Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

If the plant dies, your mom makes a passive aggressive comment about your maturity during parents' weekend. Man the guilt you'll feel.

Also I absolutely adore this game. I preordered it the moment I could, having loved Remember Me and generally anything that involves school drama, and it totally is worth it. I'm very curious to see where the story ends up going as the first episode establishes so many subplots already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

According to Chloe, Rachel met someone special and left with this person. Do we think Max can travel far enough back in time to have interacted with Rachel and be that special person? It seems if she tries to go back more than a few minutes the screen turns all bloody so the power must be limited. I agree that Rachel and Max are connected in some way, but I'm not sure what exactly is going on. Are they the same person? We know that Max left, vaguely, for Seattle for some reason and at the same time Rachel showed up. Then Rachel left with this mysterious person and Max came back shortly after. Maybe Rachel is future Max? No idea how that would work.

About the tornado, Max sees. I got the impression that it's metaphorical for the Vortex Club more than an actual looming threat in itself.

Regarding the Vortex Club, I really don't think they have time travel powers. If they did, they would have fixed so many things. I think again their club name is meant to allude to the fact that they're a destructive force that is hurting the town. Nathan Prescott was talking about blowing up the school in the bathroom right? I could see him trying some kind of school shooting situation happening.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Here's the soundtrack from the game, if you use Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/officiallifeisstrange/playlist/1f5ZzLDTXHTDR8CYIEddpW

I didn't realize I liked the genre so much, I'm getting my indie on right now

Current mood: hella hipster bro

Yeah it's a great soundtrack. Game also made me want a Polaroid camera desperately.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

precision posted:

Eagerly awaiting the angry fat gamer dudes ranting on YouTube about how this game sucks. :allears:

Let's see what Gamergaters and generally probably angry white dudes are saying about this game! Here are a bunch of posts from various places on Reddit.

What about my animes :cry:

quote:

I find it 1000 times more funny, that "life is strange" get good scores compared to many Visual Novels from Japan. Because "Life is Strange" is nothing else than an animated VN, like the VNs from Telltale.

This game sucks. Take it from a man who starts sentences with "lols."

quote:

lols if they are comparing it to "Gone Home" then it sucks.

And I've saved the best for last!

quote:

played the first episode of life is strange
it feels like ever dude is an rear end in a top hat to point of being a phsyco sometimes (except for the one white knight) while all the girls seem like they come straight out of tumblr (except for that one bully). they are all awkward hipsters and the whole selling point of sudden time travel powers hasnt really done much for the story so far. its mostly just "go back to last decision and here the other choice out before deciding what you actually want, making the whole decision based point and click walking deadisk nature of it easier and less tence.
probably not going to pick up episode 2
btw i know only faggots believe in the friendzome, but you are totally friendzoning that guy

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Maybe Max left because Chloe was in love with Max, but Max couldn't reciprocate those feelings. That would explain why Max seems so tentative about talking to Chloe when she finds the photo of her and Chloe in her dorm. Based on her room and her behavior, I think Chloe is pretty obviously gay, but who knows about Max or Rachel at this point?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I still think the tornado is a metaphor and not really like an actual tornado that's actually going to destroy the town. I don't think I need to spoil that since the tornado is in the first seconds of the game.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

The leaked location list makes it fairly clear where the end game is going to take place.

Don't even say stuff like this. I really don't want it spoiled.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

They probably all went to school together at whatever the regular local high school is before starting there. I mean that's what I assume. In smaller towns, there's not like multiple high schools like there are in cities. Even in that case, I knew about half my high school class from middle school because only two middle schools fed into my high school.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Did you attend an art school? That's not how things were at my Uni.

\/\/\/ If you can't tell who 'bought' this av, you should probably cut down on watching anime.

