Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

first world moral dilemmas:

Do I put this info into my Steam Guide or not/

I'd keep it to yourself for now, if only so that people don't start trumpeting it on reddit and get the devs to go change it before we can have some fun with it.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not really a Roguelike anyway - I don't think you can actually "lose" the game. It costs nothing to get more recruits from the stagecoach, and it refills after every run, win or lose, so even after a total wipe you'll have more fresh recruits ready for another go, and although it's probably a bad idea to go into a dungeon without buying supplies, it's not mandatory, so you don't need some minimum amount of gold to make another run, either. There's also always going to be at least one level 1 mission available so you can't get in a situation where you have a team but nothing they can do.

Well, its more like the individual missions are the roguelikes, and the overall game is just like, your unlocks. Like you said there's not really a way to fail the overall game, and there's not really a reason to start a new game either. You can instead just send out a B-team instead of your normal crew, but no reason to partition your forces really.

That said if you really hit rock bottom and have to start all the way over running low level crews, its pretty drat painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kaincypher posted:

I never heard of this game till last night, and now I want it more than anything. What time does it unlock on Steam? Alternately, is there another way I can buy access now? For I am an impatient man-child who needs his dungeon fix.

Early access begins tomorrow. The only way to be playing now if you didn't back is to invent a time machine.

I think you can survive for a day :) I've been waiting all loving year for this thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Norns posted:

Oh poo poo. This goes early access tomorrow? Is it near feature complete?

The game feels very complete but not all of the content is. Its extremely playable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Normal Adult Human posted:

What items effect what treasure?

Keys are for chests and cabinets but no strongboxes
Herbs effect tables, experiments, and food carts
Holy water works on ashes, shrines, confessionals, and altars
Torches burn parchment and books,
Shovels are for rubbles.

I still don't know what works with strongboxes or iron maidens (which seem to not only always be a negative effect but also do stress damage to claustrophobic people when you pass by)

These are a mindfuck because sometimes you can open it without the item anyways? So I usually try, but then ~TRAPPED~

I usually bring keys and shovels to everything. But then its always either too many or too few. :ohdear:

And sometimes even if you have the right item, it still fails!

This game :allears:

I can't even imagine what a ballbreaker The Darkest Dungeon is going to be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My favorite ruins loadout so far is 8 food + 4-8 for each firewood, 4 torches, 3 keys, 3 holy water,1 shovel 1 herb. Assuming i don't have bad luck with traps i generally end up having to destroy food and holy water to fit more loot before the dungeon ends.

That costs a lot though, so if you supply up that much you better be ready to go all the way.

On the other hand if you bought any less than that I'd be worried about not lasting to the end.

This game really does make you walk along the razor's edge.

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Camp on the third room and let your highwaymen clean their guns and you've won the dungeon.

Clean guns is really amazing, yeah.

My starter highwayman cleans his guns, scouts ahead, and then gets eye of the tiger and a blessing and he had a 30% baseline crit with ranged attacks. It's a serious consideration whether i want him to immediately end the encounter with grapeshot or let it take longer for extra stress reduction.

edit: that guy is dead now.

:lol:

:darksouls:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

My starter highwayman died to crits in the last tutorial fight and I haven't seen another one since, I'm about 8 weeks in.

Have you upgraded your caravan?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

I haven't tried it but are there zero consequences for abandoning besides a little stress? So nothing's stopping me from taking a group in, camping to get rid of excessstress, then walking out and taking a relatively small hit?

In addition to the stress you lose whatever supplies you purchased.

Nothing is stopping you from hiring some new adventurers, going into a dungeon with no supplies, abandoning and then booting all those adventurers out of your party, though, other than it being a bit of a pain.

The devs are supposedly looking into cleaning that up a bit. I'm not sure if that means making it more punishing or what.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ZeusJupitar posted:

They're probably going to have to make major changes if they want people to invest in their heroes and keep the tension up. Right now it seems like the only finite resource is the player's patience - you can potentially just through wave after wave of redshirts at the dungeons until they crack or you do.

