at all, and having it generally accepted and rolled with. Then there are of course people who try and shoot it down and RARRRr etc. etc. but not in my circles :)

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 3, 2015

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Once you realise the website required no verification for email addresses this becomes much less interesting :<

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I obviously have pretty formed opinions before this but the New Zealand Government is actually literally starting to slip in 'highly classified court sessions' or 'secret courts' or 'whatever book title you want to compare it to' provisions into legislation.

I am just going to drop my wig into conversation and encourage all readers to come right down to Tūrangawaewae :

The Attorney General has 'casually' proposed amendments to add "Closed material proceedings" or "Secret Courts" or "book title reference of your choice" to Health and Safety legislation and is already enshrined in our TICSA legislation (it is from there I was originally interested and concerned). These provisions allow for special advocates who are to mediate between the accused and represent them but keep the evidence being used to convict them and to keep that information confidential as necessary/sought by the Government Agency at hand.

This does not substantially address the inherent unfairness of keeping evidence secret from the accused being used to convict the Government will suggest is still necessary. I imagine said person saying there are always cases that cross over national security and we can't discuss EVERYTHING that is relevant to the case, even in health and safety. Like a soldier getting injured in a not--unclassified place or exercise, maybe they are claiming ACC for repetitive stress injury from operating a Drone or something. We don't want to disclose the location, or the nature of the drone operation table in the case. They will make it sound trivial or something.

Realistically, someone would say, that these provisions would affect very few people and probably at worst be used against that nominally pro ISIS Maori guy who was on the Herald Front Cover when he tries to pop the Waihopai dome cover and there isn't a jury willing to basically refused to convict. No one really feels bad?

Still yet, there are mounds, mounds, of scholarship and lived experiences that indicate these expansions of secrecy in the Courts are not good for freedoms, liberties, human rights and so on and completely ripe for abuse and have a chilling effect on the population that are in sum, contrary to our principles of justice and rule of law. Even if they can be effectively put into practice, the harms and weakening of trust in our court process and democratic processes I argue outweigh the gains of the legislative policy. As soon as some moderately bad things happen, these provisions will be exercised with greater strength and with more ease than we can easily expect now.

The best form of legal resistance is to promote the idea that cases can only be decided on fully admitted evidence. Perhaps, some sort of confidential information can be allowed to deny you bail, but it cannot convict you, or sentence you based on that information. The Law Society themselves have indicated some attention to this issue and willingness to resist the adoption of special advocates and closed material proceedings:

" “However, it should always be a measure of last resort. A closed material proceedings and special advocate regime should only be used in very limited and carefully defined circumstances.”

The Law Society says that in all but the most unusual of circumstances, the Crown should be able to make its decisions and prepare its case without substantial reliance on “national security information”. " - Law Talk Issue 870

---

Given the High Courts track record with name suppression I am not sure how they may fare difficulties of keeping high profile cases secret enough to the liking of the provisions above. I had some other ideas but I will just say please inform your friends in not-excessively dramatic terms and resist this noise, no godwin is necessary

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Laughed momentarily at @Hypnoflag and then all potential for laughing about this left my body

ungh

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

When Year Zero began we constructed the obsidian peak in the centre of the top level of the Centre Totem, once a depraved and substandard place of gambling constructed by former leaders on the backs of our kin. In our new capital of Apex Aotearoanis we obscured all mention of its former reactionary past of Auckland.

The crushing ceremony on the peak stone began slow but increased in pace, as all manners of those who played sports and enjoyed "ferns" and had anything to do with salaried or waged printed or visual media in the former state were to the first to begin the flow of red down the triangle stone that was to be kept flowing in perpetuity, as a sign of the Apex's rebirth, and rejection of the former condition.

We were not sure how long this procession must continue, but after a time it gained a value in itself. to question the peaks function was to question everything

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Slavvy posted:

KYOONzealand.

I am just an occasional amateur... there is no mention of the TPPA or "Due authority" conspiracy theory there, that would be too real. Can't believe that actually got enough traction on social media to make the news ><

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Today is a really fabulous day in Dunedin folks hope its well where you are

As an aside, I feel like vacuuming my own car, hope no one snaps a shot of me bending over etc.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

focal ischemia posted:

Does anyone know why the chance of labour winning the 2017 election has shot up past 50% on iPredict in the last few days?

At this point its still only like... $30-60 bucks to swing that much? (I haven't looked, also deleted ipredict account after last election)

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I used Donotlink.

I read the link.

