Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fetus Tree posted:

Alright, its go time :getin:

E: btw, what year is it supposed to be?

82 or 83, more likely late 82. The Camaro that's bought in the second season is the first of the Z28s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

tomapot posted:

I know this is from the Russian couple's perspective but it seems like they've gotten the upper hand over and over again. Did the U.S. Suck that bad, or were we having successes elsewhere?

The U.S. had successes but they were very much in the realm of signals intelligence (bugging the soviet navy communications) over human intelligence. The 80s saw a lot of programs get screwed by people selling secrets to the Soviets. Most of the human intelligence successes actually came from US allies (the Farewell dossier, Oleg Gordievsky) instead of the CIA.

The U.S. also had a bunch of captured Soviet planes and tanks from various nations that sold or gave them up in exchange for US equivalents. The CONSTANT PEG program was a result of that. It also had the slight side effect of getting an Air Force general killed as he bypassed all the training for the MIG23 he was flying and rode it until it broke up around him,

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 29, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Have an exact date for the episode, Nov 10, 1982. Looks like we get some Andropov fun times.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

How'd you get this, the execution at the start? I think most of this season is supposed to be 1983, with Brezhnev death being a focus, and well Andropov doesn't last too long either. He might last until the next of next season. [Edit: Oh, I missed five entire minutes!]

Paige is flipping through channels and it has Tom Brokaw announcing Brezhnev's death for about 5 seconds before going to another channel.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lugaloco posted:

He was their old (possibly first considering the affection they had for him) handler who's taking care of them again, basically doing the exact same job as Claudia. I might be wrong in that but I don't remember him from previous seasons either.

He's mentioned when they get Claudia as their new handler, he was recalled by the Centre.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

Oh sweet jesus, folding up the corpse :stonk:

The foley work on those bone snaps is excellent.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

JohnSherman posted:

That was a great scene, but this definitely was one of those instances where the number of fully backstopped Soviet agents stretches the limits of plausibility.

If any city is going to have that many it'd be DC.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Pastor and his wife just creep me the hell out personally. Same with the Est guy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

She looks good as a punker, he basically looks like that 40 year old burnout who wishes he was still a punker.

He looks like Bill from True Blood's hilarious punk rocker flashback.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This episode takes place on November 3rd, 1982, and the following week. The Salang Tunnel fire happened when a Soviet army tanker truck exploded, causing a chain reaction along other ammo trucks and tankers in a convoy. Troops on either end sealed off the tunnel for fear of it being a general mujahideen attack.

We might reach 1983 by the end of the season, so the next should be Able Archer.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Reverse Centaur posted:

I have a terrible memory, who was the guy crushed under the car and why did it happen?

Was it just to open up a spot for the AA lady?

Yep, it was another Northrup worker so that she would get in with the transfer.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

annapacketstormaya posted:

Hey, Children of Men got it, and it only had a budget of ~$70mil or so.

Children of Men got in the Court of the Crimson King though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fetus Tree posted:

rip martha

E: any idea what tom clancy book that was

Clancy books weren't published until 84 so it's a bit anachronistic.

Edit: just looking at the book it's probably a copy of Cardinal of the Kremlin or Patriot Games, they both had black covers in the paperback editions. Cardinal is probably more likely since it's about the Russian version of SDI.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 12, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Henry is sort of a dunce though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

That and Lockheed built the F117 while the B2 was Northrop's project.

The F117 was a black project with a black budget while the B2 was gray. The Carter administration stated that they were looking to create a stealth bomber and appropriated funds for it. The F-117 also started earlier and flew earlier (which is why it also got retired earlier as the design was out of date)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea it's stinger missiles. Or at least the description sure made it sound like that.

They're probably Redeye missiles, we're at least 2 or 3 years too early for Stingers to be deployed. The US pulled Redeyes from their inventory around 1984 and replaced them with Stingers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fateo McMurray posted:

Didn't Brezhnev die in one of the first episodes this season? That happened in November 82.

We should be in 1983 by this point since the USFL has started playing. Or is starting to start playing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

JohnSherman posted:

On the other hand, Henry is doing Eddie Murphy impressions from the 1981 season of SNL. :iiam:

We seem to be in February 1983 as that is what is on the manager's bulletin board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

I was alive at the time but I don't recall Est, I do remember Landmark education though, my parents got into that poo poo.

EST was mainly late 70s through early 80s really. We're reaching the late couple years of EST.

• Locked thread