The alternative would be to reduce the effects of stress, introduce a hiring/firing cost and maybe introduce an x-com style campaign health bar. Something like 'town stress' or 'heir stress' which creeps up when you fail a mission or face insolvency until 'you' the project manager automatically decide that the estate is not your problem.

Uh, what?

Redshirts are poo poo against anything that isn't a level 1 mission. Even some level 1 missions a fresh-new hero won't be able to complete.

To finish a dungeon, you're going to need to complete high level, high difficulty, long missions with multiple campfires. You are NOT completing those without ranked up, equipped, skilled up adventurers. You MUST invest in your heroes already, unless you just want to grind easy missions for gold forever? :confused:

The game keeps going forever because you could keep doing level 1 mission forever, but you won't get any further in the game until you do commit to some heroes. And then you're inherently invested in those heroes, and losing them means starting over.

You can start missions with a fresh crew and abandon them to pass time, which is cheesy. And we've discussed that and they may change that. But that doesn't mean that you can beat a dungeon with redshirts. No way dude.

ZeusJupitar posted:

I've just realised that the player character's family name is 'Darkest'. It's right there in the names; the Darkest Dungeon underneath the Darkest Estate. That's the family name you're trying to redeem.

Uh... :ssh: when you create a new game, the default save name is 'Darkest'. You can change it to anything. If you make your save name "Bob", then it'll say "Bob's Estate" when you visit home. That's just a placeholder dude.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 3, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I had an awesome moment where my team started to break in morale, but when my Crusader topped off on stress instead of becoming paranoid he exploded into Stalwart (I think it was), and then spent every round knighting his teammates "I dub thee... Warrior of Light!", boosting everyone's stress all over and saying metal as gently caress iceburns to the skeletons we were fighting.

Hahahaha :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beat the wizened hag without any losses! Holy crap that was tense. My team rolled up to her without even needing to rest (and I forgot to use the camp in the last room before the boss, and it wouldn't let me go back once I entered the hallway :doh:) but her thing still had me really worried that I was gonna lose somebody.

Now I've got some level 3 heroes who won't go on easy missions anymore. Oh boy.

I am loving the Occultist-Highwayman-Hellion-Hellion or Vestal-Highwayman-Hellion-Hellion combo. Hits HARD.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Something sort of druid-ish wouldn't be out of place, but I really think that a straightup wizard would not fit in such a low-fantasy type situation. But I hate that whole character archetype, so.

I personally want a blackmage straight up so I can have one turn abusive and give my party poo poo and have classic D&D shenanigans but in a dark realistic way.

But I can understand if that's not appropriate for their world style or whatever.

But maybe something like a hedge wizard that's like a druid / witch mix, where all his "magic" is pretty questionable and it all has a pretty high chance of complete failure. But sometimes he actually casts something.

Just a straight druid would be pretty cool too. We do have the houndmaster coming though which is gonna be the pet class.

Speaking of, having the Arbalest is going to be amazing. Obviously she's going to be a back-row sniper.

Merchant is a curveball. Who knows what that'll mean.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

There's also a mysterious like "Lord Class" or something, that might just be straight-up Wizard guy or something.

The 'lord class' is exclusive to backers who backed at the 'lord' level. Which isn't me, and definitely isn't anybody who didn't back it.

Jade Star posted:

Dont have this yet, but watched some gameplay previews. How long are the missions? The two videos I watched of the devs playing it had dungeons of 5 rooms, not counting the start room. So it looked like really, really short missions. Though brutal. So longer than that didn't seem possible with out people being dead/stressed or higher level.

The starting quests are all short. They get higher level and longer as you go. It takes a long time to build up.

GaistHeidegger posted:

$20 - apparently both early access and on full release.

Edit: I am a little bummed that the higher tier 'exclusive class' has been walked back to a 'variant' and probably would've backed for half as much if that'd been clear during the Kickstarter. Not that I don't really dig the game but the exclusive class thing was the carrot on the stick that got me to go in for a lot more than the sticker price. Ahh well.

