Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I didn't back this, but not from lack of interest - I was concerned it'd be style over substance.

Very happy about the positive gameplay impressions, going to keep an eye on this and if it's actually a solid tactical roguelike on top of the sweet style, I'm all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't watch these youtube videos, the players are horrible. Like, the tooltip says what it does! Read it! Ahhhhhh!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DD's narrator :haw: https://soundcloud.com/wayne1/kubla-khan-by-samuel-taylor

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Highly, highly recommend anyone having difficulty put together a party that focuses on either party movement or enemy movement.

I did a suicide run with zero torches and had no trouble whatsoever, enemies were largely impotent.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Walk into final room in dungeon 75% healed, full light. Get surprised, eat double crits, Vestal bleeds, Death's Door, dead from bleed. :negative:

:darkestdungeon:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Reason posted:

Why complain about the $20 price tag? I've gotten more than $20 of enjoyment out of it already and its not even a done game. People dumb.

Apparently they had a $15 kickstarter tier that didn't include Early Access. Game comes out on Steam EA, lots of people buy it for $20 and start playing immediately, backers are pissed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eonwe posted:

im in support of dicking over early access backers of anything for any reason so im glad of it

Yeah gently caress those guys who funded the game I'm playing :downs:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Not being able to heal outside of combat is odd though. Makes me feel like the optimal way to play is to prolong combat against one enemy while a priest heals, which seems scummy.

I sent a tweet about this exact issue to the devs, they said they're aware of it (stun destress/heal repeatedly), just waiting for all the release fallout to shake out before they start tinkering.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Well on balance I'd also appreciate them getting rid of bullshit aoe attacks critting on every target at the same time...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Feels like quirks in general need some tuning.

Right now it feels like you're getting them thrown at you by the bucketload, and managing them with the Sanatarium (bugs aside) is annoying.

When you spread that over an entire 10-15+ roster, it gets really fiddly and annoying.

I quickly moved from 'Ok I'll pick out the eldritch/weald positive dudes and dudettes' to 'Eh, nothing really horrible in the red column, let's go'.

I think I'd rather see fewer more impactful ones, or a much, much better UI for categorizing and displaying them, otherwise assembling parties for specific missions is just too much of a pain in the rear end.

Charms have similar ui gripes, but to a much lesser extent than quirks, which you can have far more of, have widely varying effects, and you can't easily summarize their total impact on a hero without looking them over almost every run (barring standouts who you've spent some time with).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I've put a lot of hours into this since I came out, about 6 re-starts, still can't beat a single dungeon. Unless there's an entire mechanic I'm missing, every game goes the same way:

You're doing something wrong, but it's hard to say what without actually watching you play. You could steam stream and have some goon watch you, or go the other way and watch some streamers/youtube vids of people who are doing well.

There's a big dose of RNG, and there are some gimpy imbalanced enemies, but in the entire time I've played I've had one full party wipe, and that was on a boss, and that was because I didn't know you could retreat even then.

edit: Quit restarting, and don't hesitate to lose a goober or two on a run, or even dismiss ones with bad enough traits and recruit new ones. Your adventurers are disposable chaff, treat them like fast food employees, the wagon will always bring you new ones.

Restarting is robbing you of useful and important town upgrades.

victrix fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 5, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

That seems like a slightly odd system, no way to improve your characters enough to get past anything.

Your guide also mentions "getting" skills. I haven't found any way to upgrade or improve characters or change their skills.

You're approaching this game with the wrong mindset, you don't need to improve your goons to beat dungeons. A stock party with no progress or gear can beat level 1 dungeons with the right mix of skills. Character progress and growth is a healthy side effect of learning to use good compositions and skills at the right time, it is not mandatory to progress.

You need to stop restarting, and you need to stop looking at this like a 'normal' rpg. Don't get attached to 'your party'. They are not your party. They are a group of terrible people who are only here to rob your estate of its wealth and piss it away with foul acts in a cheap brothel and then wash away the shame with self flagellation at the temple.

Your town is your progress, and losing dudes along the way is perfectly fine. Upgrade your Wagon, get more heroes, throw them at dungeons until something sticks.

