Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Need a replacement battery for a 2003 350z touring. Are interstate batteries good these days? If not who is a good manufacturer? Some brief googling leads me to believe that Costco interstate batteries are not actually interstate or are lower quality. Any truth to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I'm replacing my tires on my Scion tC. It's a boring commuter car for me.
The guy at Costco tires is telling me that the tires I'm looking at are :alarm: NOT Z RATED :alarm: and thus will totally kill me because the grip will decrease and ruin my stopping distance.

So, uh, are V rated tires going to kill me on my commute or is the guy maybe exaggerating a little?

That rating is for the top speed of the tire not it's grip.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm looking at brz / ft86 / frs etc as a new or possibly used car. They don't seem to have any massive issues from a quick google search, have I missed anything?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Helping my dad pick tires for his 2003 350z touring. It's sitting on 225/45-18s front and 245/45-18s in the back. Wheels are rpf1s, 18x8.5 +30mm offset front and 18x9.5 +15mm offset rear.

I was thinking 245/40-18 and 275/40-18 Michelin pilot sports but am worried about rubbing. Stock suspension, no desire to lower it or roll the fenders.

Searching the internet says it's fine but I have little faith in other car forums. Anyone in ai with a 350z who could chime in or know someone I could pm?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

My cousins 2013 kia forte ex just blew up. Looks like a common issue, and the dealers quoting 7k for a 85k mile engine installed.

Anyone have a good source for used kia engines or remans that aren't horrible? I know where to go for say honda engines but kias aren't my area.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

bergeoisie posted:

So you'd recommend something like this BMW M one day class instead? I think Porsche has something similar too?

There's tons of them, some manufacturer specific, a lot based at a home track. Performance driving school would be a good search term.

https://www.skipbarber.com/

https://midohio.com/courses/high-performance/3-day-high-performance-course

For examples.

Given a choice between a Ferrari on the street and a track day in a Ford Taurus I'd do the track day.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

STR posted:

Contact Kia corporate. There's an active recall on a whole slew of Hyundai and Kia engines for knocking/blowing up/failing/etc. The dealer should know drat well about the recall, I'm sure they've done dozens, if not hundreds, of them by now. They don't LIKE doing them because (a) they don't get paid as much for warranty/recall work and (b) they have to build the engines there, I don't think Kia supplies an assembled long block to them. So long as your cousin has kept good records of oil changes and maintenance, Kia should take care of him.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34882987/kia-recall-fire-risk-engine-damage/

Very aware of the recall but they did not stay on top of the maintenance.

This is also thr main issue with just swapping it. I can find junkyard engines for 1500-2500 but it seems high risk of the same thing again.

Rebuilds are available but for example a 3k advanced auto one has a maximum $500 for warranty labor for a professional shop and $250 max for diy. Lol.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I forget who but someone in AI has one that's their tow and rally support vehicle and is a big fan of it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Our 2014 Prius C suspension is shot but I did not realize how bad it was until driving a friends that was like driving a cloud. On suspension replacements at a shop, what is typically replaced? I know you can buy just the strut or the entire assembly. Is just the strut typically replaced and the coil kept? Is the cost minor and I shouldn't worry about replacing the entire thing? We only have 70k miles on it. What other parts of the suspension replacement should be done as long as we're doing this? What can we skip? Anything that will try to get upsold we can avoid?

Mechanics love quick struts (shock and spring combo pre assembled). They're more $ than just shocks but often thats made up in reduced labor.

I'd want to look under the car before ordering parts. Take it to a couple shops, tell them what you told us and that you'd like it inspected and an itemized quote. If they don't want to do that find another shop. If they want to charge an hour labor for the inspection that's fair. Ask that it's applied as a credit if you bring it back to them for the repairs.

Post quotes.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for / experience with some kind of sheet metal formable type of heat shielding? I'm looking to put a few rivnuts into the rail and have it mostly support itself.

