Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQi7PZitXg

This is the vid the thread title comes from. Good tips about cache and also just playing contain within. Bonus points for being from now shunned and banned ex-pro Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

At the level you seem to be playing at, it'll be a cold day in hell that a b tunnels AWPer can score more than 1-2 kills against 5 Ts rushing with flashes and smokes. Smokes and weight of numbers is the best chance if you don't AWP. If they have 2b and 1 mid, then smoke off mid and hit catwalk instead, and have one guy go round and backstab the long player who'll run back to A ramp.

I'm also of the opinion that generally speaking, against competent AWPers, the best solution is to buy AWPs. As Terrorists on d2 vs 5 M4s, there isn't a great advantage to be had by buying an AWP other than wallbanging mid door and a possible early pick on long. But when CTs buy AWPs, that changes dramatically because the setups for CT AWPing are quite different from CT rifling. For example, you hold corner on long, goose on A site, peek catwalk from CT mid, or play back plat/barrels on B - positions you would not normally take with an M4, because the AK is more likely to come off better at those type of long-range battles. So suddenly when CT starts AWPing, buying AWPs as T becomes not just viable but preferable.

AWPs are like herpes. If neither team has them, then it's all fine and dandy. But if one other team picks them up, then the opposite team probably will as well.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Oh, I know you're supposed to flash, smoke, and bumrush them, and I tell my teammates that, but they ignore me and just sit in the tunnels. I swear to god, as a terrorist (you know, the team that loses when the timer runs out??), I had a teammate that kept recommending to sit in the tunnels and camp instead of actually doing anything to win, and the rest of the team listened to him. I can't rank up and get better teammates if my current ones throw away every game, can I? :bang:

1) Learn to AWP

2) Add decent teammates and play together

Don't get your hopes up that at higher ranks that teamwork will appear. People still have voice muted, throw shitfits, have terrible tactical sense, abandon and teamkill. That is the MM experience. It's more like that at higher ranks people are more likely to have initiative of their own. It's been said many times in this thread, but if you're good enough you will rank up. The rank up may not be as soon as you deserve it, and variance is always a factor, but over the long term you will settle towards the rank you should be at. Every horrific team you've ever credited a loss to, you've probably faced an almost or exactly equal number of times for a win. The only common factor is you.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Dork457 posted:

Taking the plunge on a 144hz monitor to get leg shots down mid on dust 2. :downsgun:

Don't do what I did and use an old variety of DVI cable for two weeks before realising it locks the screen at 60hz.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I tried to make my biggest bet ever on CSGL last night on fnatic but the Valve trade confirmation e-mail wouldn't go through. I then disabled Steam trade confirmation by e-mail, but in order to do that you have to accept that change...via e-mail. Which also didn't arrive.

The lesson is never try.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

bpower posted:

Are you using LoungeDestroyer chrome extension? Works really well.

edit : ah, I see.

yeah I do but I feel like a dick doing it, I feel that extension is probably 90% of the reason the website crumbles under large amounts of traffic. But it works and I only started using it because otherwise you can't bet when it's busy.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

What would they have done if they lost by accident lmao

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Fuzz posted:

So, I just played two rounds of this game.

This is the first time I've played CS since... oh... 2001ish. Whenever CS 1.0 came out for HL1, I stopped playing shortly after that.

Nice to see the core gameplay and controls haven't changed, though after playing modern shooters with ADSing and crap, it was weird getting used to the whole movement and shooting meta.

Otherwise I didn't recognize most of the guns, had people yelling gibberish locations at me and then telling me I suck and am a human being, so nothing's changed there, either.

