Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
Ugh, got a check engine light in my '13 Audi A4 today. Again. P2188 too rich at idle.

Hope it's something simple like a vacuum hose that gave up the ghost at 91k ish miles and just has to be replaced. It sounds like it could be somewhat challenging to troubleshoot. It's probably minor but just over the sensor threshold because I don't notice any major symptoms. It shakes a tiny bit at idle when hot but I chalked that up to being an old car. The minor shaking goes away when in gear, I only notice it in N or P.

I'll take it to the dealer :( anyone gotten that code?

Do never get early 2010s German cars unless you like lightening your wallet.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkAAMX4aO6w

Could be that, dude is a pro, crazy how much real pros get done in a set amount of time. I see this in any field, any of the home remodeling threads, and stuff like this.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Can anyone recommend a YouTube channel which has a woman presenting cars? My daughter is getting into automobiles and asked if I knew of any, but I can’t think of anything offhand.

Not a channel, but KBB has this lady Lyn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVeaiecB0E8

Their main person is Micah Muzio who also does a great job, and has for years. He's a dude though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Didn't people used to tape the top part of an OEM key to the steering column where the RFID reader is to make installing remote start easier? Obviously very insecure but that may be one thing to do.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

ryanrs posted:

My neighbor has a 2014 Q7 TDI with about 90k miles. At what point do these things become maintenance $$$ nightmares?

Do they become nightmares? I'm assuming yes, but maybe not?

p.s. no I'm not thinking of buying it

Right at around 90k miles. '13 A4. Needed one fuel injector, one motor mount, control arm bushings, and a high pressure fuel pump replacement among other things. Multiple thousands at the dealer.

Oh and both sets of front wheel bearings.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Will a charity or any other service even take a car without title showing you own it? What's stopping you from stealing a car, using it, then scrapping it for more money?

I think I had a totaled car with no comprehensive insurance towed away here and they asked for proof of ownership.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
That's pretty sad for an '08 to be so far gone. Looks like Jeep had particularly bad rustproofing in that era. I have a German car from a few years later in the rust belt, parked outside a lot of the time, and it's nowhere near as bad.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
I had a sidewall get hosed when all tires on my AWD sedan had 8/32nds. I bought a tire from Tire Rack and they shaved it down for a small fee, and it worked great. Would everything probably have been fine if I never shaved it down? Yup but it was peace of mind.

The tire shop that installed it never heard of tire shaving, apparently it used to be done more back in the day, nowadays TR is basically the only place that does it. It's probably unnecessary but car nerds gonna nerd. I would be surprised if a couple mm tread difference would cause a differential failure or significant wear, I just doubt there's dramatically so little tolerance in a normal mass produced automobile. But I'd have to ask a mechanical engineer that works on differentials if my theory is right.

Also it may matter I have a Torsen diff that I assume does not use wheel speed sensors at all, but instead uses the physical speed of the axles? I'm not a mechanical engineer and I haven't spent enough time learning it to get past 'black magic' in my head.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 7, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Is that a loving compass? :lol:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Best way to check if there's an A/C issue worth fixing is to stick a thermometer in the airflow once set to lowest temp right? Not sure of the target temp, though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

DildenAnders posted:

What's the best way to go about selling a car that hasn't been registered in over a year? My sister stopped driving her 1999 Honda Civic because of a lack of available parts for the Takata airbag recall, and now she wants me to sell it for her (she has since moved the car out of state, I have the title but it's still in her name). Also can I get a Honda dealer to perform recall repairs even if the car isn't registered/insured? This is in New York state if it matters.

I doubt a dealer doing repair service will care about either your registration or insurance status. That being said, how are you going to transport the vehicle to/from the dealer?

You can insure a vehicle that is not registered. However I bet if you get into an accident on public roads, they are not gonna cover it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

Popete posted:

Yeah it's too late for that unfortunately. I was thinking it would go up a bit but not 42%, if I knew that I would have just paid out of pocket.

Insurance is such poo poo.

