Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Safety Dance posted:

The actual reason and the reason the lawmakers understand don't necessarily have to be the same.

Is it an Autozone thing or any shop in California, Hawai'i, etc? If it's the former, could just be a regional store policy for whatever stupid liability reason or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Slavvy posted:

My car takes NGK plug BKR5EY-11. I can get BKR5ES-11 for next to nothing and have fitted those with no apparent issues. What is the purpose of the v-grooved electrode? I remember reading somewhere that it's an anti-fouling measure but I can't imagine how it would make any difference and after several thousand km my plugs aren't fouled at all despite it being an old Toyota.

It's to theoretically control the location of the spark better for ignitability. The spark preferentially goes to edges, so having the V-groove means the spark preferentially sparks towards the center of the plug, rather than all around the edges. It's not an anti-fouling measure.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Slavvy posted:

Will it make any difference if I use one or the other on a 1.3L engine with 88 horsepower and 200,000km?

Maybe if you have a bunch of fancy machinery and test for COV :D

(No)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, if you look at the drive shaft, it should be pretty obvious if it was actually partially sawed.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jakcson posted:

1999 Chrysler Cirrus V6. 166,000 miles. Bought for $1,000, but spent a fair amount of money repairing it since so far it has been cheaper than buying a new car.

I recently took my car to a shop to have it inspected since the "check engine" light came on, and they told me that my o2 sensors and catalytic converter are going bad and need to be replaced. Since they seem to be the original parts, this isn't difficult to believe.

The real question I have is that the mechanic also suggested that it might be a good idea to also replace the spark plugs. Would this be a good idea?

Aside from that, my car seems to more or less run fine, but it is stinky and I sometimes feel the need to drive around with the windows down, just in case.

VVVVV - She should have filed a lawsuit. Mostly against the Uhaul folks that hooked it up in the first place, which violated company policy, resulting in the problems down the road.

Plugs in those car are (almost certainly) nickel and should be cheap to replace. I don't know about that particular engine, but nickel plugs are a couple bucks each and shouldn't take more than a few minutes to change. (Or, certain cylinders could have plugs in very difficult to reach places, in certain engine/vehicle combinations.) Nickel plugs last about 30k miles.

If it smells like fuel then your car is running rich, which is a not-uncommon symptom of a bad O2 sensor. Whether or not the cat needs to be replaced depends on how long and how rich it's been running, but I wouldn't doubt that it's probably been damaged. If it actually smells like fuel inside the car then it may be indicative of an exhaust or fuel leak, both of which can be dangerous.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

CharlesM posted:

Unlike its LH big bro it's a transverse layout so the rear bank might be hard to reach.

Welp! Inline engine supremacy? :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

bolind posted:

Going to do spark plugs on an Opel Astra H 1.6 tonight. Anyone know what the torque spec is?

Edit: OK, this page says 25Nm, so going to go with that.

Looks like you already found it but

Those are basically ISO specs so applicable across all makers.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cage posted:

Anyone know what o2 sensor data is supposed to look like?

From what I can tell they seem to be working fine, the voltage is always somewhere between .1 and .9 which is good I think and its not flatlining so thats also good?

Im chasing a P0133 (passenger upstream o2 slow to respond) and occasional P0153 (driver upstream o2 slow to respond) after installing a mid pipe. No leaks that I can hear, MAF was cleaned last year but Ill give that another shot.

Yes, I do!

And that looks fine and you are correct about how everything should look on the upstream sensor.

Why the P-codes are occurring probably depends on how the ECU defines those codes and what is specifically triggering it. It's curious that it started occurring after you installed a mid pipe because that's post-cat and so shouldn't affect the pre-cat sensor at all.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cage posted:

Er maybe I mixed up my terms. What I installed was the whole catalytic converter assembly, I thought mid-pipe was another name for that oops. Whats goes between the headers and the catback.

Thanks for the heads up that the sensors look good though. I guess Ill clean the MAF next since Im 99% sure there aren't any leaks.

Okay, well then, it's possible that the pipes are of different lengths than OEM and so the travel time from engine -> O2 sensor is longer than the ECU expects.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

some texas redneck posted:

AC Delco? You mean AC Auto, right? :v: AC Delco doesn't actually make (most of) their own parts, BTW, but I would trust them more than a brand I've never heard of.

