Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bort Bortles posted:

No pants on anyone in Flotsam was working as designed, amiright?

Flotsam was just the victim of a casual friday policy that just crept up and took over the rest of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Quote-Unquote posted:

The Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition: Geralt and Triss Wear Pants For Once

Oh no Geralt, we fell into a pit while being pursued by enemies! Good thing we have pants on else we'd be having sex for sixteen hours.

It's a QTE!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

hemophilia posted:

The swamp is rough, but I otherwise like TW1 act 2? Honestly the biggest bore was act one, and if you survive that you will be absolutely fine. The worst thing about the swamp is it's a huge increase in difficulty over everything you've done to that point, but it's over soon enough.

I just love baiting the wyverns and opening up a space so I can run in and grab that sweet sword on the island early.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Turpitude posted:

Thanks, Geralt, you ploughing whoreson

Haha I actually didn't know that. I thought he always ducked. That motherfucker....

It was a bit finicky/bugged if you were using the mouse to target, especially before EE. Still a bit wonky even now, but it's a lot better.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Nordick posted:

So I only just now came across this trailer listed in the OP, and would like to point out that holy poo poo that narration is some superb voicework. Usually when voice actors try to go for that level of intensity it just sounds forced and lame, but that guy is really drat convincing, he sounds powerful as gently caress.

Here's hoping there will be similar performances in the game.

The trailers for W3 have been goddamned beautiful and turbofuel for the hype train. I'm on board :toot:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, it really hurts some games where your character is a massive dick/pain in the rear end to some Person of Power but they don't summarily execute you because...no reason given.

"I've killed people for less, but...I'm really not feeling it today. So keep mouthing off, I guess."

Looking forward to mooning His Excellency Emperor Emhyr, the White Flame Charles Dancing on the Barrows of his Enemies and seeing how creatively he has Geralt killed. Probably would just lock him in a room with Yenn and Triss.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 19, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Archimago posted:

I'm happy with the results.

I agree, weapon degradation doesn't sound like fun, but maybe they'll pull it off in a meaningful/not stupid way.

Being able to "remap" skills to fit a situation sounds interesting though. The way I read that is as you get more skillpoints (or whatever they're calling them) they aren't stuck in wherever you put them and you can change them around to fit the situation. Or perhaps some are permanent and the "upgrade" ones can be moved around to change the affect of signs and such.

In W2 weren't all skills combat skills, aside from a few that affected potions that could still arguably be considered "combat" skills? Or am I crazy?

One skill affected ingredient harvesting rates, though that's like vegetarian combat.

Another one allowed mutagens to drop when crafting potions.

Outside of those...yeah, pretty much all combat related.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Dongattack posted:

how big is his dick?
on one hand i would like to relate to the protagonist so a small penis would be best, but on the other hand i also want "to be the man" and as such i would be disapointed with anything less than 12 inches

Also, how are penile physics modeled?

...wait, this isn't my :nexus: account. Uh, I hope it has a deep story with implications based on your actions!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Magic basically makes your egg/sperm production areas wither and become nonfunctional for ~reasons~ though obviously the non-babymaking bits still work just fine. So a mage generally is unable to have kids after a few years of working magic.

As for diseases, barring some freak allergy to magic (*cough*Triss*cough*) they can cure themselves of just about anything they pick up magically. So they're probably safe partners in that regard.

Now, is the parrying of crossbow bolts with shields done actively or is it them just smartly hiding behind the shield? Because if its some reflex blocking that really takes the piss out of the Witchers' feared ability to parry bolts...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Vesemir!
Geralt!
Whores!
:swoon:

May is so far away...which is a good thing, since I need to upgrade, badly :P

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Pretty much. The sword tree can stand on its own, but you'll have an uphill fight...really no tree is meant to stand by itself. Pumping up your base stats and using select skills from the other trees for crowd control is the strength of the Alchemy tree--when combined with the right potions. Properly mastered, you won't be able to 1-hit the dragon but it won't be too far off.