I laughed deeply.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Just my 2c to get in there:

Any decent or thankfully mitigating clauses can only be attributed to the recognised fear of resistance, legal response, unpopularity as pointed out by tpp critics and the public over the last six years. Meanwhile being dismissed by Groser etc as baseless fears.

Now afterwards some will say "oh look its not that bad, people were on about nothing".

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

jpparker55 posted:

What's the verdict on the TPPA for NZ now that the info is out? From what I gather, we don't seem to gain much and will adopt a bunch of American IP laws. So basically what was always expected?

Its hard to give a verdict just yet- there is a lot of material to work through.

Some things won't really be able to assessed until there is some evidence of the resources put into application and enforcement that could still be many years away. There will still be a lot of conflict, argument about how things go in practice.

Analogy: Consider New Zealand's 'skynet' IP infringement targeting law, holding the operators of WiFi networks more or less strictly liable for any infringement that happens on their network, your flatmate downloading the torrents and you might not even know etc.

Anyways the law gets brought in, everyone is scared, a handful of people get notices because someone downloaded Beyonce and its as bad as everyone thought for a few people who get dragged in Court and significant harm to their lives. Tough deal for them but well... they are under 20 people from memory... its not quite the Skynet levels of interference we were worried about. But the tribunal quickly starts to turn out to be a lumbering beast, the process of issuing the notices and so on is too costly to keep up purely for "deterrence" value and just grinding against all of the natural ways ISP's and internet user do things. All the lawyers and official folks who fill these committees start to see it not as some arm of innovative property enforcement but just a grind. Credit to ISP's and everyone who made it difficult for them, just as it was made a cost and difficult for them. We would now say the risk of being pinged under the law is very small, contained. Few or no notices have been issued recently and it seems like its more or less a dead-letter committee on its way out.

Unless you are getting on the level of that Mt Wellington mass-torrent seeder/creator FIFY or something, I would wager realistically you can just torrent and download as much as you did before that law came in just the same as before, really.

RE whats in the TPPA and in practice: some of the ships will come straight to harbour, some will run aground or get lost, some will just patrol around the EEZ trying to make sure we know they are there just in case.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 6, 2015

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Spiteski posted:

In other news, finally decided to get fibre in the new place. Had them tell us Chorus would be in 3 times over the next month to talk about plan, sign off on plan, set up outside stuff and finally wire inside.
Today, the local Chorus guy rocks up, says "yea nah we'll do it today eh" and 1hour later they've dug a trench, cut concrete, re-concreted set up and we're off laughing.

To me this is amazing because I've heard nothing but horror stories, and our old place had fibre before we moved in so no experience to draw on.

I am truly happy for you.

My experience was not so good, a contributor to a period of madness, and a friend of mine recently TLDR basically had this happen, in conjunction with the apparent decline in service as Snap has merged with 2Degrees:

X = Person
X puts in considerable effort getting appoints for scoping/install w/ Chorus, has a bit of issues with this and gets slow responses but holds on pretty calmly w/ delays knowing it will pay off
*X is admittedly one month late paying said months bill but has been good before this/not exactly a red letter account*
Chorus arrives for install at different/unannounced time than previously informed while X' isn't there, proceeds with install with X's flatmate who is like 40-50 years old there
Chorus runs into issue w/ getting connection to run, asks 2Degrees
2Degrees rep says "Account suspended due to lack of payment" (infringement of privacy act, supposed to say some generic/not personal information infringing reason...)
Chorus rep immediately tells 40-50 year old flatmate who barely understands the internet "won't currently connect, accounts suspended due to lack of payment" (another infringement...)
40-50 year old flatmate basically doesn't understand internet, whole situation injects enormous distrust into flatting situation
X comes home and has to reconstruct this whole thing, realises he forgot to pay bill, now has flatmate who think he is a dodgy person
Due to this situation injected in with some other issues, X feels truly uncomfortable going home and is moving flats

Internets is serious business man

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Ill never forget Malcolm Turnbull saying the word "hackers" several time in the reclaimed innovation-progressive-lawful (definitely not cracking) sense of the word to the GovHack awards in Sydney in a pre-recorded address like a week before he became Prime Minister lol

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Just before I go to bed-

That spinoff article is an absolutely marvellous read. I sent the author Duncan a praising email.

- Nails the "show, don't tell" method of depicting what can be too easily dismissed as awful
- More scandalous (in a more dignified way) than the entire output of Scout

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Gonna vote red peak first ballot [1] and list out the rest so the weetbix fern is [5]. Spoil second ballot/informal vote.