Bent aluminum with that gold reflective sticker usually works pretty well.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Inner Light posted:

What I have heard on these here forums and Reddit is that the majority of shops use ugga duggas / dak daks with absolutely no limiter or torque wrench for putting wheels on. Does this jive with what others know to be the Truth In Reality, even at dealer service departments?

It's really down to the individual mechanics. If you're flat rate and think you're cool you ugga dugga. If you belive torque sticks work you ugga dugga dugga. If it's your first job you do what youre told / what the people around you do.

He did the job quickly and the customer hasn't complained = good employee until its a problem.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Feral Integral posted:

What should I buy for like 20-25k something smallish and/or hatchbackey, OK on gas and still a little sporty and quick? Used to drive a manual Honda fit which I really enjoyed until it was destroyed by a wild beast. Always wanted a turbo but gas prices are making me rethink that. Test drove a 2018 mazda 3 touring which had that quickness i like but I wasnt a fan of the dinky feeling entertainment console or the boring interior

If you're cool with 2 seats a miata or brz/ft86/frs. I went for the brz and it's avg 25mpg combined and 5 years in I still love it. Head unit suckkkks is my only complaint.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m having a very intermittent but troublesome problem with my 2013 Toyota Camry. It’s an older car but has rather low mileage at 65,000 and is in good maintenance without other known issues. I think this problem correlates with the temperature, because both times that it’s occurred it’s been over 90 degrees out, but I can’t say that for certain.

Basically, the engine dies. If you wait a while, the car will start again and run fine.

To go into more detail, last summer, my car engine died while my girlfriend was trying to park it after driving on a very hot day. She ended up coasting into a curb and throwing the brakes on. We had the car towed to a shop, and it started fine. They said they couldn’t diagnose any issue with the car. I took it back, drove it home, and drove it as usual for a whole year.

Then, last weekend, I went on a trip that involved about three hours of driving. Another hot day. We stopped at a rest stop, and when we came back to the car, it wouldn’t start. The battery was working fine, all the accessories power on and such, and the engine will cycle a bit, but can’t fully turn over. By past experience, we decided to wait a bit before calling a tow. We gave it forty minutes or so, but still couldn’t get it to start. (Notably, the car was sitting in the hot sun during this time.)

So we called a tow. When it got to the shop, the car was running fine. They said there were no error codes in the computer and no visible issue with the engine. So, we took the car and tried to finish the trip. About an hour later, the engine died while driving on the interstate. I pulled over onto the shoulder and called another tow. We waited around for an hour or so and couldn’t get any answer about whether our tow was coming or not, and it was getting dark, so we decided to chance it. Started the car and drive another hour without further issue.

We completed the full drive home on the same route with no problem two days later. I’ve been driving it daily since then without issue.

I don’t really know anything about cars. I’m planning to take it in for an oil change soon, and I’d like to be able to inquire about this problem, but I don’t know what to ask. The coolant level is good. The behavior kind of sounds like an alternator issue, but it’s so infrequent that I don’t think that would be it. It also might be that there’s a hose somewhere expanding under heat and breaking a seal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Some quick googling suggests a possible fuel pump issue.

I searched "camry crank no start when hot"

A couple easy tests. See if you can hear the fuel pump wirrr for a couple seconds when you turn the key to the run position but don't start it.

If you can, next time it dies repeat that test.

Option b, have something flammable in a can in the car. Brake clean works well. When it dies find a place after the maf on the air intake where you can spray some in. Then crank. If it sputters and sounds like it's trying to start its a fuel issue.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

diadem posted:

So, I'm an idiot and went through one of those touchless car washes and chose the "hot wax" option. Now there's a bunch of bubbles of cold wax on my windshield that is annoying in certain light conditions that I can't just spray off with a garden hose/squeeze/etc. Is there an easy way to fix this that won't damage my windshield or take forever (even if it's something as simple as 409)?

Glass is extremely hard to hurt chemically. Brake clean, acetone, alcohol etc should all work fine. Just keep it off the paint. Wet the rag or paper towels and then rub the glass.

This will gently caress up tint so exterior use only.

