Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The Orbital Bombardment guys have started twittering from Salute at https://twitter.com/obdzc

A bunch of pictures of new infantry plus the UCM fleet and a big diorama.

I have to admit i wasn't really digging the design of the DZC scale strike carrier we have seen before, it gave me Firestorm Armada vibes and much like FA on the whole i found it okay but nothing special. The larger UCM ships are a pleasant surprise, they're not what i expected but i do like them quite a bit and most importantly they don't feel like casting was the primary concern when designing them.

Also they seem to have giant spinal mounted lasers judging by the things that look like the business end of the orbital defense laser terrain piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I really like the sound of the sensor and range mechanics and it'll be interesting to see how the altitude works out.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I approve of the Taiidan Republic :v:

And let us know how the stripping, i haven't looked too deep into it but successes seem to vary with hawk resin.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Speaking of stripping, today i found out that vallejo airbrush thinner is excellent for stripping, my starsprites look almost factory fresh.

Let them soak for a bit, scrubbed off most of the paint with a toothbrush and gave them a few rounds in a cheapo ultrasonic cleaner.
The paint is gone and the resin seems entirely unimpressed, even the superglue/PU dust filling on some of the wingtips came out unscathed.

Overall it was unintended but not unwelcome. That said, if you're using this stuff for its intended purpose be sure to let your it dry thoroughly before unmasking.

And i like both Homeworld and Chris Foss a lot. (Now someone make a good game with designs inspired by John Berkey)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
They're definitely the cheapest way to get a table going and i think they're of decent quality but there's one catch: If you don't glue them they don't hold their shape all too well, if you do glue them you can't transport them nearly as easily.

Edit:
I ordered some countersunk M1x5 screws and they arrived today, so now they sit flush. I'm unreasonably pleased by very minor details :v:

Edit2:
Brueckenkops has the clearest photos of the spaCESHIPS i's seen so far http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=140166

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 29, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't like the infantry stands so I base my infantry on tiny little disks because I am insane.

time to post these guys again :smuggo:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks, it's 0,5mm acrylic glass and a trim of 1mm black polystyrene made using the CNC mill at work. And for attaching them i just used superglue and let them dry in front of a fan to prevent fogging.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm /so/ sold on these.

Also is that a PHR lady surfing on a wave of tiny drones in the second infantry pic?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If you check the newsletter the pictures of the single ships all have the length on them.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
My stuff isn't 100% complete but it's in a state where i'm not ashamed to put it on the table :v:

That said, UCM are indeed a piece of work to magnetize. I ended up milling my own claps that have a bit more clearance than the originals. If you use the resin ones and was them to properly grab around the sides of the tank you're stuck putting the guns in the folded position.

I use 1mmx1mm cylindrical magnets and put them at the end of the clamps and the sides of the vehicles, everything i'm encountered so far has features that help with alignment, like panel lines or counting grooves on the attachment points. My own clamps come with holes for the magnets, on the stock one you should again be fine with counting grooves and then punching a decent pilot hole with a pin before drilling.
l]

It's possible to fit all three tanks under a condor if you make stand with an off-center peg, it should go right in front of the second to last clamp-mounting-point thingie. I milled a little bit that fits around the ribs of the spine in that place to give me a little more meat but the spin itself is wide enough that you can drill a hole for 1mm steel wire into it if you're careful.

And yesterday i finally got around to milling Raven clamps, with wolverines the rod fits between them and with a longbow i am just going to put a hole for the flightstand into the longbow itself and have the dropship rest on top of it.

So yeah, if you don't have access to a CNC mill good luck with magnetizing UCM. It's certainly possible but you'll have to mount your weapons flush and find a way to get custom flightstands.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks y'all!

The flight stands are also self made, using again the CNC mill at work. I've actually been thinking of selling those and gotten some interest but nothing has come of it yet.
They're made from 1.5mm acrylic and 1mm steel wire. The wire is just pressed into a slightly smaller hole. If you can get some acrylic bases without a hole and a 0.9mm drill you should be able to do the same. To press in the wire i remove the bottom end of my pin vise so it holds the wire like this:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Bob Smith posted:

I was misinformed then - when the people I was talking to about the game were explaining how to get started they said everything starts in a transport and you could only take units without aircraft if you were defending.

I take it if I buy some of the artillery pieces they probably don't need airlifting in either?

The rules for Longbows (the UCM artillery) specify that transports are compulsory for them since they can't move on their own at all.

I've seen some discussion about waiving the dropship requirement if dropships aren't allowed by the scenario and just using them as stationary defenses basically but that'd be a house rule.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The rules for the PHR snipers and the UCM mortars are up on their respective pages and some guy on the forums dug up a link to the eviscerator rules even though they aren't officially linked yet: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Eviscerators_-_Experimental_Rules_1_web.pdf

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
http://www.facebook.com/dzcommenter/photos_stream this guy has a whole gallery of gencon photos. On one hand i hope that the 2 feet Beijing goes on sale some time on the other hand my wallet...

