Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Reading the last page, I never realized you could only lock down three positive quirks. I knew you couldn't get rid of the locks once they're placed though so I started locking things down and get more good ones later. Thinking I should probably reraise half my Hamlet now.

Before I do, are there any quirks in particular I might not be realizing are really good? I already figure Slugger and Unerring are probably the best but I struggle to see if things like Deadly or Fated do very much or if Natural Swing/Eye are even necessary. Should I assume more quirks have yet to be rolled out with the full release and just wait til then?

Olive Branch posted:

I personally love Fated. It rerolls any miss again, basically making you attack twice. +Crit % is also really nice to lock in if you are focusing a ranged or melee set of skills, and for the defensively minded, Hard Skinned gives extra protection to tank.

Yeah for Tanks/Healers too, I figured Hard Skinned and Evasive are pretty necessary. Tough being more applicable on something like Man-At-Arms or Crusader. But then I'm not sure if Bleed/Blight Resist quirks might be better if they have so much health and I'm starting to experience the pain of Arterial Pinch.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Of all the lowlight Level 0 dudes Short quests I've done, the one where I had a Jester double as a stress healer so I could use survivors for a couple Medium quests past it was the slowest loving run and it still ended in everyone having 80-90 stress because I was short a dude doing actual damage and therefore took more Crits as a result. You may as well skip stress healers early on. Or at least double up with a Houndmaster's Cry Havoc to make sure the Abom stress recovery comes in full.

Black Wombat posted:

The straight +Dmg ones are good - I have a hellion with Slugger and Warrior of Light locked down and boy howdy. She can wreck things.

The +Acc quirks are also very worthwhile. Enemy dodge outpaces hero accuracy growth, and so at high levels every little bit helps.

+Speed is quality on most heroes. I mean, if it's on a Leper or an Arb nobody cares, but on mid-speed characters it's really solid.

Most others aren't worth the cost of locking down.

I think I math'd out later that Fated is actually really really good depending on if it's on every Miss. As for +Dmg, are you counting the +3% Crit Melee/Ranged quirks? Would anyone say those are worth locking down?

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

I kept reading tips about taking dudes straight off the stagecoach, letting them loose without torches, and grabbing as much treasure before they all go crazy or die. So I just figured that was normal. Is the power shift at level 1 that optimal for lowlight running?

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

That is an excellent reason to do it! I just meant that as a vehicle to generate gold and heirlooms it is lacking.

To be clear, I do try to keep guys past level 1 for better survivability in low level dark runs and don't fire them all as soon as they're done unless one would cost too much to heal all their stress and diseases. I absolutely see the value of a Vestal with upgraded heals keeping these low light runs going. I do understand your point considering they already pile on the default 20 stress and, with suboptimal party makeups coming off the stagecoach, they're all probably ending with massive amounts of stress comparatively to full torch runs. I just didn't consider a team's first run at level 0 couldn't also be torchless because why not.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

I'm glad I can't. I audibly cheer when one of my guys pulls through with a virtue. I wanna believe it's rare.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

I'm trying to think of a boss fight you might actually want to bring a Leper to. Maybe the Swine Prince since it's always front ranks and Flesh which can be easily Hew'd? I guess the Hag if you really wanna focus on getting people out of the pot. I thought the Siren because her ranks don't fill out too much but then I remembered when you get someone back they get dumped to rank 4 and at that point your leper may as well be perma-charmed for what good he does.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Iron Chitlin posted:

Afflictions vanish when stress falls to 0, this works in missions as well but good luck dropping it while fighting.

Camping is the key. Although the only time I was able to do it was with a Crusader whose camping ability is actually boosted by being afflicted. Afflictions also vanish when they get back from the Abbey or Tavern even if their stress isn't healed to zero.

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is it exactly. You'd expect that given all of his handicaps he would at least be really, really good at the things he's specialized for but he's actually merely competent at best at dealing damage. The Crusader has vastly more flexibility and utility and has comparable average damage when you figure accuracy in. The Hellion has outright superior damage and still has way better utility. Withstand and Solemnity make for an ok punching bag but that's not the world's most useful role when you can't draw hits. Intimidate is too unreliable to be all that useful and Purge is the answer to a problem other classes don't have in the first place. Revenge is in the running for worst skill in the game.

I feel like the fix is in taking out Intimidate or Purge and giving him something that hits farther back or making his current attacks hit like a loving truck, like making them ignore Protection or something so those front runners with high prot have some other weakness than dealing DoT to deal with their massive health. That way he's still bad against poo poo like Rabid Canines and stands out from the other hard hitters but I dunno maybe that's too powerful for a hard hitting class.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 17, 2016

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

correct, but if an afflicted party member comes back to town with less than 100 stress they'll instantly lose their affliction

I was pretty sure about how afflictions go away but you seemed to make some sort of sense and I think I saw sources elsewhere supporting it. But when I loaded up my game, I noticed my latest Arbalest off the wagon has this status.