I get the impression you're not American judging by your word choices ("uni" and "mate" standing out). I mean yes the characters are a bit exaggerated at times, but honestly this really isn't that different from the high school I attended. It's just very American teen.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

precision posted:

I'm sure the thread can go on with people playing the game ironically and laughing at how stupid hipsters are (you know, those people who like things ironically) but I'm just not really feeling it. Plot has been speculated, opinions given, there's not much to do until next episode but watch people bicker back and forth :\

You forgot post fan art!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Paladinus posted:

But have we decided who's going to turn out to be a lesbian? My money is on the Christian girl. That would explain everything.

Plot twist is that they're all lesbians. Or at least if I had my way they'd be.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Anime style?

Maybe she was playing a Persona game and he got confused.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I think they're supposed to have a sketched vibe to them, as if they were in a high school girl's journal since that's the vibe of all the UI elements too.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Kraps posted:

My game suddenly minimized at that part by the lighthouse.

Actually you just time traveled back to before you launched the game.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Next episode: one of the characters uses "throwing shade;" thread explodes in anger.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

The game feels like a tween sitcom. I don't care if that's realistic or not realistic, I don't like it

Then why have you posted in this thread more than almost everyone else? You don't like it? Great, we get that and we've heard the reasons you don't like it. Continuing to post at this point is just hella unnecessary.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

The rumor for awhile was that it was coming out on Friday but I'm guessing that's not true. At this point, I'm assuming 3/27.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Woah holy poo poo that was hella good for cereal. The last half especially after the diner.

So Max's powers are starting to cause physical harm and malfunction at times. I think we're going to see her become more and more powerful (such as gaining the ability to move while stopping time which she didn't have before the episode finale) but it's going to take more and more out of her.

Also why was Victoria crying at the end before Nathan walked into her room? I think maybe he did the same thing to her and he was coming to threaten her to keep quiet, maybe?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Well that exceeded expectations...I think the wait is going to be even more unbearable this time - like the game is a TV drama that is consistently on terrible hiatus.

The photo hunting for the journal was pretty straightforward this time. I mean come on, another squirrel picture? I did enjoy the Twin Peaks reference :allears: I'm still loving stumped on the science lab photo, like I probably spent half an hour watching Warren almost blind himself with :science: and I still couldn't figure out how to frame the camera for the photo context option.
A third of people couldn't save Kate :smith:

Have Warren attempt the experiment once, then go ask the teacher who will tell you what chemical to use. After the experiment is successful, there will be a photo option.

In terms of the three-way choice at the end, I chose Mr. Jefferson. For Nathan's choice, the principal suspended me probably because I've been choosing a lot of anti-authority options. I didn't want to blame security guy because I had no proof that what he was doing was absolutely wrong. I mean he admits to being aggressive and mean, but I don't really think he's actually a bad guy. Mr. Jefferson was clearly in the wrong as a teacher. Kate opened up to him shortly before her suicide attempt and any high school teacher should immediately recognize what a cry for help looks like. His callous attitude toward her later when talking to Max showed that Mr. cool-guy-teacher is still kind of an rear end in a top hat. What he said to Max about Kate was just so heinous that I lost all respect for him.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Mr. Jefferson had some sort of sexual relationship with Victoria and then broke it off because she was thinking he actually wanted to be with her when in reality he just wanted to gently caress his student. That's why she's so upset and why she hates Max so much because he pays more attention to Max now than her.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 24, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Oblivion4568238 posted:

My run has been a "Nathan Prescott is an rear end in a top hat and something should be done about him at every opportunity" run, and he's been suspended thanks to my actions so I guess I'm doing good.

