Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zaphod42 posted:

I have yet to see a houndmaster or a arbalest in game, anybody else seen those? Probably not done yet.

Also it occurs to me that we don't have any standard wizard class. That's kinda lame. I'd love to have a black mage that's sadistic and yelling at all my other party members for how poo poo they are. :haw:
Not having a standard "I cast fireball" wizard type is a very very good thing, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Firstborn posted:

There's a couple of risky campfire actions that do a great thing but have a chance to backfire, or do a great thing to themselves but gently caress up everyone else. Like the Leper taking off his mask to relieve stress freaks everybody else right the gently caress out. Or when the Hellion decides to make fun of Not-Jesus for the evening to wind down and your other dudes get all pissed off.

Also, the Man-At-Arms class looks like the concept art for "War Hero". He might have some kind of inspiring buff (or Commissar-like beating) or something.

I feel like a straight Wizard and maybe like a Druid type control class is missing to get the full D&D stock characters list going.
Something sort of druid-ish wouldn't be out of place, but I really think that a straightup wizard would not fit in such a low-fantasy type situation. But I hate that whole character archetype, so.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ugh, game keeps crashing my computer. Can't get through a dungeon without a crash right now. Seems to happen mostly at the start of fights.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

S.J. posted:

Maybe give diminishing returns to stuns.
Or heals. Maybe track how much damage you take in a fight and always let you heal at least that much so healing repeatedly in fights that are legitimately long works, but healing falloff would be good in my opinion.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
...I had a game crash and I'm pretty sure all my adventurers just went down to level 0, 0 stress, no trinkets... and my starting crusader doesn't have kleptomania anymore? What on earth is happening.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh, and also:

What fun!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's really weird because it seems like my roster is full of all the same characters as before... they've just been booted down to level 0 and seemingly randomized. They all have different quirks from before and most of them have different skills. Everything's borked

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fat Samurai posted:

Which is exactly why stalling for 20+ turns is pointless and not mechanically encouraged, which is the argument you're making.
But they're talking about stalling versus a single enemy, which isn't really dangerous.

basically this-

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes you can. A Bone Arbalist/Bandit Fusilier in the third/fourth enemy rank is dangerous as all gently caress, but alone and in the first rank is trivial and really just a speed bump.

tl,dr: play tactically you dumb dumbs

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: As far as the people complaining about playing optimally and bitching about characters potentially dying anyways: Think of the game like Classic difficulty XCom ironman. Your role is to minimize risk and try to get your guys through as safely as possible.
Their whole point is that sometimes cheesing vs. a single enemy can be the best way to do that.

I think they're overstating how useful that is but you're kinda missing the point if you're telling them that they should be trying to get their guys out safely as an argument against doing that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think you're all exaggerating the potential harm of non-chest environment objects, I pretty much always click on everything and the downsides are mostly quite minor while you can still get great stuff like confession booths removing bad quirks, and just more loot on average from cabinets and stuff like that(which can only do minor damage to you if it goes wrong).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wish the plague doctor had something like strong moves that only work on blighted/bleeding enemies.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheBlandName posted:

That's someone you found on the official or steam forums, right? In any case, I'm trying to think if that's even technically possible (for the kind of player who's broken after a 72 hour break). And the answer I'm coming up with is no. 9 damage to everyone twice from a pair of fusiliers, 9 more damage to everyone from a bloodletter using rain of blows. That could certainly insta-gib some of the squishiest classes if the bleed caused a deathblow. But a crusader at full health would survive. A leper at full health would survive. A hellion would probably survive. So I'm left to conclude that the tale is fictional, the player was at the very most beginning stages of the game where a wipe doesn't matter, or they did make a mistake in party composition but are unwilling to acknowledge it (which is a legitimate criticism of the game, but not an objective one).
Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't really understand how that could have happened. I can see taking a fuckload of damage, but completely wiping?
It was a post that came from the guy who's bad enough that he lost to the first dungeon over and over again, restarting his game every time his roster filled up with stressed-out newbies because he couldn't even find the dismiss button, so I wouldn't be shocked if there's a mistake been made here

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Unlucky7 posted:

Is this worth early access at this point? I am kinda interested.
Probably yes, but you might get unlucky and be one of the people who crashes constantly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Hellion doesn't do "downsides".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

paranoid randroid posted:

At higher skill levels, noxious blast can do 7-10 on the attack and accrue 3-4 dmg per turn after. Stack them high and you can rack up an impressive amount of damage per turn. Incision has a fairly sick crit rate and inflicts decent bleed. She's not bad, it's just that all the other damage dealers and support characters are better at their roles than her.
'Bad' is always relative. She may not be worthless, but if all the other damage dealers and support characters are better than her then yes, she is bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nuebot posted:

Okay, camping is probably the dumbest part of this game.

Here's a way to heal in the middle of a dungeon!

Oh by the way you get surprised after it so all that healing and stress relief is pointless.

