Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Aishan posted:

I found the karts very squirrelly with the DS4 at first, but a managed to adjust enough to get a perfect season in the Kart 1 Championship. Also definitely found it was worth it to up to lap count to make them seem more like a real race, the default of 2/3 for Karts seems ridiculously short, especially when you have sub-minute lap times.

Does anyone know if there's a bug with the pit crew radio? They seem to pipe up randomly in races, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when they do.

Seriously do that, 2-lap kart races are way too short. 5/7 laps are much better. Though once I had a handle on the handling of the 125cc karts I was reliably lapping everyone. I'm having huge fun with the karts and I hope they release more kart stuff, also the opponent AI is really great. I had a 5 lap battle for first with one kart because they actually blocked my overtakes and just turned to nudge me off line if I tried to take in a corner. Can't wait to get to the open wheel stuff because open wheel racing that isn't F1 is always a barrel of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Comma Chameleon posted:

Probably because the "typical" sim crowd loves things to be overcomplicated and unapproachable, Spending hours tweaking .ini files to get the handing to match their preconceived notions of how a racing car handles is exactly what they want. It also provides them a high horse from which they can dismiss anyone who questions the authenticity because that person obviously didn't take the time (hours) to gently caress with files and settings.

PCARS changes that by being simulation and also easy as gently caress to configure, so of course the typical crowd is already dismissing this game as console trash for reasons such as "The cars feel wooden" and "too much grip" and obviously the multiple professional racers who tested the game extensively through it's lifespan and posted detailed logs of that testing on the development forum are incompetent/paid off/never played it/pr stunt/etc.

I like that I can press the go button and the cars go vroom, which is really all I want from a racing game. Being able to adjust tire pressure and poo poo is great to have though if I ever felt like I needed it though, and I am eternally greatful for a corner/speed indicator option that isn't that loving line on the track that every racer has now on by default.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

How come for the 2nd races I'm always in last place to start? I never see an option to qualify.

Check the dicipline rules, not all series' have qualifying sessions. In karting races your sprint start position is random, but your main race position is your sprint race result.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

dirtyfrog posted:

I'll hazard it's already been mentioned, but my god the "invalid lap time" bollocks when your car so much as glances at a blade of grass is stupidly over the top. I just tapped the grass at Oulton Park, did a 360, came to a complete standstill and then rejoined the track. Invalidated. Why, because I saved *so* much time?

Also getting mighty pissed off that I have to redo the HUD arrangement every session. It's great that there is the option to move stuff around, but it can't be that hard to actually save those preferences?

Invalid laps seem rather inconsistent too, like I can run miles off track on Spa and not lose anything, but if I even sneeze off track on some kart circuits I lose the time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I just encountered rain for the first time and I will never delay changing tires ever again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

simosimo posted:

I got this after seeing toca tracks (snetteron etc) any game that has these gets bought (I have a toca touring cars addiction) and instantly thought my 360 pad isn't doing the game justice.

So a g27 is coming tomorrow! I had a dfgt for GT5, it was fun but I hated getting it ouch each time. Now I have a solid, non ikea pc desk so it should be awesome.

Any word on DLC plans? I would pay for thruxton, knockill and croft. Amazed to see Caldwell park in this!

I'm not buying any DLC until they give me Castle Combe, but I think they're planning on releasing a lot of stuff as DLC so I'm expecting to see most of the Touring Car Championship tracks in at some point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

simosimo posted:

Ah castle Combe, I wasn't gonna mention it but what a great little track. Sort of reminds me of thruxton. Unless I'm mistaken, p.cars is the first 'commercial' finished game to include Snetteron/oulton park for a LONG time. It took a while but brands hatch is finally getting the exposure it deserves pretty regularly in games now. I'd take a million brands over silverstones.

If they do more uk tracks hopefully people will realise how fun knock hill can be. It's good to finally be out of the rfactor-mods-or bust era!

I've never seen Snetterton or Oulton Park before having played a LOT of racing games and Oulton Park especially is one I really like. Though my first race on it was with Caterhams which are endless fun to throw around. Castle Combe was in one game, either a Gran Turismo or GRID or possibly as far back as Race Driver 3. I know I've raced on it before, as I love how fast most of the track is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

simosimo posted:

Indeed, we have some good tracks here, let's hope the devs build on the base game to make a solid platform for years to come, rather than working on a second game. The game will look pretty for years, so here's hoping??

While I wait for my wheel, has anyone got some good AI stories? I got this game pretty much thanks to watching gameplay videos, I'm not really interested too much in MP racing as I know how that can go [Turn one]. But one thing that sold me was during a race, I noticed Ai cars overtaking eachother, and actively avoiding certain situations.

