Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

how me a frog posted:

On a scale from 0 to Terraria, how fun is the game after this update?

Not really on the same scale. Terraria is a quite open sandbox game, this is a really bad linear fetch quest game where all the non-linear options are functionally useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cryohazard posted:

I'd have both a lens and battery slot on it, if you can mod that in. Have the batteries drain a certain amount from your energy bar in exchange for making the MM massively more efficient and powerful, and have the lenses focus on different types of scenery- one type for metallic, one for dirt/sand, one for clay, one for water, one for lava, one for soft rock, one for tougher rock, stuff like that.

Then while spelunking through some mossy caves you might come across a granite patch in a wall full of shiny ore, you'd think "aha!" and switch in your Super Granite Mining Lens, hoover up the ore then go back to your Mossy Dirt Removal Lens and carry on your merry way.

Only if it comes with an improvement to the godawful UI, because I would find that more annoying currently due to having to fiddle with the terrible inventory constantly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

I dunno, it looks fine to me. You can see pretty clearly that he's in a light surface area, and just below him, where all the non-coal ores start, it opens up massively. Terraria's cavegen works the same way, basically.

Terraria's cavegen generates tunnels from the surface to the bottom of the map without you having to do a great deal of digging, Starbound just generates a bunch of disconnected holes in the ground.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

The quality of life mods are amazing, in particular. There's one just to condense crops down to 1 tile wide each.

There's usually one big tunnel in terraria worldgen that leads down, generally under a big hill. It's a preset sort of thing. On small worlds that's enough to bring you to the cavern layer, where it gets much more open.
I'm saying Starbound does basically the same thing: in both games once you get past the surface level, caves become much more abundant and often overlap. When you reach the bottom of one, you can use torches, flashlights, or your MM to scope around the edges, then do some brief digging if you need to. That's about the same as how I cave in Terraria.

I generally find a couple of ways down in terraria, as well as the cavern layers being much more interconnected. Starbound doesn't generally get you very far with its caves and it also doesn't have any variety in content or style. It's just a bunch of cramped, ugly, useless holes in the ground that don't lead anywhere and have virtually nothing of value in them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why can't I just shoot a big laser stream that blasts through rocks instead of having some lame plinky tool be my primary mining device all the time?

Mining would be fun if I could fire giant shoop-da-woop lasers to annihilate a path through caves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Any day now!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But every time you post, you're here in the thread, like the game coming out, oh, I just know that something good is going to happen, and I don't know when, but just saying it could even make it happen.

Edit:

I hid my copy, in the bottom of my steam library, I can't hide the thread, from the games forum, oh, God, Chucklefish,I won't forget.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 25, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Played Terraria 1.3

Terraria is good.

Starbound is bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going back into terraria the only thing I found myself missing was the ability to dig and place multiple blocks at once.

Otherwise Terraria is 100% better I think. Starbound's interface is super bad and unreadable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

There's a keybind for that. It's a little finicky on placement but way better than handling one block at a time.

The autotargeter? That's not quite the same thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Curious to play it, as the colony mechanic seems like it may offer the things to do I've been looking for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Supernorn posted:

What would your idea of practical non grindy recovery options be, out of interest?

If you want to rip straight from a good game you could always just do estus flasks which are refilled upon visiting your spaceship/teleporter.

Also planetary bases should project a slow regen aura rather than having to sleep in a bed.

Basically dark souls/terraria does a good job of it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 25, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Got past the annoying mining mission faster this time, which is good, I guess. It's still rather dull. Staying at range and plinking enemies to death is much more practical than engaging them in melee when your character moves like a slug. The slow backwards walking is tedious and unenjoyable, and I still don't see what it adds to the game.

I also haven't found any diamonds, so I am not mining anything, because the matter manipulator is agonisingly slow and unenjoyable to use. Why do I have to dig through tonnes of blocks before I can get an upgrade that makes digging through blocks marginally less mind numbing?

Conversely mining for any other ores is largely irrelevant because I found enough iron and copper in the starter dungeon to get me past the mining base mission. Preferable to mining it but I am left wondering what the point in material progression is when I can just find stuff lying around, both better weapons and better materials. I spent more time clicking through the crafting menu than I did looking for the materials.

