Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Prawned posted:

I loved witcher's 1 and 2 so much I am almost convinced to break my "NO-PREORDERING GAMES YOU loving FUCKHEAD" rule for this

I already broke this rule :(

CDPR is the only company I will do this for, though. They were smart enough to push the game back twice to put more time into making sure it isnt hosed. I am upset that I do not get to devote a week in February to playing and instead have to devote a week to playing it in May instead, when it will be nice outside. But otherwise I am extremely pleased to know that CDPR cares enough to delay the game to try to deliver a good product on official release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

But it's not bad now, by any stretch of the imagination. Which is more than you can say for virtually every other studio that's released a bad game.

I find it hilarious that a conversation just started up about Civ5 in the Paradox general thread. Civ5 is loving awful and always will be. Annihilation-style Tactical combat on a Strategic map was the worst loving thing. Cities having a ranged attack was the stupidest idea I have ever seen...it is literally impossible to siege a city down (e.g. starve it out - the most common way to siege a city in history) because the city will nuke all of your units AND the city will never surrender unless assaulted!

That is all I am going to say about it though because this is not a Civ5 thread and do not want to start or perpetuate a derail.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cities in other civ games did not have a built-in ranged attack, and got weaker the smaller the city's population, so you could weaken the city before you assaulted by sitting on its high food tiles. In Civ5 a city alone can destroy a unit in two turns and hold a ranged unit in it that does a ton of its own damage :c00lbutt:.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Well neither Witcher titles needed patching! :colbert:

They just needed Extended Editions that only happened to fix some pretty bad bugs / gameplay by happenstance. Definitely not a patch though, NOPE!

No pants on anyone in Flotsam was working as designed, amiright?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OAquinas posted:

It's a QTE!

What is this GTA: San Andreas?

:wiggle: or :heysexy: better here? Or perhaps :mmmhmm: ?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 29, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That's why I said rolling. Make it a set of 3 or 5 games that just saves over the oldest one. TW1 was SUPER crash happy for me in Act 3 and Act 5, so I literally had to save prior to every. Single. Load screen.

I'm replaying Icewind Dale 2 right now and it has a quicksave option that automaically backs up the last save, thus if I autosave at 8pm then again at 8:30, I can still load the 8:00 save. Something like that for W3 would be fantastic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OAquinas posted:

It was a bit finicky/bugged if you were using the mouse to target, especially before EE. Still a bit wonky even now, but it's a lot better.

If I remember correctly, you had to shoot at the dude that is standing next to Etcheverry, rather than shooting straight at him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah chrome keeps crashing and running my laptop fans at max power with only like 6 windows open. its a shame.

My work laptop is always struggling because I have to (really prefer to) have a dozen tabs open.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I loved the first two games a lot, and this one still has me pretty skeptical how they're going to do such a huge open world in a way that's interesting, and also hold together a story roughly on the level of the first two games. It seems like it's going to be a gigantic game and they've obviously underestimated how much work it was going to be, what with the multiple delays and the talk of working hours being extremely poor for much of the development cycle. So I hope it doesn't come out half baked or a horrible buggy mess.

I think the two delays are because it may have been on pace to come out a horrible half baked mess. They have been working on the game for a long time and ended up delaying it a total of what, 6 months on top of that? Based on their experiences releasing the EE versions of 1 and 2 I have a feeling, these delays were to make sure the game was good at lunch. Its done being built - there was no delay there, it could probably be released right now, but they are bugfixing and streamlining.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I loved W2's thing in the prologue when getting interrogated by Roche. If you jump him Ves lodges a crossbow bolt in your spine and you have to start over.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Sharmat posted:

Also if you lose the fist fight to the hangman in Flotsam, Geralt actually is shown being hanged on the scaffold (While Roche and Triss confusingly stare on passively).

And if you taunt the hell out of Iorveth and refuse to give him any information for why you're there when you meet him near the end of Act 1, he eventually just says gently caress it and has his Scoia'tael shoot Geralt and Zoltan to death.

