Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Infotainment! posted:

Farmers are still mostly idiots.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/business/64891314/Workplace-rules-erode-any-future-for-farming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

The river poisoning potential of the Ruataniwha dam is postponing its construction. I think those concerns are taken seriously, I can only speak for the farms around me though.

Farms are generally no good without usable water. It's not in their interest to pollute their supply

Only important the water you get is usable, gently caress those other bastards downstream. Probably dole bludgers anyway.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Stop bumping the old thread you backwards, thick headed philistines.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Fairly believable apparently I could get 2-3 times my current pay in Auckland or Wellington but then I would have to pay more than 2-3 times for a similar house and land as well as a much longer commute in actual traffic.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB0ZOu_EZ2M

It is like he is actively trying to be the embodiment of a parody.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Butt Wizard posted:

Whale Oil has been hinting there's been some pretty vile things to come out about a National Party MP and openly asking why they aren't doing anything about it. It's probably better to ask what he has to gain by them finally getting the arse.

Does Sabin support Collins or someone else?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

http://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/66148820/Abusive-John-Key-message-substituted-for-address

Barons it looks like your tax return was lost in the mail.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Binkenstein posted:

No, but they can act as judgemental as gently caress while supplying it.

So the army guys off killing Arabs need to say "I'm not racist but ... " While doing it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

There was a big announcement this afternoon on compensation for David Bain...

And they have decided to commission another report on the matter. It is almost as if they are trying as hard as possible to avoid making the call and hoping to put it off until there is a change of government.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Meander posted:

I think Cabinet should just make a decision - no report is ever going to come to an unarguable position.
Cabinet will keep kicking that can down the road until the focus groups tell them which way the general public leans. Seems to be about 50/50. With no real distinction along political lines and they don't want to annoy half the voters for no real gain for them either way.
They want to put it off until they can make someone else eat that particular poo poo sandwich.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Meander posted:

Yeah I think a lot of the profession felt the same as you. Of course, most of us also have a view on whether he did it or not too. I guess there was no alternative short of not having a retrial but it was not ideal.

I think the second verdict was right in that there was reasonable doubt that Bain was guilty. I also think if Robin Bain was somehow on trial, there would be reasonable doubt he was guilty, even though one of the two did it.

As to compensation though, different kettle of fish altogether.

Someone told me that both trials gave the right verdict based on the evidence presented at them. The second trial the crown was not able to present all of the evidence they had due to issues of failing memories, some witnesses passed away and some supporting documentation and artifacts being lost.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Smithersnz posted:

And then Linda Cooper, councilwoman:

It is all ok apparently because she meant he was being a righteous rooster and not a reference to anatomy as everyone who was not trying to backtrack from saying something like that would assume.
http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/66525837/Councillor-issues-apology-after-name-calling

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

How visibly queer?

Wearing the copyrighted pink shirt approved by the corporate oversight committee to display membership of Queer inc (TM).

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Dashcam footage uploaded to YouTube or it didn't happen

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Butt Wizard posted:

also Dean Barker has been given the arse.
Not really surprising he is 43 now. Time to transition him to a management role on shore.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

fong posted:

possibly going to meet JK in a few weeks, what should I do?

other than have a beer with him like the good bloke deserves

Ask him if he has stairs in his house.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

But some Aucklanders can swim and others own boats. They might make landfall on the South Island!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think most of Chapman's followers moved to Christchurch from all areas of the country to be with him. Could have just as easily been in Hamilton. Although the local black power or mongrel mob may have put them in their place if they were closer to the upper North Island.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

No I am saying that they moved to where an apparent leader emerged. If he lived in Hamilton they would have moved there. But that they would then probably come into direct conflict with other gangs in the area.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

As far as I can tell they are just not going to throw too many resources towards trying to win a by-election they had at best an outside chance of winning.
Better leave it to Peters to upset and cause issues for national.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think Binkenstein is advocating PV instead of STV for electorates. Still have the same number of electorates and one mp per electorate but instead of ticking one candidate you rank them. Under the proposed STV scheme the electorates would be larger and represented by five winning candidates. Like how health boards are currently picked.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

Ugh boring it's about infant formula.
Explains the halt apparently placed on dairy related trading someone mentioned to me earlier today.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The only group more nutty than the 1080 protestors around here are the Cowboys employed to spread it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Where's my frickin two lane bridges or do I have to be in northland

National has been promising to convert the Taramakau bridge to two lanes since 2008.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Zanziabar posted:

No one actually watches X thing but you can find the video of them blasting the contestant here

http://www.3news.co.nz/entertainment/natalia-kills-willy-moon-fired-from-x-factor-nz-2015031614#axzz3UUEOTE98

Pretty sure that is why it is happening. No one is watching so they need controversy to put it in the news and remind people it exists.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ivor Biggun posted:

Might be the wrong thread but 2Degrees just announced they are buying Snap. The New Zealand telco industry just got a little bit smaller.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/67477154/2degrees-buys-telco-snap-in-step-towards-full-service

Makes sense Snap is being creamed by Vodafone and Spark due to inability to offer combined mobile and landline/broadband services.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

How else do you think whale oil heard about it?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

John Key was just at the cafe where I'm having breakfast. He looked like he was having a really poo poo day.

To be fair if I saw a goon while having breakfast I would consider it a lovely start to the day too.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

:ssh: there were no bridges

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

For some reason People have been sharing stuff from Veitch in relation to the CWC and in response people are replying with reminders of his criminal conviction.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

So he is like a crappy NZ version of Jeremy Clarkson.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

dusty posted:

I think you meant to write "greatest living New Zealander"

Those two statements are not necessarily contradictory.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Most sports are bad. The only exceptions being the ones I follow.
They should be on free to air at a time convenient for me.
The others can stay on Sky and they can all be bad together.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The ones not covered are meant to already be covered by ACC but some gps apparently tack on an additional surcharge for those visits which is not covered by the policy.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Countdown to a leak of the waiters' identity through the regular channels.

It will be ignored at first, hoping it never gets mentioned any where near mainstream news. But if it does gain any kind of traction prepare for the usual social media onslaught probably with death threats to the waitress and cafe owner.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Butt Wizard posted:

My local GP visit is $47 with a CSC. The health sector is broken at almost every level.

Dr chat mine costs us $30 per visit with no CSC card. yay for being bourgeois scum in a relatively low income area I guess.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

klen dool posted:

I consider John keys actions to be sexual assault, especially so since he made the "tantalising" remark.

I would expect your average Joe on the street to be charged with assault after doing this. John Key should definitely be, since he has so much more power than you average Joe. By power, I mean the imposing fact that he is pm and the fact that he has 4 goons with him.

Maybe she did go to the police and he is the prominent New Zealander who is facing charges we aren't supposed to talk about.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I can't wait for our two-minute mention on the next episode of Last Week Tonight. Even better will be all of the shares of the clip on Facebook and the ten minute story about how we were mentioned on a US show leading the news the next night.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

"people" on my Facebook think the hair touching is normal fatherly behavior :stonkhat:

They would have a good point, if he was her father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Butt Wizard posted:

I will laugh so hard if the Alpine Fault ruptures and Key gets out of this.

You know, at the expense of hundreds of lives or something.

The loss of numerous lives of ordinary people. While keeping the image and power of the rich and powerful intact. Sounds fitting for Anzac Day.

• Locked thread