On the bright side now the rest of us don't have to feel like we're super missing out, but yeah that's kinda bullshit.

IMO they should make another class and give it to the 'lord' tier free, and make it DLC for everybody else. I'd happily chip in another $5-10 for more classes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 3, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrManiac posted:

The one lord backer on kickstarter just gets to design a class that every body gets (Which is why the picture in the op just has ?) so we could very well get a wizard dude. The only ks exclusive is a variant on the merchant.

Oh, I stand corrected. That's cool.

Lotish posted:

If the merchant has an ability to use party gold to bribe enemies into leaving you alone he'll be on any number of my teams.

I'm also hoping he has some way to shower one of your heroes with money to make them feel better. :homebrew:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nathyrra posted:

:siren: Game is out, yo. :siren:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hm, doesn't help me, I wanna play it on the PS4. Guess I'll just wait for the proper release.

PS4 won't be out for awhile after release even, probably. Or maybe at pc release. Which should be Q2 2015.

vandalism posted:

I just lost all my dudes in the first dungeon. Should I restart or whatever and try again or retreat and get the next batch of nerds from the cart and sacrifice them too?

Don't worry about going through the meat grinder with fresh recruits. There's ALWAYS more, and they're literally free. That said, try to salvage some kind of resources from your runs, so don't be afraid to retreat in the beginning if you're not going to make it. Retreating and getting some gold is better than dying completely.

Waffle! posted:

Twice now I've had the game crash on me when I click on the wagon to hire new recruits. Right now all I can do is abandon missions with my lowbies before they get wiped.

There's a known bug with the wagon. Each time you hire somebody, close the wagon and open it back up. It'll prevent crashes. Only hire one at a time.

It may have been patched though?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm really happy to see the game hit peak hype on Twitch, sure it's just twitch flavor of the week but it'll really help get the game out there.

I was just watching a stream, and somebody said in chat "well gently caress brb I'm buying the game"

:)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love my Leper but sometimes he really fucks me over. Too many misses and he's dead weight, and if you get surprised and he's in the back row you're hosed.

Fat_Cow posted:

So what's with the random desktop crashes? Should I just expect it because it is early access?

Yeah. There's a few bugs. They fixed a couple but it seems they created a couple more.

On the bright side they worked all throughout the weekend pushing patches, and they're no doubt going to do so all week. They're very active in listening to people and fixing things. So hopefully whatever is causing you a problem should be fixed shortly.

Mushrooman posted:

Are trinkets generated Diablo style, or are they fixed items? I have two highwayman trinkets that are just terrible, they give ++ to stun/bleed/blight skills and - stun/bleed/blight resist, but since the highwayman only has a bleed skill it's just a bleed bonus with a ton of negatives attached. It seems like that would be an odd choice to put in the game on purpose, but I have two identical trinkets like that.

Edit: I just looked at it again and it's worse than I thought. +20 to stun/blight skills, -16 to stun and -12 to blight resist. It's called the "Cursed Buckle"

I think the plan is for most trinkets to be a tradeoff, some bonus here and some negative here. Used strategically they can be good, but yeah, some seem just bad. They might need a pass to buff them or something.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hey, so what does "Ancestral" actually do on trinkets? My guess was that if the person wearing it died, you'd still get to keep it. Is that it?

Hrm.

Those of you who run with Occultist as primary/only healer, how do you deal with the whole Death's Door problem? It seems like the Occultist just can't save people from blight/bleed impending doom the way the Vestal can.

Its rough because if he gives them a bleed, that can put you right back on death's door. Ideally with his heals going up to like 12 or higher you just don't let anybody get that far down.

Or you use Hellions / Plague Doctors / others that can heal bleed off themselves. Or you bring bandages.