Good god both of these things sound hilarious. I am going to have to consult youtube when I am done work today.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I seem to recall that a few people explain that, OK, so, there was a bomb, it made a big crater, people lived in it because... I guess a hole makes sense (holes are terrible places to live, which is why no one does, but whatever) but then they were all starving and this group of religious fanatics showed up with a bomb and offered them food in return for letting them put the bomb in the middle of town.

I'm sure I'm getting details wrong, but I remember the explanation making only a little bit of sense anyway.

I thought it was that the bomb dropped but didnt explode for whatever reason (but was still live) and the religious dudes set up around it. The crater isnt that large and the bomb seemed kinda large so maybe it is a small crater from a heavy object hitting the ground? Thats the best I can think of.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

According to the Fallout Wiki, you are correct:
I dont know how I remember that poo poo, I hated FO3 (because it wasnt FO1, FO2, or FO: Tactics).

But it's still terrible storytelling because that still doesn't make any sense.
Yuuuuup.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh god [timg] that poo poo and what jesus christ fanfic wtf

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

midnightclimax posted:

maybe that's not hair....

:stonklol:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pull up thread!

Also why does no one use [timg] in this thread anymore?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I'm building a whole new computer because mine is dying (the HD is like 10+ years old and the rest of the equipment outside of the graphics card is 6+ years old :gonk: ). I'm debating how much I am going to sink into a graphics card.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

FIgure what resolution you want to run games at. If it's less than 1900 by Y, spend less than $275, unless you REALLY want those max shadows and Occlusion.

Good to know, thanks. I've been reading up in the part picking thread trying to figure out what I want to do :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

neonbregna posted:

What is the goon approved card for getting free witches?

I just read the Part Picking Thread in Serious Hardware / Software Crap and bought a 970. It only has 3.5gb of RAM rather than the advertised 4 but overall is a in a much better place on the cost/benefit ratio compared to the 980 (the 980 is wildly more expensive for a very small boost in power).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Harrow posted:

Cool, then it definitely sounds like a good time to buy. I'll jump on it closer to the release date.

I might have to hop over to the PC parts thread for some advice, too. My PC's a few years old now and I'm wondering how to identify where the real performance bottlenecks are. Like, I'm not sure how to tell how much effect a new video card would have given the processor I'm working with.

The guys in the Part Picking thread were really helpful when I was asking questions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I like my Geralt with stubble, not a beard, so I visit the barber in Oxenfurt every few in-game days for a shave. It's pretty great.

That is petty neat. Theres not GTA type crap with courriers running up to you with letters from your cousin or anything though, is there?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh my god I am so glad I am currently building a new computer with a GTX 970 :allears:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is...is that possible?!?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've been playing for weeks and I'm like 1/4 the way through. I have skipped a good amount of side quests, so yeah I believe it.

Our sidequests are also not bullshit, despite what I know everybody must assume.

EDIT: AND I skip a lot of the dialogues because I've seen them all before. So yeah, the game is huge.

:syoon: We still have to wait another month and a half though :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Finish Pillars and Bloodborne so you have nothing to distract you.

I didnt buy either of those because I just spent all of my money on a new computer so I could run W3 on good settings :v: I am plenty distracted by EU4 and a backlog of other older games that I bought on steamsale but didnt/couldnt play before because of the computer, though, so I'll be okay :) I was pleasantly surprised at how good the Tomb Raider reboot is, and I only spent $5 on it!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Was that silly estimated time to completion image in RPS' article today official? Because that's a wonderful chart.

Got a link to the article?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

I've been playing Witcher 2 since a few days ago and it still feels like there's lots to do, and it's really really nice. gently caress teh Wraiths, but other than that, it's great.

If W3 can get around the Dragon Age 3 issues of padding and collectothoning, then it'll most likely be the best rpg this year.

This is hilarious.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rime posted:

That's a big loving map. :magical:

Where is this w/r/t the larger map? I've never seen a super high-res map and this doesnt look like it fits anywhere on the maps I have seen.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rime posted:

I cropped out 90% of the TW2 map and circled the general area of this new one.

