Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cleatcleat posted:

What do you mean Triss helped? Witcher 1 I sided with Shani and the Flaming Rose. Witcher 2 I shotdown Triss, went with Roche, did a little something something with the short hair girl I'm forgetting the name of, and saved the little princess to hand over to the king so aaaall the lands are united under him.

That's some fun stuff right there to look forward to, to see how they deal with player's different choices in previous titles. Though it'll probly be like W2 where everything got smoothed out and Geralt is friends again with his crew.

Oh, so that's the other branch. My save is a little more.....fractured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Farecoal posted:

Wasn't there a mod for Witcher 2 by one of the developers that made the weapons imported from 1 a lot more powerful (and did other stuff that I can't remember)? I'm about to go through 1 and then 2 again and it'd be nice if all the hard work I did to get those weapons actually paid off in 2.

Speaking of, any recommended mods for Witcher 1?

There is no mod in existence for Witcher 1 that makes Act 2 palatable.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Monarch posted:

Uh do you mean the swamp right after the witcher castle, or the city slums?

The city slums is one of my favourite chapters/levels in any RPG ever. The (first) swamp however bites. That's chapter 1 though (the witcher castle is the prologue).

The swamp after the village outside of the city. The village is Act 1.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mordja posted:

Despite buying it within the month it came out, I'm only now starting the Witcher 2. I've heard varying opinions on the combat; should I just go for the rebalance mod right off the bat? Or is it better to experience the game as it was originally made?

I personally wouldn't recommend the mod.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Drifter posted:

I always thought the whole bar scene up to the tattoo revelation was pretty loving hilarious.

I liked that quest so much that I kept the tattoo throughout the game despite there being a quest to remove it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

You guys are gonna look silly for removing that tattoo when it turns out it's part of the save game import for 3. :colbert:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

The code you get with a Nvidia card is for GOG right?
How does that work with a modern game that gets patched a lot and has 10+ DLC planned, do you have to manually redownload the whole thing every time, or hunt for patches like it's the early 2000's again?

It looks like it is. I don't see any Steam markings on the page, but there is a GOG one on the related pages on NVidia's site.

Edit: Oh hey, should have looked at this first, yes it's GOG: http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/bundle/code-instructions

As far as DLC and patching, it maybe packaged in GOG's new service they've been beta testing that ties that all in for you. I don't know it might as well be all in game for all I know.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 19, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

VodeAndreas posted:

Is Witcher 3 steamworks or if I get it through a NVIDIA code will my copy be GOG only?

I've already got it pre-ordered on Steam but just bought a new GPU that should be eligible for the promotion.

Through GOG as posted previously if you use the NVidia offer.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I don't get why people don't suggest turning down the resolution. You can turn on all the fancy effects and high res textures you want and still have a pretty steady FPS when you drop it down to 720p.

What? :psyduck:

Why would anyone do that?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

After watching the recent 15 minute gameplay video, I will be purchasing a new video card today...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Drifter posted:

What do you currently have?

Galaxy Geforce GTX 670 4GB.

Though it's too late to stop me. It's done. :shepicide:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Avalerion posted:

I'm hoping my GTX970 can run this, worried if the above is taking the "only" 3,5 vram controversy into account.

You're fine. It's only spergs complaining about it. You'd have to run insane settings (for a single card setup) that would get impacted from system bottlenecks before the video card would be at fault.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-revisited

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Oh oh I can finally play video card chat time with PC gamers! Never done this before.

Gee whiz I wonder if the game will play on my GTX 760 in a i5-4590 with 8 gigs of RAM. Do people still list RAM? It would be on a 4K monitor, which I hear is more taxing, but I've never played any game on this computer and never will :shrug:

I'll let you guys know how the PS4 version is though. If it's at least 900p and 25+ frames per second I sure will be a happy boy.

PS4 is targeted for 1080p 30fps while the Xbone is 900p 30fps. So you're set.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Witcher-3-PS4-Xbox-One-Framerate-Resolution-Revealed-69722.html

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

g0del posted:

Check SA-mart or ebay. Thanks to the current nvidia promotion, witcher 3 GOG codes are going for $25 or less.

This is why I'm canceling my preorder with GoG to get my 48 bucks back and use the code that comes with my video card next week.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rime posted:

People are still building full-size ATX boxes in TYOOL 2015?!? :psyduck:

Still using my motherboard from 2011 and there aren't any LGA1155 ITX boards I like.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hey Comte de Saint-Germain, how's the mod support? I play on a Dual Shock 4 on my PC and I tend to use button UI replacements. Minor and dumb question.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

mcbexx posted:

:monocle: That mime :monocle:

I thought it was Sting...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Looking at those 4K shots:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR NOT USING CHROMATIC ABERRATION!!!! SERIOUSLY THANK YOU!

