Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Meet Reynauld, my most senior adventurer.

Reynauld has been with me from the start and though it annoyed me at times, I put up with his faith and his habit of stealing. Over time he's become one of my strongest front line warriors, tearing up monsters but especially the undead. Really, this guy hates the undead. He's usually second in line and will often start combat by decimating a weak backline caster. After the latest bout however he developed a love interest and I've had him sent to the sanitarium to fix that, because he refuses to pray or sleep with his lover, poor man's caught in a crisis of faith. I'll fix that.

Next up is my Helion, Bohon.

Bohon is a scary woman, at first I thought that breakthru was kind of an awful ability, but her rabies counters almost half of the damage reduction and her hatred of all things makes up most of the rest allowing her to regularly do 6-12 damage to a row of three enemies, she's insane. I don't mind her obsessions as much but I may have to fix her compulsiveness as its just annoying when she rushes to open a container without letting me use a key or holy water.

5 heroes have fallen so far. I'm targeting the swine king next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

That's amazing.

What does second wind or tough do?

E: Just downloaded a 1.5MB patch after work, that was quick. I guess some kind of emergency bugfix.

It gives another 10% damage boost when below 50% health :v:

Rabies gives 20% damage (but reduces accuracy) and the various hatreds and slayer traits give her accuracy and 15% damage against the right targets. She's a monster.

Edit: I loving hate brigands, they are the toughest enemy by far.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 31, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, this game kicks you in the balls right out of the gate, doesn't it? I can't even finish the first dungeon.

Is there any way to heal inside the dungeon? I know there's a camp, how do you do that?

It depends on the size of the dungeon. A short dungeon doesn't let you rest, a medium will let you rest once and a large will presumably let you rest twice. The vestal is pretty decent but healing in general is a bit weak I think, I like to bring a tanky party and just smash my way through instead of trying to pitifully mitigate damage with heals.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Solomonic posted:

The occultist is also a really good healer. His heal has a chance to cause bleed, but in my experience it's a very small chance so if you take a doctor along (or some bandages) the occultist is the ideal single-target healer/debuffer.

I haven't had much chance to use him, sadly. The first one I got was killed in a manner best not described anywhere. My biggest issue right now is that I'm running out of decent quests. My "main" guys hit level 3 and now they won't join parties to kill the low tier bosses anymore so I have to build a new set of guys and get them to level 2.

I lost a good party to brigands in one dungeon. The big one has a whip attack that applies bleed to your entire party, the rogue has a double attack that does enormous damage and the gunner will also brutalize your party with a full party barrage. I haven't figured out an effective strategy to deal with them because the big guy takes up two spots and not a lot of single target attacks can hit the back line.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 31, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Solomonic posted:

I sent the masochist jester in to flagellate as a form of stress relief, and he came out no longer masochistic.

I guess he got it out of his system.

My brigand liked it so much he refuses to do anything but flagellate himself now.

And I didn't realize that plague doctor skill was a thing, I'll spec into it from now on.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what item uses have people figured out so far? Holy water seems to work on pagan altars, confession stalls and skull piles. The key works on locked chests (but not the unlocked strongbox) and I've found use of torches for burning the piles of paper and it removes one bad trait for the cost of a torch. Herbal medicines also work on the alchemy bench.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The wisened hag boss is kind of a poo poo show. I'm not sure how to build a party strong enough to get through her dungeon AND beat her. She has ridiculous speed and will often do two moves per round as well as throw someone into the pot. Because the pot is size 2 you can't hit her with melee abilities. You also can't destroy the pot because it heals fully when someone is thrown back out of it and it has 28 HP. Every time I've tried hitting it she just throws someone in and that's that, so don't waste your time on the pot guys.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

What happens if you abandon a dungeon prematurely? I'm going to keep my first two dudes alive no matter what, even if it does mean I pussy out.

You get to keep the gold and heirlooms you picked up along the way, but you don't get the quest reward and your guys have a higher chance of picking up quirks.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So, uh. Don't hit the swine prince's little buddy :stare:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dackel posted:

Been watching streamers play this for a while. So much frustration, it's fantastic (to watch)

I'm watching Brotatoe (what the hell?) playing right now and his stress level has gone up progressively since he wiped a party on the hag. He had so much gold too but failed like 6 retreat attempts. Poor guy kept hitting the pot. To be fair I only beat the hag because my highwayman got a 36 crit on the first shot.

Whats cool is that the devs show up in the chat occasionally and answer questions. Between this and That Which Sleeps I think this is going to be a good year :D

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which is better to upgrade first; armor or weapons? I only have enough deeds to do one right now.

I like weapons because more damage = more control in fights. That said some of the scaling doesn't work. The vestal gets no bonus from her weapon so far and I've gotten one to level 3, this also carries over to her healing abilities not upgrading either so it's probably an oversight or a bug.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dackel posted:

Apparently shift+click on a hero in roster removes him without a confirmation?

Jan beat all the bosses in EA, so now all that's left is grinding all classes to 6

I thought he hosed up on the swine boss. The big aoe is something he uses when you hit the little guy, your heroes even yell out "DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!" and when its dead he does nothing but the aoe attack. But I guess he was right and you can just abuse deaths door with aoe heal's (if your vestal doesn't get stunlocked).

