Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
New stable update showed up on my Facebook feed. I have a lot of posts in the old SB thread about how excited I was for this game. I have to say, Chucklefish has done a very impressive job of killing almost all the enthusiasm I had with their insanely unfocused design decisions. They need some sort of project manager really badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

The dream is dead. Now modders won't want to finish my bad game for me. :(

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

The combat in this game is so good

That's some Symphony of the Night style action right there.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Blhue posted:

lmao if you like things

The Games subforum summed up in one post.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I remember what it was like to have hope.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I'd hope Chucklefish has a JIRA page setup for Starbound with a dev roadmap. At least a Trello or something, but I doubt it. I've said it before, it seems like they have absolutely no sort of project management or goals beyond throwing whatever game elements Tiy currently thinks are the most awesome. I agree that the game has gotten palpably less fun as the updates have rolled out. I think one of the big problems is that the only people left on their forums are 13 year olds who have the time and the sperg to literally sit and watch plants grow. If that's who they are going to choose to listen to, then of course this game is going to degenerate into a :darksouls: unfun mess.

And yes, chalk me up as a guy who had some embarrassingly gushing things to say about this game before it actually came out.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Tiy, buddy, I guess what I'm saying is, fly me* out to your offices and I will get you set up with proper project management and a development roadmap with goals. I will turn this Chucklefail into a Chucklewin.

And my wife. She wants a vacation in London. Thx.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Ayn Marx posted:

I remember buying this when it ended up on Steam, playing it for 20 minutes and thinking "Yeah I'll wait until it's finished thanks." Is it somewhat interesting/close to completion now or should I come back in a couple years?

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I remember a younger, brighter-eyed me firing up Starbound day 1 of beta, and playing it for hours and hours. I thought to myself, "I'll shelve this game for six or so months until they can put more features in so I don't play it until I hate it like with Minecraft." Oh, what an idealistic youth I was.

Starbound seems to be what happens when you let the UX/UI people "plan" your whole project.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I'm glad there are so many cool axes, hammers, and swords in my sandbox sci-fi raygun game.

And I'm really not following development anymore, but are they just now adding in vehicles? Weren't there like, tons of really awesome vehicle mods for the game a few months after it came out? I remember some really sweet mech suits being a thing at one point.

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 8, 2015

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Davoren posted:

holy lol, hosed up if true

I feel like they'd rather be playing this game than making it. The best changes are always art related, and every update seems to have new biomes or mini dungeons, cause they just want to build stuff that looks cool rather than work on systems.

It's the "we have more art designers than programmers on our team" problem.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was just thinking that, so far, the best thing that Chucklefish has to their name is Risk of Rain (although they're only the publisher), and that game is indeed one of the ones you're referring to.

Is that Halfway game any good? It looks kind of interesting but I decided against it when I saw who was publishing it. Same with Interstellaria or whatever it is.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

SovietPotatoe posted:

Both of those are pretty decent. Nothing amazing but then they only cost $10 or something. You realize just because it says published by Chucklefish doesn't mean CF was actually involved in any of the development (or even the publishing for that matter)?

Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm just saying that the fact that it was published by Chucklefish was enough to make me feel really leery of it. It didn't help that the first game they published was that one Wanderlust game.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I'm not sad about the dumb haskell-coded Pirate Game. I particularly lost interest when they showed all the different art-style mock-ups with an announcement that they were going with the "bog standard indie game" style of pixelated stick-legs.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

SovietPotatoe posted:

Why would you program a video game in Haskell of all things? :psyduck:

IIRC the programmer was doing it as a "personal challenge."

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

Was this before or after the cumgun saga?

Cumguns, birdtits, horsetits, dirt colors. The Starbound threads really had it all.

Magmarashi posted:

Dark Souls!

Always a classic.

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 14, 2015

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Dev said they found a goo gun that shot out white goo and made a joke about a cum shooting gun. Goons Got Really Mad about it all and caused a multi-page derail about how they weren't going to be a part of a childish, immature game.

Sadly, they have been proven right.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Hey at least that multiplayer Harvest Moon game just landed on Steam (in "coming soon!" form). The 'fish is just publishing it, so I have a little hope.

Oh dear... how could one :darksouls: up Harvest Moon?

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 15, 2015

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Just... what? What? Chucklefish Games, what is your minimum viable product on Starbound? What does that look like? I can only assume the game is just some sort of dev playground now where they add and remove things at will with no clear roadmap of where it's all going. And please stop listening to literal or figurative children who have nearly unlimited free time to spend on pointless bullshit.