It sucks because you have to trust people to pay out of pocket too. At my advanced age, if I got into a not-at-fault accident, I would probably file a claim with my insurance. It's just lovely for the at-fault person but it means I don't have to deal with potentially a ton of hassle. And it's literally part of what you pay your premiums for.

I moved a few miles in the same city and changing the address for my policy raised my rate by like 30%. :smith: I'm getting other quotes to switch now, and you should too.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 20, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

STR posted:

Just looked at it, it's the valve cover. Again. Going for Dorman over OEM GM, since an OEM one only lasted 2 years before the diaphragm let go again. Also throwing P0106, P0171, P0420, P0507, P1101, and P2270, idling like poo poo, and stumbling off the line. I've never seen fuel trims at +35 before either. :stonkhat: Never change, GM.

It's also doing that horrible fluttering chirp, so it likely needs the intake manifold (which would also explain why it popped the valve cover's diaphragm already), or someone came up with a kit that also moves a check valve out of the intake manifold.

God drat that car sounds like a disaster.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Is buying a battery tender/trickle charger overkill for my situation, or could it be beneficial? I have a normal sedan in a big city, but I don't drive it daily, between 2-5 times a week maybe. However, most of those trips are 1-2 miles, occasionally just under a mile. My concern is none of those trips are probably enough to fully charge the battery, and every time I start the engine it's going to draw significant power.

I will also go on 15-30 minute trips with the car every week or two, but not guaranteed that I will and I don't want to feel obligated to stave off a dead battery.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

I have a 2013 Audi A4, TFSI 4-popper engine. She has about 94k miles now. Maybe a bit hard to see what the picture is of... top is towards the right.

Currently I'm losing about ~1 quart of oil every 1k miles. The dealer following the full oil consumption 'analysis' has unfortunately insisted this is normal expected consumption. It's not a huge deal to me, I'm ok popping a quart in every few fill-ups, but I'm curious what's going on.

Most of it is probably poor piston ring design from this era, but is that an additional leak I'm seeing? Or think that's just road dirt? I know I could clean it up then see if it re-occurs, I haven't tried that yet, wanted to see if others knew just from looking at it.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 5, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Audi A4 TFSI oil consumption question. I mentioned before I'm losing maybe a little less than 1 quart every 1k miles. I'm a little OCD about checking the electronic monitor (no manual dip stick equipped from factory) and it drops pretty fast from max, sits just above min for a long time, and eventually the oil level (not pressure) light comes on.

Is it a good idea to add proactively if around min, or is it perfectly safe to wait for the oil level light, which is probably programmed to around 1 quart too low?

Totally separate issue, I've noticed more than one squeak probably coming from my recently changed brake assemblies. It's also more than 1 side, happens when I hit uneven pavement like a manhole cover. Audi forums suggest it's the 'brake caliper clip'. Hopefully the dealer that changed the brakes will honor some warranty instead of charging me 200 drat bucks to say 'cannot reproduce complaint', gonna find out soon.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 7, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
drat, Doug DeMuro would spend 20 minutes talking about this at least

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
What the hell is this ugga dugga stuff I keep reading about trying to find proper wheel lug torque? I find even Eric O @ South Main Auto will bring up the ugga duggas.

I had a brake job a while back and realized I never got the lugs re-torqued. And who knows if they did it to the proper ft lbs in the first place. I noticed a little more minor steering wheel vibration at 60+ MPH than I'm used to but it could be in my mind.

Gonna buy a torque wrench or be lazy and ask if a shop around here could help me out. I'm sure they won't be thrilled since I didn't do the brake work with them.

Apparently for my car it's gonna be 90 ft lbs.

e: I had a dealer do the brake job which sucks for this reason: if I think there is a problem that could be related to their work, I still have to pay $230 for a diagnostic, and they would refund it only if they found for sure that it was from their work. Real lovely.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 23, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Wow yeah whoever told you that is blatantly incompetent and speaking in confidence about something they're not familiar with, or lying through their teeth.

