Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm a bit confused here. Is the game semi-sandbox in that you can pick and choose what to do, upgrade the town etc etc, or is it more linear than that? I can't seem to find a particularly clear explanation for how a normal game progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

Judging by the posts in this thread, it seems I'm going to have to break my personal rule of "no paying for easy access games" and buy this one.

Seriously, this was me and I don't regret my purchase at all. A friend sold it to me on the basis that I always had a ton of stories from my XCOM soldiers and this would give me the same sort of narrative - something she was dead on with. My characters are already developing little personalities of their own and I've got a nifty little story running with little more than combat behaviour and some poorly/greatly timed barks to go on.

I feel sorry for my crusader. There are no other tanks in the roster right now and he spends his time in town sobbing and crying to himself about what he's seen, begging me not to send him back. :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does the torch burn down in real time, and if so is there a keyboard shortcut to top it off? It's such a small thing but stopping to open my inventory and double click a torch really stands out as clunky compared to the rest of the UI.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

quote:

A doctor, researcher and alchemist who prefers to hang back, eating away at her foes with stacking damage-over-time abilties like toxic clouds & plague-filled grenades. She is equally effective in a support role, blinding and confusing foes while enhancing a party's survival with damage-increasing tonics, and remedies for bleed and blight effects.

I totally missed the plague doctor was a woman. :psyduck:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eurgh, my irreplaceable Crusader keeps nicking poo poo so I can't afford to send him to the sanitarium to stop him nicking poo poo. :argh:

I'm guessing skill unlocks are per character rather than per class?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

Correct. If you buy Holy Lance on one Crusader and then hire another, he may or not have Holy Lance on his own and you may have to buy it again.

Cheers. Been pissing money away, brute forcing my way through everything so far, so it's nice to get confirmation.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, my healer girl is kind of terrible - she suffers a lot from poor stats and will need a lot of gold to get her skills sorted - but it's hilarious watching her flip out, stomp her foot down and basically tell the group to stop being babies and get its poo poo together whenever someone panics.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just figured out Grapeshot is an AOE, goddammit. I'm so bad with this interface.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd hate for there to be a definite failure state. The game feels much more reliant on RNG than XCOM, etc, and a lot of the fun comes from dysfunctional lunatics making up your ranks. If they were a total liability and risked the entire campaign, rather than just the dungeon runs they were involved with, that'd hurt it a lot I think.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm wondering how demented a playthrough without the sanitarium/tavern/church would be.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why the hell do these assholes cause so much stress purely by spilling wine on my guy in full plate. :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The spelling of Breakthru makes me irrationally angry and I don't care who knows!!!!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Maybe they could leave the lack of a failure state as is, allowing those other games to fulfill what people here are after?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If the game wasn't so RNG dependent at times a sense of urgency would suit it. At least in, say, XCOM you can mitigate what the RNG gives you - but here pretty much everything is reliant on it, and I don't think a game rushing you and getting to choose what you have would be particularly challenging. Just annoying.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Anatharon posted:

I suppose my biggest issue is that everything's a big old roll of the dice and there isn't much you can do about it.

Pretty much.

I mean don't get me wrong here I like the game - I enjoy crafting stories out of my adventurers with the trait system, their breakdowns, etc - but a lot of the time it feels like my "mistakes" come from all enemies getting a critical hit on the same party member in a single turn, or going weeks without a useable healer, rather than genuine gently caress-ups on my part. It's a tricky thing to balance I'll admit but it's no less irritating.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

..new arrival at the stagecoach.

Respect the gender identity of your adventurers, please.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seriously. They arrive by carriage but you don't see them leave that way...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's a bit weird to call peoples' theories on the game silly when its gimmick is unrelenting darkness. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Roland Jones posted:

We know people can leave, though. Your adventurers leave all the time to do stupid stuff. Also, the whole thing began with you getting a letter that came from this place. And, again, presumably the carriages are leaving because otherwise in addition to an infinitely large pile of bodies people keep driving carriages and horses here and there's an even bigger pile of them next to the aforementioned pile of people you don't hire and carriage drivers coming in to town and never leaving.

It's funny to think otherwise.

you might be making this a more important issue than anyone who actually brought it up

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Blind Duke posted:

Just started this game

First mission with first 4 mercenaries you get

First several fights surprise my group and put people in terrible spots, every stress attack crits, my first Vestal is ganked in the first turn of an ambush not revealed by scouting before I decide it's best to flee

At this point I just delete that save and start over because no I am not dealing with this poo poo just yet game. At least allow me to get attached and hopeful before everything goes wrong

Seriously, whenever I see a group of several wine tossers in the first dungeon I cringe and just restart.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

Today I learned that plague doctors were actually a thing.