Ahundredbux posted:

Here's them (Chucklefucks) playing it if you wanna know more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tieL7TA_f9o

Cautiously optimistic still. Time seems like it passes a little too quickly but that could be fixed. Bad things get fixed, right? Right??

EDIT: Time passes while indoors whyyyyyyyy

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Here's what Chucklefish did in 2015, guys!

That list is just baffling to me. Earlier this week I put together a list of our dev team's accomplishments for the year along the same lines as this update. But, wow, if "we put out a few updates and went to some cons!" was all I had to report on, I would be really embarrassed for my team's velocity. Chucklefish, please hire a project manager for your bad game.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

The difference is that starbound is 'haha'-funny while star citizen is sad-funny

Yeah there hopefully won't be any suicides when Starbound falls apart.

The most someone could have personally blown on Starbound was that $2,000 "get a statue of yourself in game" pledge level. That's chump change compared to the jpeg armadas that have been assembled using real money in the 'verse.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

You see, in Starbound, ~immersion~ trumps actual gameplay. That's why you can't smelt things instantly or jump very high, it's all part of the experience!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

nerdz posted:

to be honest, i wouldn't be surprised if this was only a step towards making survival the only available mode when it's done. they don't have the resources or focus to keep two different modes balanced.

That'll probably be right around the time they slap on a 1.0 and run off into the London night with naught but a few million dollars and broken dreams of haskell pirates.

In brighter news I played some Terraria this weekend for the first time since like 2011. I'm really surprised how much extra content that's actually cool and fun has been added since I last played. Good job, Red.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

They're getting close to a 1.0 release. I predict they'll leave a skeleton crew on Starbound to add more art assets support the game for about a year while the rest of them run off to Haskell pirate land.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Pretty sure he was also the mastermind behind the "pack up and move to London or lose your job" decision that brought development to a screeching halt for the better part of a year.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Truth. About the only thing Starbound has on Terraria at this point is the ability to break multiple blocks in one swing and exploring multiple worlds without making a new world in the menu.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

nerdz posted:

maybe castlevanias.

https://twitter.com/tiyuri/status/249881891258380288

As for fun combat, Mega Man X 1-3 are probably my favorite 2d games ever.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I really don't understand the decision to make the game so heavily based around melee weapons. Terraria has the whole high fantasy sword-swinging field covered. It's definitely not the greatest, and you're asking to die over and over if you bring a sword to a boss fight, but that ground is already been pretty well explored. Starbound could've instantly set itself apart by having a wide variety of crazy guns and just have an emergency lightsaber melee button like someone said earlier. Terraria has some fun technologies too like the laser drill machine that Starbound could've taken and ran with to all sorts of new gameplay options. I think I saw more creativity in the mods that goons came up and that sweet-rear end mechsuit mod than anything Chucklefish has put in since the game went live.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Well Bloodborne has guns in it right? If so I imagine Tiy is going to play it and start doing more with guns after they had more art assets in and finish up the quest content gates. This is all assuming they don't just shove a 1.0 version out the door, declare that they have their minimally viable product, and scoot off forever.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I look forward to playing a finished Starbound at the same time that The Witcher IX comes out.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

Yeah but Awesomeauts (and previously mentioned Soldat) is a game about Multiplayer PvP and... That's it.

As many have said, Starbound is supposed to be an exploration sandbox. But they are focusing on/using as an excuse "PvP balance" for stuff that just makes your half finished primarily PvE game. And even then, if you took the "But PVP!" seriously, there is no actual PvP content beyond "You can attack eachother I guess?"

General mechanics inspiration for "These attacks are not poo poo", maybe. But Tiy would possibly just look at the "Nerf for competitive balance" part of the equation rather than the "Satisfying Gameplay in the first place" part of PvP games even if they were handed a blank check to rip off whichever game they chose.

Like, if they looked at Super Monday Night combat of all things, they'd gravitate towards "Drastically Nerfed jetpack duration on Assault" rather than "This other guy has a sweet lighthing sword, raygun, and teleportation"

I recall an old dev post about how the progression system was going to eventually take players to Sector X. It was going to be a PvP paradise on a persistent server. There was something about players being able to claim planets for their faction and other factions could fight them to try to gain control. Then there was going to be FTL-style ship-to-ship PvP combat. No sir, no scope creep here.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

It was semi planned in a "in a few years once we have nothing else to do" sort of way, which was kind of unrealistic. IIRC we talked about it in one of the dev FAQs but it was never a serious goal.