I feel like getting this must be a Pyrrhic victory though. Like what did you have to do to get the principal to believe you? He was so intensely skeptical of me in Episode 1 when I told him about the bathroom and I've been defending Chloe a ton so I feel like that's why they mistrust me. Maybe if I was less defensive of Kate and Chloe, they'd believe me more?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I have an understanding for Chloe being a bit of a gently caress-up. She's a teenage girl who went through some trauma growing up. Having spent several years as a teenage girl myself, I can say that I was at times a petty, self-centered bitch who started drama just for fun and thought I was invincible. Also I might be biased because I love her tattoo.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

D_W posted:

On Warren: I didn't even go to the lab to see Warren. he shows up very briefly in the photo class but doesn't really say anything and the teacher kicks everyone who isn't part of the class pretty much as soon as Warren sits down. I don't know if that always happens, but yeah, he is clingy creep. Notice how he's always like "you owe me" or "hey check out this thing I am into!" and never like "Hey take any cool photos today?" or try to talk about her interests? That dude just thinks since Max is a quiet and kind of shy that she'd be easy to get with. I bet the folks who are falling for Warren are going to find out he's not a cool dude at some point.

He does that regardless. And yeah he's a total internet nice guy white knight. I mean sure he does take a beating for you, but his reaction isn't "This guy just assaulted both of us. Are you ok?" it's "I saved you and now you owe me." Max is totally his manic pixie dream girl or whatever.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Max posted:

I don't know if this was unique to the "Kate Dies" playthrough, but I got a little stinger at the end of the episode that showed the red binder with Rachel's name again, followed by someone's hands working on a new binder for Kate, with photos of her. I think Rachel's dead.

They are in every version of the ending I think. I assume they are David Masden's binders that he seems to keep on many of the women at Blackwell. (edit: nope totally wrong on this)

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 27, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Max posted:

His files are in green folders in the garage of his home, so I don't think they are his. I think we're supposed to infer that someone who knows what's going on / responsible for Rachel owns that red binder.

poo poo you're right.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Wait a second I just had a total flash of brilliance. Binders? Labeled with different women? Oh my god you guys it's totally Mitt Romney!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

If we're lucky.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

epitasis posted:

is there any Max x Dana fanart? halloween or pregnancy content optional. thanx

None that I can find on Deviantart. Also can't find any Max x Warren either. There's hardly any Warren art at all.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Would buy if it plays the "This action will have consequences" audio cue whenever you water it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Episode 2 was released March 24th after being announced March 14th so if we're going to see a May 22nd release date, I'm guessing we'd see the announcement today or tomorrow. I think at this point May 29th is more realistic.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue9b6hkp48Y

Episode 3 Trailer is out.

Why the hell is Max dressed like Rachel? I'm sure that's going to make the Max is Rachel theorists go crazy.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I'm hella ready to be stuck in the retro zone. Happy face.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh man, maybe something will actually happen this episode.

Because nothing major happened at the end of the last episode. Nope, nothing at all.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Pricefield confirmed?!

edit:

Max is totally not Rachel you guys despite this happening like 3 times.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 19, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Genetic Toaster posted:

Kinda sorta. Chloe dares you to kiss her. It's up to the player whether or not to.

Just finished the episode. That loving ending. :stare:

Yeah, but it's a pretty common LGB coming of age trope that stuff like "HA HA WOULDN'T IT BE SO GAY IF WE KISS DUDE? I DARE YOU TO KISS ME! OMG YOU DID YOU'RE SO GAY I AM TOTALLY NOT THOUGH DUDE. SUPER HETERO." happens. Chloe gets so upset about Rachel being in a relationship with Frank.

Snuffman posted:

Rachel is just an older version or alternate version of Max that puts herself earlier in the timeline to prevent the wheelchair/apocalypse and then removes herself from the timeline before she can meet herself...or something. Doesn't explain why Max doesn't recognize herself in pictures, but she hasn't gone through her rebellious hair dying phase yet :v:

Seems odd but curiously on the right path...I wonder how they'll explain it.

Max seems to acquire a new power at the end of each episode. I wonder if one of those powers is somehow going to let her become Rachel or take on an alternate version of herself where she is Rachel? Seriously, every single person commenting WOW YOU'RE JUST LIKE RACHEL all the time to me is some pretty blunt foreshadowing that Max is Rachel somehow.

