Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Jastiger posted:

What about RefereeGate?

Brady throwing an Intentional Grounding pass and not getting called on it, keeping their drive alive.

Or the VIPER LIKE pass interference by the Patriots defensive back as he reaches out and trips the Seahawks receiver, and NO FLAG?!

Refs are in the pockets of the Pats.

What about the referee literally stopping Revis from covering a TD? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

If I were a Seahawks fan and wanted to bitch about something beyond my a terrible play call from my offensive coordniator I would be really upset that Cliff Avril got taken out of the game for a concussion whereas Julian Edelman didn't even miss a play and ended up catching the winning touchdown.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hey NFL, can you please create rules that remove referees from the playing area inside the 10 yard line so receivers can't use them to setup pick plays for touchdowns? tia

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Simplex posted:

If I were a Seahawks fan and wanted to bitch about something beyond my a terrible play call from my offensive coordniator I would be really upset that Cliff Avril got taken out of the game for a concussion whereas Julian Edelman didn't even miss a play and ended up catching the winning touchdown.

I fuckin' KNEW Edelman was concussed the instant it happened. Anybody would have been. He kept catching balls and making yards, and then after each play was over he'd lose all his motor control again for a few seconds. There was one where he just looked dead for a three-count before staggering away again.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Chilichimp posted:

Hey NFL, can you please create rules that remove referees from the playing area inside the 10 yard line so receivers can't use them to setup pick plays for touchdowns? tia

Brady used one during the regular season and I thought that was kinda bullshit.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

I fuckin' KNEW Edelman was concussed the instant it happened. Anybody would have been. He kept catching balls and making yards, and then after each play was over he'd lose all his motor control again for a few seconds. There was one where he just looked dead for a three-count before staggering away again.

He looked like he was badly hurt after every play, and I don't know how it was allowed to continue.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Simplex posted:

I didn't notice this at all during the game but that's really, really bad. I assume he covered up the concussion but its assumed that players will try to cover them up and you've got to have the decency to pull them anyway.

It is sort of surprising to me though that someone who is concussed can still play football well (not just edelman), how the hell does that work?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

yeah I obviously don't want to bitch about the refs and both teams benefited from how the game was called and sort of relied on it - its just bizarre to try and deny the punt call was botched because that's the one case where there's basically no judgement call at all

Yeah and that one had me completely loving stumped... but I'm not the only one. Collinsworth sounded like he wanted to leave the booth and go yell at the refs himself.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

effectual posted:

You did this. You cursed us.
Oh please if you blame anime for this Tokyo will beat you at football next.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

I didn't notice this at all during the game but that's really, really bad. I assume he covered up the concussion but its assumed that players will try to cover them up and you've got to have the decency to pull them anyway.

It was extremely noticeable. I'm kind of surprised Collinsworth didn't at least say something in passing, but I guess they don't want to second-guess the medical experts on the sideline (hah, like Belichick would have let a doctor anywhere near Edelman).

Looking for video clips now. Edelman must be one tough motherfucker, but it shouldn't have been up to him. I felt like I was watching years being shaved off his life every time he took a hit after that.

evilweasel posted:

It is sort of surprising to me though that someone who is concussed can still play football well (not just edelman), how the hell does that work?

I dunno. He didn't look like he could even see past his facemask.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Bill Belichick and decency are incompatible concepts, like a pass play on 2nd down at the 1 yard line with Marshawn Lynch in the backfield.

Honestly, that poo poo is worse than when the Braves were eliminated from the play-offs and didn't send in Crag Kimbrell once the entire post season.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Simplex posted:

I assume it's cuz Avril basically got knocked the gently caress out and it was immediately obvious they had to take him off the field, while Edelman stayed on his feet, made a play, and was able to get back into the huddle so even though we all know he his brains scrambled he managed to not give the Patriots any reason to take him out of the game.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I think Edleman was operating on pure muscle memory at that point.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

You know, that makes sense. After one catch I legitimately thought he had a hip injury cuz he looked like poo poo getting on his feet. Don't remember the hit that started it but then again I was processing a lot of wings and beer at that time...

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Levitate posted:

I assume it's cuz Avril basically got knocked the gently caress out and it was immediately obvious they had to take him off the field, while Edelman stayed on his feet, made a play, and was able to get back into the huddle so even though we all know he his brains scrambled he managed to not give the Patriots any reason to take him out of the game.

