Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

What a fantastic start, this game was a pleasant surprise. It looked interesting from the previews but I wasn't sure what to expect. Great idea letting people try out the first one for $5, I'm hooked now.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's so weird I thought I was I liked explored everything possible and it's like I missed big scenes like
This is definitely the kind of game that rewards poking around and checking out everything, which I love. I put about 5 hours into the first episode. That's what Telltale's been slipping on, as much as I like most of their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Here's the soundtrack from the game, if you use Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/officiallifeisstrange/playlist/1f5ZzLDTXHTDR8CYIEddpW

I didn't realize I liked the genre so much, I'm getting my indie on right now

Current mood: hella hipster bro

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Nckdictator posted:

Why was David harassing Kate ? Was it something meaningful or just him being a dick?
Also there is definitely something going on with Kate beyond the high school rumors, some Twin Peaks level stuff. It was mentioned already, but David is totally going to turn out to be a better guy than they're setting him up to be. Look at all the stereotypical broad strokes they're painting him with, it's almost comical; he has a bad haircut and is yelling at someone the very first time you see him, then you find out he's a gun nut, a hunter, and a prepper. But there are also smaller hints scattered around that he's not a completely terrible guy, and the family is having money problems. If you listen to the answering machine message in their house, he sounds genuinely concerned about Chloe in his own way, and I bet it ties in to his obsession with surveilling everything.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Rincewind posted:

This is so stupid. He's filming his family members without their knowledge or permission, taking weird pictures of teenage girls at his workplace, and he's physically abusing Chloe! Yeah, I'm sure he's really genuinely concerned about Chloe in his own way when he's slapping her in the face. It's for her own good!
Not what I was saying at all, just that there is more to it than that. He's scared about something, and the way he handles it is to double down on the authoritarianism, not being smart enough to know how to handle it another way, or to see that he's doing more harm than good. He even calls her soldier at one point which was funny and probably not the best writing. The subtext though is he thinks he's protecting his family from whatever is going on, that's what the photos and cameras are all about.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Macaluso posted:

:confused: when I played, she absolutely commented on the security guard being Chloe's stepdad, she even said something like "of course" or "I knew it!" or whatever. What picture are you looking at where she says "who is this guy"?
It took her a long time to figure it out. She sees a picture of him as a soldier, and comments on that, then I think she sees his name on an ID card or something lying around, but she doesn't explicitly figure it out until she gets to the garage. That's how it went for me. Maybe it's the way the game is paced, and they expected people to go straight to the garage before snooping around the rest of the house?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

edit: oh weird, I probably have the details mixed up.

It is weird that she didn't recognize his name, out of all the little clues lying around. That's what confirmed it for me, because it says his name right there in her journal!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Kraps posted:

Maybe it's because I missed talking to some of the people but it seemed to me that you only got extra dialogue, like about Rachel, if you used time reverse, in order to make people open up to Max.
Yeah Justin the skater dude is one guy for certain who will only talk about her if you rewind after first talking to him and pretend you know skateboarding moves. The theory posted earlier about Rachel is making more and more sense, she seemed to have been everything to everyone. Only thing I can't figure out is why Victoria hates her so much, and seems to be the only person who does, I'm guessing that will be covered pretty soon though.

So hey the license plates in the parking lot all seem to be TV shows. I figured them all out except for one:
The X-Files Twin Peaks Twilight Zone

The Sopranos Six Feet Under Quantum Leap

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Breaking Bad

Somebody loves their HBO shows. I have no idea what the last one is though. Bird Churches?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Aha! They have some good taste.

I forgot the one I was most proud of figuring out

Carnivale

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

PunkBoy posted:

I doubt it was intentional, but I like how THXFLS could be seen as a double reference with X-Files and THX-1138. Because of course Warren's car would have layers of nerd meaning.
I do love that the whitest person in a school full of really white people is named Warren G.

Two more I missed. OK now I'm done (until the next episode anyway, can't wait for more hot license plate action)

Parks and Rec

No clue on this one.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh nice, that makes sense. Yeah someone really likes their HBO shows.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I think the dialogue works within the world, it's at least pretty consistent. It's broad strokes characterization in a lot of ways (again, why would they have full out dudebro football jocks in a small, exclusive art school?) but I know that's more for the purpose of establishing this stereotypical high school hierarchy and it doesn't bother me too much. It does have a little bit of a Veronica Mars thing where some of the high schoolers seem way smarter and adult than others, yet still act and talk like high schoolers most of the time, but it's not nearly as bad as in most TV shows and movies where they have 20+ year olds playing the parts.

