Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The new final boss of Chapter 2 feels impossible. After a few failed attempts to fight it, I got there with a party tuned to defeat it (Hellion, Grave Robber, Man-at-Arms, Occultist), they all love each other, have great trinkets, multiple upgraded skills, and I got wiped out before destroying a third of it. Has anyone managed to beat it, and how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I'm just getting into this. It's a lot of fun! I'm loving terrible at it, but that's part of the journey, baby.

Without getting too heavy on the spoilers, is there a cheat sheet anywhere in the thread on which quirks are best/which trinkets are effective/whatever other miscellaneous bullshit might matter in terms of building and equipping my parties? I'm cheerfully shoveling cartloads of people into hell on a trial-and-error basis, which I don't mind, but some general rules of thumb would be good to cut down on the, uh, inefficiencies involved with figuring it all out.

I'd say the most important stats are Scouting, ACC, and Deathblow Resist. Adding Dodge is best on characters that already have a high Dodge stat, and adding PROT is best on characters with a high PROT stat. Any obsession, or craving, etc is very bad and you should remove that trait immediately.

Slightly spoilery tip on collecting a lot of treasure: Always carry a key with you and save it for the treasure chest in secret rooms.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Non-spoilery hints of who you want for each dungeon:

Darkest Dungeon 1: Your party will get shuffled a lot. Don't bring the Leper, Plague Doctor, or Antiquarian.

Darkest Dungeon 2: You absolutely need a Houndmaster or Man-At-Arms with a Talisman of Flame. Also, Occultist, Arbalest, Abomination, Bounty Hunter, Jester.

Darkest Dungeon 3: Good camping abilities are important, and some abilities that attack the back rank. Plague Doctor, Leper, Occultist, Vestal, Jester, Abomination, Hellion, Houndmaster.

Darkest Dungeon 4: High-damage frontline characters are good here. All your characters should be prepared for shuffle effects, but this fight is not as bad as the last two. Hellion, Crusader, Highwayman, Leper, Vestal.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The sequel is designed to play a session in a few hours. The combat looks better, and the new friendship system is a significant improvement. However, there was something really special to the way Darkest Dungeon made you fall in love with a set of characters over many months of play and sometimes brutally murdered one of them. Having a character die in Darkest Dungeon II feels like a Pokemon getting knocked out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My favourite type of game is one where things fall apart and you have to try to salvage it somehow. Darkest Dungeon, Left 4 Dead 2, FTL, XCOM 2. The original Darkest Dungeon does such a phenomenal job capturing that feeling.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, the Cultist Exemplar is as tough as the first final boss. They seem to keep ramping up the difficulty, and I don't enjoy it. The great thing about Darkest Dungeon was spending a long time with each character, and they would only die if you screwed up or got terribly unlucky, so there was a real feeling of guilt.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I agree with your concerns. It seems like the last few updates have made the game less fun. It's no longer a quick roguelike, but feels like a long RPG. As long RPGs go, it has much less character than Darkest Dungeon 1.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Finally went ahead and got DD2. I'm still figuring poo poo out, but fast and simple question: Are the quirks you can get from the Academic's Studies always negative? I might just be on a bumper run of bad luck, but I haven't got a positive one yet, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep trying.

They can be positive. I think at lower levels, you're more likely to get negative quirks, and each playthrough will unlock more positive quirks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alright, thanks. So far everybody's walked away from them with a sudden desire to talk poo poo or steal, but if there's at least the possibility of a positive quirk that's something.

Friendship is really, really important, so I usually make a decision based on whatever will build the most friendships rather than the possible rewards.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Also, I'm not done speculating about his penis. To make it clear to everyone reading this thread: based on his sword he is definitely circumcised. Just throwing that out there. I want you to think about this every single time he's on screen.

What did the leper say to the prostitute?
Keep the tip. _______________

I find that the Leper is one of the weaker classes, but he's definitely strong enough with the right quirks or path. When I'm choosing my party, I'm always looking for characters with a unique hero path, and then characters with a good quirk. If the Leper doesn't have either, he's not worthwhile, but with Breacher he's fantastic.