GreenMarine posted:

How did you create those infantry stands?

I used the CNC mill at work, it's a frame made from black polystyrene with a little lip that holds 0.5mm acrylic glas.

Also i'm finally getting back to painting, there's a small local con coming up on the weekend of the 28th and i want my kodiak and ferrum done for that. I also pledged that i wouldn't buy new stuff until what i have is painted because otherwise i'll end up with way too much unpainted stuff like in warmachine :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Brückenkopf has some nice closeups of some of the things.

Here's a good view of the broadsword:

Note how the clamp attachment points are on the turret, so the turret is as wide as a normal tank and the actual chassis is even wider. And i wonder if the little things in the front are supposed tp pop up to form a forward attachment point, that's gonna be fun to magnetize.

Ugleb posted:

Yeah it's an evolution of their tanks which turret variants or walkers with arm variants. Except I probably won't be able to magnetise so much....or will I?
I like this kind of challenge if you can't tell.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I played around with spaced armour this morning and i'm pleased with how it came out, i think i might go with this over the previous slabs.
I also want to add some more details to the "humps" in the back and properly greeble up the area in the center. (didn't notice the back piece being slightly askew)

That said, i'm currently undecided about the upper segments of the spaced armor, anyone got opinions on whether they should stay or go? (older version of the back piece in this pic)

Ugleb posted:

I think you're right, those do look like attachment points. I think its just sculpted, but I wouldn't put it past Dave to have made them as separate pieces you could drill to hinge.

Just to give you the excuse, consider thyself challenged to magnetise this bad boy!

Consider your challenge accepted!

Arcturas posted:

Bistro, what size magnets do you use for the random UCM turrets? I'm looking to magnetize some Sabres, Rapiers, and Wolverines over the next week or two.

Sabres and Rapiers use 3x1mm, one glued flush to the bottom of the turret well and the other recessed far enough into the turret for the lower one to have room.

I widened the hole to 4mm slightly more than 1mm deep before glueing the magnet in to have some wiggle room in case i didn't hit the center exactly and since the turrets aren't super precise in their geometry.
In retrospect i could have just used a 2mm magnet for the lower one to get the same effect for less effort and when i get get that kind of turret again that what i'll do, should still be powerful enough.

Glue the turret arm in place first when doing these, going a little bit deeper than 2mm you'll come out in the socket for the arm and it's easier to just drill away a bit of the arm already in place than to try and fit it around a magnet protruding into the socket.

For the Wolverines i used 2x1mm cylinders with a 0,5mm spacer since the back of the weapons were scraping the engine block thingies a bit.

I also magnetized the bear turrets using 1x1mm cylinders, leaving the original pin in place and sinking the magnet into it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
With gencon over i thought i'd post some rumor links, a bunch of them have already come up in this thread. As a disclaimer, they primarily come from a single guy who's a talon (official volunteer kinda deal) so it's all based on his conversations and memories thereof.

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6980 long thread with on the hawk forums, with day to day posts and some questions/back and forth

http://dzcblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/gencon-2015d-round-up-and-other-news.html summary of the aforementioned thread by the orbital bombardment guys

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7023 roundup thread on the hawk forums which is almost the same but includes some new things i hadn't heard before, most notably:

quote:

There will eventually be a Fast Mover expansion, in which every faction (maybe not Resistance) will get a new FM to complement the roles (and points) that their existing FMs already provide.

Existing and new variants, such as the Sabre & Rapier and the Angelos & new Flame variant, will be packaged in the future in a single blister. This will allow retailers to stock fewer SKUs, even while providing new unit options to us customers.

Also, the previously discussed "unit stat cards" will be included in blisters in the future (April timeframe, probably/hopefully).

Again, all based on word of mouth from a single guy but i'll be very happy about stat cards and options being included in blisters if these turn out to be true. magnets, god i love magnets

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
New rules are up on the hawk site!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I finished converting my kodiak today, after weeks of hee-hawing and experiments i ended up going with the first style of ablative armour plus armored hubcaps.
The rear section is mostly featuring parts from a hind kit and a 1:35 machine gun set, the antenna is foldable and locks into both raised and storage position with magnets and the whole thing still fits under a condor.

I also made vertical AA launchers for my ferrum, i'm not really a fan of the ball joint on the default ones and when dry fitting they were really in the way when fiddling with the moving tower. Should have done them before airbrushing but eh

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

muggins posted:

That's me doing the interview :) thanks for linking guys. Goon small world. Jpg
Neat interview! And i'm happy to hear that dave consider Spiel a major event, maybe i'll get to see some new stuff or get a dropfleet demo in october.

rjderouin posted:

I just picked up UCM and I got the little ATV's with guns mounted on them but they don't come with bases. I looked it up, they don't have bases. The wargamer in me has to put them on bases, anyone have any recommendations for a good base to use that I could order from the like the warstore?
I assume you mean wolverines? I put one on some old 40k and confrontation bases and if you (barely) want all four wheels on the base you need to go with 25mm, either circle or square but both will make them significantly wider and might affect your maneuvering in game. And personally i actually find it neat that most ground stuff can do without bases, UCM stuff especially is very low and rectangular so they're convenient to move around and there's no confusion about weird shapes.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The earlier combat teaser seems to have been cut from this video, it touches on a bunch more areas and is pretty interesting i'd say.