Triggsy posted:

Everyone is saying Grave Robbers are bad, but this game has given me so many of them and so little else that I've been running them in my third spot for a lot of runs, and they honestly don't seem all that bad. They can dodge a lot, can reach just about every enemy position, and toss out crits all the time. I guess the main problem is they don't have a ton of utility. It could just be because I've been given tons of them, crusaders, and lepers, so I just haven't had much else to run in my third position. I just was given my first bounty hunter so maybe he'll prove to be much better.

They're not horrible, but they just don't seem to hit as hard as a Bounty Hunter or a Highwayman in the third slot would. The upside though is they have very good mobility, so they can roll with being surprised and moved out of order, and they combo well with other characters you want to be swapping around during combat. I think they're just one of the harder classes to use effectively often.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dackel posted:

Just lost a dude at the Hag, and in my panic I retreated with another one still in the cauldron. Welp... 2 more to the graveyard

I feel your pain, I lost my best Crusader to retreating from the Hag while he was still in the pot :ohdear:

Went back a little later and rekt her poo poo though, avenged him good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Magitek posted:

Everyone posting seems to have their Jesters as back-row minstrel buff support, but I've had very good results using mine as a front-line brawler. Slice Off and Harvest do excellent damage against anything vulnerable to bleeds, and Dirk Stab is perfect for leapfrogging a Crusader and setting up repeated Holy Lances. With the Jester's high natural dodge rate i've found his survivability is at least as great as the Crusader's, and his high crit ends up reducing group stress quite a bit. Kinda surprising that watching a clown hack people apart as he cackles like The Joker would actually calm my party down, but there you are.

My A-Team starts each fight with Jester in the front, typically opening with Slice Off on whatever squishy victim is in the third space. Crusader is right behind him, following up with a Holy Lance to either finish off the wounded target or skewer the one behind him. Bounty Hunter is versatile but ends up spamming Flashbang most of the time to stun+shuffle, and Vestal in the back either uses her stun or casts Judgement to finish off anything that's teetering on the brink. Once most of the enemies are dead, it's time to stunlock the last fool for a round or three while the Vestal heals up any damage that was sustained.

I've equipped the three relevant party members with trinkets that improve their chance for stuns to succeed, and they seem to have made a big difference. My stuns are landing pretty consistently on enemies that list a 70% or higher chance to resist. The Necromancer never got a chance to act -- just sucker punched him on the first round with Stunning Blow and steadily clubbed until he popped like a piņata.

Things are going shockingly well so far in the midgame, especially compared to the early expeditions. I typically end missions with sub-10 accumulated stress and haven't had anyone drop below half health in ages. We'll see how well my luck holds once I start tackling Red-level missions.

Agreed to all of this, except somehow you left off the best reason for having a Jester in your front line! :cheeky:

SOLO! The solo ability can be stupid good. You start the battle with Jester in front, and have him play solo once or twice, which debuffs the enemy team like crazy. Then you do a slice off, and then you have your crusaders start holy lancing like crazy. When the Jester is shuffled to the back, have him play stress reduction songs.

Its pretty effective.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Magitek posted:

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but my attempts at using Solo haven't been too effective. It has a decent chance to miss/be dodged, the debuff has an even higher chance to be resisted, and -10 Acc is probably only going to make the difference if they're attacking a target that already has a low chance to be struck (e.g. the Jester). Eliminating a target one round faster usually pays bigger dividends more consistently, in my experience.

Fair enough, I've been running a blitz Hellion / Hellion strategy myself for the most part so I haven't really tested it a lot. I only did the Jester / Crusader / Crusader thing a couple times but it seemed to work out well then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Which bad traits are something that needs to be removed asap? I don't really care too much about some really specific ones or - dodge on a guy that has 0 base dodge.

Mutually exclusive traits are the worst. Like if he has 'hero of the light' and some other trait I can't remember right now that makes you worse in high-light conditions, or things like the trait that says they will only drink in town combined with the trait that says they will only use the brothel. Result is that they can't use either, until you get one or the other gone.