If that doesn't work use a razor blade.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Also safe to drive is up to you. Not enough info on our end. If it starts pull hard or feel like somethings flopping around stop and get a tow. It will be both safer and usually cheaper to fix vs limping it to failure.

Also great time to make sure your spare has the correct air pressure. Flat + flat spare sucks.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Duuk posted:

Found out today that Hyundai/Kia are involved in a class action suit over engine oil consumption.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...il-consumption/

Supposedly this is a common issue with their engines? Although the suit only lists certain vehicles, chances are the same engines are used in all their cars?
Would that include the 1.5l T-GDI sold in the i30/Ceed in Europe?
Would it include the Smartstream G1.6T (G4FP) in the i20N?

Because if so, poo poo.

Naively entertaining the thought that it might not include the i20N, anything else in that car likely to poo poo the bed spectacularly? If I bought it, I'd want to keep it for many years.

Maybe but the one I've recently dug into was the theta engine. It's a poo poo show. Like I could buy my cousins blown up 07 kia for $500 to swap and flip but people need engines so badly that the price has gotten ridiculous.

Do you have one and are worried or are you looking at one? If you're looking walk away. They're currently in deny everything to prevent more class actions and recalls mode.

Be extra careful if used. Kia corporate told my cousin that as the second owner she got half warranty for milage. That 100k limit was now 50k iirc. It popped just over 100k but "you weren't a little over warranty you 50k past it"

I've got this thread bookmarked after kramering in here with kia wtf questions.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

STR posted:

The class action lawsuit turned that into a lifetime engine warranty, so long as it doesn't show signs of neglect (and they can show proof of maintenance).

Your cousin got hosed. Kia knows they can get away with this poo poo, so they try to every chance they get. If your cousin still has the car, https://ksupport.kiausa.com/ConsumerAffairs/Request/NewRequestThetaClass/

More info here.

Cousin with the help of her dad, and me providing technical support went a few rounds with the local dealer, nada. Then a few rounds with kia the corporation. It was looking good there for a bit. Not an instant no, sent maintenance records etc. Got elevated to a higher level and that's when the half warranty poo poo came up. Got a firm NO.

They're talking to a lawyer but the lack of updates makes me think its over. I think they're going honda next.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 1, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Could be a dead cell or a bad connection in the battery. Voltage is fine but it falls on its face when you try to crank. This is often the cause when jumping fixes it.

Were the terminals clamps clean? That's another cause.

If you're grounding to the chassis or engine when jumping it can also be a rusty ground bolt.

hosed up new battery is always possible.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've got a battery tender I use for this, the really cheap $30 one and it's great. You get quick disconnect pigtails for them. I have one wired to my accord with the business end hanging out the front bumper. Keeps it topped up without losing all the clock and radio settings etc.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hadlock posted:

If it's 95F how long does it take a 4 cyl 2L engine to come up to temp

I know iron has a tremendous amount of heat capacity but I feel like the heat soak at 95F is a lot different than say michigan in the winter

A surprisingly long time. Driving a car with aftermarket oil and water temp gauges vs the stock temp gauge about 3x when your dash says normal. Weather will effect that too.

Uthor posted:

Don't think it's a problem but:
Car sat all weekend. It was very humid. Driving to work this morning, I tapped the AC and a bunch of what look like steam came out. Let it go for about 15 seconds, turned it off for a minute, turned it back on, nothing. Didn't smell anything. Seemed to cool just fine.

I'm guessing a bunch of water build-up getting blown out?

https://youtu.be/CQGW46B6x_4

Basically your car hit the spot where you can see your breath in the winter, it's fine.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I think early miatas did have okish oil pressure gauges and they got updated to idiot gauges after a sea of complaints.

And yeah putting good ones in cars always turned into a week of calls "omg it did this is it ok what happened"

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

General_Disturbed posted:

I will assume I got a bad master cylinder then and replace the one I already replaced with another one and hope that is the fix. As I said I cannot see how the system could possibly have a leak unless it's the tiniest little hole imaginable. It hasn't lost a drop of fluid since we replaced the master cylinder like 2 weeks ago. And I just replaced the front rotors/pads before that and saw no leaks there. Considering the amount of pressure loss I'm getting I would assume it would be a major leak losing a constant amount of fluid if it somehow had one I haven't seen.