For future reference, the OEM plugs on your car are just NGK double platinums, which you can get at AutoZone or any other major parts store. Amazon also carries them. If you have the manual, it'll say which ones to use; both Courtesy Nissan's and NGK's websites say PFR5G-11 are the original plug (Courtesy Nissan's parts site also used to carry owner's manuals, not sure if they still do).

Annnnd now I feel stupid, I just looked up plugs for my car - I had ordered AC Delco plugs, since it's a GM, and I ordered the part # in the manual. Just checked NGK's part finder, NGK makes the plug for AC Delco. :downsgun: At least there was a rebate on the AC Delco plugs at the time.

FYI, for recent model years: NGK makes plugs for I4/V6, Denso makes plugs for V8.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
When it comes to rubber, even the color can affect the performance. It is really a pain.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
O2 sensors can be pretty finicky and I wouldn't get anything other than OEM (or OEM equivalent from the same manufacturer) knowing what I know now.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

VelociBacon posted:

Actually the knock sensor controls most of that stuff and you get better/worse mileage because the ignition timing and air:fuel is being adjusted. The O2 sensor only controls open loop poo poo like a:f at idle which doesn't amount to a significant fuel consumption factor.

E: For example at high altitude with the same air:fuel as a lower altitude the engine would knock and the timing would be retarded and more air would be needed to provide the same amount of oxygen per unit volume since it is less dense.

Well open loop strictly means the O2 sensor is not being used to control the engine sooooo....

But no, O2 sensor is constantly being used to control the engine at all conditions after sensor light-off, except maybe if there is some special fueling strategy, like at WOT, for example.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Yinzer posted:

I have a question in regards to parts. Don't they make OEM and aftermarket stuff in the same factory, on the same assembly lines and just stamp in a brand?

I mean you gotta be paying the premium for OEM branding, just seems OEM sounds like BS, Motorcraft and poo poo.

I can only speak for my company from experience, but I imagine almost all companies [who make OEM components are similar]: yes. But the thing with aftermarket is that everything is a bit "looser". For example, there may be a 0.1mm gap difference between two different OEM spark plugs for two different engines, but it's entirely possible that those engines have the same spark plug recommendation in the aftermarket. In addition, OEM parts may have features not immediately apparent that aftermarket parts lack that may or may not affect the performance.

I think of the upcharge with OEM parts as the price you pay for the guarantee that this part was chosen specifically for this engine/vehicle and has been thoroughly validated, etc. When it comes to something like an air filter, okay, validation doesn't mean much, probably. But with much more critical components, it may be worth that extra charge to ensure that the part you're getting is absolutely the right one.

Entangled posted:

Spark plug chat: 400 SBC, multiport EFI, said it misses in overdrive. One plug dark, has newer msd wires / dist / cap / rotor. Motor sat for almost a year. He's wanting to change plugs but I don't see that solving the miss long term. Backfires thru throttle body on cold start sometimes so I can only guess as to what's going on with base timing and advance but without a windows laptop and link up to the computer, it's a mystery. Accel gen7 / dfi6a control. Distributor is so far under the cowl it might as well be in the center console.

On one hand, it's possible that there is something in the electricals (wire/cap/distributor) causing a misfire and that is causing the fouling. On the other hand, ehhh...

Try running a compression test on that cylinder (well, and the others, too)? Looks like oil is getting into the cylinder and fouling the plug.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 31, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
^^^ well if the injector is bad, it can certainly cause a misfire

tater_salad posted:

gapping a plug is pretty easy, you grab a $2 tool, and you can find the specs online no problem for your vehicle.
FYI if your greasemonkey place is charging you more than $20 to replace either of those filters you can do it yourself and save some cash.

Edit: some plugs even come gaped to the right spec for your car.

Don't gap plugs if you've got precious metal plugs, especially with a tool, because you will break the center electrode.

* you can gap precious metal plugs, yes, but you need a set of pin gauges to do it safely without damaging the center electrode. You could probably do it with other types of gauges, but it increases the risk of damage.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

life is killing me posted:

Do precious metal plugs like platinum ones really offer any advantage?