On an unrelated note, I got DD1 for the Switch and it runs extremely well. However, there are some buttons that I can't figure out how to press without the touchscreen.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I hate how the opening narration now happens in a void. I liked it better when the narration happened as you travelled through the first area.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Champion level missions are a huge difficulty jump, you should do them as little as possible. Your level 5 characters should only have to do them once to get to level 6 - look at their exact XP numbers to see what length of mission they need. If you can get one of the events like Silence in the Crypts or Gentle Tide to make the mission easier, that's a good time to do it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I played through Darkest Dungeon on Darkest difficulty with no deaths, and for some reason I never went into the Warrens. The rewards just weren't appealing, and eventually my characters were all too strong to do the boss missions. I feel like the Ruins are the easiest of the four areas, but I don't know which of the others is the hardest. Maybe the Weald - the one-hit-killing Giant is scary, and the Hag is a brutal battle.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The barks and dialogue system in DDII are really, really good, I think it's the game's greatest strength. The rest of it just isn't as fun as the first game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I really liked the random act-outs and the conversations the characters could have as a result. It sounds like they're removing a lot of the random element, possibly too much of it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just played the new experimental patch after not playing for a couple months. I like the upgrade system a lot, it gives me a lot more choice on what kind of party I want instead of figuring out which ones the random quirk generator decided to make playable. I like the way the new relationship system gives buffs and debuffs to certain skills, and it still has an element of randomness in battle, but I hate the way two characters can go from best friends to archenemies as the result of a random roll.

The scene where the party looks out at the upcoming region is beautiful, that's a great use of the move to 3D.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had two characters die fighting The Child. My Surgeon plague doctor and Deadeye grave robber managed to get through the rest of the area, even defeating a Cultist encounter. The Surgeon fought like a hellion, hacking through enemies with her knife and getting crits exactly when needed. As a result of this brave adventure, these two characters loving hated each other. I feel like having a miraculous victory together should be worth a few more affinity points.

If you can find the right trinkets, an all-hate party could be an extremely effective strategy. I found the Footman's Grog and gave it to my new Man-At-Arms, because everyone in the party hated him, and the Grog turns weaknesses into strengths. I didn't have to worry about stress management, and defeated the Chapter 3 boss on the first try. I think they made him easier, which is great, because the Chapter 2 boss is so hard that it made me quit the game entirely for a while.

I found myself mousing over every healing move each turn to see if it could result in any affinity gain, it would be nice if they put an icon over the move saying "Affinity gain is possible with this move this turn."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fat Samurai posted:

Can I get any tips for what skills to upgrade/how to manage stress properly? I'm having another go after a brief run just as it launched, and I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to manage stress, relationships and actually killing the eldritch abominations in front of me.

The best stress management skills are the Jester's Inspiring Tune, and the Man-At-Arms' Bolster. The Leper and Hellion have good self-soothing skills, so putting one of them in the frontline is helpful. My first priority is generally upgrading Inspiring Tune or Bolster, and the Plague Doctor's Indiscriminate Science ability. After that, I upgrade whichever attack I use most often for each character.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fat Samurai posted:

I’m having fun with the new version. Apparently I started playing just as they tweaked the affinity system,so that was lucky.

A couple of questions:

- What does Loathing actually do? Is it related to why enemies become “ordained” or something like that?

- I think I need to kill at least one boss of a Lair each run, but I’ve been killed each time I’ve tried. How important is to kill them in every region? Should I choose just one that my party comp can handle easily?

- How does the difficulty increase during the run? I haven’t noticed tougher enemies, but admittedly I’ve ben mostly farming the first two regions to unlock new heroes.

High loathing increases the chance that enemies get combat buffs, makes the torch dim faster, and lowers the number of mastery points you get.

You only need one per run, not one in each region. I find the Librarian is the easiest, as long as you have three or four party members who can hit the back ranks.

The difficulty seems to be the same in each region, except for the cultists.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Seems surprisingly fast. I wonder if they're planning to have all five chapters, and some new characters, or if that'll continue to be added over time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I liked it way better when I could start a new game and have a chance at winning. It felt like a smaller, bite-sized version of Darkest Dungeon. Now the game also takes 100 hours to beat, like the first DD, but with much less persistence of the characters.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Darkest Dungeon 1 is one of my favourite video games of all time. DD2 is not. But if changing the formula means that some other players will enjoy this game as much as I love the first, I'm alright with that. The relationship system is a cool upgrade over DD1 though, and my dream would be a game like DD1 with the DD2 relationship system from a couple months ago. And more varied dialogue.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gyoru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yP-HvV7zs

tldw: unlock new heroes first (grave robber is the most replaceable of the initial 4)

Did they nerf her? The Grave Robber used to be by far the strongest character in the beta version, with good damage output and the best self-healing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PosSibley posted:

Attacking the immune root in the back will remove all root stacks from one character. Do it twice a turn and you will never have to suffer.

Holy poo poo. My strategy the entire time has been to load up on DPS so that I can kill him before he kills my guys.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One of my favourite things in any game - Darkest Dungeon, Left 4 Dead 2, Civilization - is when everything goes wrong and you have to try to salvage a victory somehow. That happens a lot in this game, because I can have one or two characters die and still press onwards and win a chapter.