I know I've seen this before because I've often had multiple crits calming afflicted guys down below 100. I don't ever remember not having to get rid of an affliction when I got back to town but I've never left someone with below 100 stress and an affliction to see if they just get better by next week without the Tavern or Abbey. A bug maybe?

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Just in line with every other negative quirk, name it Pyromania - Obsession with fire.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Having started playing back in December, it's harder for me to imagine a corpseless game but I feel like corpses absolutely fit in with the positional battle system they're going for. Instead of making a treadmill grinder of front rank attackers, positional attack actually matters and skills that hit back ranks must be considered equally to front rank attacks. I already get annoyed when my guys crit the guy in front so his corpse doesn't keep others behind it and thus easier to hit by my Arbalest et al. I dunno if skills got changed around much in Early Access but I'd figure moves like Iron Swan were super niche to bosses and nothing else, when Iron Swan is like my favourite Hellion skill nowadays.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol I love how this was predicated right after you turned off things for an easier time.
welcome to the jungle, he's a real fucker. I wiped half a team thinking "what could go wrong!?"

I go into every Shambler fight thinking "this is gonna go absolutely horribly" and I've killed all three I've faced (once surprised during a dark run) without any losses. So just hope for the worst!

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

The last mission ends the game, but there are four in the Darkest Dungeon. I don't see why they couldn't make it an interesting choice instead of just "bring all the torches you can because lots of the mobs drain light and there's no incentive to play in the dark."

I'm pretty sure having a dude with the Lurker Quirk and holding a Moon Ring is one of the highest (if not the highest) DPS options you can have. Of course at the risk of major stress damage and in the Darkest Dungeon, well... :getin:

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

I'm having a hard time coming up with a proper front two but whatever the combination, the worst back two are Hellion in 4th rank and Leper in the 3rd. Hellion can't do anything but her buff and breakthrough in 4th rank and is more likely to be faster than the Leper. Switching with him, as she can only move one forward, or using Breakthrough just makes his next turn switching back, Breakthrough doing some damage but also debuffing your hellion in the process. Whoever is in the front ranks needs to be able to move only one space at a time as being able to move two backward is too good for rearranging.

This is actually a harder puzzle than I thought because I figured Abomination is worse than Hellion because he really can't do anything in the 4th rank at all. But he can't be partied with the Leper, so there's the rub.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

The Berserk Mask and Berserk Charm are two different trinkets. One exclusively for the Leper and one equippable by everyone. And you may as well put it on everyone with that DMG and Spd boost.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Let's do this! :buddy: And they're all wearing Sun Rings too!

EDIT: Trip report!

The red leper is actually my good one so I was worried there for a while.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 23, 2016

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Exmond posted:

Looks like he did quite well. The thing I like about this game is people getting their knickers in a twist when people use sub-optimal party compositions

Yeah wow I didn't even have a point posting the initial picture other than I knew the party composition is loving awful. And with you always getting surprised by the Shambler, who knows how useful those Lepers are on the first round.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

FreeKillB posted:

Echoing this. You'll be grinding for gold/heirlooms endlessly if you won't let your A-team attempt things without being set up ~just so~. I don't see how making sure they have the best possible equipment for their level doesn't lead down a slippery slope where you cure every negative quirk, lock as many good quirks as you can, have the best possible trinkets from the Nomad's Wagon, have all camping skills unlocked, etc. etc. At that point the game becomes a chore, no?

My issue is if you let your main guys do too many runs, you can't make them go for Veteran bosses anymore. The requirement to grind more guys with skills and armour up to that point takes about as much time I'd say as just grinding resources to keep your guys low enough but with better gear/trinkets, with more money going to who you want it to and less guys dying by accident or needing to be fired that you actually care about.

Kaincypher posted:

so, i've been playing for about 6+ months or so, long enough to be irritated by the whole corpses thing, but that's not why I'm posting. I can't figure out the point to the Arbalest or the Abomination. The Highwayman can mark and pull and strike, so the Arbalest's mark ability seems redundant and she doesn't really shine on anything else. The Abomination is a decent heavy hitter, but there's already like 3 other classes that can handle front-row duty without causing stress every friggin fight. Basically, i'm a goober, please help me figure out how to use these classes correctly.

Arbalest is possibly the best attacker to put in rank 4. Not sure how competitive she is for rank 3 but the other ranged attackers generally have front rank hitting melees in that spot as well so she probably doesn't ever belong there. Basically, rank 4 should be an Arbalest unless your dedicated healer or damaging houndmaster can't fit elsewhere.