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a real use for the Jester or the Graverobber? I keep trying to use them but they haven't really shined like the other classes, which is a shame because i rather like them. I've tried abusing their position shifting with the Crusader's Holy Lance, but that's kinda all I can come up with. Other than that, Jester seems like a jack-of-all trades that doesn't really make an impact, and the Graverobber is a weaker Highwayman w/Blight.

To get the most out of the jester you have to place him in the back line when fights start and use his party buff, it gives a bunch of accuracy and I think either damage or dodge, then he can use his attack to jump to the front line on his next turn. I don't think he's any good in the ruins though, undead don't bleed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Hey, whoever said to burn books? Thanks, I just got an event from that which gave my Leper 100 loving stress. Immediately after camping, where I used half of my actions to get his stress down to 0.

Through relentless abuse of stress-relief combat abilities (Bard's Inspirational Tune and Leper's shield-icon ability) I was able to get it back down to zero before I left the dungeon, but I had to make one fight go 10 rounds and another go 8 to do it.

What I'm saying is: Don't burn books.

Edit: Afterwards, my Jester got the trait 'Hatred of Humanity'... which is apparently positive? I love this game.

No no no, don't burn the books. Burn the piles of parchments. Free disability removal, but they're quite rare.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Unwise_Cashew posted:

I don't know that, I've been reading the parchments for the maps and free scouting from them. Out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed that occasionally you can't find a trap to disarm despite it having been scouted on the map? I'm not sure whether to call it a bug or just another stress inducing aspect.

I've only ever gotten bad events from reading books and interacting with most things. Altars are an exception and will often give you stuff like a 20% damage buff, but piles of books or occult scrawlings I leave the gently caress alone.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

That's why blanket % increases are really bad and lazy design. If you're only going to have 5 level ups per skill, hand-craft them so they feel like (and are) upgrades. Making a player spend heirlooms to upgrade their trainer, then spend gold to upgrade their skills only for the upgrade to have no effect? That's lovely.

Yeah it doesn't really matter if a level 5 aoe heal does 8-12 at rank 5 if the rest of the game is scaled around that. The good heirlooms are the ones that give you flat dodge bonuses but some of the resist ones are decent too (because those percentages are flat). I would also like to see stuff like the +20% damage shrines do other things instead, like a smite bonus vs undead that always does +5 damage.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tollymain posted:

yeah honestly i don't see myself using the vestal's heals unless i've got people on death's door, and in that case 1 hp is probably not going to be functionally different from 3

The philosophy for those kind of heals is that you mitigate the damage over the course of the dungeon. Yes a 1-2 heal isn't going to do much right now, but if you use it every round you vastly increase the longevity of your party over the course of the whole dungeon, same way with the jester's stress reduction. The best vestal build right now is both heals, the stun and her smite attack because she adds so much over the course of the dungeon and can also stun certain enemies which gives control.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nathyrra posted:

Cross post from Steam thread, but doing it anyway. :smuggo:

For anyone interested in Darkest Dungeon, the twitch team Main Menu is streaming it now. For 100 hours, at least one of the casters will be streaming. They're also doing giveaways, and I just won a copy with instant beta access in HJTenchi's channel.

List of Main Menu team members: http://www.twitch.tv/team/mainmenu

CobaltStreak is literally Hitler. What the hell does he even say when he does his dumb catch phrase?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'll just leave this here.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Has anyone figured out what some of the weirder quirks do? There's one that gives people visions and one where they think they're possessed by a demon. Obsessed with killing is another weird one that doesn't seem to have any real benefit or drawback.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I *suspect* they influence which types of Afflictions you're likely to get.

I need to do some testing, but I hope they influence how people react to the various points of interest in the dungeons. Obsessed with knowledge sometimes means they will grab the pile of books without being prompted, but I wonder if it also affects the likely outcomes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Here's a question: for the camp skills that rely on a character being "Religious," what does that mean precisely? Is it class based or quirk based?

I think various traits count as that, or its based on class, I know the Helion is pagan and has a camp skill called reject the gods. Or it could be based on traits like god fearing or warrior of light.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

My favorite ruins loadout so far is 8 food + 4-8 for each firewood, 4 torches, 3 keys, 3 holy water,1 shovel 1 herb. Assuming i don't have bad luck with traps i generally end up having to destroy food and holy water to fit more loot before the dungeon ends.

It's a high investment but I approve. Bandages and antidotes are really good though and you should consider dropping 2 holy water to fit them in and save some cost. Holy water isn't used that often though I'll bring two if it's a medium.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Lepers also hit like freight trains, in my experience.Crusaders are a little more versatile though.

