Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Chinatown posted:

hoity toity try-hard burgers are good and all but please dont be a human being and try to elevate it above any other burger

thanks.

This.

Hodad's is indeed a great burger. Their bacon "patty" is nuts. Haven't been to San Diego in a year. That burger and the tacos (literally everywhere for like a dollar each) alone are worth the trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Not preferable but for pre-made frozen patties, what do you guys think is the better of them out there?

I've been pretty happy with Bubba Burger (original) in a pinch. Pretty quick on a pan and if dressed up even reasonably it's among the better pre-made ones I've had. I also have a decent recipe from a "foodie" friend for making good burgers, and while I do enjoy making things from scratch, I'm quite lazy and it's a rare occurrence so when I'm in the mood for a burger and don't feel like going out, Bubba's been decent.

Anyone know of any better?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

psyopmonkey posted:

Make your own with ground beef and then freeze them.

Duh.

Yes, yes, I know, but I'm mostly curious if anyone's found decent options out there. Bubba's been the only one I've found thus far.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

psyopmonkey posted:

Bubbas or Morning Star are my go to premade patties.

Morning Star is veggie burgers right?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

shiksa posted:

if yr getting bubba burgs you might as well just get up out of my face

like god drat thats no proper burg

its not my first choice, stop yelling at me :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

GORDON posted:

As soon as he mentioned them I was going to ask if he found Bubba Burgers to be pretty dry.

I find them to cook up pretty dry.

I haven't really found them to be too dry, but whenever I do make a Bubba Burger, I tend to dress it up with BBQ or Ketchup/Mayo and lettuce, tomato, onions, so that could be why I don't notice. You don't squeeze the burger as it cooks do you? If you do, don't. In general. Ever.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

it's weird to want your burger hockey puck charred, but I also don't like the mushy blood taste either

I find medium for burgers and medium rare for steaks to be the way to go.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

etalian posted:

good enough to get its own comedy movie.

I had White Castle FROM White Castle for the first time a few months ago. It's really only a Jersey thing and when visiting my cousin and his family, we decided to do a late night White Castle run. Up until this point, the only White Castle experience I had was the frozen ones from 7-11.

Terrible. Just loving Terrible. I thought getting it directly from the source would be better and explain a bit more about Harold and Kumar's obsession with it, but nope. I seriously think the 7-11 frozen ones were better, but it's been years, so who knows.

gently caress White Castle.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

etalian posted:

Well in all fairness they were big stoners in the movie.

That's fair, but still. Just TERRIBLE.

I even got some of them with bacon. They were WORSE!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Chinatown posted:

putting poo poo into the patty is mostly lame as poo poo and shouldnt be done IMO

good meat, salt, good toppings is all you need

When I make my own burgers, I usually throw in chopped up bacon. It's pretty awesome actually so you're wrong. :)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

a hole-y ghost posted:

sorry but mixing stuff in makes it a meatloaf sandwich.

I don't entirely disagree, but it still tastes loving awesome.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Code Jockey posted:

meatloaf sandwiches are good af but are out of scope of this thread

think I might burg tomorrow, having those big mac feels

Well meatloaf is a bit unfair. Some chopped up bacon and perhaps diced onions with an egg to keep it from breaking apart is hardly turning the patty into a meatloaf.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Agree. I actually hate caramelized onions. Other than causing a stringy bite, I never notice them there. Caramelizing seems to do nothing more than "remove flavor."

The only alternative to raw onions on a burger that I'll occasionally partake is onions rings/strings. Sometimes they really do the trick.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

SpazmasterX posted:

hello i don't understand how caramelizing works

orly?

The Mad Archivist posted:

the whole point of caramelizing onions was to infuse whatever they were cooking with, with an oniony flavor

putting them on after the fact doesnt make sense to me

This. I've only seen caramelized onions put on a burger after the fact and it seems to do nothing.

I know what caramelizing does normally.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

thathonkey posted:

the font is actually implemented even worse on their actual restaurants if you can believe it:

look at this loving place. what the hell is trib???

it doesn't get any better inside:

Looks like a sushi bar without the chef station in the middle there. What a stupid design for a burger joint/grill.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

thathonkey posted:

a lot of these restaurant people have more money than sense. here is an unreasonably large picture of the founder/head chef dude looking goony af

:lol:

thathonkey posted:

omg i just noticed that picture is perfect for goatse'ing. he's wearing the ring and everything.

SOMEONE DO THIS

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

matrix ripoff posted:

lil' over enthusiastic for the goatse there

:cmon:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
pfft, thanks obama :rolleyes:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

:wth: Burging Blunts :wth:

Dude, what to go partners with me?