The game performs extremely poorly, going to the outpost is virtually unplayable from the frame stutter.

I'm encountering exactly the same issue as with the previous build, there is nothing fun to do. Everything is tedious. About the only thing I do like is building houses but there is very little point. I spent hours building a house and the only thing that moved in was some useless guide NPC that doesn't do anything. It looks nice but now I have a house that does nothing (terraria houses are more functional, each one adds a useful NPC and there are more functional things to place) and I have a bunch of new planets with very little on them that I haven't already seen. I've also run out of scavenged medical supplies and food so I will presumably have to start growing things which looks painfully dull. I don't enjoy waiting around for things to happen, I'm not playing a mobile game.

The inventory is still virtually unusable, tiny pixellated icons in a tiny window are not acceptable UI design. I can't find anything and having to click and move things around manually is extremely annoying. There is no "use from inventory" button that I can see so I have to drag things into the damned hotbar and use them from there which is stupid, there's no "loot all" button, nor any sorting system for putting items into containers like Terraria introduced in the latest update. For a game with as heavy a focus on inventory management as Starbound, the inventory is absolutely inexcusable.

Aside from things being cheaper, it feels more or less exactly like the previous update, and these are largely the same complaints I had as in the previous update. This isn't fun to play.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 26, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not fun. It's exactly like building houses with nobody in them except you get a pixelman that moves in and walks around them, and gives you three sugar every ten minutes or something.

You can build very attractive houses but they don't do anything, which given the point of the update is allegedly the colony system, is rather impressive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BillmasterCozb posted:

Wait, sugar? gently caress, I NEED sugar, gotta build a house!

You can find sugarcane on planets, it's much faster. They don't only give you sugar, they just give you a paltry amount of mostly useless and never valuable items.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks cool but remember how clunky everything in starbound is.

It will be bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I was bored so I went tooling around steam and I ended up at the starbound page, since when are early access games allowed to win any sort of award before there even close to done? And I'm sorry but starbound is not one of the top 100 PC games of all time. There should be a rule that unless it's a specifically early access award early access games should not be eligible. And I don't care whether or not PC gamer is super bias. And the kicker is that the award they won is from 2013! More than 2 years and it's not even done yet and arguably getting worse. My question to you is, would starbound win that award or get on that list today or even whenever they push out 1.0? And I know I'm being unfair to the game that it could be when it's done but it's hard to be hopeful at this point.

Fake edit: is like when people were mad that the revenent wasn't nominated for a 2015 Oscar when it wasn't even out yet... Amagin of it did and won!

That's sort of like asking if a lot of GOTY games would win GOTY if they were released this year. The answer's no.

Now, whether or not you think 2013 starbound deserves to be one of the best 100 games ever at that time, that's another question, but you can't retroactively take awards off people because the games don't hold up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rhopunzel posted:

He's a "businessperson" you see. People were willing to work for free so why wouldn't you exploit that? It's good business sense you see.

As said before I still hope Starbound becomes a good game one day, be it by their hand or by modders. That said I had a lot of unresolved bitterness when I left and this thread's really helped a ton with that because I had no real outlet or closure, so thanks to everyone who listened and offered sympathy, it really means a lot. The more I think about it now it was actually a blessing in disguise. Right up until the end I wanted to care, but I'm learning that even if I did all the perfect things and stayed I'd have 1) still been hosed with my contract when it expired and 2) still be associated with a game that has an incredibly bad reputation. The more I read around the more I'm finding that Bart and I stand out among people as the ones who got out and are thus spared from association with it. It's given me time to focus on other things I want to do and hopefully even if they don't work out I hope I can return to making games one day.

So tiy is basically an MRA fedora wearing turbocapitalist.

Does he also molest animals or something because I'm finding it hard to figure out how much more of a caricature he can become.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is Starbound's version 1.0 going to be like Minecraft's 1.0 where all it did was raise the price and nothing else?

EDIT: gently caress, I already made that joke.

Minecraft is good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rip ded game

• Locked thread