I thought dealer upsells were a meme and weren't that insane, but it's not over-exaggerated and some of that stuff should just be plain illegal.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to follow this up for anyone curious. Parked the car today with the wheel to one side and yeah it's a CV joint.

Classic! Had the same looking damage with my car but it wasn't making symptoms, I was having it looked at for other stuff and there was a bunch of CV grease everywhere. Sorry man.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
I used Tire Rack shaving and it was a good experience to get peace of mind on ~3 / 32nds difference if I remember right. I am personally skeptical that a small difference like that would cause meaningful AWD differential wear, but decided to do it anyway. Would I have been fine if I didn't get it shaved? Probably.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

Motronic posted:

Also, that shop is trying to upsell you, and likely someone there need three+ good tires in that size.

I never thought about this. Tire shops routinely charge something like ~$10 / tire 'recycling fee' around me. There are probably shops that charge the fee then just turn around and sell the used tires for profit right? Maybe even most of them. They're profiting on a profit! Brilliant.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

Uthor posted:

poo poo, IL doesn't do emissions testing, though Cook County (Chicago) does. I'm always a little surprised when someone says they need to go in for a test. Or has to pay for a city sticker. I haven't had to do either for 20 years. Well, 40 years, since I didn't own a car until after college and I moved south of I-80.

Hmm.... that is not accurate anymore. IL does have statewide emissions testing. They don't seem to give a drat about any other safety aspects of a car whatsoever, no inspection of brakes etc., but they do a quick OBD2 test required every couple years.

https://www2.illinois.gov/epa/topics/air-quality/mobile-sources/Pages/vehicle-emissions-testing.aspx

quote:

Most 1996 and newer gasoline-powered passenger vehicles are subject to emissions inspections after they are four years old (e.g. 2012 vehicles are being inspected in 2016 for the first time). The inspection month coincides with the expiration date of the vehicle license plate. Typically, even model-year vehicles are inspected during even years, and odd model-year vehicles are inspected in odd years.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

Uthor posted:

Huh, first I've heard of it. Putting in my address, the closet place is over 90 miles away, only four locations within 100 miles. All around Joliet. I don't think this applies to Central IL.

Ah my mistake, you were correct originally! The wording is vague and unclear, but upon a reread I can see they focus it only on certain areas in Illinois that are more urban. Go figure.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

Charles posted:

Get a better car.

Don't a significant number of high end German cars have a governor disabled by an extra fee payment? Is there anything the fee is paying for except flipping a bit from a 0 to 1?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Gotta say it depends highly on where you are, too. US has widely varying costs of living, and body shop repairs somewhat follow that elasticity. A lot of goons seem to live in the sticks where costs are low. For example normal dealership labor rates here (I know but it's an easy point of comparison) tend to be around $200-230 per hour. I know for other goons they've quoted dealership rates closer to $100 / hour.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
I like Audis and I've been watching videos from this small time shadetree guy, learned a lot from watching him. He used to work at a dealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2CZWHiLQ6Y&t=241s

At 4:00 help me out here, is he making a joke about those things, that I assume are cats?

He strikes me as extremely skilled otherwise! I know nothing but it's a lot of fun to learn what he's doing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

pnac attack posted:

...he literally says "that was a joke" 20 seconds after the timestamp you lined

I know making them into fuel cells was a joke, but I didn't know for sure if they were cats, that's what I meant lol

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Keeping a car for multiple days without prior authorization or even a phone call update is fairly unheard of in my city, seems like bad form. It would be a quick awkward convo but I would just call them up and say plans changed, and ask for my car back.

I know people find and trust good mechanics, but man is it easy to just drop the drat thing off at a dealership, pay out the rear end, but have the service be generally thorough and competent. My dealer rates are $230 / hour (and they never ever give you a break on book time), but I can admit I've paid those mofos.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

Motronic posted:

Depends on the car and what shape it's in. High strung engines in sports cars generally run like garbage if you baby them all the time. Modern EFI engines in commuter cars shouldn't have issues like this, but also shouldn't break with spirited driving. If anything breaks from that it was going to break anyway.

