Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Thank you Richard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I think the biggest problem with this game isn't wether or not people find it fun and more a lack of direction coupled with a VERY long development time. Though I think there starting to reign in what they want the game to be it still took about a year and a half past there early access release to get to this point. I feel like they should have focused on that rather than add like a bazillion art assets but what are you to do when 80% of your development team are artists and not really too amazing at coding.

I think you've established that one of the biggest problems is time. Things take longer than expected, but that doesn't mean there's zero direction. Right now it's actually an even split, so the 80% you pulled out just isn't true in any way.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

serious question though, is the game actually moving forward in any meaningful manner or are you just stuck adding fluff pieces forever?

serious answer: There's a lot of things moving forward at once right now that will ultimately tie into each other. There's big changes to combat, we just got the functionality to do a lot more interesting stuff with weapons now, the economy stuff is starting to come together with the pricing of items and buying/selling interface, the colony system is making good progress, the main story-line pieces are being put in place, with the main missions being worked on simultaneously, all the current quest stuff is placeholder for progression so that's getting a second pass on it soon. It depends a lot on what you consider fluff pieces.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

dog kisser posted:

New peglaci ship tiers, as part of my continuing Stockholm syndrome with this game.

This looks good, nice job! So are you making an entire new race? I think you might've accidentally left a part overlapping another on the final tier ship, just above the engines.

On Friday I worked on the parallax backgrounds so the forests actually look like forests now. I'll do a little more work on Monday so the trees always match up.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

Supernorn, if you manage to get Chucklefish to donate $100 to Bernie Sanders' campaign, I will never post anything negative about Starbound anywhere on the internet ever again.

Even though you've barely made less than 15 posts in this 59 page thread, I liked your proposal. But you didn't even :toxx: it. Come on, man.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

Why are you so weirdly bitter

I'm not bitter at all! Sorry if you're reading it that way. Let's keep that criticism pointed at the game though, okay.

Thanks for the tree comments. Pretty happy with how it's looking, just need to expand on it a bit further.

Eonwe I looked it up and I have to be an American to donate. Am I going to be arrested in the middle of the night if I make a donation?

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 14, 2015

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

Does the background change with the density of foreground trees?

I think Terraria does this and I'm sorta mixed on it; it seems cool until you have this thicket of trees that changes the biome for half a second while you run past it.

As you said, I think Terraria does it because you're transitioning through the biomes, whereas this parallax only appears on forest planets. So no background changes, it'll be dense forest all the way across the surface.

Already started with the canopy alternatives:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
We're putting some more work into weapons, It's coming along nicely and now we can do way more interesting stuff that wasn't possible before:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Tyty posted:

So like

I'm really surprised nobody just took bits of my mod and kept running with it when I just stopped caring about this game. I figured someone on the starbound forums would, but I guess the terrible "nobody can use anything anyone else made ever" mindset of minecraft modding carried over.

That or people just stopped caring.

Our policy is to let people continue developing other people's abandoned mods, as long as they can show they have permission from the original mod author. It's happened a couple times as far as I'm aware.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I know Inventory improvements were requested a bunch here so I thought this should be posted. New objects tab, and item sorting are now in the nightly:

http://playstarbound.com/7th-august-sort-it-out/

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Orv posted:

The dream of a playable Space Station 13 died at least in part for Starbound. That cannot be forgiven.

I think if there's enough interest it'll probably happen in some capacity. I'd definitely still be up for it, but I can't do it alone. It'd need a proper team of people and not just a bunch of us from goonstation (who quickly run out of free time).

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Kly posted:

the nighlty updates are just recompiling and downloading the same thing every day. according to the official starbound wiki nothing has actually been added to the nightlies since june 12

We post exactly what's going into our nightlies, every single day on our website. The wiki might not always be completely up to date, but I'm not sure where you're seeing that.

http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 11, 2015

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
That entire list is all stuff added since June, as far as I know. The nighty build is named 'Pleased Giraffe'. I can see why it's confusing though, because the date and the build name appears halfway down.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
We just pushed a build to unstable. Stable build will follow hopefully in the next few days!

Patch Notes Here.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
We're live with the latest update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6db4718sRY&feature=youtu.be

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Yeah it looks like there were a few issues with the prereqs, most could be solved just by restarting steam but the rest should be fixed now.

Let me know what you think! There's still a lot of work to be done, but we've touched on every part of the game in this update.

