Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Hazo posted:

Done. Cool survey. Anybody want to tell me what the last snake was? I just put "Colubrid, nonvenomous." v:v:v

Screenshot it. I'm too drowsy for a survey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Here is the photo in question (I think)

99.9% sure it's Nerodia
I thinnnnnnnkkkkk Green watersnake, but I would need locality data to make a call on species with any degree of confidence.

Dog faced water snake. Cerberus rynchops.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ZarathustraFollower posted:

It's not a Cerberus rynchops. Look at the frontal scale, in Cerberus that scale doesn't extend past the post-orbital, and completely lack the parietal scales that are visible on the unknown snake.
Illustration of Cerberus rynchops scalation from wikipedia

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CerebrusRynchopsScales.svg

Photo of a dog-faced snake in shed showing that scalation

Source: http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/dog-faced_water-snake.htm

Photo of a diamond-backed water snake head:

Banded water snake head:

That's the first thing I noticed, but it probably has something to do with the fact I spent several hours this week with every single racer and couchwhip specimen my uni has looking at head scales to find any difference.

Edit: One thing that really pissed me off about that survey was the question "Name three native herp species in your area that you think need less federal/state protection" There was no version or option that more protection is needed across the board, which is what I ended up typing in. Herps have some of the lowest relative legal status among vertebrates and what they do have is ill-enforced.

drat, I didn't look at the head scales. The pattern is spot on for a juvie dog faced though. Haha I'm stumped.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

beyonder posted:

Could it be natrix natrix? Scales on top of its head look like they might match.

On a second thought, maybe not. Mystery noodle lacks neck splotches.

I think it might be an oddball patterned Natrix maura

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
As long as there's plenty of hiding spots a cage cannot be too big

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

happyflurple posted:

Do you just sort of thaw them as usual and then just chuck it in there and keep an eye on it? Been meaning to give our beardie a pinkie for a while as our snakes have progressed to fuzzies. She's seven months or so, too young or?

Got a four year old male corn snake the other day as a friend's son couldn't keep him any more. Got him warmed up and set up in his tank and he looks so drat goofy when he eats I wish I'd taken a photo. Four snakes now, said that's the lot until we move now, our spare room is basically a reptile room now and I want the remaining space to set up a little den for myself damnit,

You can feed beardies live pinks or small fuzzies. It's not like they'll fight back and injure the beardie.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

so my female ball python hasn't eaten in 5 weeks, what should I do? at first I was told that it's a normal thing for them to not be as hungry during the winter/during a shed. But she's losing weight, her shed's over, and I'm getting concerned. at what point do i force feed?

she's always been fed live mice/rats, never been able to get her to eat a frozen one. right now she just acts really disinterested in food, which has never been a problem with her in the past. current routine is i dim the bathroom lights and feed her in the bathtub.

she is about 13-14 years old, do they just do this when they're old?

5 weeks is no big deal. Big adults can go for months without eating with no ill effects. Just be patient and don't worry unless she starts losing a lot of weight.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Desert Bus posted:

What would be a good snake for a 45 gallon tall tank, measurements: 36 1/4" tall 12 5/8" deep 23 3/4" wide? Something that won't outgrow it and likes the height.

I'm going avoid saying "cornsnake" and instead suggest a Baird's ratsnake. Like most ratsnakes, they enjoy climbing.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also, does anyone have any recomendations on where to grab frozen rats online? Any place that humanely kills the rats is preferred.

We were grabbed a few from a local pet store but have decided not to get anymore from them after finding out they basically kill the rats by slamming their heads against a countertop :stare:

Most of the big rodent companies kill via CO2 suffocation. A quick thump if done correctly is almost surely less painful

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I use a rodent trebuchet to launch them against a brick wall, humanely killing them and also making outsider art.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

BarqueCat posted:

Very nice way to re-enter the thread 😝

On topic, this is the real reason I don't have any snakes - it really bothered me to feed them.

Real talk: I'm actually pretty soft hearted and don't like to kill anything, but I approached prekilling as being merciful. Better to be killed instantly than constricted by a snake.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Feeding prekilled is of course preferable, but it isn't always possible. Some snakes simply will not eat prekilled.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Prekilled is fine and dandy for little pigs like kingsnakes and such, the problem is more about more specialized feeders. I've only had a couple lizard eaters that would take f/t.

As for the humid hide, try to make it more cavelike. If it's not opaque, try making a new one that is. If it's already opaque try putting it in a new area or changing the location of the entrance.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

dog days are over posted:

It's literally a cave hide with moist moss in it, you can't see into it except through the entrance hole. Maybe they're just stupid awkward assholes. I'll try moving it around the viv and see if it's positioning putting them off. They had an opaque sandwich box before and they didn't use that, either :goleft:

Ehh, unless they're having lovely sheds I'd just let them figure it out on their own then.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I've been half-assed looking for jayakari for about 10 years and only had one opportunity to buy some and it was when I was broke.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Anne Whateley posted:

Late to the party, but me too. At some point I really want a vegetarian, toothless Dasypeltis. They're very neat snakes, but you need a source for tiny finch or pigeon eggs before you can move up to the more common quail eggs.