And apropos of nothing really, I was replaying the first episode and rewound so hard I apparently froze time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DpNzlG3ZXo

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wow that was quick. I didn't expect it to come out a day earlier, that seems like a first.

I don't know what happened with the whole idea of the pay as you go episodic gaming. Seems like a good idea to me, but then I don't know much about how that actually works out financially. I think they've found that the vast majority of sales come from season passes to the point where it's just not worth splitting up or something? I'm just glad you could buy episode 1 as a standalone, I was ready to have my hopes dashed but it really sold me on the series.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

"NO EMOJI"

:(

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Anyone else notice (Nathan stuff) that he has some either really fresh or really nasty scratches on his face?

That boy ain't right. I tell ya what.

I'm starting to wonder how much of this is misdirection, because there is so much stacking up against him now it would be too obvious. Obviously he's a total poo poo, but how far does his part actually go?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

firestruck posted:

He got those in episode one, Max scratched his face in the parking lot scuffle they had.
Oh poo poo I totes missed that for cereal. Hella? Am I doing this right :corsair:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Since it's slowed down a little again, time for some more hot license plate action. Looks like they've branched out from TV shows to movies though, which is totes cheating, and there aren't as many in this episode. Game is bullshit, zero stars.

Donnie Darko Groundhog Day The Faculty

The Killing North By Northwest? That's really stretching it if so :mad:
No clue, this is on cool dude art teacher photography man's slick ride.
Elephant Man? idk

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

You running it through Steam? If so did you do the usual, verify integrity of game cache, and delete clientregistry.blob if that's still a fix that applies?

Max posted:

Probably just Elephant. It's from the same era as some of those other films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htlsOf3PnGY

This is Top of the Lake, which owed a lot to Twin Peaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSfUYoiRM0
Awesome, I didn't even know about Top of the Lake, I never would have gotten that. Elephant I remember the name of now, but it wasn't on my radar.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

They've really picked up the slack for interactivity and exploration, Telltale's dropped that ball a while ago and doesn't look to be going back. I'm spending a few hours with each episode at this point, not counting the second playthrough I plan to do with alternate choices. Collecting the photos and the Gone Home style postcards and fliers and stuff adds a neat way to categorize all your wanderings.

dmboogie posted:

I wanna like Chloe, but gosdamn, girl, stop playing with guns! Why was there no "YOU loving SHOT YOURSELF, STOP PLAYING WITH GUNS" option? That and the fact that you couldn't avoid the standoff with shady dude were the only things that really annoyed me this episode. Dammit, Max, I know you're a doormat, but would it kill you to be just a tad more insistent on avoiding a completely unnecessary conflict?
Yeah I was glad to let it get taken away from Max. Sure, RV guy has the gun now, but he probably could get one anyway, and now Chloe doesn't have it to wave around and be an idiot with. It will remain to be seen if it makes any real difference, but so far they seem to be doing a decent job at consequences.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Viridiant posted:

Max gave Chloe the correct instructions on where to aim to break the bottles without missing on each and every shot, even with the trick shots. So from Chloe's perspective Max either has incredibly good judgement for other people aiming or she has powers.
Which is kind of ridiculous as there are so many factors affecting something like that, especially when it's another person aiming a gun, but hey it's a game about someone who can rewind time, that's not nearly the most implausible thing. It was actually a pretty interesting and creative way to explore the rewind mechanic more and set up a sort-of puzzle, while making use of the junkyard and getting into Chloe's newfound gun nuttery.

Plus the fireball when you shoot the gas tank looks pretty rad, I rewound that a few times in slow motion. The Unreal engine is being put to good use in this game.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

For the engine, I meant the look of the game. The art style makes good use of the engine, everything looks really rich and colorful, and you have some cool effects like the fireball.

That's why I just called it a sort of puzzle, I thought it was a creative, if weird, way to give you some objectives. I like the way they've been doing stuff like this, its definitely a far sight more engaging than Telltales button mashing events sprinkled here and there.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I agree on that, I think the fetch quest/hunt is the weakest part of the game so far. I can give them that though, and I didn't mind it much as I was going to explore the entire area anyway.