The next update will mainly focus on improving how combat works in the game, and everything that goes along with that. We started work on the combat update while wrapping up the main work on the colony update, so there's actually a bunch of changes to combat in this update already, but they're pretty minor compared to the work we're going to put into it now.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Section Z posted:

Are the new and improved upon combat mechanics the primary change, or will how much you can survive getting hit and how many hits it takes to kill an enemy been changed as well? (More forgiving? Less forgiving?)..

Yeah, revamping the combat mechanics will require a lot of balance changes out of necessity, both for the player and enemies. We'll be tweaking all of this stuff as we go forward with the changes.

Section Z posted:

The combat skewing towards Rocket Tag at times, along with the dearth of practical non grindy recovery options has always been my primary :sigh: about the game design from day one. So hopefully that gets sorted to more forgiving instead of more calling fast deaths :darksouls: A lot of the game itself has been pretty cool and impressive and that is the primary thing that has been making me throw up my hands and go play with other things

These are actual questions, not rhetorical ones on grinds

What would your idea of practical non grindy recovery options be, out of interest?

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

lots of feedback

This is cool, thanks for posting your thoughts as you go through. I think we can address some of this stuff pretty easily.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 25, 2015

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

They were supposed to have non-random monsters in a long rear end time ago, I recall they even got the go-ahead for adding Creepers and Diggles...they just CF'd it up or something :shrug:

We've got a bunch of unique monsters going in, (more than 50 right now) with their own unique attacks and abilities as part of the combat update. I think it was only a few pages ago that people were asking for non-random monsters!

The creeper thing is a little odd, We did get permission from Notch to add them. He no longer owns Minecraft though, so we'd have to double check that.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Patware posted:

what defense? he ignores nearly all the criticism, both the dumb pooey ones and the actual intelligent effortposts

:eyepop:

Yes, I should definitely be taking this thread seriously.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Well, I don't know if my post was intelligent and full of effort but I suppose it was more than what typically goes on in here these days. Whatever the case, it does seem quite clear that each little revision here or there to make the combat more "deep" has fallen short and was not well received by this thread. Starbound really doesn't look like a game that needs super deep and punishing combat, that would be more something I would expect out of say Signs of Life. (disclaimer, never played that and I may be pulling that comparison out of my rear end, but it looks like that game was more built to support such complexity.) And as for the farming and jacking up the tedium by massive amount a while back, I would be ok with this if there was eventually automated or high tech solutions to bring automatic farming back to the way it once was.

And I guess that's what I think Starbound should've been all about the whole time, where it's ok to be overpowered and have lots of obtained quality of life tech at your disposal, but working up from the bottom and scrapping together whatever you can before you can get to that sort of state, and the alpha had a pretty good feeling of this as it was. Everyone was actually having fun, playing online, following each other and playing various tunes thanks to the .abc files system. It had potential, potential is what sold this game after all, and sitting here nearly 2 years later I don't see much but cutbacks and abandoning of the original ideas, and just making things harder for the sake of it without introducing something to counter the inconvenience to incentivize progressing further. It's supposed to be a sandbox, and a somewhat fun one at that.

I just don't agree with that view. Go and seriously watch some footage and compare the game 2 years ago, to what we have now. Sure, not everything we have now is polished or in a state with which we're happy with, but it's night and day to what was there before. I do agree that the combat just hasn't been hitting the mark, you know it. And we've known that. It's been a weak point in the game for a while, and there's been a few attempts to improve it along the way while the rest of the game saw improvements. This update we're working on is the first time we're directly focused on tackling how combat works. It's not just about changing a few monster attacks, or weapons. You really have to spend time on every part of it, and we're dedicating that time now.

robodex posted:

i mean i kinda see the rationale behind some of the design decisions w/r/t adding a sense of progression to the game; when the first few versions hit there really wasn't anything to do aside from explore planets and build poo poo so it was basically minecraft in space. progression actually gives you a reason to play it for more than an hour or two before you get bored of seeing the same biomes over and over.

the issue with it is the progression they did implement is just unfun as poo poo and offers no guidance to what you need to do. it's been a few months since i played but i remember having to just google the poo poo out of where to go to find the obscure items i needed to complete quest. looking at what future quests needed just to unlock the ability to go to a slightly different-looking world made me go "gently caress that poo poo" and I deleted the game.

add to that the fact that instead of improving quality of life on things they have actively sought to make it worse and it just feels like starbound is punishing you rather than rewarding you for playing it.

look, chucklefish, instead of adding creepers from minecraft or prettier backgrounds why don't you actually look at the core of your loving game and realize you need to overhaul the poo poo out of it so it's actually fun?