It's definitely the most delayed payoff of the trees though, so it's hard to get going.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Gonna wait and see if that video card bundle deal materializes. Or I guess I could preorder for $48 and get a cheapy $200 card...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Geralt's voice actor really hit his stride when Dandelion went into the succubus den.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Geralt doesn't mope and whine. He broods. He contemplates. He philosophises. Then he goes and kills some dudes and has wicked sex.

Not necessarily in that order. Or separately.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Huh. This is the first thing I've seen that I actually dislike. Looks like a map from Super Mario World.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Zoo06 posted:

So they just want us to keep playing forever, huh? 30 hours just in expansions plus the up to 200 hour main game? That's over 9 days worth of content. Not that I'm complaining...if the game lives up to expectations it'll be amazing.

CDPR won't be happy until they have a guy die in his seat, starcraft style. :black101:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Of course, but my best easter egg didn't make it in, I couldn't get it working in time and got swamped with other things.

I can't say what it was right now cause it involves confirming a character we haven't used in media, but you can ask me again later.

Fliparse confirmed.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I'm literally trying to figure out a way to import computer parts / graphic card into Israel just for the sake of this game.
Dorregay's amazing road-movie adventure confirmed.

Hollow out an old laptop and have someone mule them over. Failing that, get a large condom....

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Welshman trap sprung.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Uh, pretty sure they already "consummated" a bunch of times. And that's assuming there's anything left of Triss when Yennifer gets done with her...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Drifter posted:

Woohoo! One more month! :unsmigghh::respek::heysexy:

:negative:

Yeah! It's coming out soon!

....wait, that means those upgrades I've been putting off have to be done. Crap.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Corollary to this: Any idea how big the download will be?

I've heard "30 GB" floating around.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

knob posted:

I've played through this game 4 times and never once picked up riposte, let alone used it.

It's really, really useful when you're in control over Sir Swingy Bigsword who can't roll or do anything else.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Elukka posted:

I'm replaying the Witcher games in preparation for 3, and I installed the Full Combat Rebalance mod for Witcher 1. Can I uninstall it without breaking my save? It has some good ideas but the difficulty is all over the place and the Beast fight in chapter 1 feels basically impossible.

drat man, I don't think I could really go back to playing W1--good luck to you.

Just trying my insanity run on TW2 instead :shepface:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Why would you ever play Insanity instead of Dark Mode? I guess it's aptly named.
W1 still holds up pretty well if you forgot half of the story and don't mind the combat.

Only cheevo I haven't gotten. Offends my faux-OCD that it's one away from a perfect game.

Plus it forces me to switch up my playstyle from "insane pyromaniac berzerker" to a more cautious Bomberman type. Just did the "Scent of Incense" sidequest and after getting locked up, I blew down the door with Aard and tossed out a Dragon's Dream, Dancing Star, a Red Mist, and then Grapeshot until all 5-6 guys were dead. Kinda fun to sit back and watch everyone, on fire, fighting each other, while getting shredded by grapeshot.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Skuzal posted:

I was speaking about Dark Mode weapons, outside of Dark Mode though before enhanced though I found that no other weapons could compete with the crafted ones. I could honestly be wrong though since it has been awhile since I have played through the Witcher 2.

Edit: Looking at the Wiki with all of the swords, it looks like the best steel sword is crafted and the best silver sword is bought. So in a way we are both right.

I can totally get where they're coming from, inasmuch as The Witcher 2 was fairly scripted in what you'd encounter. So you could have a "best" sword for Ch 2's wraiths/harpies/endrega and then come Ch 3 throw it into a ditch to equip Deithwin without a second thought. While with an open world, Geralt could encounter anything at any time. So equipment would have to be more versatile and less locked-progression or people would just find a way to snag the purple shoulders ASAP and cheese the game. Ideally, it'll be less "this is the best sword" and more "this the best sword for this encounter/area." He needs multiple swords; Geralt often loses them.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

People are loving dense, that's why.