Yes. Platinum is old technology and is basically not as good as iridium and more expensive to boot. Platinum does offer better high temperature oxidation resistance but improvements in center electrode materials have really rendered this a moot point. Get iridium, not platinum. (Unless your OEM is platinum and you'd rather get OEM; but if you're going to buy an aftermarket part and are trying to decide between two similar parts, one platinum and one iridium, go with iridium.)

Precious metal spark plugs basically offer two basic advantages: much longer durability and much better ignitability (which is the speed at which combustion occurs; if ignitability is too low then your engine will misfire, etc.). The better ignitability in turn gives you much more flexibility in your engine (A/F, combustion timing, etc.)

I would agree that you should probably just go with whatever is OEM, but if you do want to use a precious metal plug, it does actually offer real benefits, first and foremost for the consumer being increased durability.

Sigma X posted:

Use OEM or OEM-spec spark plugs and wires. If you car came with single electrode copper plugs, buy those. If it came with dual-electrode iridium-plated plugs, buy those. "Better" plugs, like Iridium or Platinum will burn at different temperatures, and will cause problems with your engine, over time.

How, exactly, do precious metal spark plugs "burn" at different temperatures? It's possible that, on older vehicles, moving from nickel -> precious metal will need spark timing adjustment, but all modern vehicles are capable of adjusting spark timings on their own and moving from nickel -> precious metal will not cause problems with your engine. I know people have all sorts of anecdotes but that's generally the case.

Also, iridium spark plugs aren't "iridium-plated". They're an iridium alloy throughout the tip.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Elmnt80 posted:

While there are some examples of places only swapping a brand, its pretty rare to see it. Almost anything you buy at a parts store or similar is going to be made on a different assembly line or remanufactured by a 3rd party like A1 Cardone.

Are you sure about that? Why would a manufacturer, if they do provide parts for OEM, build an entirely different production line for aftermarket parts?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

When is it a good idea to change to a cooler plug?

I'm running OEM plugs with about 15k on them, but I've been hearing pinging under load ever summer really hit, and mileage has gone to complete poo poo since I started hearing the pinging (I assume the ECU is pulling timing because of the pinging). I did try filling it with 93 octane to see if the pinging goes down, and also to see if mileage goes up (if it goes up, I know the ECU is pulling timing). I'm averaging 19-21 MPG right now.

2006 Saturn Ion, L61 Ecotec 2.2L, 5 speed manual, 119k. Currently has AC Delco iridium plugs in it, the same ones that replaced the part number recommended in the owner's manual (I know they're made by NGK, but AC Delco had a hell of a rebate at the time).

Really stupid followup question - could the engine running a bit on the warm side cause the pinging? The gauge has been sitting a bit higher than usual lately - I know the thermostat spring is broken, and that the thermostat has been stuck roughly halfway open since about November, but since spring it's been running at normal temps until we started breaking 100. It'll occasionally get above the halfway mark if left idling for awhile, and pretty much always sits just below halfway; it used to sit a bit above 1/3.

e: the thermostat gets replaced Sunday, along with the DexShit.

Changing to a colder plug won't hurt your engine; the only risk is fouling (and/or wasting your money if it doesn't help the issue). What part number is your plug, 12620540? 12625058? Either way, if it's 12620540, you can try 12647827 (for Ecotec Gen 2 2.0L T/C LTG) and if it's 12625058, you can try 12642791 (for HFV6 Gen 1). The gaps will be the same.

That said, I don't think a colder plug will fix the issue; spark plug heat range doesn't affect knocking, just pre-ignition, which is different and you'll definitely know if that happens.

The thermostat, on the other hand, definitely could be the fix, because knock has a high correlation with intake air temperature.

And FWIW, it doesn't matter if you bought AC Delco or NGK :)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
The word "ping" can also be used to describe a sound :eng101:

vvv definitely with you there. One thing English is missing is really good onomatopoeias.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 12, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
They really shouldn't be. There is an aging effect in O2 sensors but it's well understood, should be calibrated for, and eventually tops out.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, I don't remember what the AC Delco numbers are but I know what spark plugs go in the engine you've got and I'm telling you what spark plugs you can use to replace them that are one heat range colder. I know you don't have the LTG but I know the plug designs so if you have 12620540, get 12647837 and if you have 12625058, get 12642791 if you're wanting a step colder. I mean, technically, there's differences other than the heat range but they're improvements so you're fine.