Want my chance to demonstrate aesthetic taste but defer any judgment in process :c00lbutt:

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

emminou posted:

Don't vote for a new fleg guys.

I don't always want my Freeman On The Land / Sovereign Citizen legal advice, but when I do, I want it on Yik Yak

As an aside- I will be Red Peak [1] Koru Swirl [2] Meh [3-4] Weet-bix fern [5]

Considering spoiling my 2nd referendum ballot just to retain some sliver of radical "f this" cred

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Laverna posted:

I think I heard someone mention that Red Peak looks kind of like an abstract vagina, and ever since then I can't see it as anything else.

Maybe I could use that to justify voting for it as like a feminist statement.

Reposting

E: just to clarify, to avoid any potential confusion with your statement, I have a different interpretation of the Red Peak as a symbol for the coming dawn of human sacrifice over New Zealand.

A flag for all!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 22, 2015

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Punching out of the country today to the USA indefinitely folks, hope you are all alive and NZ society is still recognisable under the return of Collins.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I will unironically be participating in a goonshot social event at a firing range somewhere in the South sometime in January with fellow posters of this forum, Ill post pictures here

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Trivia:

I am intending on going to the shooting range tomorrow. I am bringing 5 A4 pieces of paper with a colour graphic printed on them (I didn't print them- got given them after a Christmas party trivia quiz) which I intend to shoot various kinds of ammunition at. What are on the pieces of paper?

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I always double-take because of the charity Plunket, which is supposed to be all good and stuff and pro children.

Vagabundo posted:

The alternate flag designs.

Yes...

By order of preference:

[1] Derringer
[2] Ruger Mk 3
[3] .38 Chiefs Special
[4] Glock 17
[5] 12 Gauge

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

WarpedNaba posted:

Can any of those carry incendiary rounds?

There is a goon shoot in March where they do stuff like fill cans of incendiary material or shoot high powered rifles at motorcycle helmuts and stuff so we will have to wait for the result of the 2nd referendum

I have some qualms about shooting an actual flag though, like thats edging a little into the anti-nationality territory and there are plenty enough typical people shooting pics of Obama and should really be under watch of the Secret Service in this country.

But for now they are just tea towels and I am pop pop popping

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Went to the shooting range but forgot to bring the tea towel printouts sorry guys, next time :/

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Pararoid posted:

It feels like everyone I talk to about the issue is stuck in the 80s, when either they raised their kids, or when they were kids. It just never seriously occurs to them that things might actually be different for young families now, and that the kind of budgeting that worked in 1987 would fall flat on its face now.

Our whole culture is kinda still stuck in a mid-80's "life goes on..." attitude post-Rogernomics I reckon

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
If it is any consolation to any of us, a person would have to be the really stupid and a barely kind of 'rich' person to allow yourself into the NZ Herald for some puff piece like that.

All the super rich we actually barely know about have lifestyles of magnitudes more opulence and indifference/ignorance of the lives of the poor

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 16, 2015

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Great news but then again I think about what any alternative could be and it would be practically complete extinction of journalistic privilege

New Zealands a small place, met Hager once myself, so this feels like a personal relief as well for some others I know who know him closely. Its not easy and there are lot of people trying extract your energy in a position like his- much less cops raiding etc.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Merry Christmas from Florida at 10am 12/25/2015 in unreasonably humid heat

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

My worry about having such a voting system like New Zealand's is that it will encourage too much centrists politics so radical change is hard to make happen and the needle rarely moves on social and especially economic issues. Are my worries justified? Is New Zealand more "centrist' than other nations?

I think this has to be considered against the entire backdrop of why MMP voting system was introduced following the 1980's i.e. one Government having massive interventionist policies to swinging the complete other direction to creating GST, slashing income tax and selling off monopolies for chump change.

People campaigning against FPP/ for MMP were foremost utterly burnt out on the extreme swift changes possible under the previous voting system and two major parties who could switch policy gears faster than any sort of party blocs could form.

New Zealand is centrist as in neo-liberal consensus. We increasingly exclude the ability for a Government of The Day to make any actually important policies or decisions that would affect anything really contentious- this is considered appropriate if not entirely good because the psyche is still haunted by periods of memories of 'radical change'. Of course, this actually just benefits the existing order and entrenched/entrenching wealth.