Also on an unrelated note, Chloe ending up in a wheelchair is heavily foreshadowed throughout the story. For instance, her truck is first parked in the handicapped spot at Blackwell. Then she wants to steal from the handicapped fund.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Wiseblood posted:

Is it weird that I briefly considered replaying episode 2 so I can save the plant?

I'm actually doing this the moment I get home tonight so if considering it is weird, then I am hella crazypants.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Edit: Christ the ending :psyboom: Also A lot of people seem to think that Max and Rachel are the same person, but I assumed the homeless woman was Rachel. Also I have no idea what they have planned for the rest of the story, but I do think it would've been cool if you could have chosen to not save Chloe's dad, and then people really would have two completely different playthroughs of the rest of the game. Also, Chloe you totally want Max. Just admit it sister! We can run off together and Warren can sit alone with his creepy bomb making word document.

Why do you think the homeless person is Rachel?

Here is what we know about Rachel so far:

1. Looks like Max
  2. Disappeared a few months ago after meeting "someone special"
  3. Prior to that had been planning to leave Arcadia Bay with Chloe
  4. Was friends with pretty much everyone including the Vortex Club, skaters, outcasts, nerds, etc.
  5. Had a sexual relationship with Frank
  6. Was not adverse to substance use
  7. Arrived in Arcadia Bay shortly after Max left

Am I missing anything?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Karnegal posted:

I kind of knew that Chloe was going to get hosed up if you saved her dad, but I am also in the camp that you will swap back to the other time line. In the teaser for ep. 4 Max was in her standard clothes instead of her preppy gear, which seems to be what she has in the paralyzed Chloe time line.

I agree. Effectively tossing out all the decisions we've made up until this point because we're in a different timeline seems like a pretty big mistake in this sort of game. Also this is the story of Max and Chloe. Stripping a main character of nearly all of her agency by placing her in a wheelchair, especially when that main character has been the driving force behind the story so far, seems ill-advised. I think the shock of Max being in this alternate timeline will wear off pretty quickly. We've seen a lot of the effects of the change already: Max is in the Vortex Club and is preppy, Warren is dating Stella, Madsen is the bus driver, William is still alive, and Chloe is in a wheelchair.

I'm guessing Max will show Chloe the selfie she took of the two of them earlier that day and explain to her all about her powers. I don't know exactly what will happen next but the two of them will decide that Max needs to put things back the way they were. I could even see William being in on the conversation and being like "No I'd rather be dead and have Chloe free to enjoy life than to see my daughter stuck like this for the rest of her life." Maybe Max being able to go back and say "Chloe, you don't need to blame your dad. He did it for you." and show her pictures. This will have a major change on her outlook maybe and she won't blame her dad as she was at the end of the episode.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Americans refrigerate eggs. Apparently most other countries don't. Dontnod is French so I guess that's why they're sitting out.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

I can almost guarantee she's just a homeless woman for the reason that you can completely skip talking to her, it'd be bad storytelling to have her be someone that important when there's a chance that the player has never met her at all

This is a really good point. All the impact of the reveal would be gone if the player never talked to her and was just like "huh? Am I supposed to know who that is?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I blamed Jefferson because that was the only option that didn't result in me getting suspended, although I'm going to do a new playthrough tonight where I change some things so hopefully I don't get suspended this time when I blame Nathan. When Jefferson and Victoria are talking at the steps at night, Jefferson is really harsh toward Max. He puts all the blame on her and says something like "I got in trouble for listening to a student in trouble."

What an rear end in a top hat. That's totally not what happened at all, dick.

At least to his credit he doesn't act on Victoria's utterly transparent and honestly inept attempt at seduction and then blackmail. I really think there's more to Victoria than we're seeing, but I have absolutely no idea what's going on with her. We know she's a secret nerd. Maybe she's gay too and has a crush on Max. She doesn't know how to act on it so she's mean to her. It's again another common trope in the LGB coming of age story.

• Locked thread