Your master is actually 2 masters in one assembly. Modern setups run the brakes as 2 systems so a single failure won't take the whole thing out.

If it leaks between the two chambers inside the fluid isn't lost but you will get that steady pressure drop.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yes I wasn't clear. I mean I don't see how the system could be leaking -outside- the car. As it's not losing any fluid that I can see. It's the same level in the reservoir as when we installed it 2 weeks prior. And the previous master cylinder I took off wasn't losing fluid either. So it has to be something internal. As the system appears to not be losing fluid. And I don't see how a tiny leak could be causing this great a loss of pressure, if it did have a pinpick hole in a line or something somewhere.

I have done an RMA on the master cylinder we just put on and am rushing a new one to replace it and see if that fixes the issue. Maybe I just had bad luck. Every shop I took it to suggested that I possibly got a faulty master cylinder but none were willing to test mine. And one shop suggested it might be losing pressure in the ABS module. But the only shop I found that would actually examine the vehicle and offer a solution was this one. Guy came out and pumped the pedal for a min and told me he thought he could hear it losing air in the booster so they want me to replace the booster. Every other shop in town is at a 3 week wait before they could even get me an appointment.

A super tiny leak would cause this effect. Your brakes work at very high pressures and even a tiny leak will be felt quickly at the pedal.

So the master is two different cylinders generating pressure in line with each other.

Basically if the very left seal fails you get brake fluid leaking by your feet. All the rest and you get your symptoms.

Your booster just multiplies pedal force. Removing or not having a booster is common in race cars and really old stuff. But getting 100% out of the brakes takes a couple hundred pounds of force on the pedal. The phrase "stand on the brakes" can be taken literally to mean pick your rear end up out of the seat with nothing but force on the brake pedal. And the whole system should be cool with that. Your booster just turns 20lbs force into that 200lbs.

Actually describe your symptoms again. Iirc the pedal sinks under braking and then braking performance falls off. It is restored when you pump the brakes.

Does the pedal sink halfway or all the way?

If halfway does standing on the pedal make it brake more? I could see losing booster assistance behaving like failing braking performance. But usually that presents as a very stiff pedal, needs a lot of force to stop.

Best test. Car off and parked, pump up the brakes. Stand on the pedal. Does it sink slowly now? If yes look to the master.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Either bad piston seal(s) in the master allowing bleed-through, crap in the bore, or you have a little air in the lines somewhere...although the air issue would have shown up immediately after you installed the new master/bled the brakes.

You may have air in the ABS block, which is a bitch to remove unless you have an OBDII reader with the ABS block bleed function...I bought one when working on my neighbor's brake issue & kept it because it is nearly impossible to manually bleed an ABS block.

And also just be spongy all the time.

Good luck with the new master. Q

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Quick Question: My new master cylinder has arrived. And in the 'secondary' tank that I don't have access to, it has what looks like a big round plastic piece sitting free in the tank rattling around. Is this something normal? The one I just put on that was faulty definitely didn't have this.

I have taken a quick video clip to show what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm5B_7-vU10

Maybe a weird level sensor? Idk I've never seen anything like that.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Drive it, jack up that corner (or the whole rear end if you have a lsd) and try to spin it by hand.

Hot and smells bad is pretty damning though. This would be more of a confirmation than a oh cool it's OK test.

Do you use the parking brake? Part of that system locking up could cause the same symptoms. If you do you could stop using it and see if the symptoms quit.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

So any one part of the ebrake locking up can cause issues. On most cars it's like the brakes on a bicycle. Steel cable pull style. Once any chunk is rusty enough you can overcome the rustyness in applying it but it won't release.

Generally if you use it all the time its fine but hitting it after years of non use causes an instant cluster gently caress.

Either way once it gets jammed up in the ebrake applied state it makes the brakes drag until they wear down or it releases. You can force it to release by pulling off the drum and manually adjusting it. That's a pain.