Ah, thank you. I see the Pontar and Vizima so now I get it. The new one is just zoomed it with a lot more detail.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

iCe-CuBe. posted:

release your game before you announce expansions
Yes because the people that make quests and environments are the same dudes that do QA and bugfixing :allears:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

iCe-CuBe. posted:

release your game before you announce expansions.
Yes because the people that make quests and environments are the same dudes that do QA and bugfixing :allears:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

He's not saying before you MAKE expansions, but before you RELEASE the main game.

But, this is no different than Marvel putting out a superhero movie timeline until 2023. It gives people another chance at awareness as well as something ELSE to look forward to in the future.

This announcement won't make me preorder it, but now I know there's something else to look for if I choose to regarding this game. It's basic marketing and it hurts no one.

He repeated himself so I repeated myself :shrug:. I'm saying that the game got delayed not because the game was not developed, but because it is so long/big/deep/whatever that the QA/bug fixing process needed more time; the people who designed the quests were probably sitting on their hands, so CDPR had them work on something. There is nothing wrong with having your paid employees do their jobs. If the game had been released on time this wouldnt even be a question.

edit: I understand people are frustrated the game is not out yet and was delayed twice, which does suck, but I am sick and tired of games being shittastic on release and am happy that CDPR did the right thing and delayed twice. If they have DLC in mind that their level builders are working on and they want to tell us about them, that doesnt make a drat difference. I'm happy to see they are working on additional content for the game....I got a new computer in large part to play W3, so if there is going to be extra content for it that excites me.

edit2: \/\/\/\/\/ Thank you Icy Fisty :hfive:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 8, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subjunctive posted:

You don't think they're fixing bugs in quests and environments, tweaking dialogue, and so forth? That sounds like exactly the stuff you want to be doing at the end, rather than core engine fixes. (Or whatever "do bug fixing" means, I'm not actually sure how you mean that to be different from "do programming".)

I think it's fine to announce expansions, and there's almost certainly surplus bandwidth versus peak development, but if they've washed their hands of quest and environment changes I'd be pretty surprised.
I'm not going to get into semantics about the development process of a company I dont work for, so, this:

NaDy posted:

I'm assuming they've just kept a few devs working any bugs raised by QA, with the rest of the team working on the expansions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Source your quotes.

Also loving lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Manatee Cannon posted:

If it's done ahead of schedule, does that mean the release date will be moved up? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I can dream.
Yeah they probably have tons of QA/bugtesting to do if the game is that large.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subjunctive posted:

Gold usually means that phase has completed. I'm sure some are working on day-0 patch stuff, but I suspect/hope it's not that many.
Oh really? Huh. I didnt even know that Gold status meant it was ready on time or whatever :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr E posted:

I'm kind of glad this game isn't coming out till next month, this month's been great for games which means I've had less time to play them all.
I wanted the game out in February because by mid-May it will be really nice outside all the time and I will not want to be inside on my computer :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Wow, time to clean off the SSD I guess.

~

Maybe it's just time to step up to a larger SSD I guess.
I got a 250 when I just built my computer and its pretty great.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Fuckin' weirdo. :goonsay:
Confirm.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

"So tell me, Witcher....did you gently caress her?"

y/n

~*backstory complete*~
Dont forget *sex cutscene*.

But yeah I have seen in more than one place that there will be a part at the beginning of the game where you describe what happened in the past with someone; your answers to their questions/stories you tell determine your backstory.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm wondering how newcomers to the series handle that. "Did you side with the Scoia'tael?" "wat"
Thought it's their own fault for not playing the other games!
Yup. gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jimbot posted:

I hope the skill tree is vastly more impressive than it was in 2. I'm playing through The Witcher now (planning on doing 2 right after) and it's just nuts how much more impressive the skills are. When I see them and remember a similar skill was like +5% of something it was just boring, it was hard to really care about leveling the skill in that game. In the first game I look forward to leveling up because all those upgrades are worthwhile.
I'm hoping that 3's skilltree isnt so big that you can only expect to reasonably fill out one tree in a whole playthrough. I dont mind a few "filler" or less flashy skills if there are some sweet ones at the end (like there are in W2) but I didnt like that you get so few that you can only really tap into the potential of one tree in the course of the game.

• Locked thread