Progression is incredibly important to the game. And it does give players a sense of direction or purpose to what would otherwise be a straight sandbox. The current progression isn't final, it's something that we've been working towards the last few updates, and the quests you have to do right now are artificial placeholders to keep some sort of progression intact. Right now it's in a limbo state where it's getting overhauled, but not all of those pieces are there yet. I definitely share your frustration on that front, because they are a little jarring right now.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 21, 2015

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Who here actually has said anything besides how bad starbound is?

just curious, because if I made something, I probably wouldn't read a bunch of words about how my game is crap waiting for that one piece of corn that is honest criticism.

Especially if I made 20 million dollars on said thing.

I like to read the feedback about the game to get a sense of what people want to see improved, and for the most part it lines up with the stuff we're working on or want to see improved ourselves. This thread is by far the harshest towards the game. That doesn't mean anyone here is wrong, there's just not a lot of useful criticism or feedback to be gleaned from it that hasn't already been said. And most of it is poo poo posting, let's be honest here. A lot of the posts i'd consider feedback are about the core game, but that isn't an overnight fix or improvement because that's not just one feature. That's the result of how everything works together. And some of it is waiting on things that are unfinished, or don't exist yet. That's the nature of an early access game unfortunately.

Making 20 million dollars on a thing doesn't mean much if the thing comes out bad. I think we can all agree on that.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Hey goons, stable is now out :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waZGJjJLFps

quote:

WEAPONS:

- Generated and tiered two-handed weapons now have special abilities that can be activated using right click. Many (45+) possible abilities are available for various classes of ranged and melee weapons!
(Yes, some guns now have flashlights)
- Change to hammer mechanics: hold left click to wind up, release to fire
- Change to spear mechanics: continue holding left click after a swing to keep the spear out to fend off enemies
- Several new classes of hard-to-find unique weapons: boomerangs, chakrams and fist weapons
- Find blueprints to upgrade these weapons into even more powerful and specialized versions at higher tiers
- Dual wield fist weapons to enable powerful combo finishers
- A few miscellaneous unique weapons and items such as flamethrowers and remote-detonated grenade launchers

MONSTER + NPC COMBAT:

- Lots of new unique monsters found throughout the galaxy, each with their own special abilities and behaviors
- Knockback is more powerful and reliable
- Monsters have clearer ‘telegraphing’ to indicate when they are about to attack
- Remade shields and improved blocking mechanics
- Replaced electric stun status effect with Electrified, which periodically damages other nearby enemies
- Hostile monsters now damage the player on touch

VEHICLES:

- New system for player-controlled vehicles which can be spawned and despawned using Vehicle Controllers (acquired at the Outpost)
- Hoverbikes!
- Great for travelling across planet surfaces quickly!
- They include a passenger seat so you can transport your friends!
- Come in several attractive colors!
- Drive carefully to avoid blowing yourself up!
- Boats!
- Similar to the previous boat tech, useful for crossing large bodies of water
- Your friends can ride on deck or pose dramatically in the bow
- Visit Rob Repairo in the Outpost shipyard area to repair your vehicles using auto chips, which can be found in the world or purchased at the Outpost

QUEST:

- Quest givers’ portraits are shown on quest dialogs and in the log
- Colonists now occasionally give players new procedural quests to help improve their house or social standing
- The abandon button can be used on procedural quests and the same quests can now be declined

BIOMES:

- New ‘Midnight’ planets
- New ‘Frozen’ planets (replaces Tundra)
- Prism, Steam Spring, and Hive sub biomes
- Over 300 new microdungeons and other improvements to all underground biomes, including background caves and parallaxes

OTHER:

- Craftable elevator objects, because stairs are so last millennium
- Consumable dyes to change the color of armor and clothing
- Capture pods are (for now) used to capture and relocate critters, with a more complete pet system returning in a future patch
- Loads of item descriptions have been fixed/replaced/added, including lots of Novakid ones!
- Too many new objects, items, costumes, colony tenants, etc. to list
- Too many bug fixes, item tweaks, and balance changes to list
- Improved support for Tiled map and tileset format for modders

ISSUES:

- Some one-handed, unique and biome weapons which still use the old system will be replaced in a future patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
1.0 is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6PUh3reG0

• Locked thread