Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
who left? Mr Gates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Billy's been swimming for months, He's going to look like Aquaman when he walks out of the surf and straight into a bottle of rum.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i don't think i'm ready for that kind of physique.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Hatter posted:

Did they explain what happened to the Nite Crew of the Man O War that surely woke up once the shooting started? It seemed like there were too many of them for two dozen pirates to overpower.

Flint's crew came aboard and murked all of them, how did you not see that?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Hatter posted:

I saw them murder a bunch of guys, but even with the vast majority of crew on the beach doesn't a ship that size have something like 600 soldiers total? Even if they only left 5% of their crew onboard, they still outnumber the pirates. Maybe I just expected too much out of unarmed soldiers whose training may have consisted entirely of "here's how to put a metal ball into a cannon as fast as possible".

gently caress tent

The really really big crews on Man o Wars didn't really happen until the late 1700's and early 1800's

It might of had 300 sailors and 100 marines, possibly more. Many could of died in the battle, most probably on the beach looking for gold or out looking for pirates. Repairing the Lima

Problem is having that many extra's. He did say there was over a hundred soldiers on the Beach.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pirates liked fast ships, they often used smaller ships when bigger ones were taken and burnt. It's better to have 5 fast ships then one big floating fortress.

The slave ships were built for speed, because the cargo had a finite life span in the hold of a ship. Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge, was a slaver ship.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It'll look good rolling into Nassau.

Wonder if they are using the same on deck set. It doesn't look anywhere close to being big enough.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 27, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jst0rm posted:

negative. I think we have 3 now.

cool, are there any photos? the carpenter in me really wants to see them!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jst0rm posted:

I work in post audio so I'm 9000miles from the set. I see them because I see shots before vfx but for obvious reasons I cant share any of that wip stuff.

That's cool. I was curious if there was a bunch of behind the scenes pics sat on a website somewhere.

I remember there was something leading up to season 1 that showed a lot of ship building

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, he's basically the bad guy when he shows up but the way he plays the character you can't dislike him.

When he spends a good couple of show minutes trying to suck his own dick, while handcuffed to a bed, he hits the top tier of characters.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My immersion!

First mate Forearms / Quartermaster of Biceps /Billy the Giant is pinned to the sand. Those pegs better be 5ft long.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Calico Jack in the house :black101:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heave to Master of Gifs, make it so!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He knew all of the things that could wrong, told them the truth and left it to greed and hubris.

His own hubris brought him down.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pirates were a fickle bunch, Captains were only as good as their last success.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty sure the Ranger was sunk, isn't that how he knew Gates was dead?

Glasses is lucky he didn't get keel hauled. Or stuck on an island with one pistol shot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah my mistake. i forgot about that that.

I just rewatched it, you can see the Ranger sinking just before Flint is thrown overboard.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 2, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
well it's effectively 40 something cannons rolling about on the waves, when the fort has an elevated position and a stable gun platform. Those things could fire well over a mile, accurately (for a cannon).

Plus you need men to operate the ship.

Henry Morgan captured 3 forts, i forget exactly where. But they took 2 of them with sword and musket, and the Spanish surrendered the last. To be fair though he had a fleet and men in the hundreds.

Back when being a pirate was a government gig.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the cannons they found on the wreck of the Queen Anne's Revenge, weighed 3,000lb's. probably less minus all the ocean life stuck to it. That's a spicy meatball when there would of been a lot of them, they said it only fired 6lb shot.

24lber's were about 5,000lb each weren't they?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm just reading about a 1716 battle/declaration of war between the Spanish and the English in the Battle of Cape Passaro, near Sicily. The biggest gun ship in two fleets was a 90 gun monster, and it was English.

How different was the Spanish fleet? I couldn't find a 90+ gun ship until like 1765
Half of Europe was killing each other in boats. Crews treated as property, Pirates life would have looked pretty sweet to me.

I genuinely love this stuff but i'm an aviation nerd.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
double

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lamadrid posted:

94 guns was a first rate in almost every navy in that time and only used when you needed your big swinging dick flopping in the wind.About 60 24lb cannons or so, and the remaining ones of different poundage.

Conflicting notes but it seems that the Spaniards favored smaller boats than the english in the beginning of the century, like 55 to 60 guns.From 1734 forward they embarked in a massive effort to keep along and introduced bigger and sturdier boats.El Real Felipe was a 114 gun ship launched in 1732 till he got hosed up in battle in 1750.

poo poo I need to watch Master and Commander again.Crying shame they never filmed the sequels.

I'm watching it now. Amazing how naval warfare hardly changed for 300 years, besides slow technological advances. The movie is like 90 years after after Black Sails.

Those anchors though! 11 tonnes, all hand winched up

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

Also, "I angered Charles Vane" should be the new thread title.

I want to vote!

AYE

Next order of business. Vanes pirate ninjas need some OP loving.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is zero chance of Vane getting murked this season. He's the counter balance to Flint

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also Aquaman

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That would usually mean it would be up on the high seas by now. But it ain't.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buying it tomorrow!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Must have been known she was a bit of a go'er. The old boy called her out resulting in Flint kicking him out his own house.

It does seem like they are using Lady Hamilton from much later in history who was Lord Nelson's mistress.

He announces that Nelson used a similar signal at the Battle of the Nile: "England knows Lady Hamilton is a virgin. Poke my eye out and cut off my arm if I'm wrong."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falukorv posted:

I like Hamiltons idea too.

I'm no history buff, so correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the British help jump start piracy by contracting these guys as privateers ("legally" pirating enemy Fench and Spanish ships)?
Hamiltons plan makes more sense from that context.

Yeah they sort of did like 200 years before, but they all did it, the Dutch, French, Spanish.
The English used them for a long time due to having no real Navy, the Royal Navy wasn't founded until 1660.
The Spanish and Portuguese had been pulling gold and poo poo out of the americas for about a 160 years.

During the lead up to the golden age it was out of hand, so they killed most of them.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 16, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah but #teamforearms is about the crew. Pirate union: We care man

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You need to be a no bollocks taking motherfucker to wear that in the Caribbean sun

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just watching it now, but for fucks sake Jack, when you're boning two world class stunners at least have a bath first.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have two french female friends and one of them sound a hell of a lot like her. Accents are a funny thing. Max isn't from France, she's from somewhere else that speaks French, an island if a remember.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 23, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He means in the show. She's from a French colony, which in 1715 would be a limited to the Americas, give or take a few places.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They were still burning witches less than a handful of years before this in England, they still were for years after in Scotland.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eau de MacGowan posted:

There has to be some kind of Freudian analysis of this

You want to be bummed by two handsome men? No judgement here we're all goons

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She could lead me to my doom any day of the week.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'll get a biased opinion in here mate. If you can't remember why you stopped watching it, then just watch it. Season 2 is pretty drat good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mouse Dresser posted:

Considering the show is set in the 1700s, I'm certain it was created for the actor by the costume department. In close up the stitches seen around the collar area are hand done, and the leather is artificially aged.

My old dear is a leathersmith, she reckons it's a 100% custom made, like virtually everything else in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liam Emsa posted:

Just wait until they end the show. They'll sell off all the props on eBay or something. I'm sure it will go for like $10,000.

There will be a replica out on Etsy lickity split. My old one would make it, if i was a big cosplay nerd. But i'm not gay.

• Locked thread