I also had a test game against scourge last night with the guy i'll me demoing with at a small convention thingie and oh goD THEY'RE ALL OVER ME.
I'm not quite used to dealing with how loving fast scourge are yet, coming mostly from playing Cryx in Warmachine i'm used to playing the fast guys myself.
It did end up being an enjoyable and close game though and i grabbed a few pictures i thought looked nice:

The old AT-43 tiles make work well for dzc except they come in a pack of 15 (we went down to 14 for symmetry)

Archangel attack run on a harbringer

A flashlight makes for a nice orbital strike in photos :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I made my own template set today because why the hell not?

And i totally approve of more Foss Republic.

Depending on what the PHR fleet ends up looking like i totally want to see one based on this image:

airbrush gradient, mask with putty or liquid, airbrush black. possible bonus points if one is glossy and the other matte.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 23, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The markings are engraved, filled with oil paint and then the excess wiped away. Probably would have been easier with thinner and deeper engravings but i'm happy with the results.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
One of the orbital bombardment guys did an video interview with Dave from Hawk (in a basement with his mic turned off)
There's some stuff about the dropfleet kickstarter, the phase two book and the app in there.

here's the link to their page http://dzcblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/video-interview-with-dave-lewis.html

and here's the youtube video if you can't stand an extra click
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCh4XMykhUU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
it's the cousin of this guy

Edit: The drill is Bertha, Jessie Adams' special drill. It's big enough to spew out wagons and jacksons.

Eh, can't resist posting wips, my kodiak is nearing completion:

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 14, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

BULBASAUR posted:

You put a lot of work into that Kodiak and it shows! What bits did you use for the command section?

Thanks! All those greebly bits in the rear are from a Zvezda Hind kit and an Academy 1:35 US machine gun set, the latter being a great source for bits in general.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for that huge write-up!

Those painted scourge look really nice, with the green the scheme works much better than the studio colours for the ground units.

The guy with the PHR walker conversion also has a thread on the hawk forums with detailed instructions if anyone want to emulate that.

Orbital Bombardment also has a bunch of pictures invasion pictures on their twitter, including some UCM frigate renderings:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Beasts of War has a long discussion with Dave and Andy Chambers about Dropfleet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60U1OuAlTWg
i have no idea how to do timestaps with video embedding so either scroll to 12:30 or go here.
There's a lot of stuff we've previously heard but also plenty of new things and the ships are now on dial bases that go mysteriously unmentioned.

Also i finally finished my Kodiak, gonna take some daylight pictures tomorrow and make gifs of the hinge in action and try entering it into hawks monthly competition. I'll also stop posting pictures of it every other post :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Bistromatic posted:

I finally finished my kodiak for dropzone commander, i converted it quite a bit from the standard model.

among other things i made the trailer hinge workable and added a folding antenna that magnetically locks in both positions

and of course it still fits under a dropship

crossquote from by painting thread by popular request :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks y'all! And it's always nice to see homeworld themed things, nicely done.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Have some pictures of UCM frigates from the SPIEL instead. Also the Hawk people here are seriously great to talk to.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 9, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'll wait and see what exactly there is in addons and stretch goals and stuff and if our resident scourge player would be up for splitting the double starter.

As for the Atlantis, what bothers me are the turrets on top of the hangars, doesn't feel like a good place to put them.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
now they're twice funded, i wonder if that's already enough for the other two factions then :v:

I'll go to my first tournament tomorrow and ask my scourge buddy who'll also be there if he wants to split a captain level.

And just in time my Ferrum is finally finished:

Edit:
The first BoW video is up too, gonna watch it now so i can't comment on the quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLDc-iWib48

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 30, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The kickstarter just updated with another 50 Admiral spots, if you missed the first ones!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
the significant thing is that you and a guest get to go to an in-person beta day event thing

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'd call my first tournament a success: i placed third which earned me a little trophy and i was voted best painted which got me a pack of cheap coffee. both will go in my little display case shelf thingie :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I think it's because the starter box models are actually their weakest ones and they're the ones people see first. I don't hate them by any means but it feels to me like the designs quickly got much more mature after the first batch.

Edit: It also doesn't help that i'm not really feeling the studio scheme for the scourge

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 1, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
three days instead of the expected three weeks :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Plenty of surface area for brightly coloured stripes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
With the other concept sketch they posted a few updates ago i'm expecting a space station personally