Once you get a few non lovely heroes leveled, you can buy them weapons, armor, and ability upgrades, but even then, don't get attached to them.

Your growth and progress should be measured by the upgrades to your town, not by any specific heroes levels, abilities, or equipment.

They are disposable, treat them as such. Use failed runs to experiment with different party compositions and skills. If things don't work out, oh well, there's always another cart of fools next week.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Goddamnit. There was a decent post on the official forums about interactables, but it got nuked for some reason. Here's what I could salvage from cache:

code:
Curio Interaction:

ALL DUNGEONS:
Heirloom Chest – Skeleton Key – loot
Unlocked Strongbox – ?
THE RUINS:
Iron Maiden – Medicinal Herbs – loot
Altar of Light – Holy Water – gives a buff
Alchemy Table / Lab – Medicinal Herbs – loot
Alchemy Table / Lab – Torch – full light
Confession Booth – Holy Water – decreases stress by 30 – or – removes random negative quirk
Locked Display Case / Cabinet – Shovel (destroys some content) – loot
Locked Display Case / Cabinet – Skeleton Key – loot
Urn – Holy Water – loot
Stack of Books – Torch – increases stress to 100
Holy Fountain – ?
Sarcophagus – ? (?not Shovel or Holy Water)
Locked Sarcophagus – Skeleton Key – loot
Bookshelf / Bookcase – ? (not Torch and Holy Water)
THE WARRENS:
Eldritch Altar – Holy Water – decreases stress by 30
Edlritch Altar – Torch - buff
Makeshift Dining Table – Medicinal Herbs – loot and food
Dinner Cart – Medicinal Herbs – loot and food
Pile of Bones – Holy Water – loot
Moonshine Barrel – Medicinal Herbs – buff
Barbaric Wall – (Hellion Class) -buffs or negative quirks removed
Rack of Blades – Bandage – loot
Pile of Scrolls – Torch – positive quirk – OR – remove negative quirk – OR
– nothing
Rack of Blades – Bandage – loot
Occult Markings / Scribblings / Scrawlings – Holy Water – debuff
THE WEALD:
Shallow Grave – Shovel – loot
Left Luggage – Skeleton Key – loot
Beast Carcass – Medicinal Herbs – gives food – OR – gives food and loot
Eerie Spiderweb – Bandages – loot
Troubling Effigy – Holy Water – positive quirk
Old Tree – Antivenom – loot
Chirurgeon’s Satchel – ?
Mummified Remains – Bandage – loot
Pristine Fountain – Holy Water – decreases stress by 30
Ancient Coffin – ? (?not Shovel, Antivenom, Medicinal Herbs, Bandages, and Torc <br><br>

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

tripwood posted:

gently caress this. If they patch in an easy mode I'll give this game another go. I just don't care enough to suffer through the horrible RNG. Sweet concept, art and presentation though.
And I'm a huge fan of 'gently caress you' games like FTL but this is just insane. Hope they keep adding stuff to make it better.

I find this game far less infuriating than FTL, and much easier :shobon:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

And quit clicking on poo poo. If you don't have the right item to get a good/neutral benefit from a clickable, you're asking for sanity/health/disease problems.

Basically the dungeon items are 'if you invested X gold you get a Y return from this item'. I can't say that's particularly exciting design, but that's how it works. Otherwise it's 'woo, my dude got a horrid disease from that maggot infested corpse!'

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Choices that are less binary are mandatory if they want to make dungeon interaction more interesting.

Currently the choices are 'possibly get hosed Y/N?' or invest X gold, use Y items in dungeon for guaranteed returns.

If they had interactables that gave you a range of possible outcomes and some idea of what you were getting into, you could make a risk assessment based on your current party status, length of dungeon, desire for phat loot, etc.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oh one other thing, those 'bonus scouting % in area <x>' mods are really drat strong. If you bring multiple dudes with that, you'll have a full scouting read on the whole dungeon, which makes it really easy to optimize your route.