So anyway, given that
1. The knocking/pinging occurs at low RPMs
2. Using a higher octane fuel eliminated the problem
I'd say you have knock and not pre-ignition. Knocking is auto-ignition of fuel due to compression, whereas pre-ignition is ignition of fuel from a hot spot in the cylinder (whether spark plug or elsewhere). They have very different pressure traces. A higher octane fuel will, of course, help prevent auto-ignition due to compression (knock) but will do nothing to help against pre-ignition.

Generally, PI will severely damage your engine and given that your car is still running, that's another reason I don't think it's PI.

Also, if your plugs have carbon buildup that's causing them to misfire, you'll get P030X codes for misfires, not the P0420.

See what happens after you fix the thermostat :) You don't want to change the plugs anyway and it's not as if it's too much work to do plugs separately.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are universal O2 sensors worth a gently caress? $13 for a crimp-on 1-wire sensor seems a lot better than $36 for the OE-type but if they don't work right, I guess I could shell out.

Only if your car is red.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

NTK sensors are great, and NTK, AFAIK, is owned by NGK.

It is. But FYI, that there is also another company, called NGK Insulators, that also makes sensors (like NOx sensors). They are a different company from the NGK Spark Plugs that makes spark plugs and NTK sensors. From what I hear, though, NGK sensors aren't too shabby.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

EightBit posted:

O2 sensors are extremely sensitive to bad crimps and wrong materials. You can't solder the connector on or use the wrong metal in the connector or you'll throw off the voltage reading.

If someone did want to crimp their own O2 sensor wires, use this:
http://standards.sae.org/uscar21-3/

Good luck! :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's been, oh, 20000 miles since I rotated my tires!

I bought new tires 5000 miles ago :downs:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think the GTI is slated to get a center console refresh soon so if that's important to you, something to keep in mind.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Anyone have anything bad to say about the 2015 Dodge Dart? I've had one for about 5 or so days while my truck is in the shop and I kinda love the little thing. I'm thinking about maybe getting one.

We have a 14 Dart for a fleet car.

It'll be "great" for about 6 months to a year. The thing feels so worn out now, it's ridiculous. Granted, it is a fleet vehicle, but it has aged considerably worse than our other fleet vehicles (e.g. Malibu, Fusion). Don't buy it.

Also, don't buy Chrysler in general.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
160k miles is not "pretty low miles" unless we're talking about a big rig truck, here.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Aren't they required by law to provide that service so it's not as if they can put up a fight even if they wanted to?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
3-4 are carbon fouled, which means they're not getting up to temperature. The electrodes of 3-4 are likely fine; any difference from 1-2 would be obvious and 1-2 look good for the intended gap size (1.1mm).

It actually looks like plug temperatures are going high -> low from 1 -> 4 based on the amount of fouling (mostly that #1 is much cleaner than #2).

Something is definitely wrong and I'm not enough of a mechanic to tell you what, but replacing plugs won't solve your problem, though you may want to in the end after all is said and done (at least for 3-4). Looks like it's BKR6E11? Should be cheap.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Maybe a little in #4 as well (on the GE).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

spog posted:

Could be a master/slave cylinder fail.

As you slammed on the brakes, they've been pushed much harder than they have been during the previous years of driving.

This is what happened to me. I don't remember any particular hard braking event, but my master cylinder went out and I had barely any braking (but enough to eventually come to a stop). Happened to me on the beltway outside of D.C., which was scary. Fortunately, I was in the far left lane and was able to pull over to the shoulder.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm about to move to a house that only has a small garage and a sloped driveway, but I'd like to be able to work on my cars still. Is it a really dumb idea to park the car so that the side you're going to work on is facing downhill, jack that end up so the car is pretty much level, then work on it? I forget how steep the driveway is, but i don't think it's that bad.