I would have literally been able to beat the hag if I hadn't rested just to squeeze some healing out of it, but then the surprise attack after it drove my healer insane and then she kept moving around and screwing up my ability to actually hit the hag.
I dunno, I feel like the camping is almost always worth it in terms of HP/stress/buffs, and that's not even counting that the vestal(which are in almost everyone's party composition?) has a camp ability specifically to prevent surprise attacks. I think there are others, too, but I haven't used them because I always have a vestal.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Chocobo posted:

This is a pretty fun game. I think I'm going to use that "take dudes straight off the wagon and send them unprovisioned into the dungeon to make cash" tactic that you guys are talking about.
It'd be rad if there was a "Reputation" stat or something that would get worse as you lose more and more people, so if you kept sacrificing newbies over and over there would be repercussions in terms of what heros/goods were available to you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah, the dialogues when a character breaks down is generally good. Nothing beats the crusader starting to babble about how it's all his dad's fault and how the monsters should stop attacking the guy behind him because "he is just a child!".
You do get repeats after a bit though. It can be pretty annoying when you've got a couple different people speaking basically every turn saying things you've already seen and you can't do anything but wait.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's not the same as having a loss condition, and outside of the individual missions it is not.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jade Star posted:

Hahaha no. Just no. Wow. Though I mean, it is funny watching everyone compare any strategy game that has come out in the last few years with X-Com. As Hard as I am for X-Com, and I am, see my LP, this is not more like X-Com than anything else.
It's more like X-Com than a roguelike.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

THE BAR posted:

"Darkest Dungeon is a challenging gothic ROGUELIKE turn-based RPG."

Said by the creators themselves on their Steam store page.
Ok?
Rogue Legacy was also marketed that way and it's one of the furthest possible games from a roguelike. Calling something X thing does not make it X thing automatically.

The permanent loss of individual recruits instead of permanent saves makes it far more X-Com in the sense of progression/player investment loss as punishment than it makes it roguelike.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 11, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The concept of permadeath applied to individual characters, with an immortal player overseer type character, even in the context of a fantasy-flavored game, has far more to do with X-Com than Roguelikes.

In a roguelike, 'permadeath' means you lose all progress towards winning. It is a full-on loss condition.

In this game, it means you lose a small portion of your investment towards winning, even with a party wipe. That is much, much closer to X-Com. The time investment and consequential degree of punishment for losing a fight is far different(aka far more lenient).

The random generation is the only other 'roguelike' thing, but there are no randomly generated mystery consumables, no randomly generated equipment or trinkets, and the dungeon generation is very simple. The level of randomization is, again, quite a bit closer to X-Com's randomized character stats and level/enemy layouts than a roguelike.

THE BAR posted:

I've never liked labeling like that, and I see their use of "roguelike" as more of a buzzword than anything, really.
It 100% is(like Rogue Legacy).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 11, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rascyc posted:

I agree it's nothing like a traditional western roguelike since you cannot game over at all.
So it's nothing like a roguelike.

Rascyc posted:

Roguelike discussions are weird, I don't know why people get caught up in them other than being an expert in classification.
Often because of nerd tribalism, but more recently because the label of "roguelike" has become a legit strong thing in marketing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Duggler posted:

There are cave markings where the first men argued over roguelikes, and nothing has changed.

Good luck to anybody trying to argue either way! I'm sure we will finally nail it down
It's actually really easy to nail down. A roguelike is a game which is like the game Rogue. If you cannot point at a game, then point at the game Rogue and say "these are similar", it's not a roguelike.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well. I stopped playing this game a couple months back or so because it crashed my computer every 10 minutes.

Glad to see nothing's changed <:mad:>

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reynauld is a lucky fucker, but his grammar needs a little work

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Marking is still worth it even without additional effects if the enemy is beefy enough that it would take several attacks to go down normally.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So what's happened to this game since august

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Normal Adult Human posted:

literally every single one of them needed to be explained. degenerates thought that the highwayman raided the wagon to steal the baby
lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Afraid of Audio posted:

that's uh basically all i could ask for
Yeah being able to recruit higher level heros later on is, like, super super good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I assume that you'll get back ones you lost in earlier patches via whatever that's talking about?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They are if you like those classes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://clips.twitch.tv/AnnoyingWiseTitanMau5

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Novum posted:

Arbalest, dogman, bounty hunter, someone else
grave robber's thrown dagger is better against marked targets as well

arbalest/grave robber/houndmaster/bounty hunter is named "firing squad" which makes sense

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Node posted:

I tried a party almost like that, and it was annoying because the grave robber had the highest speed and she has no way of marking anything herself, so the first turn is sorta wasted on the marking concept.
You can always give her something which slows her down. (Or someone else something which speeds them up.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

good dog!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I did the cannon boss and a shambler and my party is still in such good shape, let's do another one

dead in 2 rounds :prepop:

houndmaster/bounty hunter/arbalest is... good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ramadu posted:

any decent streamers for this since the dlc is out? i used to watch matt oblivium cause he was really good at it but hes doing some weird elder scrolls hearthstone game cause its too hip right now to stream darkest dungeon and he wouldnt get new viewers i guess lmao streamers are weird
moonmoon's been streaming it after overwatch sessions

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/25572998912-offset-14367.415-33.916666666666664.mp4#t=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think a challenge run with the following rules would be fun, to try and see what you can do with what you are given:
1. You have to use the skills your heros start with. You can upgrade them, but you cannot purchase new ones.
2. You can't dismiss heros(to prevent just rerolling for ones who happen to have the right set of skils).