We can use weed infused lard to cook the stuff in. Vape Shakes.....

I shouldn't say anymore. :ninja:

too late...REPORTED

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

etalian posted:

ketchup is a failure on both burgers and hot dogs.

:getout:

Whenever I'm in Chicago I'm reminded about the evils of ketchup on a hot dog. Meanwhile those freakshows consider this a proper hot dog:

http://www.viennabeef.com/filebin/images/historyOfChicagoDog.jpg

I go to Chicago from time to time and each time I try one of these monstrosities and each time I'm reminded how disgusting they are.

Coney Dogs for life. And in Boston, Spike's Junkyard had some great dogs. I miss Spike's.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fetus Tree posted:

Decent dogs, horrible neighborhood unless you enjoy house fires and bed bugs.

I used to live right around there in the Back Bay Fens.

How's Little Stevie's these days? When I first moved to Boston in 1999, it was the poo poo. By 2004/2005, it started sucking miserably. Only acceptable at 2:30am after a night of drinking. By 2006/2007, even that ended.

But yeah, great dogs. I used to love the Junkyard Dog I think it was called. Cheese, Onions, and Spicy Mustard. E: Wait, Ballpark Dog I think it was called.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Ah... I've ONLY eaten at the one on Boylston by Back Bay (between Hemenway and Mass Ave)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
The only meat pineapple belongs on is ham.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

that grilled cheese buns burger was insane

I can't even remember it, I think I blacked out

Grilled cheese buns just seem like instant death.

I want one though.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

This video made me kinda sad. His daughter could have shown it to him during an intervention rather than let the world see it.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I used to get cheeseburger subs from BHOP when I lived in Fenway. I miss them.

I alternate between cheddar and American cheese on my burgers. I like Swiss as well but I usually like to mix Swiss with cheddar or even American.

How do we feel about pickles? A spear on the side or in the burger itself?

I like 'em either way!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Can you put the foreman grill in the dishwasher?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fetus Tree posted:

if i make mayo i like to keep it simple

too many things have to be freakin infused these days

Bacon mayo...

with Sriracha!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
i don't like the word "burg" :(

but i DO like the mac sauce

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I could really go for a burger today myself. But now that hot dogs were mentioned, I want one of those too. Hell, I could even go for a corn dog.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Steak burgers. Yay or nay?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Dyna Soar posted:

veggie burgs can be really awesome yeah

I like veggie burgers too. But I don't like when people try to compare them to burgers. Like that chik'n nonsense. Does it taste ok? Sure. Is it like chicken? No.

e: not to say anyone here is comparing them, just a sticking point due to an ex-girlfriend of mine who was a vegetarian and would always try to get me to eat those "it's just like X" nonsense. I'd always tell her that things can taste fine on their own without having to bullshit us carnivores into thinking they're anything like the real thing. Hell I like Turkey Bacon just fine too. But don't tell me it's the same as pork bacon. They're both good but they aren't the same drat thing.

PEOPLE AM I RITE?

Shadow fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 21, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Big Beef City posted:

Your entire post tells me you're a person capable of discerning layers, which is good.

You can have a black bean burger with turkey bacon and it's going to taste awesome.

No, it won't be a kobe beef smash burger done under-medium on a perfect roll. It's not going to be that. But it will be delicious because it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Burger zen, if you will.

:hfive:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

toggle posted:

yeah what is it with burger places and hipsters? is this a world wide phenomenon or what? sours my burg experience

It's a more affordable outlet for their pretentiousness. Like brunch. Most of the places hipsters go to for brunch are places they can't afford the dinner menu.

Hipsters are foodies with less money.

And foodies are annoying.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
yeah, sounds like what you made was an abortion

:colbert:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Nation posted:

#notallburgsrbeautiful

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I did a burger tonight as well.

Simple really. Ground beef, American cheese, two thinly sliced tomatoes, onions, and one leaf of lettuce. Ketchup and mayo. A side of mac and cheese.

Dill pickle spear to round it out.

A lager to wash it down.

It is known.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I'm not sure if I'd like venison. In general, I don't like really tough meat and I assume gamey meat is pretty tough.

Hell I don't even like lamb. Not that lamb is gamey meat, but thought I'd mention it!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
yeah

pork chops > lamb chops

I actually have a bit of a craving for a big mac but it's like 20 with a real feel of 3 so I think I'm going to stick with getting something delivered. Burgers don't travel well for delivery. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Dyna Soar posted:

are you guys serious? lamb rules if cooked right

then I guess it's never been cooked right!

No but seriously, lamb was one of the choices during my friend's wedding in Aruba and my friends were RAVING about it. One of them insisted I try some of theirs and I did.

2/5 would not eat again

• Locked thread