It'd be nice if they gave you 2 exclusive options instead of making it so nothing works. Like in that scenario it'd be cool if you could pick from the bar or the brothel, instead of neither.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

How does everyone treat newbie heroes with 100 stress but positive traits? I have a level 0 Hellion who has 3 good quirks. She went on a failed run though and ended up with 100 stress. Let her go or invest some money?

Ideally you should be focusing on upgrading one of the stress relievers all the way; I prefer the Bar first. Once you've done so getting rid of 100 stress isn't so expensive, so its easier to justify.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Time_pants posted:

So every time I beat a dungeon it looks like the difficulty level increases. Is it possible to get to a point where I can no longer have a reasonable chance at winning if I wipe and my new recruits are too weak to enter even the first dungeon?

As you level through the dungeon you unlock the later and harder and higher level parts of it, but you continue to have the low-level missions available. You just have more quests available overall.

Time_pants posted:

Does that mean "when the game is finished" or "as of right now"?

I've always had one. I'm not done with the game so far but it hasn't been an issue.

HogX posted:

welp, starting dungeon wiped out two teams. Gonna stop playing this for a while, it's completely loving unfair.

Its very very likely that you're ignoring game mechanics that you can't ignore.

Also don't be afraid to retreat from your first few quests, nothing is guaranteed in this game. If you get some treasure before you withdraw you can still come out net very positive.

Git gud scrub.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

For trinkets, do you always go for +dmg etc?

Uh, no? There's no one size fits all strategy for trinkets. Different classes play better with different things. I give my vestal a +defense -accuracy trinket because she mostly just heals. I give my highwayman a -hp +crit +dodge trinket because he can dodge like a madman.

We were just discussing recently how some trinkets seem pretty bad, and how we're not sure if negative traits are applied if you're at 0 for a certain stat. It seems like the way to game things, I gave a trinket with -dodge to my leper who has like no dodge anyways. But maybe that secretly makes it go negative?

Seriously though everybody please go read Hieronymous Alloy's guide before posting. Lots of the same questions getting repeated page after page.

Time_pants posted:

Awesome. Then I won't worry about the dungeon outleveling me. Thanks for the prompt replies!

Yeah I wouldn't worry. Failing and Dying a lot are a part of the game, so I don't think it really rushes you. If anything some of the better players are complaining there isn't more pressure to level up and push deeper into the dungeons, you can kinda farm the low level dungeons if you want. As heroes level up they'll refuse to go on missions that are too far below them, but nothing stops you from hiring new ones. New heroes are always FREE, so most of us end up hiring and ditching some low level heroes to make some spare cash or to pass time so our A-team can recover in town.

The game is definitely a meat-grinder for adventurers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

How does scouting work? It's a flat chance to happen in every room, or can I trigger it somehow?

I think your adventurers have a scouting chance on their character sheet, but I can't remember for sure.

Its a chance to occur on each room, and you can also trigger it sometimes by finding a map (inside a bookshelf usually)

Higher light level gives a bonus to scouting, I believe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I just had two members of my main party all up and wander out of town while removing stress. My Highwayman was at the brothel and his debauchery reached new heights, whereabouts unknown. My Vestal got drunk and blacked out, and wandered out of town. At the same time, my main Hellion lost her trinkets somehow (it just says [<str_(null_remove_trinket_story>]).

The dungeon's not too scary anymore but this town is too much for me :mad:

Yeah I paid like 9000 for a trinket and my Vestal lost it like on week later. Ugggh. Really hits you below the belt.

The <str_(null_remove_trinket_story> is just a missing text string, it would say something like "got robbed and lost her ______" or "ended up pawning _____ for more gambling money" or something.

Early Access means its not completely refined. On the bright side, the only place I've seen missing strings is because of that; some random town event where you lose a trinket.

In fact you could probably dig into the JSON and fix that yourself...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

TotalBiscuit is now streaming the game.

Holy poo poo he is a blind idiot.

TB is an insufferable shithead.