*edit*
I think the garage is going to have too much crap inside to actually fit a car, it's a very small one car garage.

Cthulhuite posted:

There's a reason all jacks say to use them on a level surface. Please don't kill yourself on your crazy sloped driveway :ohdear:

Seconding. It's no joke. Do not use jacks on any sort of sloped surface.

Jacks only provide up/down support; there's no lateral support to speak up. When you're on a sloped surface, gravity doesn't just pull straight down but ends up giving a lateral force as well. (When you're on a flat surface, the lateral component is zero.) Which is why if you jack up your car on a sloped surface (as in, if any part of your car is on a sloped surface), it is incredibly dangerous because your car is liable to move laterally and fall over on you and kill you.

Don't do it.

vvvv This, too. Don't work under a jack. When working on cars, put them up on the proper equipment.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 24, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Work for an automotive supplier that has a full garage with lifts and everything you could need to run dynos/vehicle fleet.

:smug:

It's the only reason I bother changing my own oil, tbh

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Have you watched the original Italian Job?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I know most car batteries are made by one or two suppliers, so are there any cheap brands I should avoid? Or a cheap "safe" brand?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hi, spark plug engineer here!

Go ahead and use what the manufacturer recommends. If it was 41-921 then it was originally a platinum plug. Basically, an iridium plug is a better platinum plug but cheaper (to make, anyway).

Nickel (I know people call them copper but it's nickel, drat it) plugs are not as good as iridium in any way except price. However, if your car is tuned for nickel plugs, you're better off using them than a precious metal plug because the spark timings can be off (too early).

But even though iridium plugs will cost 10 bucks a piece, they last 100k miles (modern turbocharged engines aside) so you don't have to replace them as often as nickel plugs (30k life).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Maybe. Probably not. Plugs are steel with a plating.

NGK and Champion use zinc plating with trivalent chromate. Bosch and Denso use a nickel plating.

Zinc + chromate is better than nickel usually, but sometimes combustion byproducts are not so kind (e.g. E100 - but not E85!) and nickel plating is better. But, NGK (don't know about champion) makes nickel-plated (plus trivalent chromate) plugs that are better. For NGK plugs, if there is a D at the end (after the SECOND) number, then it's nickel plated. (e.g. ILTR5D is not nickel plated because the D comes after the first number)

Anyway! For normal petrol, zinc + trivalent chromate > nickel + trivalent chromate > nickel and for E100, some CNG, and some LPG, nickel + trivalent chromate > zinc + trivalent chromate.

The failure mode is corrosion of the metal shell and getting stuck to the head. So, if you're not having problems getting your plugs out then the straight answer to your question is no. If you are, then switch to a NGK nickel plated plug, or next Denso then next Bosch plug.

In the end, order of quality pretty much goes NGK/Denso - > Bosch - > Champion - > anybody else. (this doesn't include brands like ACDELCO, MOPAR, etc because they don't actually make any pkugs)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
So, there's a thing called ignitability. What this means is, after the spark occurs, how quickly the flame kernel expands. Better ignitability means it grows faster and you have better idle stability at low RPMs. Benefit at high RPMs is low/minimal.

So you can do two things with this: adjust your spark timing or keep the same spark timing but reduce the gap size (lower demand voltage, better durability - more important in turbo engined). Or adjust your A/F, so more than two things.

But for all those things, obviously, your car has to be calibrated to take damage of it. Otherwise, it just offers better durability over the nickel plugs (just because of the material difference).

The center electrode is much smaller than nickel, which is what gives it the ignitability benefit. This benefit decreases with increased gap size. This is why multi-pronged spark plugs aren't great, but they are designed to avoid fouling anyway, it for ignitability, and in that they are great.

On the ground electrode, there may or may not be a platinum pad, and of course having one is better for durability. But it doesn't affect ignitability.

And what the gently caress, why are spark plugs that expensive. Nickel should be a couple euro each at most and iridium maybe 10 euro at most.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Sure. But everyone should keep in mind that, because combustion in an ICE depends on so many factors, the things related to plugs are always when keeping all other things equal, and always depends on the engine.

Any time the OEM asks us a question, our answer is always that it should be ultimately verified on the actual engine.