I dunno... used to play seriously and was in clan matches and not a terrible player back in the day... now I just feel like I'm too old (33) and slow for this poo poo or something. Or is it just that the community is so far up its own rear end that if you haven't been around for every iteration to know every little pixel perfect jump and grenade throw for every map, you will never be decent? The last FPS I've played was Planetside 2 for the last 2 years, basically, and I'm alright at that, but holy poo poo, across those 2 rounds or so, I had a total of... oh... like 12 kills and about 15 assists, that's it. Kinda depressing. I guess this is what aging athletes feel like? :emo:

2 rounds? I think you mean 2 games, old man

Real talk, you'll never be a super sick CS gamer, but that's a dumb thing to aspire to anyway. Applying some tactical sense and learning how to aim/control recoil should make any player with eyes and hands above average skill. If you're playing matchmaking and getting your rank assessed, then don't expect to be playing with people of similar skill right away. Given that you haven't played in like a decade and a half I don't think it was realistic to break in and be good. Planetside is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Knowing pixel perfect jumps and nades is the kind of marginal gains only needed to break the very top ranks. I'd consider myself better than 95% of players and I've never once looked up a nade throw or jump. Life's too short to give a poo poo, unless you're actually really trying to git gud. That said, lots of people have posted videos of that sort of stuff from a pro player called AdreN on Youtube, and have high praise. So check that poo poo out if you want.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

astr0man posted:

how to tell if your mouse is good:

is it a deathadder? if yes it is good, if no it is bad

I recommend you buy 10

or else you'll run out in a year or so.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

WaterFallz is apparently only 15. Their set play for final round of OT was beautiful. Lurked B and planted A in a spot for catwalk to cover.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Do I dare bet on CPHW after that travesty vs LGB?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

CS:GO is pretty interesting to watch, but as a casual viewer who honestly doesn't know much about the high level game, it's much harder to watch than Dota or LoL. The perspective is part of it.

You think? CS is way more viewer friendly imo. Without any experience, DotA makes little sense. Shooting mans is universal.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Smol posted:

Gotta say that the way the NiP management are handling the Maikelele issue makes them look like pretty big assholes.

I have to disagree. He was given a place on a trial basis, and in my opinion he has failed to be the difference maker NiP needs against teams like NV and fnatic. People have the memory of goldfish and just assumed he was their official 5th player, but that was never the case. It's a sound decision to keep their options open. I'm not convinced Delpan will be that person, but who knows. Giving a young player a chance to play in probably the biggest CS team is pretty praiseworthy. If they could only have taken him on a permanent contract I seriously doubt they would have taken such an unknown quantity.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The Kins posted:

VOX are apparently world-class at triumphant shouting.

It comes naturally to ozzies

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Were two places ever so far removed as Finland and Australia lmao

Finns celebrating vital round win with a grimace.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

VoxE hype

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

OK so do we think Kabum has an actual chance vs. Dignitas?

Very much so imo. Betting is always skewed towards EU teams. Dignitas is a big name team but they are horrendously unreliable. Comparatively, I've been impressed by KaBuM.

aizy + kjaerbye are inexperienced, FeTish is a good IGL but kinda over the hill, Pimp + Nico are good players but not likely to carry them far.

e: I'm betting on mouz and KaBuM. So putting mah pixels where my mouth is.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 15, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Smol posted:

Or maybe everyone just underestimated Kabum. They already showed us that they are a great team on mirage, it's really no wonder that they're good on other maps at well.

This. If you watched any of their games so far, they look super in form. In their interview they said they were bootcamped playing 12+ hours a day for a week after ClutchCon. Their movement and aim looks top level for sure.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

The enemy team was a stack of griefers that kicked one of their teammates halfway through and we still lost 16-13 :negative: At least I was able to get double digit kills this time, even if I died 26 times in 29 rounds.

