Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think poor people are strangers to debt.

They are more likely to have friends and family with high debt horror stories though, so for them the idea of debt is worse than the student loan income-based reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Wolfsbane posted:

That's all true enough (as are the arguments that this is effectively a graduate tax, albeit a fairly lovely one), but I always worry that the people most likely to be scared off university by DEBT are people from poorer backgrounds, who are going to have a very different view of being thousands of pounds in debt than someone from a family that sees debt as a mortgage plus a handy way to get a new car every couple of years. Or maybe that's a bit patronizing, I dunno.

Numbers of students from poor backgrounds has continued to rise even with 9grand fees

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Numbers of students from poor backgrounds has continued to rise even with 9grand fees

Yes, but was the rate of increase effected by the raise in fees? Just because its still rising doesn't mean it didn't have a impact.

Also, with the way the student loans are set up now, what is the difference between them and a graduate tax? The only difference seems to me that you stop paying it after a while, but for most its not a concern.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Xachariah posted:

They are more likely to have friends and family with high debt horror stories though, so for them the idea of debt is worse than the student loan income-based reality.

Do you think all those pay day loan companies were selling to middle class families?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Payday lenders and rent to own places tend to deal in smaller amounts of cash and more immediate timelines though. If you've been screwed over by a £100 loan, I can see why borrowing a few grand over a very long term would look like a terrible idea.

And for every person who has lost out to payday lenders or rent to own, there's another who will drill into their children "neither a borrower nor a lender be" precisely because of that, and with little nuance. Or maybe that was just my grandparents.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Gary Glitter's been gaoled for 16 years:

quote:

Former pop star Gary Glitter has been jailed for a total of 16 years for sexually abusing three young girls between 1975 and 1980.

Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, was sentenced for attempted rape, four counts of indecent assault and one of having sex with a girl under 13.
Sentencing, Judge Alistair McCreath said he could find "no real evidence" that Gadd had atoned for his crimes.
The 70-year-old showed no emotion as he left the dock at Southwark Crown Court.

Judge McCreath told Gadd it was clear his victims "were all profoundly affected" by his abuse of them.

"You did all of them real and lasting damage and you did so for no other reason than to obtain sexual gratification for yourself of a wholly improper kind," he said.
Sentencing explained

Judge McCreath said he assessed the seriousness of the offences by current guidelines, but he was limited to the maximum sentences that were available at the time the offences were committed, when "the sentencing climate was less severe".
"The offences for which I must pass sentence today took place many years ago at a time when in particular, in respect of one of them, the maximum sentence was considerably lower than that which is now available," he said.

Judge McCreath said the modern equivalent offence of unlawful intercourse with a child under 13 would be equivalent to rape of a child, but said he was not permitted to pass a life sentence.

He said the offence of attempted rape was "so serious" as to justify the maximum available sentence under the old regime of seven years, which he noted would be a lenient sentence under modern guidelines.

Sallie Bennett-Jenkins QC, defending, told the court that Gadd had been subject to a "very high degree of vilification" and "demonification" in the press after being jailed in Vietnam in 2006 for molesting two girls aged 11 and 12.
She said he had led "an increasingly isolated life" for the last decade and had been unable to walk down the street "without being the subject of vilification".

Gadd, from Marylebone, central London, had denied the allegations against him but was found guilty at the end of a three-week-long trial earlier this month.

He had been at the height of his fame when he attacked two girls aged 12 and 13 after inviting them backstage to his dressing room.
His youngest victim had been less than 10 years old when he crept into her bed and tried to rape her in 1975.

Judge McCreath described Gadd's abuse of a girl under 10 as "appalling" and said: "It is difficult to overstate the depravity of this dreadful behaviour."

He noted that in 2011 Gadd sought professional help to understand his sexual behaviour but said: "Whatever changes may have been effected in you by this treatment, they did not include any admission at all on your part of the wrong that you had done."

The allegations against Gadd came to light only years later when he became the first person to be arrested under Operation Yewtree - the investigation launched by the Met in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.

Scotland Yard confirmed that it had received other information in light of Gadd's conviction, and that it is "currently being assessed".
Det Ch Insp Michael Orchard, from Operation Yewtree, said Gadd was a "habitual sexual predator who took advantage of the star status afforded to him".
He added: "His lack of remorse and defence that the victims were lying make his crimes all the more indefensible."

Mark Castle, chief executive of charity Victim Support, said: "This prison sentence is testament to the courage Glitter's victims showed in reporting their ordeal and bravely confronting this serial paedophile in court."

source; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31657929
----

Completely unrelated to the above, Leonard Nimoy's died. :(:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31662024
---

quote:

Devon and Cornwall Police withdraw 'brutality' image

Police have withdrawn an anti-violence campaign image amid suggestions it depicted "police brutality".