Also I'm not 100% sure, but it sure feels like having an enemy scouted increases the odds of surprising them. I had a dungeon totally scouted and literally surprised all but one enemy group.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I'm hoping they'll smooth out the very-early-game difficulty issues and add either more challenge or more RNG fuckery to the rest of the game.

Inverse difficulty curves are the bane of rpgs everywhere.

I hope they'll manage to keep shaking up encounters through the endgame, because too often the way these games work is it's easier at the end than the beginning.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Weakness revealed in a single post

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Norns posted:

This is the first early access game I feel really good about buying.

The game is just bursting with personality. Such a great aesthetic.

I would no poo poo love to play a castlevania type action game in this setting, with the narrator intact.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Loss conditions are fine... if the game is of a reasonable length. Not sure this one will be once all content is added.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just realized this game is turn based Undying.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Don't listen to him, much like cutting off the labels on your mattress, you will end up in jail

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

No Dungeon or Cove? Bummer :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I hope they just bake that into the game. Keeping a wiki open is stupid, at most put them in as one time discoveries that you unlock for the rest of your save.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lmao

Start game, knight dude gets crit, bleeds to death, thief dies to second encounter

Both dead

VICTORY, WELCOME TO THE HAMLET

Didn't feel like victory, but ok

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Afraid of Audio posted:

i started playing this again after a long absence and its real good/feels a lot easier in the beginning

Conversely I started a new game and had my initial party wiped out by the first bandit fight

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there/are they adding a loadout feature to save parties and trinkets?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I played one binge of this some time after EA release to assure myself my backing had been well placed, and boy had it.

Can't wait to play the release version, let's see if I can top party wiping in the tutorial dungeon :allears:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah, 'happy ending' isn't exactly what I'm expecting here

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

New Game +
Upon successful completion of the game players will be awarded New Game Plus. When creating a new save file, you will be prompted if you wish to start a NG+ file. Players must use the DD Strict gameplay options, tougher monsters, and two extra criteria: Complete the game in 91 Weeks with less than 13 deaths. Failure to do so and players will be greeted with a game over, and a deleted save.

:haw:

In most games, NG+ is god mode stomp, not DD, no sir

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So you can lose trinkets by using the Tavern... am I missing something or is this completely pointless busywork if you just remove them each time you send them there?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

They can lose unequipped trinkets too. Think of it like kids and a cookie jar. You, the mom, leave the room to clean up the eldritch horrors, and your punk kid Dismas comes in and sneaks out with a cookie he doesn't deserve.

Ok that makes more sense :eng99:

To the chapel with you, heathens.

Don't come up with dumb rules that make the game harder and then complain it's harder. The whole point of the town development is making the game easier to progress and recover as you play. Restarting scraps all of that. If you can't let go of people dying, this isn't the game for you.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Why would you restart :psyduck: You lose all the development on your town, who cares about the dorks.

And you can avoid ambushes, make sure one of your camp skills is ambush protection before you set out.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Exactly this happened on my last boss fight, three times in a row, resulting in the death of my heroic Bounty Hunter. RIP.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So uh, is there any penalty whatsoever to throwing a fresh batch of stagecoach recruits into dungeons with no light to farm loot for months on end?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

leprosy is hard to spread :colbert:

He spread it in this thread just fine :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I feel like this game is drawing in a lot of people who don't play or aren't used to games with permanent consequences, and it's driving OCD 100% perfectionist rpg save-every-potion-until-the-last-fight types absolutely bonkers when something goes wrong.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren: Unless you are playing some sort of weird self imposed Iron Man challenge, Do Not loving Restart :siren:

Level 1 blacksmith upgrades trivialize the newbie runs, much less having a party that actually has the skillset you want unlocked and upgraded.

I seriously do not understand why I keep reading people restarting the entire game every few pages. Do not do this.

The Hamlet is your character, not your party members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

President Ark posted:

because we've been trained for years in other RPGs that if there's a fight where you have a Big Guy In Front And Little Guy In Back you should kill the little guy first

I really hope they had this conversation at Red Hook while they designed that fight, giggling maniacally as they implemented it