I had to double check to see if the vids were definitely singleplayer, but really impressed overall. Even playing a few races with my pad I do notice AI's going wide and contact with them produces spins. IMO if AI are on train tracks and never make mistakes I really turn sour on a game no matter how good it is [see GT6]

Maybe it's just me but I just feel :3 when I see two ai's gently caress eachother over. Another thing i've never seen before is when you're on a straight, an AI car overtook me, meaning he didn't take the corner slow, and BETTER THAN ME. Unlike all other games where they break too early. I need this wheel now.

I saw an AI car turn slightly into an opponent in front of me and just nudged their back wheel causing them to spin out far into the gravel. I laughed. I laughed less when an AI pulled the same trick on me in a kart race. AIs will also slipstream your rear end on straights, and while they'll work to block your overtakes, they won't do so if doing so guarantees you're going to rear end them. They have actual self-preservation which is rare for racing game AI.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I said come in! posted:

So I guess PCARS sold about 85,000 copies on PC so far. SMS was up front from the start that the console sales would likely be the bulk of this games sales. I think that's probably true. For what it's worth Need for Speed Shift was one of the best selling racing games of last gen, so I think PCARS will be fine.

It was top of the UK physical sales chart this week, the first racing game to do so since GRID 2. Not exactly distinguished company but hey its something. I think just the novelty of a racing sim that isn't Forza or GT was good enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I changed my assist from all to real since I was feeling things were a little easy and the next race I failed to put in a valid qualifying lap and blew my engine in the race. This might take some time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Driving with assists off for the first time has forced me to learn analog acceleration and braking and I have to say getting those right has made karts a lot more fun to drive. I'm still not really having problems with my controller though, but I do wonder how much money Logitech are making off this game with seemingly everyone buying wheels.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Popete posted:

Alright hopefully its just car shock moving away from karts. I just had my first race in a "real" car doing an all Ford Focus race. It feels like I'm driving a semi truck, the car floats all over the corners. I can't seem to figure it out but it feels completely unnatural. Am I missing something? Or is this how all the actual cars drive in this game? I have all the assists set to real but I was dominating the karts just fine.

I had a race in a Megane last night and that thing does not enjoy going round corners. Just a miserable thing to drive on a racetrack. It seems to be a thing with the smaller road cars. Makes me thankful my first non-kart race was in a BMW GT car.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I said come in! posted:

They are very easy and quick tracks to do, making it perfect for casual play against random players.

Snetterton's final corner gives me nightmares.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ethanol posted:

it gets better gently caress around with it

On this note I just found a Steam guide on controller settings, copied its numbers into my game and suddenly the GT5 car I've been having nightmares with is somewhat controllable now. Still spins out whenever anyone looks at it harshly but I managed to make a few laps of Oulton before poo poo went fuckwards. Then in the race I hit the throttle a little too hard and span on the grid. Thankfully it was the last race of the series so I never have to do that poo poo again.

ethanol posted:

counterpoint: buy a wheel

I'm probably gonna do this when I get my 10 year bonus from work in July, I've really taken to the cockpit camera which I've never used for any period of time in any racing game before.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 14, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The one constant I've seen with controller setups is put all deadzones down to 0 unless your controller is really old and beaten up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nostratic posted:

Is there a retard's guide to career mode? Because I'm tired of racing lawnmowers. I'm in season 2 and burned out on the kartzzzzzzzz and have no idea how to progress aside from grinding away at races.

And I'm supposed to see invites on the calendar automatically, right? I've gotten a ton of them and none have made an appearance yet even after I searched the calendar.

When you get an invitational it'll automatically stop as your next event when it's time. As for career progression I'm pretty sure if you start in Kart 1 you need to go through Superkarts to keep moving up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

widespread posted:

Did you, by chance, crash at 90+ MPH? Because I actually managed to break my front wheel off on the Monaco track via going 90+ headlong into a concrete barrier.

I did the same thing in a RUF at Road America, though to be fair I really wasn't paying attention.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Damage is something that seriously needs better indicating. The amount of times I've been in kart races and run off the track a few times or had a couple of minor collisions and then just suddenly the engine blown message pops up with no warning.

In better news I finally had enough of stagnating in kart racing and restarted my career in Formula Rookie and holy poo poo these things are fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Where can I change MP/H to KM/h?