Lasher posted:

So I read this thread front to back, hear folks talking about good synergies and tactics and give it a go myself. Stuff like having the Jester buff the party and the Occultist marking/Merc scalping thing. Yeah I'm back at that rut again where everyone I've sent out has died and the more levelled party members are wayyyy too insane to send out but I can barely get enough money together to de-stress them.

If you've really read this thread front to back, you've heard us talking at least 10x about how you can hire adventurers for absolutely FREE, send them out on missions, abandon the missions after awhile, then fire everybody and hire an entire new team. Repeating this costs you absolutely nothing, so its pure profit. It is a bit time consuming and grindy, but its not that bad. And you'll learn the game a bit better while having no consequences to things you try out, since you're probably ditching these heroes anyways. If you happen to get through a mission on accident, hey, maybe you keep those heroes. Or maybe you fire them anyways! :black101:

Into the meat grinder you go.

Do that like even once or twice and you should be able to afford to heal the stress on your A-team. And as you go on, you'll be able to upgrade a building so stress is cheaper to deal with. You should be focusing on getting the bar maxed out before you upgrade ANYTHING else that requires those materials. Upgrade blacksmith and bar and stagecoach above everything else IMO.

And you never really need to restart as a result. Just keep going with your current save, building up your town. The more upgraded your town is, the easier things should be, even if you lose all your heroes and have to hire entirely new ones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lasher posted:

Guess I have just been horribly unlucky. Steamrolled that dungeon there with no problems.

Yeah, that's how it goes sometimes. You have to kinda accept that these are risky prospects and you're sending some of these people to their deaths. It works with the atmosphere really well though.

Once you get a few wins in it'll all start getting easier, partially because you have more money and resources, but partially because you're just getting a feel for the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

scaterry posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to automatically change the new adventurer's names to a list of friends or steam friends, ala XCOM EU?

I don't think you can right now.

The game data is all a bunch of JSON files so you could very easily change the default list if you wanted.

New trollpinion: leper is the worst class.

Argument:

1) all classes are good, it's only relatively bad.

2) It can't hit the back rows.

3) It can't reposition itself without losing an action.

4) it's highly dependent on support classes for accuracy buffs.

5) it has no secondary utility role. It can't heal like the crusader or stun like the hellion.

Obviously I'm trolling a little here but honestly it does seem like the leper needs a little more versatility.

6) it does have a two target aoe but compare with grapeshot or breakthrough; again, cant hit the back rows.

Leper is good, even accepting things like 2.

However 3 is totally killer. If you get surprised, he's pretty hosed, unless the rest of your team has tons of mobility to make up for it.

Leper really needs some kind of a move action. Or the basic move action needs to let you move 2 spaces at once.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I've got a mechanics problem. I finished the tutorial but my Crusader survived with 1 HP. Now he's whining like a baby about having to go back out and I'm worried if I bring him along he's gonna gently caress everything up. I can't see any way to just leave him in town though. Do I have to bring 4 for the first dungeon and just hope for the best?

Adventurers all full-heal between adventures. So he'll be back up to full health. The only concern then is his stress. Thing is he'd bitch about going back out regardless of his stress, because poo poo is loving scary. Is he really maxed out on stress, or is it just a little? If its the later, don't even worry about it.

If its the former, that sucks, but you may have to send him out anyways and its not the end of the world. You have to bring 4 people with you to run a dungeon. Try to hire another one (they're free) but if you can't then good luck.

Also read my guide.

If you really don't want spoilers then don't ask goons. Go in dark and figure it out yourself!

Otherwise go ahead and read the guide rather than asking goons again and again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Ha. The Leper just kills the first two enemies and then kills the last two. He doesn't need to waste a turn with a damage boost because his damage is insane by default. Lepers are incredible and they are incredibly simple to build for too since they don't have to worry about any resistance bullshit when attacking. It's just a simple to-hit roll and then it's giant red numbers all the way to the end of the dungeon.

Yeah that's the thing, when the leper misses it sucks but once you upgrade his accuracy hit hits like a loving truck.