To be fair, you could also get roasted by a dragon in the prologue as your first action in the game, especially before they locked the option. The game's come a long way in terms of accessibility.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That must've been pre-EE. What?

When the game was first released, all parts of the prologue were unlocked and selectable. So you start the game, get hauled into interrogation, see the "What about the Dragon" option and go "ooh, dragon!" and then marvel at the graphics as you get engulfed in fire and try to figure out how to move and where to go and die horribly because you don't know how to cast quen or know what the hell is going on. :3: :flame:

After a wee bit of feedback CDPR locked the dragon option so you have to do most of the prologue first before you see it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The end of Wild Hunt comes, and the King confronts Geralt. Based on what Sign you use the most during that fight, it results in a chromatically/graphically distinct ending where it's revealed that all the choices you've made over the last few games--saving Adda, preserving Saskia, rescuing Anais, finding Odrin--all meant nothing. Then the frozen times come, and everyone dies. The screen fades to black, and a message pops up:

quote:

Geralt has become a legend by ending the threat of the Wild Hunt. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Hannibal Smith posted:

That made me really glad I did Roche's Path first. I can't think of any similar game-changing revelation you would have gotten playing Iorveth's first and then Roche's.

Roche's path explores the blood curse more, since it's aimed at Henselt. Beyond that and following the Blue Stripes, it's very much the Low Information path. Iorveth's path gets you all the juicy details of Vergen and Phillipa's shenanigans.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm sort of surprised we posted this, but, hey, we did, and it's awesome, so I'll link it.

Your basic Endrega warrior isn't too smart, but you can hack off a limb, and it's still 86 percent combat effective. Here's a tip: Aim for the nerve stem, and put it down for good.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

That being said, the low-level sword skills are ridiculously worth it. Reducing backstab damage, better rolls, and riposte (can wait until Ch 2 for that) are all worth points even for a mage build.

I'd definitely give the alchemy tree a look as well. Buffed Petri's Philtre is massive boost to your damage output.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 26, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Broose posted:

Well, looks like newegg isn't supplying any more Witcher 3 pack-ins with the 970 video cards. The side ad-banner is still there, but all the products linked to no longer display the offer on their item page.

That's kinda BS, since on their page for it "Offers expire 5/31/2015 at 11:59 P.M. PT."

Hoping this is just a glitch.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Newegg Salespuke posted:

Thank you for holding. I apologize for the inconvenience. The promotion has expired. However, the VGA cards have another promotion at this moment.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:suicide:

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 29, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Good news everyone! :zoid:

Apparently NVidia opened up their wallets and sprung for more codes. Newegg's got most 970s with the deal again! :woop: Time to abuse the billmelater account!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah. Considering my #1 mod for skyrim adds a shout that calls my horse, very much welcome.

There's immersion, realism, and then just avoiding pointless drudgery.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, even in the tutorial area, they should be able to kill you quick--especially the full armored guys with the big swingy swords.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

pik_d posted:

Well remember how they handled it from TW -> TW2? You had your super cool sword in the first game which was really quite poo poo in the 2nd game then you threw it out the first chance you got. I don't really see the point in wanting that.

Eh, Moon Blade was pretty servicable for most of Ch 1. Mahakham Rune Sigil was pretty meh though, and then you had Raven's armor. Probably no surprise why the dude died, in retrospect.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

Just FYI, Wild Hunt is on sale at Greenmangaming for 33.5 pounds.

I'd buy it myself but first I'm going to need a new computer to actually run this thing :negative:

That's why the Nvidia deal is actually pretty good. If you need a new card anyway, may as well get a free copy of the game! :buddy:

Drifter posted:

Are you also disappointed that your remaining inventory won't transfer over as well?

If I don't get to keep EVERY PETAL of the 397 Celandine flowers I picked, I'm going to uninstall this piece of utter consolized trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I suspected the magic system in the Witcherverse was just a massive drinking game. Now we finally have (180) proof! :cheers:

• Locked thread