Didn't there used to be maps of the various location call outs for the stock maps in the old thread?

dying 26/29 rounds is quite an achievement

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

kcer posted:

haha yeah what an autist

imo this whole thread is autistic

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

So I'm pretty new to GO (played a fair bit of Source back in the day) and while I've gotten used to it and I'm starting to get out of the realm of being the bottom-fragger, locking me out of competitive after winning two a day really loving sucks. I know it only goes up to ten, but poo poo, that's three more days until I can actually get into playing and I'm really enjoying the game so far :(

soon playing two MM in one day will seem like two too many

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

That all being said, wtf is with this ranking system? I can't find anything that actually says *how* it works. What is it based off of, average score per winning round or something?

Something like this:

Behind your rank is an invisible MMR number. Your team is assessed as an average of the 5 players and then matched against as close a number as can be found in a combination of another 5 players, with other variables such as map selection and whether the players are queuing as a group confusing the issue. So, if you queue as 5 it tries to put you against 5, but it may resort to matching you against a 3+2. It handicaps that 3+2 usually by having them have a slightly higher average MMR to compensate for you being a stack of 5. Likewise if you queue for de_overgrown only, you'll likely get a big disparity in player ranks due to having a smaller pool of players to select from, and the teams may be unequally matched.

However, the system compensates for known inequality by predicting the likely result and calculating your MMR gain or loss by comparing the final result with that prediction. The margin of victory in terms of rounds won is therefore important for gaining MMR. It is also possible to rank up on draws and on losses. If you are predicted to lose 13-16 but win 16-0 you gain a ton of MMR, while if you draw the game you might earn a little. I've heard it said that MVP and individual performance can affect your MMR gain but so far I don't think there is any evidence for that.

Valve haven't (and probably won't) publish their actual metrics. What I've written is just speculation and observation.

e:

quote:

The CS:GO competitive ranking system started with ideas based on Glicko-2 rating model and improved over time to better fit the CS:GO player base. All computations are performed on our matchmaking backend and multiple matchmaking parameters describing scientific set of rating variables of a player are represented to players as a their Skill Group. You should be able to find papers on rating systems involving rating volatility and rating deviations online to get a better idea about why our complex competitive matchmaking parameters cannot be represented as a single numeric value.

Valve person implies that there is some complex malarkey going on behind the scenes. But if you just win games and don't do terrible, you'll rank up.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 16, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

kcer posted:

Is there a "prediction" other than a draw when mmr works?

Of course MMR will always aim towards a draw, or as close to a draw as it can. The inherent variance and the inaccuracy of MMR means it will rarely succeed in causing a draw. If you think about it for a moment there is no other way it could operate, unless you think it operates on a system to try and create unequal games.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I mean, a coin flip is a perfect MMR simulation of two completely evenly matched teams. If you flip a coin a billion billion times, the overall outcomes of heads/tails is 50%. Flip a coin 30 times and although 15 heads and 15 tails is certainly possible, it is not more likely than every other possible outcome, not by a long shot.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 17, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Skuto posted:

Admittedly it's a mystery to me how you would deal with abandons in a graceful manner. To prevent exploiting the system you probably have little choice but to act as if nothing has happened. If not people could disconnect when they're about to lose to avoid down ranking.

They could introduce a low priority queue system like the one in DotA, and on top of that decrease the MMR loss/gain from the match that had an abandon (if the team with an abandon loses.) Still, current system isn't too bad. Only had one abandon in like 20 games, and he got a 7 day cooldown for it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Necc0 posted:

It's infinitely frustrating that the dota team had this figured out from the beginning and we still haven't gotten it.

I highly doubt that is coincidental. Valve are notorious for doing this kind of market testing. It is also plausible that there are not enough concurrent MM searches to cater to a low-priority queue. The number on steamgaug.es shows there are still about 10x as many people searching for DotA games, even if the unique player count is only 2x that of CS:GO these days.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Skuto posted:

That's odd. You sure its always like this? It's actually almost 20x now which makes no sense.

