Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like how the John Silver really walks the fine line between completely unlikable and just charming enough.

This show was a lot of fun.

I'm sad the hurdy gurdy didn't get a mention in the thread title, that is an instrument of musical brilliance.

Also R.I.P. Gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Good first episode of the new season. The Nassau stuff was a little flat, but it feels like they jumped them a few weeks from where they left off while Flint's crew is picking up right where they left off. That's fine as the traveling time makes sense to do that and its best for the Nassau crew to establish a new status quo so it feels more different when Flint returns.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I would imagine that if Dufresne went the other direction, Flint would have called him out on it and taken command then and there with a rousing speech about how they were born to pirate or some such.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

ruddiger posted:

"I angered Charles Vane" should be the new thread title.

Definitely. That was awesome. Best moment of the season, aside from Flint putting on the coat which doesn't translate into a title.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 8, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Falukorv posted:

I like Hamiltons idea too.

I'm no history buff, so correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the British help jump start piracy by contracting these guys as privateers ("legally" pirating enemy Fench and Spanish ships)?
Hamiltons plan makes more sense from that context.

If my hours spent playing Sid Meier's PIrates! are historically correct, English Governors would not only pardon you for acts of piracy against whichever nations they were at war with but also give you gold, land, and let you marry their daughters. Letters of Marque were real enough though.

However I'm pretty sure if that game were accurate Flint could lose all his men in an assault on the fort, but still manage to capture the fort by beating Vane in a sword fight.

Now that I think about it, when Flint and Vane do come to blows it should be that epic.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 16, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you saw the last terrible Pierce Brosnan Bond movie, he plays the villain in it.

Disagree. That was the most Bond, Bond movie there was. It was the natural conclusion of everything that makes a James Bond movie. He fights the sub boss who has diamonds permanently embedded in his face, in an Ice Palace and the sword fight with Graves(Flint) is hilariously awesome.

He plays a Korean man who's had reconstructive surgery in order to look like a British industrialist. It's great in that it's so awful, it's fantastic.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Has anyone else abruptly lost interest/sympathy for the Eleanor Guthrie character? I think the second time she sexually assaulted Vane and then couldn't decide whether she wanted to help Flint anymore I kind of decided she was dumb and lost interest. I actually really liked the character during the early episodes.

It's been tough being on Team Eleanor this season. From the start of the season she has been shown to be pretty ineffectual. I don't think there's a single thing she wanted to do thus far this season that she's been successful in doing, and her moves are all going to other people and whining at them to do something on her behalf. I mean it would have been pretty dumb if she'd killed Ned Lowe herself as her skills are seemingly diplomatic; however she's failed to convince anyone to do anything despite all her whining. She should be a strong character who's convincing and charismatic and manages to win people over with the power of her words and her stature; whose character flaw is that she has feelings for Vane and goes out of her way to protect him on occasion. None of that has been shown though and thus she has no real redeeming qualities outside of her sex appeal.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Team Vane + Team Flint to save Flint leading us to Flint+Vane vs England is amazing.

Go Team Vaint!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Xoidanor posted:

Hank?

EDIT: Haha you know TVIV is getting when you see one post about boobs and it immediately makes you assume you're in the better call saul thread.

The Flash thread was going crazy over the boobs on a random extra as well.

I was thinking today, the last episode had so much awesome stuff going on in it I'd completely forgotten about Anne saving Jack's rear end. That was kick rear end and I'd happy to see those two reunited, on the same boat, and it's nice to see Anne getting out of her multi-episode slump with some good old fashion murdering.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

:hist101: :hist101: THIRTEEN! :hist101: :hist101:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

#JesusChristVane

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Black Sails S3: Would You Like To See Something Shiny

Incredible finale to a great season. I didn't mind the slow episodes but the call back to the Man O'War destroying the ship in Season One, this time destroying a loving town was awesome. Vane is the man, I'm really looking forward to "Nothing to live for, 100% Pirate" Flint.

Blackbeard sounds fantastic, can't wait until he shows up. Too hard to wait another year for more of this awesomeness.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

She's the #2 credit on the show, I doubt they would write her off offscreen. If she doesn't get rescued I'm sure we'll see a trial or something with her.

She could make a nice prisoner for the S4 English big bad Captain to interrogate throughout Season 3 while the Pirates of Nassau are loving around with BlackBeard. Then come the end of Season 3 the guy that's been messing with her in England rolls into the Caribbean with a bunch of warships and her body tied to the bow of the lead one.

Not that I imagine a lot of people care what happens to her but I think she's going to be used to help establish a new bad guy in some form. Alternately it could be kind of awesome to see her do a character change off screen and decide "gently caress those pirates, I'm going to convince everyone in England that my dad was to blame, seduce some English major and use his influence to sail back to Nassau and get my revenge."

There are some options for her character beyond just being written off the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Shots fired

#teamcoat

• Locked thread