The picture, tweeted by Devon and Cornwall Police, was pulled after users said it appeared to show a riot officer hitting someone lying on the ground.

It was taken down about an hour after it was first published on Thursday afternoon.

The force said the image was meant to show "one drunk person attacking another".

It said it had removed the original tweet after "taking on board feedback from the public."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31655725

:lol: Yeah, all the drunks I know attack each other wearing police riot gear. ACAD.

---

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 27, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

Gary Glitter's been gaoled for 16 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Hx7Q2oC5U

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

:lol: Yeah, all the drunks I know attack each other wearing police riot gear. ACAD.
Maybe they got the 45% reduction by telling some of their officers to stay at home.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Unsettling.

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe they got the 45% reduction by telling some of their officers to stay at home.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So are kids' TV personalities these days allowed to have adult sex lives or have we still not figured out that's what turned everyone into nonces

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Torquay is a quality night on the tiles don't let that image fool you (let it).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

So are kids' TV personalities these days allowed to have adult sex lives or have we still not figured out that's what turned everyone into nonces

What? Did the BBC used to have a celibacy policy for kids' tv presenters or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't buy into the "Catholic priests touched kids because they weren't allowed relationships" thing. It doesn't explain what happened in grammar schools, children's homes, Penn State, or the Tory party.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

marktheando posted:

What? Did the BBC used to have a celibacy policy for kids' tv presenters or something?

There were rumours that Janet Ellis was 'encouraged' to leave Blue Peter due to being both pregnant and unmarried. IIRC she has said this isn't true but it is indicative of public perception around the issue.

Listening to Any Questions - Natalie Bennett is doing much better this time and even managed to get a (n)ice burn on the hilariously 'roaring Major'-style UKIPer (worth listening to just for his insanity).

E: Hahaha the audience just tried to give him a slow handclap - if nothing else this election is going to provide some great pantomime.

vvvv Not sure if it has come up (I missed some stuff), maybe try iplayer? Also, she gets points from me for apologising immediately for her poor showing, no other fucker even admits to their car-crashes.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 27, 2015

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

EmptyVessel posted:

Listening to Any Questions - Natalie Bennett is doing much better this time and even managed to get a (n)ice burn on the hilariously 'roaring Major'-style UKIPer (worth listening to just for his insanity).

Well should could hardly do any worse. Has she worked out how to pay for her flagship policy at the fourth attempt?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

I don't buy into the "Catholic priests touched kids because they weren't allowed relationships" thing. It doesn't explain what happened in grammar schools, children's homes, Penn State, or the Tory party.

Its having power over kids in situations where nobody will catch them or believe the kid. The no sex probably just encouraged some who might not otherwise

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Tories have managed to take a politically popular and morally correct idea and sully it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/27/homosexual-pardon-delayed-whitehall-fears-paedophiles-simon-hughes-alan-turing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

EmptyVessel posted:

I'm honestly surprised anyone let her near a microphone again after that last loving shitshow

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
She's horseshit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Whatever happened to Blackstone's formulation? Surely the vast majority of those convicted were not pedophiles.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Given that they weren't convicted of being paedophiles this wouldn't really pardon them of it either. Probably some of those men were bad people in other ways, this pardon isn't about that though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Whatever happened to Blackstone's formulation? Surely the vast majority of those convicted were not pedophiles.

What's that legal principle that states that old laws don't need to be explicitly repealed if they're overridden by new ones? It's something like that.

wiki article on Blackstone posted:

Former American Vice President Dick Cheney said that his support of American use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" against suspected terrorists was unchanged by the fact that 25% of CIA detainees subject to that treatment were later proven to be innocent, including one who died of hypothermia in CIA custody. "I'm more concerned with bad guys who got out and released than I am with a few that in fact were innocent." Asked whether the 25% margin was too high, Cheney responded, "I have no problem as long as we achieve our objective. . . . I'd do it again in a minute."[14]

Get with the times Guavanaut! Compassion is dead.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Pasco posted:

pre:

Elections Etc:                                        Con 281, Lab 282, LibDem 23, UKIP 3, SNP 40
Election Forecast:                                    Con 284, Lab 281, LibDem 25, UKIP 1, SNP 37
May 2015:                                             Con 270, Lab 271, LibDem 26, UKIP 4, SNP 56

Average prediction of predictions:                    Con 278, Lab 278, LibDem 25, UKIP 3, SNP 44

So I figured, why not make this weekly* in the run up to the election?
pre:
27/02/2015 - 10 Weeks remain
UKPR weekly Polling Average                           CON 32%(nc), LAB 33%(nc), LD 8%(nc), GRN 6%(nc), UKIP 15%(nc)