It's normally the cables that cause the problem but not always.

Most mechanics wind up with a don't touch the ebrake in any car that isn't yours burned into their soul after a bad experience or two.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Maybe? It was doing the same thing after I messed up doing the other rear brake before I just took it to the shop.

At least this truck is tall enough that I can get under it without jacking it up, that's a nice bonus of working on a truck that I'm not used to. I can get under my Impreza enough to do an oil change without jacking it up but that's it.

E: fixed it, the parking brake line had enough slack (maybe a little too much?) so I backed off the pre-adjustment until with the parking brake on there was a little friction and with it off there was none. Went for a ~8 mile test drive including some highway driving and some hard braking on back roads and the wheel is cool to the touch when it used to be warm after about 5 miles. Also found an empty parking lot and backed up and braked a few times to give the adjustment a chance to get just right. I'm going to carry a jack, stands, wrench, crowbar, and pliers for a while in case it gets bad again I can find an O'Reilly's parking lot or something to fix it.

Also if anyone is looking for coveralls and is willing to pay a premium the Truewerk coveralls are fantastic, I had some bought for me and they allow full easy motion, are very comfortable, and keep me clean.

That's awesome. The problem is at least narrowed down quite a lot. Usually a siezed cable makes getting the drum off a total nightmare. Have you used the parking brake since? The problem will normally pop right back up if you do.

Options would be quit using the parking brake or the other is replace the cables. It's kind of a pain and there will probably be some broken bolts. It's a fairly simple system so you don't necessarily have to get any snapped bolts out but will want to put some kind of support near where they broke. P clips or zip ties would be fine. Just need the cables to not drag or rub anything they shouldn't.

Functional vs restoration math on that one.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was recharged about 3 months ago because while it was cooling, it wasn’t cooling very well. No other AC service has been done as far as I know. The AC works fine right now, it’s just the dust whenever I put the fan to max for the first time in the day.

I’m just worried the residue is something dangerous to breathe like aluminum oxide like I see some suggesting from googling the same problem.

Are you sure it's dust and not just water vapor?

If you full blast the fan but ac off does it still happen?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

I've got a 2010 Nissan Frontier with a bunch of aftermarket poo poo on it from the PO. They were installed by a professional installer but I think he might have been an idiot, because when the PO went back to complain about "random beeping" from the kenwood/garmin console the installer was like "idk man maybe a ground loop or something" (the thing was beeping on purpose, a "speed warning" that I found and disabled within hours of owning the car).

My issue is this: If I don't drive the car for a week, the battery completely empties itself. I went out and bought a little battery jumper thing (an
Audew 1500A Peak 18000mAh 12V Car Jump Starter) so it isn't that big of a hassle to jump it myself every time I need to use it, but I feel like this workflow might be bad for the car or something.

The specific aftermarket poo poo that could be the culprit:
* A "Viper" car alarm
* A Kenwood/Garmin stereo

My question is: What should I actually do to solve this problem? Is it okay to just keep jumping it every couple of weeks or am I putting unnecessary wear on the car? Also, can I just disconnect the stupid alarm or will that disable the truck ~for security~ or some dumb poo poo?

Driving the pickup more often is not on the table. I work from home and I just plain don't need it very often, and I'm not going to waste a bunch of gas on spurious trips just to top the battery back up.

Alternators are not designed to bring drained batteries back to life. Once in a blue moon is fine but every 2 weeks will wear it out.

The viper probably has an option for a fuel pump disconnect. That doesn't mean it was hooked up though. Pull it's fuse and try to start it. You'll know real quick. There should be 1 or more inline fuses in the wiring coming out of its black box.

Putting it on a trickle charger will work great. My beater sits long enough to have a similar issue and it's on a trickle charger right now.

If you do want to find the parasitic draw this is awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/ESI-310-Fuse...la-492421492984

Car off, pull a fuse, pluh it in. It will show how many amps its pulling. Makes narrowing down the general thing (radio or alarm or other) pretty easy. Why that thing is the drain will still suck though.