Yeah that makes more sense as a nice-to-have. Was the PvP thing a future planned project too? I remember pitching that concept to a friend of mine to get him interested in Starbound before things went off the rails.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I remember the Suikoden style space station and the mockups for it. It does sound exponentially better than what we have now.

And yes, PvP heaven was the plan for endgame.

Chucklefish posted:

End game

So eventually you’re going to get through all of the missions, you’ll have the best gear and you’ll be looking for a new challenge. This is where sector X comes in. Sector X is a collection of planets in which PVP is enabled by default and players battle over controlling various planets. To take part in the battle you first have to form an organisation (in game), which gives you access to a space station shared by other members of your organisation. The space station doubles as a ship that any captain in the organisation can control and is constructed from blocks and objects for full customization.

The PVP in this sector is entirely optional, players choose whether or not to attack each other or work together. Monsters, quests and events will be strong enough to be challenging even with the best tools in the game. And in game events, invasions and so on will keep the experience fresh.

While I was looking for the Sector X thing, I found this classic:

Chucklefish posted:

Updates will come thick and fast, sometimes as often as multiple updates a day.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

That's some :tvtropes: levels of interpreting innocuous things as being dark and edgy.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Along those lines I must say I'm unreasonably hyped for Stardew Valley.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Bitter Beard posted:

Starbound wasn't perfect but I wasn't expecting a AAA-title for 15 bucks.

Sure, and I don't really hate Starbound but I think what gets me is that it has so much untapped potential that the devs seem to be ignoring. It's not even a complaint that the game is taking forever, it's that the fundamental design philosophy of the game seems tailor-made to make it as unfun as possible. The removal of sandsurfing and adding a delay on smelting ore are just two examples of this.

Cicadas! posted:

Stardew Valley looks super great. I hope we can get some servers going when Ape gets multiplayer together for jolly cooperative animal husbandry vicious trolling.

I'd totally be down for a goonfarm.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

yyyyyeah early starbound wasn't magically good only to be ruined over time. i don't really know where people are getting that. it started out as some shallow as hell generic thing and over time a lot of things have changed, a fair amount of it questionable at best. starbound is currently a Thing and maybe one day it might be a Better Thing.

I remember playing it for two evenings and deciding that it was kind of janky and devoid of content. Back then I thought "Hey, I'll just wait six months and come back to a ton of new things! That's what I did with Terraria." Six months later and I was amazed at how much the game felt like it hadn't progressed at all, except a bunch of quality of life stuff was gone now and somehow combat was even more annoying.

Looks like you'll be able to live out your Firefly fantasy now with a crew system! I'll admit I like the concept of this idea, but it just screams 'nice to have' to me. I'm really curious as to how they prioritize features. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they define minimally viable product for Starbound as "has a lot of things from other video games that I think is fun."

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Met posted:

That sounds pretty okay, actually. I didn't enjoy having to make perfect arenas in Terraria.

Yeah I don't actually have a problem with that as long as the boss is balanced around fighting in that specific area. Making your own arena turned most bosses into a complete joke in Terraria if you hooked up heart statues to timers and stuck the nurse in a house next to it.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

IIRC the plan was for ship upgrades to come from doing quests before this new thing. I have no clue why they're adding in new early progression systems when there's so much latter game content missing. Are diamond drills really still the top tier mining tool? And are they still breakable? Breakable tools are so 2000-and-late.

Compare the amount of real content Terraria added after its weird blackmail early release in 2011 to the content Starbound's added in the same amount of time. These are the kinds of problems you run into when your team is apparently a 2:1 ratio of artists to coders.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Some Terraria bosses weren't really balanced all that well but isn't the point of a sandbox game that you should be able to cheese a boss by building interesting workarounds to its powers if you want? Isn't teleporting you to a gated area and forcing you to fight a boss while limiting your potential options the complete opposite of what a sandbox game should be? It's not like Terraria had a quest system that required you to hook up those statues and build the nurse a house before it allowed you to fight the boss.

That's a very good point. I think I may just be a tad salty about all the grinding I had to do in hopes of the RNG favoring me and giving all of a boss's drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Devoyniche posted:

Nah, artists understand feature creep. Nobody who has concrete goals and a finished vision spends three years going over and over the same stuff. Whoever said the lead dev guy has ADD is probably right.

True. That's why most projects really need that mostly impartial project manager to look at things long-term and help keep scope from going crazy. I remember them saying in a post about Wayward Tide that they don't do estimations and just work on a "when it's done" philosophy because that's how Blizzard does it. That struck me as nuts because 1) I'm sure Blizzard estimates features internally and 2) you're not Blizzard, Chuckles.

• Locked thread