They even compress and spit out the shells. Total pros.

Dasypeltis arent really that hard. If you get an adult they'll eat quail eggs that you can buy from most Asian markets. Juvies are more challenging but the ones I had took finch eggs that I got for free from the local Petsmarts and small pet shops believe it or not.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Tardigrade posted:

What are some good substrates for Greek tortoises? I'm looking into building a table, and cypress mulch is recommended. But I live in a third world country and I don't think I could find cypress chips - or worse, I could just be sold pine by people thinking I'm nuts. Anything foolproof?

Dirt? Like actual dirt from outside?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

that's a pretty gecko

our garter is getting a little big for this 5G aquarium now. do you guys think it's okay to just throw him into a 20G if we have adequate hides for him?

Absolutely. No such thing as too big of a cage so long as there's plenty of hides and it can find food and water.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is one hide on the hot side and one on the cool side sufficient or should i stick a third one in the middle? I'm still new to snakes, sorry.

One on each would probably be fine. I suggest pieces of cork bark or something else that will be low to the substrate. Snakes like hides that they have to cram themselves into as opposed to something very spacious

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Prince Reggie K posted:

http://i.imgur.com/2J9G6fI.jpg

I found this snake in Harrisburg PA. It kinda looks like a rattle snake, but it was pretty small and did not appear to have a rattle. Someone else suggested it might be a water snake. Curious to see what you guys think.

It's a baby black rat snake

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Prince Reggie K posted:

Yeah eastern milksnake seems to be it. Thanks.

It's a baby black rat snake, homie.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cless Alvein posted:

Since there is a decent crossover of people, anybody know a good place for Scorpions and Tarantulas or am I stuck searching through arachnoboards and what little is on faundaclassified?

Wanna get my first T. Thinking either Pink Toe, Mexican Red Knee or preferably a Greenbottle Blue.

As much as I'm loathe to admit, AB is a good source for private breeders. You could also check the various arachnid groups on facebook.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cless Alvein posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm like 4 1/2 hours from St. Louis so I'd be better off seeing of Milwaukee has a show going on before Tinley in mid October.

Gobeldy, that dude was one of the websites that popped constantly on both Arachnoboards and Faunaclassifieds.

I've been leaning towards https://jamiestarantulas.com
if I get impatient and can't wait for NARBC. Dude's shipping prices are great. I think it's like $17.50 for signature 48 hour live guarantee.

Probably biggest question for you Big Centipede, should I bother trying to shoot for a female since they'll live 10-25 years depending on species or play roulette and take my chances on males with a ticking clock of maybe 5 years.

If you want to get a female I suggest getting a couple slings instead of paying a lot more for a guaranteed female. You get the added enjoyment of watching them grow (which can be very slow for some species) and any males you end up with can be traded or sent for breeding loans.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ShadowHawk posted:

A bunch of superworms apparently escaped the food dish and molted in my leopard gecko's cage, now I have 8 beetles running around in there and I'm not sure how to coax them out.

Any ideas?

Place a potato slice in to attract them... or you could just leave them. They're a bit crunchy but won't hurt your leo if it eats them.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

So, after watching some vids from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqpzaj1kDbo&t=132s

I've been thinking that I may want to pick up a tarantula at the local reptile convention that is coming up next month. What I'm wondering about is; are there any things I should be getting before hand or prepare for, before purchasing one? Also, is that guy, from the youtube channel, correct in saying that "new world" tarantulas are the types I should get for a beginner?

These are the types I am probably looking for at that convention. (only getting one out of this list)

Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens - Green Bottle Blue

Avicularia Versicolor - Antilles Pink Toe

Avicularia Diversipes - Amazon Sapphire

Avicularia Purpurea - Purple Pink Toe

Cless is right a GBB would be the easiest of your list to care for. GBBs are very hardy Ts, but aren't the best for handling as they are pretty skittish.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

What would you guys consider a fair price for a GBB?

That really depends on the size. A 1" sling will probably be $25 - $35. Larger ones will be much more expensive. I suggest starting with a sling. It's fun to watch them grow and their adult colors to come in.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Cool, I'll look for that price range the.

Oh, and after some more browsing I came across Pterinopelma sazimai. What do you guys think of that T?