Then again my Hellions are putting out absolutely absurd damage numbers while managing to hit every one of their attacks, having AOE options, and also the ability to stun.

Hellion party best party.

You know what? gently caress it. I'm gonna try rolling a party of 4 Hellions. :black101:

MotU posted:

Also I feel bad for him having leprosy so I send him only to the Brothel to relieve stress so he can at least feel some sort of affection, if only fleeting

Sympathy for your leper but no sympathy for the poor whores you've just given leprosy to?! :stonk:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Note the whores do not kick you out for syphilis.

Haha yeah, I assumed that Syphilis would be the "cannot use the brothel in town" trait. Nope!

Money's hard to come by :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

If it makes you feel better, it's really hard to contract leprosy.

I just checked this and you're right. That's weird then that lepers are sent off to leper colonies if its not contagious, but I guess that has more to do with the social stigma.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Not being able to heal outside of combat is odd though. Makes me feel like the optimal way to play is to prolong combat against one enemy while a priest heals, which seems scummy.

It feels a little bad, yeah, but it is how the game is balanced and intended to be played.

That said, people have talked in this thread before of stalling combat to heal, and that is an effective tactic. And this isn't the first RPG ever that worked that way.

Thing is, if I was the game developer and I wanted to do something to prevent that as an exploit, I'd add a mechanic where if you stall without doing damage to the opponent for too many turns, more enemies show up. And that'd be pretty brutal. So I'm more okay with it as-is, just don't exploit it if you don't like that.

Taking no healer at all is a totally viable tactic, so its not like its necessary.

Darkn1o posted:

As a side note, can someone check the JSON files to see if characters can have more than 7 positive quirks or if they start getting replaced? I don't think my characters have more than 7 or they were already replaced. I don't want my characters to lose their +accuracy quirks.

I can try to investigate this after work, but its reverse engineering however you go about it. That kind of value could be hard-coded somewhere, or it could be hidden in a file in a folder in a folder in a folder that doesn't seem like it'd be related to character quirk values or something. Still, worth a shot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

Maybe give diminishing returns to stuns.

Actually yeah, that's smarter. Rather than combating delayed-healing itself, just combat the ability to stall indefinitely in the first place.

And diminishing returns on status effects are pretty common in RPGs (for this very reason)

That does make an already difficulty game harder, though, with the side-effect of making you unable to stunlock one enemy during a big fight, which feels fair to me (if not resisted).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I understand why I can't send level 3+ characters in to level 1 quests, but that restriction should be lifted for boss quests! :(

Yeah, for bosses it'd be nice if you could challenge them with a higher level party, and just have the boss mission difficulty bumped up to match the party.

Some bosses are probably specifically balanced for that level of heroes, though.

ZeusJupitar posted:

Question for those who've got that far - are the bosses distinct or are they palette swaps/buffed versions of each other? I was a bit dubious when I saw 'Apprentice Necromancer - Necromancer - Master Necromancer'.

There's plenty of bosses that have nothing to do with necromancers, so they're not all palette swaps.

I don't know if the later ones are palette swaps of the earlier ones, though. Haven't fought the necromancer proper yet. I bet he's different even if he uses the same sprite.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

This game really fatigues me, I can only play for so long before I feel exhausted from being on edge all the time.

Yeah kinda reminds me of Silent Hill 2. Not scary like SH2, but it does fatigue you from being super loving tense for every minute of gameplay, so you have to play in bursts.

The Crooked Warden posted:

gently caress the hag. gently caress the hag forever.

There goes my A Team.

Yeah she's really loving frustrating.

I'm so sorry :smith:

It does feel really loving good to kill her though :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just downloaded a 1.4MB patch. Hopefully/likely a bugfix.

VoLaTiLe posted:

So my best Battlemage priest healer girl decided to go on a quest of enlightenment after praying in the Chapel.

Problem is she's now disappeared from my roster.

Please don't tell me shes gone forever was my most legendary character ?!

Does anyone know if this is a thing :negative:

Welcome to Darkest Dungeon :)

Don't worry