Abomination is seriously better than any other heavy hitting class damagewise. If you think you can mitigate the stress and the fact you can't bring specific other classes, you will be handsomely rewarded. During the Veteran Hag fight, my Abom must've done over half her health in damage himself. His stun and blight aren't half bad either.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Just wanna say this was like a greater version of what was going on with my suicide squad and the Shambler. Every turn he didn't create more tentacles, only one of my lepers was actually able to attack.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I do think it's overlong, but in a lot of ways I thought XCOM was worse. Past the first few months the loss condition always ceased to be an issue for me, even when I was floundering around for months.

Echoing this because I thought people earlier in this thread mentioned XCOM failstates but I recall going for a long while even before the Alien Base assault and the only punishment I got was more advanced enemies than usual when I started doing story mission poo poo.

I am generally content with the state of this game. However, modding it seems cool and I am actually wondering how to do that.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

I enjoy the concept of the same class in different ranks will have different moves and playstyles. If you don't like emboldening vapours, don't put your Plague Doctor in Rank 1 or 2 where she doesn't belong.

Also the logic of having a universal skill being a bad thing when your situational skills stop having situations seems backwards to me.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

vandalism posted:

This game can suck my dick. I've restarted it a couple of times because I just wasn't happy with how my game was going. Now, I had a sweet start and everything was cool. Had a medium dungeon run with Reynaud and Dismas plus a PD and Vestal. Things were going great. I got slugger, low stress, wrecking everything. Then the loving collector shows up. He didn't kill any of my dudes and I got him, so I decided to go on. Last room fight everyone got overstressed and Dismas got killed. loving bullshit. I keep restarting when I get pissed at the game. Probably dumb, but I don't wanna lose Reynaud or Dismas. I am just abysmally bad at this game.

I don't like how they've changed the game from EA launch. They spent time trying to kick the player in the dick even harder with every change.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

Also dismas and reynaud suck and I fire them if they don't die in the first few missions

Doesn't Reynaud always have Kleptomania? Man, gently caress that guy. And Dismas is just asking to be dismissed.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

iirc forced curio interactions don't use items and that requires a torch to get the party started

I'm still of the thought this negative quirk should exist. Plz Red Hook give me Pyromania.

GlennFinito posted:

edit; just started a mission and forgot to buy shovels...first tile is a thorny thicket..the second tile is a..thorny thicket :smith:

This is how my Veteran Hag mission went. I got literally everything else bought and prepped perfectly and I forgot shovels. I risked it with two thorny thickets along the way, though that RNG for you is pretty lovely, but I made it to the hag and killed her AND had no dedicated healers either. Arba/BH/Houndmaster/Abom. I'm still surprised none of them went crazy.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 25, 2016

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Grinding in any game is more of a psychological impulse for an attempt at risk mitigation. Complaining about grinding in games that require little to no grinding to actually play is such a bullshit argument.

When you are able to take lower level guys into literally any dungeon, even the Darkest Dungeon, the argument about anything the game wants you to do disappears. Maybe everyone will have a better appreciation for drunken benders, favourite heroes dying, and the like when they're forced out of their comfort zone in New Game+.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Are there any negatives to keeping diseases? Been trying to get rabies on all my heavy hitters.

I tried doing this and it seemed to me at least that those with untreated diseases are more susceptible to spontaneously generating more diseases at the end of quests. It's probably confirmation bias though but I also wouldn't doubt Red Hook attempting to dissuade people from keeping rabies forever, especially since the Sanitarium can be upgraded for a chance to treat multiple diseases at once.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Is it worth taking Abominations without Jester support?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, you're better off bringing someone that can make fights shorter so there's less turns your Abom accrues stress. There's little you can do to diminish stress on your other party members save for bringing a lot of food for camp feasts or keeping your Abom human as a support character.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Rascyc posted:

gently caress

shs posted:

little pig :negative:

:vince:

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Serpentis posted:

Fun fact I learned the hard way yesterday: The Hag's "grab a hero for the pot" free action is guaranteed to go first no matter what the relative Speeds are. Well, guess what happens if, after a hero gets spat out of the pot on Death's Door, and then she crits your entire party with the meat mallet as the last action in the round, so that all the survivors are on Death's Door as the round refreshes?

Yep. She still gets a guaranteed first turn, not to grab a hero (as she can't grab them on death's door), but with her mallet. Which felt like critting again.

Wipe ensues.

Motherfucking Hag. gently caress. loving gently caress.

You actually can go faster than Into The Pot! With a combination of Marching Plan, The Quickening, and a Berserk Charm, everyone except my Arbalest went before the Hag put anyone into the pot at least on Veteran. And I didn't even intend to go before it so it might be easier than you think.

Not sure if it's true about All Hands on Deck! or Reinforcements! too but you probably don't want to go before those activate anyway.

Rascyc posted:

Really? What's the point of the dumb "void zone" then? I thought I tried to retreat half way through the fight and the icon was grayed out but now I don't remember.