It's probably the alarm.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Sipher posted:

Hey all -

I ordered a set of track pads, and new dedicated rotors for my next HPDE event. Front rotors are backordered, and may not be here in time. What prep, if any, do I need to do to my current rotors if I need to use them with the new track pads? They're fairly new, two events and a couple thousand miles on them.

Thanks!

I'd skuff them up with some coarse sandpaper by hand. The transfer layer is pretty tough so you'll have to lean on it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

RadioPassive posted:

2007 Ford focus, I replaced the same rear wheel bearing myself two times in 12,000 miles, and it’s making noise again. What causes wheel bearings to fail early?

Agree with lovely parts unless you're tracking with slicks.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

epswing posted:

The heat shield under my '07 Accord gave up, fell onto the exhaust, lots of rattling, etc. I removed it. Is this a critical part and I shouldn't drive the car until it's fixed?

(it's all banged up because I had to deform it a bit to get it out)

I've lost count of how many rusty rattling heat shields I've torn off cars but so far it's never been an issue. I kinda wonder if they're more to hold heat in the cat than to protect the car.

Seconding exhaust wrap if you're worried about it. It's cheap and easy. It will hold moisture when cool so faster rusting of the component it's on but probably not super noticable. Also its got fiberglass in it so soak it in water before you put it on, wear gloves, and take a cold shower / change and wash your clothes right after.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

ryanrs posted:

Yes, this is the only reason I haven't already done it myself.

BTW, when you mention things like finding a threaded coupling, or capping a radiator hose, are you using those as examples of why this job is so hard, or why this job is so easy?

For real, it's an a/c line on a Toyota minivan. Every piece of tube is available from the dealer for $150 (per tube).

e: I am super skeptical that this job is some scary science project repair. But if so, why is that the case? Shops must repair or replace a/c lines fairly regularly, right? Like after a collision?

I'd guess why it's complicated. Ac connections are AFAIK ac specific and there isn't really a common enough use case for plugs or caps to be available off the shelf.

I'm not an ac person though so just speculation.

Stores that do hydraulic lines like the Parker store often make custom ac lines too. If you can find a spot to loop it you could probably get them to make you one.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

My 15 BRZ has a broken valve spring. Since they have to drop the engine to do them, I'm having them all done.

After the wallet weight reduction mod is done, is there a new break in period like I would have on a new car?

AFAIK valve springs won't cause any of the reasons for a break in period. Most of it is seating the piston rings. They're already done so...

The springs aren't machined spinny bits inside other machined spinny bit holes either so shouldn't cause any excess metal in the oil.

I doubt doing it one way vs another will make any difference.

I would ask the people doing the work for their $.02 and then following it for warranty purposes alone. Keep all paper work about it and all future maintenance. The FA20 is known for blowing itself up over having to much RTV applied to the timing cover. See all the valve spring recall issues and that dust up about the gr86 that just exploded.

Actually have you checked if you're in the recall / made a stink about that?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Under the threaded part it's a cone. When the cone pulled tight into its home its a very strong connection.

Maybe put your jack under it and press it back up. It won't take much force. Just contact plus a smidgen. Don't pick the car up with it. Then tighten the nut back down. Clean all the rust off the threads with a wire brush, lube it up, and try to remove it again.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

A little more force, go for tighten only. You're jammed up in the loosen direction.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

$150 :smithicide:

Maybe I can return it when I'm done

Anyways I'm a bit confused with the instructions, I am pushing up from the bottom of the tie rod end here.

I set the impact to max speed and try to screw the nut it, but it doesn't go in

1. Are you replacing the outer tie rod? Yes or no. If no is that and alignment an option? Cut it off.

2. You've got the right idea, the jack is pushing in the correct direction. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on from the pics. Zoom out a bit. Is the hub flopping around or is most of the suspension connected still?

3. If it's not flopping around you'll have to jack it up enough to take any slop out of the suspension and get the spring pushing back against the whole assembly.

Raise the jack, try to tighten the nut. Spins? Raise the jack, try again. Keep going back and forth. Just do not pick the car up this way.