I agree that I miss how many barks there used to be. My characters seem too quiet now, and they're less likely to have any kind of relationship with each other.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BattleCake posted:

Maybe a silly question but at the start of each combat in DD2 I seem to be getting block sometimes for my whole party. I can't figure out the source for that, anyone know what that's from?

When the wagon has full armour, each character starts with a block token.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I miss cultist battles not being mandatory. Each one feels exactly the same, they're just a pile of extra difficulty.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Leprosy is not a communicable disease, game sucks, 0/10.

Yes it is. Most people don't contract leprosy after being exposed, but you have to have contact with a person with leprosy in order to contract it. They used to think it was spread by skin-to-skin contact, but recent research indicates that it's spread through breathing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Can you replay the acts before completing all five of them? I'm at Act 4, and the game won't let me pick any of the earlier ones.

Also, I had a really easy time with Act 3, so I guess I was lucky. Act 2's final boss is the real motherfucker, that one took me a dozen tries.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DD2 feels like I'm constantly losing unless I get lucky. In DD1 on normal difficulty, I was constantly winning unless I got unlucky. Even on Stygian, the game felt much easier than this, because you had more choices available.

Has anyone modded a relationship system into DD1?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Honest Thief posted:

Grave Robber feels better than on EA, dunno if anything changed or I just got more used to her

I think the Grave Robber is the strongest character, and she's always been good. With Absinthe healing her and giving dodge tokens, she's so much harder to kill than all the others.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It seems there's no limit on how much whiskey the characters can drink in one night, so I put a still on my carriage and had a pet owl that made the still produce more whiskey. Everyone got very drunk and friendly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i also wish starting new runs was faster. i dont need to ride the cart thru the void for 2 minutes every run or see all the animations. just lemme spend my candles and pick my guys

It was so much better when the narrator would take as you rolled through the valley, instead of a black void intro.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

victrix posted:

I feel like dots are superior to raw damage, someone give me a raw damage build that's better - dots ticking and killing deathblow resistant enemies is just so good for action economy

I agree, they are generally better. The only build I've used that could outdamage it had a Leper with the trinket that gives him a 71% crit chance while blind, and a Highwayman and Jester to mark targets. But the 90% deathblow resist Leper got instantly killed by a Cultist in the second region, so the party got nowhere.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Has anyone else tried using Footman's Grog for the Act 3 boss? I barely remember that fight, all I know is that I wrote that Footman's Grog and a party that all hated each other made it an easy win.

R.I.P. That's one reason I usually try to avoid the Warrens.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Reached the final boss with Plague Doctor - Jester - Flagellant - Man at Arms, my thoughts:

Each region takes an hour, and the final boss itself takes over an hour. I watched a Youtube video of how the game ends, and I'm satisfied with that for now rather than spending another four hours trying to fight that boss. I understand the gimmick of the final battle, but I couldn't beat it because my 90% deathblow resist Jester got killed by the very first hit he took.. The slower pace of this game just makes me want to play more Darkest Dungeon 1; I'd love to find a way to mod the relationship system from DD2 into the first one, because I think that is the game's greatest new feature.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Your Computer posted:

gotta admit i never actually bothered looking at it while it was EA - which parts were missing? now i'm curious

Half the characters and half the bosses didn't exist for most of the time it was in early access. The relationship system had two major overhauls - it used to trigger random extra actions in combat, rather than the current system where it adds an effect to a random move.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Yeah, I think the roguelike structure is a better fit for darkest dungeon. Not being able to double down on heroes is a good change, it makes them feel more unique and less disposable.

On the other hand, the short length of a DD2 run means that I never feel close to my heroes. A character dying feels more like a Pokémon getting knocked out, because I know they'll have the same upgrades next time I start a run with them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

grobbo posted:

I also just don't, with the best of intent, think I follow the reasoning behind the Valley. Bar the tutorial, it mostly seems to be there each time to insist on the slightly weird idea that you are literally making the same journey each time, and to encourage the player to mop up a little stress and health damage / dole out a couple of candles at the first inn.

For a while in early access, the opening narration took place in the Valley, rather than the black void at the beginning. I've complained about this constantly, and I don't know anyone who thinks it's better this way.

I agree with your complaint about the pace as well. Animations can be slow, so that every irrelevant little fight takes way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Your Computer posted:

i never knew what to do with YAWP in the first game and i don't in the second game either

just seems bad to me? i must be missing something

In the first game it's incredible. She can stun two opponents at once, and the Plague Doctor can stun the back two ranks, which gives you a free turn for your other two heroes to deal damage. In this one, it takes a lot more setup to get a stun with Barbaric Yawp, so it's less worthwhile.