Is that something that happens with 4k screenshots? :confused:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's that lovely ULTRA MODERN SUPER AMAZING graphical technique where the RGB values separate in the image and it looks loving HORRIBLE.

I know what it is...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Lyer posted:

Does the free copy of the witcher 3 come with any new 900 gtx card, or only for specific brands?

I think it's most, if not all 900 series cards from participating retailers.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Guess I'm cancelling my pre-order. As the captain in the latest video is walking away he doesn't cast a shadow. That's some aggressive shadow distance culling there and despite marveling at how insanely good looking the rest of the video is I just can't reward this kind of bullshit slopwork. Jesus CDPR, what happened to you?

Something had to get cut to make room for all the sex mocap.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Watched the 3rd part of Gamespot's Witcher 3 feature. I guess I'm learning the in-game card game. :getin:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

VDay posted:

I got some serious final fantasy card minigame withdrawals when they mentioned that card game. I hope it's as fun/goofy as it sounds and isn't just some other take on poker/blackjack/whatever but with named cards.

It's virtually a CCG like Magic or Hearthstone.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mr E posted:

I don't know if I'll need to (obviously), but is there a good guide for overclocking a 970 if that is "necessary"?

Generally you want to grab the card monitoring/overclocking tools for your card (MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, Asus GPUTweak, etc) and it's just a matter of upping the clock speed incrementally generally.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-overclock-your-graphics-card/#page-1

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cheston posted:

Is the copy of W3 coming with 960/970/980 cards just a Steam key?

No, it's a Gog key that is redeemed to your account automatically after redeeming the code to Nvidia.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Can you wear monster heads on hooks? I loved that in the first game.

Believe it's more toward the Witcher 2 style where it's parts of monsters rather than just heads.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Broose posted:

Just pre-ordered the game since the school semester is over with. I also just saw the requirements for the first time.

I'm just a speck above the minimum apparently. A better i5 (3570) processor and more RAM, but the video card is a 7870. Now I'm kinda concerned cause in the past, minimum for games was always: 800x600 resolution, everything set to low, still only get 20fps.

Have they said anything about just how much you would have to tone down the game's settings when you are at minimum specs? It's gonna suck if I can't really enjoy the game until I deicde it's time to upgrade/build another computer.

At the very least get a new video card.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Gorgolflox posted:

That's no Juggalo, that is Sting.

FuriousGeorge posted:

No this is Sting.

He's right. It's Sting, the vigilante now.

Or The Vigilante, Sting. Who ever you talk to.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

is there a carry weight limit in the new game? please say no.

Yes there is.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Archimago posted:

I actually kind of like inventory limits because it helps keep my unnecessary hoarder tendencies in check.

Hell naw, 0 weight mod all day son. I need all that poo poo. I NEED IT.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

YOU NEVER USE IT

But one day I will. I need all of these Cat potions and twines.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Probably unrelated, but a wave of invites to GOG Galaxy Alpha went out very recently. Wonder if preload isn't too far behind. :allears:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Xander77 posted:

He's talking about the endgame, at which point it's:
- left click while standing near him
- repeat until he's dead

I got a GTX 960 just when the free Witcher 3 codes ran out. Apparently that's a thing again now - anyone I can contact to beg for one, to make up for my bad timing?

Contact your retailer maybe?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Obviously didn't happen, but I want to believe someone told the artists they were cribbing from Berserk a bit too much. :allears:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Archimago posted:

Trigger Warning: Reddit Link

Pubbies and their loving SweetFX. I bet this guy considers himself a modder now.

Drifter posted:

Wait, they painted over some jpegs? Is that what's going on?

Robutt posted:

SweetFX? Looks to me like he's just fiddled with the darkness/contrast on a screenshot.

Hey guys, I figured out gamma!

Section 31 posted:

Failed - No file

The site showed 100% completion but it didn't seem to properly save the file. Strange downloader that one.

Seems to be working for me, I just got it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Section 31 posted:

Did it prompt to save the file after 100% completion?

I used search function on my laptop but still couldn't find it.

In Chrome it just downloaded itself after hitting 100%.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Most important question.

Does the tattoo carry over. :colbert:

We still don't know and I hope we do.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GOG Galaxy went to beta and bringing in features that were previously not available in Alpha. Really starting to think Witcher 3 is the game they're launching the platform with. :allears:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'll continue the play style of my Geralt as being the non-human civil rights activist he is. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

If I buy the GOG version, can I register it to steam? Not a big deal if I can't, but I prefer it for updates and the possibility of a mod workshop. Also, do any Canadians know if GOG will switch to beaver bucks from freedom coins when I pay? poo poo has been way more expensive on steam since they switched to our sagging currency.

Not Canadian, but GOG uses USD for anything not starting in Euro (EUR), Pounds sterling (GBP), Australian dollars (AUD) or Russian rubles (RUB).

• Locked thread