Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

edit:
THERE'S A NEW LUPIN SERIES SIMULCASTING RIGHT NOW WATCH IT ON CRUNCHYROLL

i lied this is actually the jigen appreciation station

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

yeah the tone that koike's stuff has for lupin is such a step up from the usual crap that gets released yearly- princess of the breeze and another page were astoundingly disappointing after the tv show.
the movie is pretty much like my perfect version of a random lupin episode rather than a full on tv special or movie- i really wish he'd direct a lupin-oriented series since jigen's gravestone pretty much revels in the really adventurous and stylish tone that every lupin scene had in the mine fujiko tv series

also not enough jigen appreciating in this thread

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ccs posted:

New TV series is coming out this Spring headed up by this guy: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=450

Looking at that record, it's gonna be awesome.
holy gently caress i didn't know this was coming
aaaaaaaa yesss

Srice posted:

It's really hard to find out what to watch after you get through the usual recommendations because boy howdy there is a fair share of dull, bland Lupin stuff.
yeah, definitely. the tv specials especially suffer from this simply by nature of volume and what you like out of lupin stuff since there's a quite a bit of a spectrum to the kinda adventure genres covered of wildly varying quality

also here's jigen on a minecart

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 19, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

If they did a show with the pervert Goemon from Mine Fujiko who still tried to stay true to his samurai code it would be really funny and good

thats my 2nd favorite goemon

the dub for the 2nd series goemon is my fav bc he's really chill and super wry instead of just being a straight-faced boremaster

also randomly he does poo poo like kill jesus's twin vampire sister instead of being useless

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dexie posted:

I liked Crisis in Tokyo but it's been so long since I've seen it that I'm probably remembering it being better then it was.

tokyo crisis is definitely on the upper end of the tv specials, or at least on the 'not unbelievable garbage' end like pretty much every special from 2007 to 2014

i also definitely recommend first contact too

for my list of random specials i like because i wanna hear other dudes thoughts on them:
missed by a dollar ($1 money wars)
dead or alive
return the treasure
stolen lupin

dead or alive is randomly really astonishingly well animated which is why it's on the list. i read somewhere that it almost shut down lupin forever and bankrupted monkey punch/made him almost lose the license to the character which is pretty loving crazy

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

this is a tv series and not a special or movie right

because drat it looks nicer than the last like 3 specials (not including jigen's gravestone)
i'm pretty surprised that the designs/style draw so heavily from the classic green jacket series look though, it's like almost jarring given the carryover style stuff from the mine fujiko series

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I find the lack of subs disturbing.
seriously what the heck is goin' on w this
apparently there are already 13 eps out (and it's complete in italy??) and not one dang trace or sign

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

You can find soft subs on nyaa, but the quality of those subs is based entirely on the guy translating the Italian dub into English. Worked so far for me.
i checked and yep there they are
blue jacket series owns owns owns god drat it's good
edit:
watch it fuckers

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 14, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I may love Zenigata more than anyone else in the franchise. He's consistently the best in any scene he's in.
this series has the best zenigata and the 2nd best jigen (#1 being gravestone jigen)
like holy poo poo this is p much the best lupin series guaranteed despite the first 3 eps being weak

it even has a remix of tornado!!

edit:
almost forgot to appreciate jigen from all this excitement. drat...

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 14, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hey goemon is actually an assassin again instead of a goody two shoes thief or whatever
im pretty sure he kills more dudes in a single episode of this series than he has in the past like 20 years of lupin specials

god i really hope this stuff is blowing up in japan because it's way too good to just be ignored like this... it ain't right!!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

yes

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

updated the OP/link
gently caress yes

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Srice posted:

The Zenigata episode is incredibly good, and I think it's one of my favorite Lupin episodes. At the very least it's absolutely my favorite of the episodes in the new series that I've seen thus far.

It's really cool to see him get some some time in the spotlight, poor guy has had it rough in the past few decades. He's usually a non-factor in the tv specials and while I dug Fujiko Mine's take on him I wish they could have done more with him.
even in the mine fujiko series he's still ultimately a punchline so this series' take on him being hypercompetent and the only dude who can actually keep up w lupin who isn't a piece of poo poo is fantastic
like normally it's that he can keep up but he's a joke or seen as a joke or even worse he's totally out of his league/literally a joke

it's great!!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

FortMax posted:

Blue Jacket dub is happening.

Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, Michelle Ruff, and Lex Lang are reprising their roles from the Red Jacket dub, and Epcar is directing again as well.
!!!!!!!!!!

edit:
also ep 14/15 are out on cruncyroll and yep this series is still the best lupin series so far
easily the best zenigata by miles

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 15, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm only a few episodes into this season, but I still like fujiko mine better.

the first 3 eps are wack but everything past ranges from great to good
its pretty deceptive

the 4th episode would be bad too but it's a jigen episode therefore it is baseline good

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the last 2 eps are kinda whatever, pretty disappointing!
they really, really remind me of pt2 'whatever' episodes though so i guess that's a success

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

rebecca reminds me of becky from stolen lupin a lot mostly b/c of the name & general concept of the connection to lupin
so shes cool since that special is one of the decent ones

her theme isn't as cool as 'a rose tattoo' though

also this episode was good too, too bad about the last 2 before it..
lotta clunkers in this second half unfortunately

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i forgot about the car episode entirely actually. i also apparently missed the nyx episode before that one so i was thinking of the last ep and the episode where they eat dinner w leonardo

now i gotta watch this nyx episode..

edit:
ok the nyx episode was great i take it all back

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 6, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Y'all have listed some Goemon-centric movies, but I need to know the Jigen-centric and, if they exist, Zenigata-centric ones.

The best episode of Lupin is the one where Zenigata steals his ancestor's trademark coin and then feels so guilty that he becomes a master criminal so that he can break in to replace it.

not really
at least, not in the way that goemon tends to have ties in the 'goemon centric' movies
beyond the aforementioned gravestone the closest ones i can think of are 'from russia with love' and 'seven days rhapsody' and both of those are just alright, nothing too great
first contact kinda-sorta has some jigen focus due to it but it's not great

i think they tried to offset the lack of goemon episodes as a whole w/ those movies considering theres like exponentially more jigen and zenigata centric episodes in the running series

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 8, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

It sure was weird and out-of-character that Zenigata sleeps with Fujiko in A Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Also, I think I'm in the minority of liking the series early on (even accounting for the gross rape sequence nvm that was Jigen's Gravestone) and thinking it went to poo poo in the last few episodes when they started doing a more serialized story. It was close to nonsensical and then they just threw a bunch of psychedelic Alice-in-Wonderland imagery in there to obfuscate that.

well, if it helps that's pretty much how i feel to a degree. trying to go for an overarching story vs. the character focus episodes really caused it to suffer as the char. centric episodes were top notch- they all have a very specific tone to them that's missing from the last 2 episodes.
i dunno if it was really nonsensical though- i understood perfectly what was happening and it was pretty lupin-esque in mixing supernatural/technological aspects to bring on a crazy conclusion but something about the last 2 episodes manage to miss any kind of unifying or appealing tone- they're quite bland despite really strong visual stuff in some of 'em so they really miss the mark as a capstone to the series being mostly comprised of really strong character pieces that meld w/ the whole thematic deal about fujiko's shifting nature as a character

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is there an origins story on why Zenigata started chasing Lupin in the first place? Or has it always been an eternal chase that arose ex nihilo?

i guess first contact is kinda this, but it's pretty much the latter

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

bondster posted:

On the next, and probably final episode of Part IV:

Lupin breaks into Wily's Castle :v:

it's ok, the 2016 special 'italian game' which is based off pt4/produced by pt4 dudes is still untranslated

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

that was suprisingly low key

drat i hope this does well because i need more quality lupin

also bring on the italian gameeee

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

In Training posted:

I don't think you have to worry about there not being any more Lupin

i said quality lupin thats totally different

i dont want no princess of the breeze poo poo again

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Parallax posted:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/793303621815328768

they got most of part 2 dub to come back which is the best lupin dub

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i just saw the italian game intro and gently caress why isn't it translated yet gaaaaaaah
i wanna see all these adventures man. when's lupin pt4: the second coming
look all those cool adventures look at them!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eKZIkHYI-Y

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 2, 2016

• Locked thread