I've never kept that particular species, but if I recall correctly they prefer slightly cooler temperatures than most other new world species. I don't believe they are very difficult to keep though.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

hyperhazard posted:

Yeah, snakes can stress out when they're in too large of a space. When he was about 2, I moved my bp from a 20 to a 55 because I thought he needed the room (derp). He stopped eating and wouldn't leave his hidey-hole, so I ended up trying a 30, and he was fine.

I have to disagree with you there. The size isn't an issue at all, it's open space without adequate hides that causes stress. If you have a 40 gal with one little hide on one side and one little hide on the other, it could cause issues. However a 40 gal with numerous hides and decor will not only be fine, it will be preferable. The only downside to a large cage is trying to find the drat snake in it, and a baby hognose is very tiny.

As a side note though, while hognoses are a very good choice for a first snake thy do tend to spend the majority of their time burrowed in the substrate.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Anyone here raising their own dubia colony? i kinda need tips on how to keep them especially over the winter.

I just got a hundred of them and have them in one of those clear plastic bins and I bought a heat mat but I keep reading conflicting info on whether I can place the mat under the bin or not. Also I'm currently using some wet paper towels for moisture while I figure out what I want to settle on long term. I'm open to suggestions but I kinda want to avoid water crystals since they are super hard to come by where I am.

Stick it on the side and keep them in a moderately warm room and they'll be fine. Don't bother with water crystals. I have 30+ colonies and have never used them. As long as they have regular fruits and vegetables they'll be fine.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
The pad shouldn't be hot enough to melt the plastic. As far as feeding goes you'll be able to figure out pretty quickly about how much to feed. Start small and if it disappears overnight feed more the next time.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Ok, thanks.

No problem. Dubia are pretty easy to keep, just don't start feeding from the colony before it gets established and starts growing.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

I'm still growing out my colony but once I get it established what should I be feeding the dubias for gut loading?

Just a variety of good quality food. Decent dog food, carrots, sweet potato, and oranges make a good staple.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

It was a pain to take these pictures but here are the ones that aren't a total blurry mess of what I picked up Sunday.

1 Brachypelma Boehmei

5 Caribena Versicolors

4 Pterinopelma Sazimais

Very nice. Those are cool species. I'm a fan of most new world species.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

It's cute <3

Oh and I have an update on my t's:

The P. Sazimai's turned out to be a larger than 1/2" so I've had to rehouse them and I was able to get some juicy pics of one that decided to hang out on the wall of the new enclosure.

This is not the most accurate way of sexing Ts, but I'd say your saizmai looks like a female.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Cool, I'm going to mark that one down as a possible female then.

What in the picture makes you suspect it's a female?

By looking at the epigastric furrow. It's not the most accurate way of determining, and I may be wrong. I'd say I'm 70-75% sure.

http://milehighbugclub.com/Methods%20for%20Sexing%20Tarantulas.htm

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

So if I read that right then this one is a possible female?

Edit: I'm on my phone and the new pics didn't load. I'm not sure on those pics.

Big Centipede fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 4, 2017

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
The best way to sex tarantulas is from a molt. Buy a cheap magnifying loupe and it will make it much easier.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Lol, I'm gonna need like a 200x or something for molts from these tiny slings.

In other news I think I'm in love with Avics/caribena/ybyrbora species or arboreal species in general. The webbings they make are so cool. I also think I may just have to pick up a 3" Female GBB after realizing I love looking at tarantula webs.

That and I need something to eat all the feeder insects I bought at that reptile expo. As it turns out 1000 1/4 crickets + 200 mealworms (while I wait for my Dubia colony to establish itself) is waaay to much.

Oh, and HOLY HELL crickets stink like nothing I've ever smelt before. It's not like a rotting food smell or anything like that but it's this weird stink/funk that hit you like a hammer and lingers at the back of your throat and nose. It's soooo gross and trying to catch individual crickets to feed off is such a pain in the rear end.

Yeah crickets are loving gross. If you're wanting to get more arboreal species, I suggest starting a lateralis colony as well. They tend to climb more and don't burrow, which makes them easier to offer to arboreal Ts.

Also, if you like Avics, you'll love Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius species.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

OMFG, the Caribena Versicolor sling that I was freaking out over not eating and was trying to get it to feed every day molted. I am sooooo glad I didn't stress it out to death over this. I couldn't even tell it was in pre-molt, the thing wasn't particularly sluggish from what I could see and I couldn't tell if the abdomen ever got darker or not.

Christ I am so glad I didn't stress that thing to death. How long should I wait till I feed it post-molt?

Never stress over a non feeding T unless it looks like it's withering away. I've had an adult female G pulchripes go almost a year without eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

mactheknife posted:

Had the beardie out for some roaming in the apt yesterday and he managed to find/eat a balled up starburst wrapper thinking it was a berry. Definitely freaking out about this, any ideas of how to keep it from impacting? Looking at soft food and baths all week.

I imagine that should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much.