In the options, under onscreen guides and display change units from imperial to metric. Or use the cockpit view, most every car's speedo uses KM/h.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jovial Cow posted:

So I was quite pleased with moving from a cart to a caterham, and now after I've got my first taste of the 1M coupe hot drat I get the sense I'm going to like this game. "steering" out of the corners by manipulating the throttle in that car is a supremely satisfying experience and I'm only using a gamepad. I can only imagine how awesome it is for you folks with wheels and pedals.

Just wait until you reach Formula Rookie, literally the most fun I've ever had playing a sim racer. Though in 8 sessions with the thing I've never gotten the front right tyre to warm up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Since I've been really enjoying Formula Rookie I went and looked at the championship length for the totally-not-Formula-1 championship and holy poo poo that's some step up in race length.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Smelly posted:

I just started Formula Rookie myself and having a blast. Especially after those damned superkarts.

Are the other formulas just as fun as rookie? If not I'll probably just stay in this for another season or so.

I went out on Brands Hatch in a Formula C car to try it out and spend nearly half an hour just driving around because it was so much fun, it's basically a faster more agile FR car that'll punish you much harder if you try and push it too hard with cold tyres. But the Formula A championship is 19 rounds, and at 70% length races are 40-60 laps so it's gonna be some time investment. It's weird when I remember playing Formula 1 '97 as a kid and being baffled by the idea of someone doing a 70 lap race and now I'm salivating at the idea of doing 60 laps of Laguna Seca.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 20, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Smelly posted:

Did you jump straight into a race or start in practice? The bigger cars tend to have more momentum and are harder to turn, but a few minutes in practice you'll eventually get the feel for them.

Just keep in mind that practice has you start with cold tires which I feel have a bigger impact on the cars than the carts.

Never skip practice. You need to spend some time getting laps done before moving to qualifying if you're ever going to get the higher positions in time. In Formula Rookie the car feels really stiff on the first lap or so of practice but when the brakes and tires warm up everything seems to loosen up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

Apparently the flood gates are open after Superkarts (only if you win a lot?) for you Zero to Hero pursuers out there. I can sign contracts for: Superkarts (renewal), GT3, UK Clio Cup (first touring one) x2, Formula Rookie x2, Formula C x2, LMP3 Semi Pro, and LMP2. As far as I can tell, there's no benefit for jumping ahead to complete the Zero to Hero quicker (doesn't track how many seasons it took for e-peen measurements) though so I'm probably just going to continue on to Formula Rookie (tested both those and the Clio awhile ago and vehicle-wise Formula Rookie seems like the clear winner).

I think this is good if you're already familiar with the diciplines. Being able to skip the FR cars to go straight to FC is gonna make trying to get the achievement less horrific, though it'll still mean either going through FA or Endurance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Essobie posted:

I was looking through the profile stuff last night as I finished the first Kart season and the only thing available at that point was Superkarts. I think there are achievements associated with doing Zero to Hero in a maximum number of seasons... I think it's like "win an LMP2 championship in 12 seasons or less starting from Tier 8" or something.

But if I recall correctly, the counter on the seasons (and this is after I had just finished one) said 0/12. Sooooo probably bugged?

I was looking through the game's achievements yesterday and there's no achievement for doing Zero to Hero in under 10 seasons. There is an achievement for driving the 3 Azure Coast tracks at the speed limit (50kmh) though. There's one for completing a race on Azure Circuit from cockpit view driving entirely in reverse without colliding with anything too.

I love stupid achievements.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 21, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gyre posted:

I am a baby who bought this on a whim and plays on novice (PS4) and I'd like to get better, what are some things I should know about Serious Driving™ to improve myself?

PSN = Imperiled_War

Disable the guiding line and ABS (I still use turn indicators), get used to analog braking and acceleration, never go out on the track with a full tank of fuel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Smelly posted:

I don't think there's anyway currently to save your hud layout.

As far as the race, are you running your practice and qualifications? If not you really should. Even just 10 minutes in practice will help you dial in your line so that you can get a good time in the quals.

Try not to pass them in that first turn, hang back and pass them once they've actually formed a race line.

They will slam you if you're braking hard into turns. It helps to lay off the throttle before the turn and try to brake smoothly if you have to.

Yeah, get right behind opponents and don't try to pass everyone at once. If you get greedy or misjudge your clearance you'll end up without a wheel 90% of the time in open wheel cars. You will end up having to go slower than you want while waiting for an opportunity to pass so bear that in mind.