It is not odd at all. DotA 2 only offers a MM service while CS:GO is still predominantly populated by private server hosts. Surf, DM, Public, every 3rd party MM service etc.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I was top fragging on T on Overpass last night on sub.io, but managed to cost my team like 8 rounds on CT. I can't seem to figure CT side out. I die when I push and I die when I camp. Any words of wisdom or guides for overpass? I think the weirdness of the map throws off my game sense.

Totally not avoiding working right now.

Overpass is a map where having good awareness pays dividends. The CT rotate is very short compared to other maps. Reading what the other team is doing and communication will help you anticipate getting to the right site before they even plant the bomb. Playing B is like playing most other CS bombsites - just hold your angles and use smokes. Holding A is where controlled aggression can really pay off in terms of gaining information - so pushing long A or stairs can tell you a massive amount about what the other team is doing, which on overpass is pretty game changing.

It's hard to give any magic advice that will help you. Trying to survive rather than challenge is a more valid tactic when defending a site on overpass because you are likely to be able to have a 4-5man retake if you can stay alive. That just isn't the case for a map like d2, for example, although you do see pro teams do it occasionally - falling back from mid and b and then 5 man retaking. Never gonna see it happen in a goonman though.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

This. Hell, CW at 12% is good for bunch of 5 cent skins, too.

Dunno man, I don't think CPHW could even win 1 game in 10 against fnatic on d2. Some massive luck and starting CT on nuke or cbble...maybe.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

kcer posted:

How have you won 75% of your games, while being a consistently top player, yet you're still in Silver?

Unless he edited, he said 75+ games.

Anyway, today is the day I contribute something useful to CS thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2uqovq/boiler_a_tool_to_archive_your_match_history/

Now you don't need to suffer confirmation bias ever again.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

astr0man posted:

He said 75+ games won out of 105 games played

welp

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

D2 at the lower ranks is not a very good indicator of skill, imo, because there are people that play nothing but D2 and are probably terrible at the game overall but will be better at D2 just naturally because of how many hours they've been on it

It really depends what you mean by skill, but you could say your skill on d2 is the purest measure of skill because all the players have equal map knowledge, and probably experience.

It's bad form to be a one map hero, and useless if you want to play in a team, but it doesn't detract from your fundamental CS skills I guess.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

losing both pistols rounds on nuke is just about a death sentence

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Necc0 posted:

> Save last round
> mlg

We need a :silvers: emot

Im partial to the sass from the Silver 1 myself

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

MrSmokes posted:

MGE is what I can't get past. I've been drifting between it and MG2 for months now. I get flanked and sometimes peek too much and all that, but I feel like my biggest problem is aim and reaction time. At around this level I keep running into players who I just cannot seem to beat in a gunfight. Sometimes they appear and headshot me before I can even react to them and click my mouse to shoot back, it's insane. It's scary because if I'm having a hard time with them, eagles and whatnot must be so hard to deal with. I've been playing for a little over a year now, this is my first CS game. It sucks because I feel like I should be farther up in the ranks by now, but maybe I'm wrong and this is common, idk.

From what I can tell, probably the biggest skill hurdles are MGE -> DMG and DMG -> Eagle. MGE and DMG are the largest skill groups iirc.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

I wish that only sniper rifles could kill in one headshot, and that sniper rifles had idle scope sway

*imagines the hell of AK not having 1 bullet headshot*

*kills self*

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

If NiP get a solid 5th and get settled they will be a p. terrifying lineup still.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Antares posted:

if i top frag and lose, am i getting low-value kills or what. i don't understand video games.

There's always a top fragger on both winning and losing teams buddy.

But also, kill values are pretty variable. Picking the enemy AWP at the start of the round probably shifts your chance of winning that round up to like 70%. Killing the last eco CT when you are 5 with bomb down is worth $300 and changes nothing.

Entry kills, clutch kills (if you win), kills on low-money players - this poo poo is worth more.

If you find yourself getting getting tonnes of frags while cleaning up or baiting your team, your frags contribute little, possibly even negatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Mouse acceleration maketh the player

• Locked thread