Have you got a torch, propane, Mapp gas, etc? Heat the nut if you do.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lot of words is fine.

14 wouldn't but 15 did confirms a ton of rust. If you have a wire wheel that fits in a drill or something like that use it to attack the rust. Get it off the nut and any exposed threads above the nut. Then pb blaster.

What's happened is as the nut backed off more and more rust jammed into the threads and locked the whole thing up.

Stick an extension in the 15mm and work it back and forth until the socket comes off.

It's probably rounded the corners of the nut a bit. Do the wire wheel thing, pb blaster, then try the 14mm. If it's kind of almost going hammer it on. If it's proper hosed you'll have to file or grind it a bit.

The tie rod has to pivot at that joint. This is what's spinning now. The part that's hidden inside the knuckle / hub assembly shouldn't spin though. If you get the tie rod jammed in hard enough it should stop.

Again go for righty tighty. Backing it off more will just jam more rust in.

If you get it to tighten at all without the whole mess spinning, repeat the wire wheel and pb blaster. Loosen it a hair. 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Pb. Tighten. Loosen. Tighten.

That back and forth with drive oil into the threads. Suddenly it'll pop off.

For all other ball joints open with the wire wheel and pb blaster. When you go to remove them if it starts getting hard or the impact bogs down reverse direction. Apply more lube. Work back and forth. Hmm.

Don't feel bad, taking rusted to gently caress suspension apart requires a feel you only learn from personal pain.

NOTE: if all else fails and you decide to cut it off, wait. There's a nut in thr middle of that mess. Break it loose first, then cut. If you don't there will be a worse spinning hell. The inner and outer tie rod thread together. There's a jam nut in between them. LOOSEN IT FIRST THEN CUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm in Maine, and this is a 2010 car. I only really started owning this car in 2020 when I bought it off my cheating ex-wife for $500, and it has 251k miles on the engine (was probably around 200-220k when I bought it). So, I already know doing anything would probably be rustzilla, but I guess I had expected to just kind of power through it.

That's kind of another thing, I can't afford a new car (and I'm not financially burdening myself with getting a new car when I'm not the person who'd end up using it the most, that's just stupid) I can afford to toss a hundred or two every so often to do repairs on my own, and I figure I need to learn these skills anyways, I may as well do it with a car that doesn't have much trade-in value to begin with. Though, this project itself is kind of getting more expensive than I expected, I do have a cutoff, if it ends up costing more than say, $1000 collectively then it stops being a "well I'll have the car fixed once these parts come in" and instead changes into "it'll get fixed when I get around to it, which could be several months from now as I slowly replace each part one by one"

I just wish I had a loving garage to put this in, but that's not possible either, but at least I have driveway access and a somewhat reasonably flat driveway (kind of...it needs to be redone and to flatten out the frost heaves). Having access to a lift would also be preferable, instead of having get down on my knees, having everything at chest height means I'd have way more angles of attack and way more leverages.

Most of these videos have it on a lift and they just get under the car and attack it from the back, like that last video, and I don't have that privilege, to have the car in a building, that has a $2-5k lift holding up the car, along with several $500+ tool chests and duplicates of duplicates of tools. Now, I technically have access to an air tool with something like a 60 gallon air compressor....at my grandparents house 45m+ away. My grandfather died this year so I can technically have whatever tools he had (in of course, the absolute mess of a workshop where he was collecting spark plugs for some reason, and all the washers are mixed in with other nuts and bolts with zero organization, some in actual pull out bins, and others in coffee tins and everything is covered in 30 coats of oil and grease. I'm sure you can imagine it.)

I can totally see that garage. You wind up saving everything after you can't find the thing you threw away years ago.

Based on your willingness to do the work, the fact it isn't a time based crisis, and an understanding that tools are cheaper than car payments... keep plugging away. $300-500 for an oxy acetylene setup is a huge outlay but it will unfuck everything. Can't be tight if it's a liquid.

None of us hopped from hmm cars? to youtube garage in a day, it just builds up over decades. And when you need it again it's free.