Lame, I could have avoided that wipe then. TMYK

I think the "void zone" is merely a justification to be fighting that thing in complete Dark. Dark itself might make retreating even harder but I don't know for sure. Though it definitely counteracts super powerful and safe teams that have +DMG and +ACC in the light so I really like that about the Shambler.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I retreated from the first Shambler I fought without any trouble although for all I know that was lucky. I relit the torch but then I ran into it again in the hallway because I didn't realize it stayed in that position (I figured since it was "in the void" it was not physically on the map).

So I retreated again and just abandoned the quest.

Fun thing about the Shambler I at least read on the wiki:

If you run away from it, it will always be your next battle encounter no matter where you go. It doesn't go away until it dies. So if you can't kill it, you may as well abandon your quest or summon it only after you've completed the quest and continued adventuring.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Challenge of the month: Play with only Jesters

Imagine four fools on the edge of madness. A Finale of the Jester nearest the edge sends him to the back of the line and takes the place of the fourth Jester. And so on. Your mind works the same way.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yo i dont remember whose advice on the shambler was "kill shambler first and ignore the little things as they buff themselves" but your advice sucked, dude

turns out the little things continue to exist after the big guy eats it. SALT.

It still is good advice because otherwise it's a war of attrition. The turning point in that earlier double Leper vs. Shambler fight was when I shifted my focus off killing the little things first with Lepers and plucking away at the Shambler with the grave robber for very little damage. Instead having my two trucks actually attempt to get hits before more tentacles arrived and the Lepers got shuffled around. Kill any tentacles with buffs on them but otherwise every hit on the Shambler is progress towards the fight being over rather than being more comfortable.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

The sad thing is she dumps them right back to you in rank 4.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Dots are the key to the flesh fight because all four enemies count as one and it heals constantly from the heart. So a hound master using its ability can put a bleed on all four enemies and do 4x the damage from one dot.

Don't take the leper to the drowned crew since it shuffles people around. The cannon is probably a good idea though.

Just like the Necromancer, the Drowned Crew folds to Crusaders because they are Unholy. Plus Crusader camping skills give stress damage mitigation which is necessary for anyone who gets All Hands On Deck!'d into Heave to!

Leper is okay against the Flesh and maybe also the Pounder. The problem I'd have is the Leper having the inability to hit specific targets. Sure, Hew will hit the first two parts of the Flesh for a bunch and can knock the cannon around since it'll almost be in the first two positions and has tons of Prot. But a front liner having the ability to target a heart in any position, like a Hellion, or killing the Matchman should your other ranks somehow fail to both seem way more important or like better options. I think once again that if Leper ignored Prot or reduced it both of these fights would totally be his bag.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Doctor Schnabel posted:

i thought guard didnt work for the roof collapse

It doesn't if the guy guarding is also targeted at the same time. Same deal with the Swine Prince. Man-At-Arms/Houndmaster are still phenominal in both of those fights.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

If you guys really really wanna target Wilbur, just Flashbang him. That's it. That's the secret.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i thought wilbur could aoe stun in the Swine God fight without the big guy being dead, but i've never fought it so idk

in any event,

Thought this was gonna be Undertale fanart for a second.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Now you, like me, are a part of this place.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Is a trap's higher resistance to disarming on higher level expeditions factored into a character's trap disarm chance when you hover over their icon near a scouted trap? Unless it was some sad RNG, of course, my Crusader with a displayed 90% chance to disarm three traps in a row happened to fail all three. It is sad when I neglect to bring a disarming adept class but then the icon makes me believe I've got a good shot.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

I also ran into him somewhere on my third or fourth week. Junia's head as my reward and healing has never been a problem for me since. Though nearly every time I've faced the collector, I've had to abandon the quest right after whether I won or not. The one exception is when I was on my quest to kill Veteran Flesh and he showed up as my like third encounter. Houndmaster best class.

packetmantis posted:

food - 50 gold
torches - 200 gold
medicinal herbs - 50 gold
shovels - 75000 gold

please help me budget this my hamlet is dying

I love this.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

@darkestdril: well i was going to enter the darkest dungeon but this yelp review says theres a nude man at the bottom swinging chains around and yelling "gently caress u

IF THE HAMLET FIRES ME FOR HOLLERING AT MY TEAMMATES I WILL FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Darkest Dungeon.gif

The poor caretaker. I fear his longstanding duties here have... affected him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Neat party composition I'm rather enjoying right now. Arbalest-Jester-Houndmaster-Leper. I like to call it "No healer? No problem!" or less commonly "The Jester and Arbalest will probably die if targeted". Decent damage against all positions, good DoT (though only bleed), only one stun but it's the most reliable, and major self-sustenance and stress management. Not optimal in the slightest but good coverage and synergies. Makes me wish Intimidate was single target marking skill against any position though just to round out all the Marking + Debuffs.