It will take for that memory to die for radical change to happen- MMP is just a means.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 26, 2015

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I mean to argue a lot of people supporting transition to MMP thought it was a way to stem excesses of Rogernonics and before that, rightly or wrongly.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 26, 2015

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Hey guys! I am currently like 8 hours drive (thats Nelson->Dunedin FYI) from where this most recent militia standoff with the federal government is happening in Oregon

dw there are guns in the house so Im safe

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
When I was like 15 I remember my Dad taking me aside at an electronic store checkout and spending a good 10 minutes explaining why gift cards were a bad idea and why businesses love gift cards.

Aged a few years and still don't buy gift cards but there is still this weird stigma about giving cash as a gift- mainly because of lack of perceived thought into the gift or that people could use the money on frivolous crap if its a gift to teens etc. eh

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I had the uh pleasure of lunch with Jamie Whyte in the run up to the last election. I honestly didn't expect his name to come across a screen of mine ever again but eh, I may have posted in here before a long time ago about this but this just jogged my memory and so I thought Id write it down and share it. The lunch was shortly before he was confirmed as the party leader candidate and was at a cafe on the Dunedin waterfront.

I was invited by my earnest intentioned friend who for a time was a real true believer that ACT could be a libertarian party and not just about racist wealthy white people. The group who attended the lunch were 5 young Pakeha men and one dual-heritage male New Zealander (person mentioned before) and Whyte. My friend invited me as a critical plant because he wanted my opinion. I genuinely was there just to observe in good faith this candidate and hoped to learn something and not any scrub muckraking stuff young nats tend to do. When Whyte later in the campaign turned around and tried to do One Law For All 2.0 after his 'principled neoliberalism' etc. was failing my friend finally got ready to excommunicate himself- anyways you can look him up if you really want to he was a candidate.

RE the lunch:

When I arrived Jamie seemed to assume that we were all members of Act on Campus and 'definitely on the same team' more or less. The first thing I noticed was that he started making jokes about the lack of young women present at the lunch, imputing that this was a problem of ACT on Campus people not bringing in enough women and some blokeish jokes about us not being attractive enough. I noticed this immediately as a sign of a deeply and solely managerial person, in reality the problem was his for not being an attractive and inspiring enough candidate, and reflective of ACTs leadership.

Some other gems just got refreshed in my memory:

1. "The global financal crisis has made people not trust reforms for the benefits of real capitalism. We have to make them trust us again for more reform so they can see those benefits, and not just as a party for people with rich mates" TLDR basically was like "the GFC is a problem for our narrative" bluntly.
2. I asked him a few well meaning questions about how he would respond to questions or issues. I asked about technological innovation, and how technological unemployment could require different kinds of policies in our time than simply calling for people to retrain he just kind of repeated that the issues were the same. People worried about technological changes were luddites and should all get new jobs (mentioned examples such as massage therapists who can work flexible hours, contrasted these flexible jobs with allusions to early 20th century kinds of manual farm labour and we should be happy).

Anyways-
My brain sometimes still gets rocked at how others brains cannot seem to grasp or even entertain the idea of social deprivation, or social poverty. Some combination of upbringing, experience and wilful blindness really does just seem to make it completely invisible to them. Like- SURE, if you apply some sort of cold alien look at material goods that we need to survive- i.e. the obsession with refrigerators- you can somehow say there is no poverty (but there definitely is even on this standard for some people but anyways) but poverty is about being in a position of having to beg or access benefits in the first place.

TLDR: full socialism plz

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 7, 2016

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
That fence is pretty shocking, the sheer chutzpah of it

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Lancelot posted:

Wellington is city built for people rather than cars. Auckland is really underdeveloped in the CBD, to the extent that any road that isn't one of the main streets (Queen, High, Karangahape) is really dreary and horrible to walk along. The University is right next to a four-lane highway that you have to cross to get the bus. In Wellington the whole city, from Cuba across to the Beehive, is full of interesting cafes and stores even when you turn down side-streets you haven't seen before.

Dunedin also- a city on the smaller of all possible scales of cities- is deeply concentrated and friendly to walk amongst the gothic aesthetic and old buildings. Parking is terrible because its so concentrated. The bus services are hit and miss with few lines considered particularly reliable and on time.

Takes 10-15 minutes drive to get anywhere/out of the city. When I am old enough with some kind of capital to own a home with actual modern insulation and HVAC and some kind of continuing work/thing to keep me busy in Dunedin, I am heading back.

Cynical part of my brain things Dunedin/ Otago will be a good place of the world to be as climate change rolls on, even though South Dunedin built on reclaimed land and with our most vulnerable population is in for a rough time :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
For some reason computer posted twice.

Anyways- I am going to a Bernie Sanders volunteer event in Atlanta tonight, will try and post some pics folks

• Locked thread