Stuff like the diner exploration is where they're really knocking it out of the park, that rewards exploration in a big way and gives the player more of an active role in fleshing out the story.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else they do with rewinding, especially now that the basics have been established and the laws of physics are starting to kick in. There are a bunch of creative ideas they could explore.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Karnegal posted:

Are you familiar with telltales offerings? I ask because this occupies the same genre, and these narrative-driven games as a whole aren't really the most "gamey" in the traditional sense. Although if you think someone is making this sort of game in such a fashion, I'd be curious to know what it is.
Yeah I don't think puzzles in a traditional sense are going to make it in to this type of game. I'm just so happy to see something approaching gameplay in this kind of story heavy adventure game that I'm willing to relax the definition a little. At this point, just being able to actually walk around and explore at your own pace is a big deal for me.

Although Dreamfall Chapters is doing a great job, and they have some more traditional puzzles.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Rosalind posted:

I'm hella ready to be stuck in the retro zone. Happy face.
NO EMOJI

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Holy poo poo Max, "You eat like a pig. Try the floor!" :master: That was the best moment. Being a Time rear end in a top hat to people is fantastic.

I had doubts they could keep up the quality for this long, but it's still great. It's kinda my perfect adventure game right now, it's between this and Dreamfall Chapters anyway. They've managed to pull off some level of choice yet still give you an environment to wander around, explore, and have optional conversations. I spent about 5 hours with this episode, the season pass has been worth every penny already.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 27, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Just downloaded this and played through Episode One. This is a good game, pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. I hope more games about the mundane continue to be made because they're very worthy subjects, even though this one has its own little supernatural twist.
Even though this one started out pretty dramatic, it still takes the time to let you live in the character's day to day life for a while. I love that there is at least one spot in each episode where you can just sit down and chill out for a minute or two.

Also whoah, public opinion has really shifted against Warren in the last two episodes. I was ready to come in here and defend him, but that screenshot of him hiding out and waiting for Max has made that really hard to do. I kinda wish I didn't know about that. Dude has some pretty rad taste in movies though!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It was this one, from episode 2:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Wish I'd never said yes to that drat Apes marathon. Can't wait to crush his heart under my time-travelling boot.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I know, right?

I never would have caught that, and up until it was posted, I thought Warren was just a nice, funny nerdy guy, maybe a bit conceited and with a barely suppressed crush on Max, but he respected her boundaries and was there when she needed help. Now he's kinda stalkery.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

License plate time! I only found one new this episode, although it's the car beside the diner that may also be in episode 2.

I'm stumped. Also I think at this point they've completely broken the character limit for license plates.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I couldn't save her either, that part seemed legitimately tough, and having the rewind yanked away from you put a lot of pressure on the scene. Good job to them for coming up with a way to make choices not trivial.

I didn't see this covered yet, but how different is the game if she lives? Is she away in a hospital somewhere like was speculated? There's a surprising amount of seemingly unique mentions to her death if you're not able to save her. I haven't gotten far enough in my second save yet to see what happens in the alternate case.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Who do you think is writing all the messages that seem to follow you around? They're on a lot of Chloe's stuff so it'd seem like her, but they also pop up in weird places like the drug dealer guy's RV.

RV: Chloe's truck:

The handwriting seems different too. Did Rachel scrawl that stuff all over the place, or is it a warning to Max from her future/past self? In the Max=Rachel theory, maybe both? Kind of like how she can leave a message for herself on the fireplace in the latest episode.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Max isn't supposed to be a totally great person.
What 13-18 year old is though?

She doesn't do anything that makes her an outright bad person or anything. I think a lot of it is just being a video game lead character that isn't either super virtuous or some kind of troubled antihero.

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think suddenly dropping out of contact with a previously close friend is all that uncommon an occurrence in the modern world, especially when you're young and don't have any real means of seeing each other. Max is a pretty well-written teenager, with typical teenage faults but also noble qualities as well. Of course it's easy to see how she could come off like a total rear end in a top hat depending on certain player choices.
And this as well. Many people wouldn't know how to deal with their best friend losing one of their parents, and moving away not long after would make it even harder.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Well poo poo, no wonder Alt-Chloe was getting so much worse. Her doctor was absolutely ABOMINABLE! (relevant screenshot, no major spoilers, this is in the first 30 minutes or so): http://i.imgur.com/czqKdVf.jpg)

I love these delightful French developers and their references :allears:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah those have both popped up at least a couple times. I haven't played all of Episode 4 yet, but I'll be sure to continue my exciting license plate recap if I find any new ones.

