Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I agree, remove mission-abandoning and also give all enemies Death's Door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

4 Arbalests should be Not So Funny Now Is It, Skeletons

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Blacksmith works harder due to having oil paintings all over the shop

Also: some trinkets have effects based on what rank you're in. Is the leftmost rank (back rank) rank 1, or rank 4?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell yeah bunch of spiders just death's-doored Reynauld, the occultist popped off a really handy 0-heal, then a second spider pierced right through a 90% deathblow resistance

Dismas will be so upset :saddowns:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Alright guys, time for a Skirmish mission.

oh ok

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

The change in the narrator's voice is distracting (and not for the better). :(

really dig the narrator's foray into Command and Conquer voice acting with his

destroy

Them

ALL

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

limited posted:

It's a been a while since I booted this up, but is there anywhere that explains the turn / speed mechanics?

Basically, ignore your speed. Ignore anything to do with your speed. The enemy will always go first when you don't want them to, no matter how much faster your guys are supposed to be. To see this in action, visit the Cove.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bloodly posted:

Most of his new quotes from the ones I've heard are 'nastier' than his old ones. It's the only word that fits. More vicious, more destructive, darker than before. Maybe it's deliberate, maybe not.

Yeah, they're a bit more on-the-nose. Like, even the previous "violence is happening" lines like MORTALITY CLARIFIED IN A SINGLE STRIKE more sort of allude to what's going on, rather than explicitly revel in it.

I don't really mind, though, it just means the narrator as a whole has changed character. It'd be interesting to have it where the more bloodthirsty narration only comes out at higher dungeon levels or darker light levels, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah, that sucks. You should probably stop playing it if you're not enjoying it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aw, no. oh poo poo. one level 2 guy in a full roster. aw, hell.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Snow Job posted:

Hit chance is capped at 90%

what

why

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Take one step outside the starting room, and...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fleve posted:

Did you already get the shuffle on that one? Usually my 100 light surprise shuffles feel like they end with my healer up front and my melee at the rear end-end, but I'm probably just imagining Murphy's law. Getting a 'surprise' from a group that furthermore contains those tentacle-pull guys is the worst, nobody is in position and neither will they. I should know, they ended up killing the only jester I've seen in weeks.

Yeah, I was too slow with the print-screen key. The spiders only swapped my crusader and highwayman around.

I was about to leave without any shovels until I sold some food back, as well, as it was only a Short dive.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

quote:

18123 1 0.000 killed by a water elemental called oh for fucks sake not again die you fucker

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Snow Job posted:

Bleh, don't like the sound of this. They avoided putting in wizards and druids, but an overtly evil/monstrous class honestly sounds like a much bigger breach of the setting. Gotta do what the idiot who donated $5,000 says I guess!

Do we know anything about the class other than the name, or are you simply vaulting to your own conclusions and getting upset at them

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Abomination is a child molester. He's a really skilled solider, but he's also a child molester. Hence the name.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hooman posted:

I was trying to think of other thematically fitting classes and what I could come up with was like a Natural Philosopher/Mad Scientist along the lines of Nikola Tesla and a Battlefield Medic/Sawbones.

Steampunk Dungeon

I think a poacher could be a good character. Not sure what niche they'd fill though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the swine king

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"You merely scrabbled around in the dark because you inexplicably get better treasure if you don't have torches. I was born in it, molded by it."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

One of the post-mission narrator barks ends in something like "but I was already dead... and the letter was on its way..."

I mean, not that this is counter to what you're suggesting - I just don't think he's still in the mansion and physically unchanged, if you get my drift.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the caretaker is the Ancestor

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

houndmaster... no...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aas Bandit posted:

I got tired of trying to remember specific curio combos ("Wait, did I need the antivenom for the tree, or the holy water...?"), and wasn't really enjoying that aspect of the game, so made myself a quick cheat sheet based on wiki info.

I know for a fact that some of the information on the wiki is at least partly wrong or out of date (e.g. you can sometimes get treasure along with a spare torch--it's not always *just* a torch), but this seemed a lot better than nothing.

In my experience all of the wiki interactions are correct, although I've not done all the obviously harmful ones. What do you get when using Holy Water on the occult scrawlings?

I think this list doesn't take into account the bonus loot for low light levels though, which is where you might be getting your "loot in a torch sconce" scenario from. I've found Very Rare trinkets jammed in there before, which is a bit odd.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol if you use jesters in any way, at all, ever

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do you mean the first dungeon as in "stagecoach has crashed", or the first time after you go to the hamlet?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you're either doing combat badly, you're forgetting to keep your light level at Radiant, or you're just being unlucky. two of these can be fixed!

it is generally better to remove enemy turns than spend your own on healing; whether this is by stunning or killing depends on the circumstances of any given round.

as for your light, you want about a torch per room plus a couple spare, so that's 8 for a small dungeon. i remember getting wrecked by stupidly accurate bandits until i realised that the thing in the top centre of the screen needed attention.

e: testing this, i have just realised the guaranteed Vestal in the first stagecoach batch is not guaranteed to have Dazzling Light, which sucks

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can do that once your guys have some skills, armour, trinkets, or indeed literally anything at all outside of being freshfaced scrubs straight off the stagecoach. low light equals more treasure but also more danger.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The highwaymen always leave town with filthy, filthy guns

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

patch notes

specifically:

quote:

Experiment with D8 initiative instead of D10

lmao jesus christ

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

-20 will absolutely guarantee the matchman goes last even if he rolls 10 and the least-speedy-possible character rolls 1

my point was that d10 was remarkably high and it's taken this long to drop it. it's a good change, i think!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yaaaay

also i thought you couldn't retreat from the shambler before? i ragequit* my previous run because of that

*decided to wait for the full release to start again, so it would be fresh and new

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell yeah, make your Abomination go Courageous

everyone gets stressed out by him turning into a wolf, only to have that stress healed by his inspiring howls

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is only really any good on inaccurate characters. it only procs on misses, after all.

get it on a Leper, fantastic; get it on a Grave Robber, may as well ignore it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

All traps have different effect, but the one in the Cove is by far the nastiest, especially since the enemies there generally stronger.

This is a balancing problem on their part, not a planned thing, right? It's not like the Cove gives particularly hefty rewards.

it used to be worse. the fishmen used to give you 3 bleed over 3 turns from their swords

it is a balancing issue. it is slightly mitigated by the fact that there are better curios there, if you are lucky; healing coral is great to cure your twitching drink-addled clumsy limpwristed heroes, and is not rare

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

amuayse posted:

What's a good strategy to take down the siren?

shoot the sirendemon, until it dies

(masses of debuff resistance on everyone so your dudes don't join its side)

e:

Gabriel Pope posted:

I still don't think the Cove is that bad in its current state. The spear fish don't have super high accuracy or crit and can only use the more damaging sword attack from the front. Meanwhile, in exchange for their slightly higher average damage there don't seem to be as many effective stress attackers or DOTs.

*Arterially Pinches u*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Soothing Vapors hosed around with this message at Dec 3, 2015 around 22:04

Normality clarified in a single post!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

these had better be in the style of TF2 Meet The... videos

e: actually they were quite good

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the darkest dungeon will contain enemies who stress out your heroes by making them responsible for the deaths of children

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the player character is pretty clearly going to follow in the footsteps of the ancestor, get corrupted, and go similarly wacky-evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"hmm, i've got a letter from my Ancestors"