The leper is really strong but he's hamstrung by his accuracy. You really need the turn for him to wind up with his buff or two good +accuracy items to make him effective. There's also a camp action for him to get more accuracy which really helps to mitigate the "has to buff every fight" aspect of him. His biggest weakness is probably the lack of movement skills though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think I figured out the secret to the confessional booth. Sure a flask of holy water is worth like 50 stress reduction, but if you pass the roll you get a free quirk removed and I'm almost positive that it's based on the number of quirks you have. So the less quirks your character has the better the chance to be absolved of a sin and lose a quirk. It's possible character class influences it as well and crusader/vestal has a better roll.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I found an absolutely amazing ancestral trinket that gives 16% stress resitance and -12% deaths door resistance. Also the sniper ring is loving amazing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Al Borland posted:

Well it also says january is when I should get my key. Its february now.

Also early access for BACKERS. IT never said mass public.

What's available right now is half the game, though, so they haven't cheated you. That said I get the frustration but I went for the $20 tier specifically to get access to the game asap.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I restarted and I feel like I broke the game. It's week six and I have a great roster of characters and 25k in the bank. I'm sure I'll lose my best guys on the necromancer though :v:

Edit: So apparently you can change your characters skill set while inside a dungeon.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 3, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Don't worry about getting your rear end kicked guys, you'll pick it up. I'm coasting most of the time now because I learned proper crowd control and only high level long dungeons really seem challenging now (or when I deliberately tank my light levels for more loot). But the first few days are magical lessons in humility :3:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dackel posted:

Also if anyone wants to hang out I'm streaming here if you're one of those few that aren't playing yet.

Still new to the streaming thing though, so apologies in advance

I'm really happy to see the game hit peak hype on Twitch, sure it's just twitch flavor of the week but it'll really help get the game out there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was able to take out the Necromancer on my second save pretty easily, he was able to summon all his minions but the plague doctor kept the backline stunned while my bounty hunter kept him in the front rows. Then it was just a question of hitting and shooting him repeatedly with 25% crit chance highwayman.

I did notice that all the necromancers attacks also move him back one spot. Helps him disengage even when he's got a full set of minions so plan accordingly.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You can look on the character sheet and there's a little statistic that says like "Traps 50%". Higher is better.

Some of the calculations are weird and really hard to grasp. Stuff like stun resistance for example, most stun abilities have a 100% base stun chance, then you remove the stun resistance so for a skeletal warrior it's 100% -50% = 50% chance to stun. You can actually counter undead's "immunity" to bleed effects if you can get past the 125% bleed resistance.

With traps I have a feeling it works that by clicking the trap you trigger it, and it attacks your hero with a base chance, say 75% chance to hit. Then you subtract your trap resistance which for highwaymen is 40% I believe. Which would translate to 35% chance to hit, or 65% chance to disarm. It seems weirdly jury rigged onto existing mechanics.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Its kinda bullshit imo, you cannot plan around it and if you don't eat you get massive stress and damage.

My supplies are as follows: Short dungeon I bring 8 food (for two events), 6-8 torches and one of each of the other supplies.

For a medium dungeon I bring 12-14 torches, 20 food, two shovels, 3 bandages, 3 antidote and the rest is filler.

Always bring lots of food on mediums. Plan for three hunger events and a full ration.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is what I like to see :black101:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I haven't played in a while and the collector is new :stare: So is the Shambler but I managed to kill it, got an ancestral heirloom out of it, which was nice, but it euthanized the rest of that dungeon run.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Heroes losing random trinkets during gambling or other means is kind of annoying. From a design perspective I can't see how careful item micro-management that requires you to unload your heroes after every mission is a positive addition to the game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's also come up in game when he had a crisis. He sometimes yells "You have her face! How can you have her face!" so she's probably at least someone he knew.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Eulogistics posted:

I'm honestly scared of the darkest dungeon (the currently unreleased dungeon) if everyone has to be 6 in order to get in there. Doing any level 5 quests even for a team of level 6s can be extremely difficult when a dps enemy crits your tank for 3/4 of their hp in the first round of the first fight on a quest that's supposed to last 2 camps. A dungeon balanced around level 6s is gonna be pretty crazy.

Also, I'm pretty sure the new madman enemy is replacing the bone noble guy as my least favorite enemy in the game.

Personally I hope the Darkest Dungeon will have quests for every level of the game, because if it's just there as an endgame goal I think it'll be much less effective as a "holy poo poo" place. If instead every time you go there you have a specific (hard) objective to accomplish and you'll meet all sorts of crazy poo poo in there, the build up is much better. Bonus points if you can't retreat early so every mission there is do or die and it can grant unique traits and abilities.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

it literally made it come out a month faster.

Hasn't worked for That Which Sleeps :colbert:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

The thing about the Darkest Dungeon is, whatever was in there scared the Ancestor into suicide. The Ancestor, just as a reminder, is the guy who invited scholars of eternal life into his house only to murder them in cold blood, performed dread rites to bind demons to pig flesh and then threw the discharge into an empty room somewhere to germinate into the Inchoate Flesh and its counterparts.

I am expecting great things from this ones, is what I am saying.

Is the Darkest Dungeon inside that gate or is the gate inside the Darkest Dungeon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

When I hover over a monster in combat there's an exclamation mark next to their moves. What does that mean, that they're currently usable?

I think it just lists moves you've seen that monster type perform before.