I did screencaps of (I think) all the plates from the earlier episodes, you can find them in my older posts in the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698214&userid=18902

People in the thread have figured them all out so far. This one was a bit deeper, I wonder how much stuff I'm missing.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

This is an inexpensive game and assets get reused everywhere. Next, my elaborate theory on how Mrs. Grant is in on the whole scheme because the red binder on her desk is the same model as the ones in the darkroom and David's closet. You should never have given away your personal information on that petition, Max...

TOO BAD

:stare:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I finished Episode 4 not that long ago, and I've just caught up with the thread. I feel a little behind, but why is everyone 100% sure that it's Rachel's body in the junkyard? The player doesn't see anything, and Chloe and Max don't seem to dig up very much. Did they see her face for sure? A body in a shallow grave for 6 months would be really decomposed.

It took me a while to play this episode because wow, it feels like one of the heaviest ones, for both content and play length. That Vortex Club pool party scene was masterful and really served as the culmination of a lot of the relationships in game. And 24 minutes of music(!), the attention to detail is fantastic.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Ekusukariba posted:

Because we have a picture of Dead Rachel in spot where we find a corpse, not everything is a conspiracy
Not saying it's some wild conspiracy, not any more than is already in the game. This wouldn't be the first bit of misdirection

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Ekusukariba posted:

But there is literally no reason for it to not be Rachel, its terrible writing to have it be a fake out, like "oh just kidding, they killed someone else and buried her there", all it would do is take away from the story
Not necessarily? There's still a chance it could be bigger than just Rachel, I mean this seems like a conclusion to Rachel's story, but it's too... convenient somehow. Convenient story points have been subverted many times over, and when you add time travel to the mix it really mixes things up.

I mean they were basically lured to the junkyard by a guy who has a long history of abducting blond girls, and they find a body right in the spot where it was posed for a picture, buried in a shallow grave. Both of them are stressed out and so convinced it's Rachel that they just right away jump to that conclusion as soon as they see something wrapped up in a bag. I had to go back and check it out and they show even less than I'd remembered

They're also 100% convinced Nathan's behind it at that point.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Speaking of grafitti, when you're looking for beer bottles you can go inside a small building where you can add your name to the Chloe and Rachael was here grafitti and it says it will have consequences.....it hasn't for me yet unless I missed something?
Yeah if you add Max's name, in the final scene of episode 4 her name and Chloe's name will be circled in red and say YOU'RE GOING TO DIE. Someone posted a screenshot earlier.

I didn't add Max's name out of paranoia, and in the final scene of episode 4, it just has Rachel's name circled with the addition "IS HERE"

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Well poo poo, regarding the journal entry, I completely forgot there was a second scene before the ending one where they go to the junkyard while it's still daylight and initially find the body. So I was misremembering, I thought there were details I vaguely remembered missing. The luring to the junkyard doesn't happen until after they already find the body. My mistake, the whole episode was kind of a blur and I finished it all up late one night.

Max posted:

But where people really invested in the idea that she was alive?
I kinda was, she's this person you hear about all through the game, and is built up to almost mythical status by the end, just having her end up dead and dumped in a landfill is a bummer. In keeping with the game's Twin Peak etc influences though.

NOW, let me explain my theories about how Nathan and Warren G are actually working together, you see, Nathan = Nate Dogg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

NaDy posted:

Can I just say I love it when this game gives you the option to 'Sit'. It's so nice to have a bit of downtime and reflection in a game like this and the way the camera slowly flicks between scenes with some music playing is god drat awesome. It fits perfectly within the game's universe and I'm amazed they actually put it in.
That's one of the tons of little things that help make this so great. It makes perfect sense that Max would just take a few minutes to hang out under a tree or on a swing and dive into some angsty self-reflection, and I love it. It's nice to have a game that lets you take your time and rewards you for it. I'm finally doing the second playthrough I'd been wanting to, and it will likely take me until about the time the final episode is out, because in my off and on playing during days when I have free time I end up totalling 4-5 hours in each episode. Episode 4 was 5+, easy.

• Locked thread