Elections Etc:                                        CON 279(-2), LAB 283(+1), LD 23(nc), SNP 40(nc), UKIP 3(nc)
Election Forecast:                                    CON 285(+3), LAB 276(-4), LD 27(+2), SNP 39(-1), UKIP 1(-1)
May 2015:                                             CON 270(+4), LAB 271(-4), LD 26(nc), SNP 56(nc), UKIP 4(nc)
The Guardian **New**                                  CON 275,     LAB 271,     LD 27,     SNP 51,     UKIP 4

Average prediction of predictions:                    Con 277(+1), Lab 275(-3), LD 26(+1), SNP 47(+3), UKIP 3(nc)
There's been little movement in the polls, so little movement in the projections, and we can still look forward to a total clusterfuck on the 8th of May :)

*Presuming people find it even marginally interesting, and to conveniently coincide with the excellent UK Polling Report's weekly election round up post.

big scary monsters posted:

Given that they weren't convicted of being paedophiles this wouldn't really pardon them of it either. Probably some of those men were bad people in other ways, this pardon isn't about that though.
Yes, but it's important we don't do anything nice for the gays without making sure to imply they're paedophiles at the same time.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd prefer it in graph form.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Total Meatlove posted:

The Tories have managed to take a politically popular and morally correct idea and sully it.

Is it that popular? Do people really care about pardons for offences being committed as far back as the 19th century? There were all sorts of stupid laws then, just as there are now. Big loving deal. Might as well issue pardons for all the women convicted of adultery before 1857 for all the good it will do. Societal norms change and the government should be worrying about important things.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Thats some quick service right there, can you do a 3d version in the right colours?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
3D graphs of 2D data are an abomination.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I mean so are unlabelled axes but eh.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

big scary monsters posted:

3D graphs of 2D data are an abomination.
But they are pretty :(

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Prince John posted:

Is it that popular? Do people really care about pardons for offences being committed as far back as the 19th century? There were all sorts of stupid laws then, just as there are now. Big loving deal. Might as well issue pardons for all the women convicted of adultery before 1857 for all the good it will do. Societal norms change and the government should be worrying about important things.
Yes because this law actually existed up until 1967 and there are people still alive who were convicted under it. Dunno what makes you think this is a 19th century thing.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Prince John posted:

The people still alive convicted under that law might possibly care about being pardoned.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The government's argument here makes a lot of sense, and I'll be sure to use it in future. Tax cuts for the rich? Sorry can't do that, it could benefit paedophiles

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Dunno what makes you think this is a 19th century thing.

Because they're doing it for everyone convicted under a law enacted in 1885. Two thirds of the people they're pardoning are long dead.

Crameltonian posted:

The people still alive convicted under that law might possibly care about being pardoned.

Fair point. I was being a grumpy old man.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Prince John posted:

Because they're doing it for everyone convicted under a law enacted in 1885. Two thirds of the people they're pardoning are long dead.

Fair point. I was being a grumpy old man.

Even if they were dead, I'd still think it would be worth doing simply because even if they are dead, in a majority of cases there are probably people alive who cared about that person and would rather not see them tarnished as a criminal simply for existing.

It might not seem like it matters, but people really do care. Before Irish 'deserters' (who went to fight the Nazis) were pardoned there were campaigns for their reputations to be restored, even though they were executed.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 28, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ddraig posted:

Even if they were dead, I'd still think it would be worth doing simply because even if they are dead, in a majority of cases there are probably people alive who cared about that person and would rather not see them tarnished as a criminal simply for existing.

It might not seem like it matters, but people really do care. Before Irish 'deserters' (who went to fight the Nazis) were pardoned there were campaigns for their reputations to be restored, even though they were executed.

Perhaps even more than this, any society worth the name should be capable of looking at the past and saying "We were wrong". I grant there comes a point where that is less meaningful due to the distance between now and then, but we're certainly not there with this law.

Of course then you end up with Tories insisting everything is "right" as though declaring it strenuously enough makes it so, so maybe it's not such a good policy.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Its politically popular at the moment because there's just been a film, with which some people are only just becoming aware of the issue, and a well positioned campaign running off the back of that with some huge name attached.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

Surely those who never pay them back are the minority though ?
Barely.
Current official estimates are around 48% of debt to be written off. But over such a long period of decades that comes with big caveats, relying on certain assumptions about continued wage growth and not too many recessions.

Unless you meant those who never pay back any amount of their loan.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Thats some quick service right there, can you do a 3d version in the right colours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

There are people still alive, in parliament and other positions of power who actively participated in the persecution.
Pardoning their victims without also prosecuting them stinks of a white wash. It isn't restess, it's a cheap political stunt.
I don't think the state should be allowed to just rewrite history to hide its barbarity.

• Locked thread