'Enthusiasts' also talk about it being a thing in Direct Injection only vehicles like the Audi A4, to avoid some of the valve carbon buildup. However, who knows how much of that is complete placebo, it is impossible to tell.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Is there an October chat thread y'all?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
I have an Audi A4, right now it is wearing Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. I purchased them in 2019 and I think put ~18000 miles on them.

Unfortunately, they seem to have worn quite quickly. I think one of them is already at 3/32nds of an inch, and they are all within 1 or 2 32nds. The 'S' in DWS has already worn off as a wear indicator.

Looks like they have a tread warranty for 50000 miles (http://continentaltire.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/789/~/mileage-warranty). But I did not purchase from them directly, I was at a mechanic. Do tire warranties cover you if you got it through a mechanic or whatever instead of the tire company itself?

The only places listed in their 'find a store' dealio are dealers which are like one hundred fun bucks over Tire Rack's prices per tire, so hopefully I did not have to go to their official places.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

simplefish posted:

I've used a tyre mileage warranty before

The mechanic talked to the manufacturer/supplier then gave me a pro-rata credit (e.g. tyre cost $250 new for 50,000mi. Needed replacing at 40,000. Got $50 to use on any make/type of tyre.

Sadly this mechanic is currently out of business lol. They were acquired by a larger chain of mechanic shops. I will call who acquired them and see if they can help out, but I am almost sure they won't. Worth a shot.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
drat they probably require 2/32nds on all 4 tires before replacing and that sounds scary as hell in wet Midwest weather at highway speeds. That’s dumb.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Thanks. I'm considering going back to ContiProContact for the next set. I know the DWS06 are great, but for some reason I feel better with OEM tires, it's what the car was tested with for road noise and all that. Maybe I'm being dumb though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

taqueso posted:

Nothing in a car is actually lifetime, that's just code for "when it needs to be done it's going to be annoying". Not saying it's the filter but don't assume it's unlikely because it's called lifetime.

My '13 Audi A4 (2L TFSI) has lifetime ATF! Who knows when it will keel over and die.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

wesleywillis posted:

Removing the driver's seat in my Corolla, I'm sure there is a torque spec, maybe in my haynes manual, but is there any need for thread locker?
Like does anyone know if standard procedure for replacing a seat is "use (H/M/L? strength) thread locker and torque to (factory spec)?
Or should I just crank them bitches down with my nut fucker and try not to strip or break the bolts?

lol, I am curious what answers you get for this, I wonder about that too. It just strains my imagination to assume that a corner shop doing trim work or whatever would bother to look up torque spec for a driver's seat they removed / replaced, rather than simply torque it down to gutentight.

It's always a concern I have when I get wheels taken off for rotation or whatever, how do I know if they are actually using a torque wrench and looking up the spec for my model? I have to imagine they simply don't, what's the over/under or rough percentage of shops that actually would? I've never worked in a shop so I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation

spankmeister posted:

Most tire shops I've been to have you watch someone check all the wheel nuts/bolts torques when you pick your car up.

How about dealerships, if I pay a F-you rate can I at least trust they won't be careless about this?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
If you truly can't do that, a corner mechanic should at least find the situation funny and maybe charge you 15mins or 30mins book time to use some sort of tool to get at it -- that could be cheaper than new AirPods.

I'm not sure what tool they could use though lol. Probably just need to gently pry the carpet up, and maybe glue it back if it can't be secured back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can you look at Corollas? The thing has an MSRP of like $20k and includes a ton more standard than what you get on Mazda3. Mazda3 is a Better Car but you pay for it and Mazda nickels and dimes to get you into the higher trim. The Touring is missing a lot of niceties that I would like on a daily for $20k in 2021.

e: Worth noting the 2018 Mazda3 Touring had an MSRP (cars in 2018 often sold for less than MSRP) of ~21k. The asking price is $1000 less than this car cost new... really bad deal IMHO.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 7, 2021