From my understanding after the Colt McCoy fiasco the NFL is supposed to have an independent doctor there to watch the game and tell the teams when to pull a player from the game to have them tested. I'm not claiming that Edelman definitely had a concussion or anything, but that he was allowed to continue in the game without even being check was a little eyebrow raising.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Crazyweasel posted:

You know, that makes sense. After one catch I legitimately thought he had a hip injury cuz he looked like poo poo getting on his feet. Don't remember the hit that started it but then again I was processing a lot of wings and beer at that time...

They actually ran a replay of the hit where Edelman got concussed, you could see his head snap around like a bobblehead doll

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i heard somebody in the office bitching about blatantly not only paying off the refs but a conspiracy about how obviously seattle was threatened into doing the pass -> interception on purpose and punctuate it with "deflatriots"

dude's a major loving bandwagon fan since he started caring about the seahawks about oh last year second half of the season so it's even funnier

well that's my tale, also nobody ever say "deflatriot" because jesus christ

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Edelman took a brutal helmet to helmet hit from what I remember. I am surprised it isn't a bigger story today considering all the head injury stuff this year.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

sword_man.gif posted:

i heard somebody in the office bitching about blatantly not only paying off the refs but a conspiracy about how obviously seattle was threatened into doing the pass -> interception on purpose and punctuate it with "deflatriots"

dude's a major loving bandwagon fan since he started caring about the seahawks about oh last year second half of the season so it's even funnier

well that's my tale, also nobody ever say "deflatriot" because jesus christ

the appropriate term is 'cheatriots' thanks and god bless

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

the appropriate term is 'cheatriots' thanks and god bless

thanks i'll let him know

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheLoquid posted:

Edelman took a brutal helmet to helmet hit from what I remember. I am surprised it isn't a bigger story today considering all the head injury stuff this year.
Seahawks let possibly concussed Cliff Avril get tested. As a result, he was taken out for the rest of the game.

Patriots didn't let obviously concussed Julian Edeman get tested. As a result, he caught the game-winning TD.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SirPhoebos posted:

Now I remember why I was rooting for Bane to bomb the stadium.

:thejoke:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Me and my friends missed Edelman getting hit and thought he pulled a muscle in his leg or something juking somebody because he was having a hard time walking between plays but after the ball was snapped couldn't have performed better. It looked a lot more like playing through pain than someone barely knowing where they were.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Seahawks let possibly concussed Cliff Avril get tested. As a result, he was taken out for the rest of the game.

Patriots didn't let obviously concussed Julian Edeman get tested. As a result, he caught the game-winning TD.

It's cool, I'm sure Edelman will be comforted by his ring when he's hearing voices telling him to murder his entire family.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't know Edelman was hurt, I just saw him bringing down passes like a monster. Anyone have a relevant clip of where it happened and his behavior afterwards?

As for the running into the kicker thing, I've posted before how I dislike the rule a lot and was just playing off that. Its a serious thing to run into a plant leg, and is super dangerous to kickers. I just dislike the rule because it means punts are super rarely blocked because of the harsh penalty for doing so.

Hawks should have been called for it for sure. I just thought the intentional grounding was super egregious as was the arm flip trip on the pass play against the Seattle receiver. Of course if the Hawks had won, I wouldn't be salty. They lost so I'm mega salty.

I wasn't aware that using the ref was INTENTIONAL. It didn't look like it in the replay, only that he was changing direction.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

I didn't know Edelman was hurt, I just saw him bringing down passes like a monster. Anyone have a relevant clip of where it happened and his behavior afterwards?

As for the running into the kicker thing, I've posted before how I dislike the rule a lot and was just playing off that. Its a serious thing to run into a plant leg, and is super dangerous to kickers. I just dislike the rule because it means punts are super rarely blocked because of the harsh penalty for doing so.

Hawks should have been called for it for sure. I just thought the intentional grounding was super egregious as was the arm flip trip on the pass play against the Seattle receiver. Of course if the Hawks had won, I wouldn't be salty. They lost so I'm mega salty.

I wasn't aware that using the ref was INTENTIONAL. It didn't look like it in the replay, only that he was changing direction.

If you didn't KNOW Edelman was hurt, that's cool. If you didn't THINK Edelman was hurt, you need stop posting your opinions on the internet.

As for the 2nd bold... Jesus Christ, do you watch football?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Jastiger posted:

He took a helmet to helmet hit and looked off getting up. A few plays leter he caught a pass over the middle, took a step after getting up and lurched to the side, at which point Collinsworth mentioned a hip injury or something. He was obviously not with it.

Brady missed him on the first pass to the endzone and Edelman was laying on the ground like a corpse for a good ten seconds.

Like I'm glad he caught the pass and the man has my utmost gratitude for helping us win but he should not have been in the game at all after the first hit.

• Locked thread