Completely took me by surprise.

Yup! I thought Assassin's Creed was taking liberties with the awesome robe and gas mask but nope, that's totally real.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PubicMice posted:

...what were you guys doing in history class?

More general stuff about the time period rather than specific jobs and things. Teachers spoke about doctors, etc, but not about them in any real, specific capacity.

I might have paid attention if they talked about how doctors looked like awesome villains. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is the beginner's guide in the OP still relevant? I've come back to it after a long time away and I feel like I'm wasting all my items on lovely upgrades, not really having a clue.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ZypherIM posted:

It is mostly good info. Personally I don't agree with the town development plan, but that could just be me. The broad strokes are still all pretty much right. Which part are you feeling off on?

Equipment and skills mostly! So far I got my stage coach up to date so I've got a healthy influx of fresh meat, invested in the alcohol upgrades for my bar and also sunk money into the disease curing section of my sanitarium. Beyond that I'm just poking and prodding at random stuff as it becomes available - it doesn't feel like anyone in my parties is lasting long enough to warrant spending gold on their long term equipment, but I also have a feeling that not putting gold there is precisely why they're not lasting long enough!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheers Zypher. :)

Looks like I'm being a little too conservative with equipment then! I'm slowly nurturing a healer (my only one in fact...) so I should get her geared up, and maybe start thinking about the trait elimination aspects of the sanitarium. Currently stress is dealt with perfectly well by getting rip-roaringly pissed so I'm at a good stage there.

The "useless" (i.e. I have no idea how to use them) Abominations, Grave Robbers and Occultists are being formed into suicide squads for low level dungeons so I have a steady flow of income at least. Just a case of getting more deeds together.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, so using the above advice I'm building up a team that's been pretty successful so far - Vessel/Jester/MaA/Hellion, and I'm getting (re)used to all the mechanics again. The gear upgrade has made a bigger difference than I was expecting. :v:

Am I right in thinking that unused items you buy are refunded on a successful quest run now? I seem to remember them being thrown away at the end of a map without any refunds.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Indecisive posted:

I think you get a partial refund, i seem to remember getting 5g for a torch for example

sullat posted:

Very tiny. A tenth, I think. You're better off dumping them for more rubies. Or even crappy trinkets.

Okey dokey, I'll trim down my shopping list a bit then.

And I didn't listen to the torch shrine's warning... :stare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My A-Team's coming along nicely. I'm brave enough to try them with level 2 missions now I've killed the 8 Pounder and Hag. They're kind of held together by my Jester though, who raves the ruck out with her lute and keeps the entire party calm. Not sure what I'll do if she bites it. :ohdear:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
uh, wow. Level 3 quests really took me down from my position of King poo poo. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's the first, and only, option I modded out of the game. It's such an arbitrary decision to limit characters like that and I dislike it.

I love the idea people had earlier in the thread where sending high level folks on low level quests causes the rest of the party's stress levels to sky rocket though, as they're constantly bitching about the lack of challenge.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Any patch notes up? Steam is going bonkers for me so I can't view anything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Only thing I really dislike about the game is having to grind replacement adventurers up from level 0 if (when) their predecessor bites it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

holy poo poo :laffo:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ZypherIM posted:

Hey you're the one that ate the last 4 food. Taking a calculated risk and it not working out isn't bullshit rng man.

He used the food when camping, you dolt.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's almost as if the lack of transparency about the mechanic is what makes people call it RNG.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
For shits and giggles I've got a "only one hero from each class" save file going, and so far it's pretty neat. I expect to go loving ballistic and delete it in frustration when my healers bite it and I have to grind them back up though. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh sure, hence the "for shits and giggles" bit. It's not a serious project or anything but I'm curious how far I'd be able to progress with it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Only just noticed the pig men do actually have hands, rather than the weapons being crudely jammed into the stubs of missing limbs. I'm a bit sad at figuring that out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

they spend all their time loving, eating people, squealing and killing, and it's the hands that get you

That's why it annoys me. I thought they were crazy enough to stick rusting blades into their own bodies, but it turns out they're not. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Soothing Vapors posted:

While we're on the subject of pigmen and their quaint ways: if you guys have not done at least one torchless run in the warrens, I highly recommend it. Let the light die out naturally, don't snuff it. Make sure you have your headphones on.

:stare:

Do any other zones have stuff like that? I know the music gets more intense but that's about it.