With the HUD all I want is to not have to quit the session and go to the options screen to reenable it after using observe mode in practice and qualifying because that makes it turn off for some reason.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

That said, I also second the opinion you should also being doing Practice/Qualifying (especially for a new car or track, never mind that sometimes minor setup tweaks can shave seconds off your lap times because the Defaults occasionally have terrible gear ratios or something else silly) such that you shouldn't have to deal with starting from mid-to-deep pack anyway. I've recently been contemplating bumping the AI up to 90 or 100 because of how often I'm now able to qualify on the pole (or just off of it) and roll to victory without ever dropping a spot (the inconsistency of AI depending on car/track being the main deterrent as there seems to be occasionally large variance between invitationals and I don't want to change difficulty every race :effort:).

You can bind a key to cycle HUD elements (was left D-pad by default on my controller for me I believe), it goes: full HUD, full minus HUD rear-view mirror, just speedometer, telemetry, no-UI at all. It works to bring back the HUD without exiting out when it gets cleared during Practice/Qualifying (and, yes, pretty sure the bug is tied to using the Monitor to watch other cars).

OK the HUD cycle key is a revelation to me, maybe now I'll actually use the monitor. As for difficulty I've taken to just bumping it up slightly when I'm completely dominating every race in my main discipline and then just letting invitationals go how they will because I don't think there's any punishment for doing badly in invitationals so long as you're doing well in your actual contract. I'm up to 70 right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm begging at this point for someone to offer me a contract in Formula C, I came second in the Formula Rookie world championship and my contract offers were yet another Formula Rookie season or a step down to Superkarts.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I love the Caterham R500, a souped up version of the 7.

I can barely control the 7 so a more powerful version is a terrifying concept.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GramCracker posted:

Anyone else doing Formula Rookie? Tried starting a career with Karts and gave up, restarted a career in FR and it's an absolute blast to drive.

I'm working through my 3rd FR season right now, no-one's offering me a Formula C contract.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Odd. I got offers for almost all the GT series, Formula Gulf, LMP2, and multiple formula c offers. I've done carts, supercarts and formula rookie, a single season of each.

Are you skipping the invitationals?

I did start skipping invitationals when they had horrible cars to drive in, so basically any historic touring car event or road event.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

dirtyfrog posted:

Here's a Sharefactory vid I did of my "incident" at Monaco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zGivv8U1u8

I'm suddenly remembering all the reviews that praised the game's AI.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

Drivatars are based on your driving cleanliness over time, if you crash a lot into surrounding traffic, so will they.

And since that's all most people do in racing games online.....

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nostratic posted:

Yeah, it hasn't really impressed me as being any better than any other racing game. I quit an invitational yesterday because I couldn't get even a vaguely clean lap even in practice. Guys just cutting the poo poo out of corners and then plowing into me when they reenter the track, getting slammed into while passing... It was way worse than even playing with noobs online.

I was impressed early on because cars seemed to respect your track space and wouldn't intentionally side swipe you if you had the inside line going into a corner but the more I play the more the cracks are showing. I lost a race yesterday because going into a corner a car turned right into me and we both ended up spinning out. Combine that with blue flag warnings when there are no cars anywhere near you and the game being seemingly unable to handle the data of a 30 car race (I once was ranked 1st of 19 in a 30 car race where I finished 6th) there are a lot of problems that really need sorting out. I've been warned about track cutting when on the first corner of out laps, had other cars completely lose their collision detection and drive right through me and multiple times seen cars completely disappear when exiting the pits. To my mind some of these aren't small little bugs and I'd have expected at least some updates to try and fix stuff this long after release.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

You likely finished 6th due to time penalties.

No, I finished 6th on the track (I could see the 5 in front of me) but in the post race results screen and on the HUD it said I was 1st.

While we're on things I'd like to see I want a single season option, just pick a discipline and play through the season outside the career mode.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Everything Ian Bell (he is the head of slightly mad studios) ever says. He has a bit of a ego, but at least he can back that up with producing really great games.

So he's the anti-Molyneux?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Falken posted:

I now know the struggle of the F1 driver.

In the Nurburgring race, my race engineer would talk to me at the end of the second sector, which happened to be in the braking zone for the chicane, which put me off a few times.

Also, he demanded that I come in for fuel, and the "PIT IN NOW" window was stuck up on my HUD and I couldn't get rid of it.

Wish I didn't agree to work monday, otherwise I would have raced for longer :(

I have spun out and run wide on corners multiple times because my engineer wouldn't shut the gently caress up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

AnimalChin posted:

I'm pretty sure the race engineer in Project CARS is someones drunk uncle.

No in my experience drunk uncles are usually fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

I want Brian Blessed

YOU'VE GOT A CAR ON YOUR TAIL, DON'T LET THE BASTARD CATCH YOU

• Locked thread