Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I hate this loving game god drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Wtf is aim punch?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Exp and ranks own. But Zoo is horrible, so I don't know.
I'm hoping for a metal gear:esque story in the operations to come.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

prom candy posted:

That reg date comment made me realize i am loving old, thanks a lot.

Babies, all of you.

What were the good aim maps called exactly? I'm a bit frustrated game lately, feel like I'm not improving at all.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Bohemian Nights posted:

I know it's babby's first cs, but I just had my first game with globals on the scoreboard :3:

Swedish interface owns. "Legendarisk Örnmästare"

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Awesome evening of competitive games on zoo with two friends:
First game: The two other random team mates begs to be kicked after losing pistol round, and just leave after a while when we wouldn't kick them. Lose 1-16.
Second game: The same. Lose 2-16.
Third game: The opponents start kicking/leaving after losing a couple of rounds. In the end only one person is left, with 4 bots. Win 16-0.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Is casual the fastest way to rank up to 3? Compared to demolition or armsrace etc.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Bohemian Nights posted:

I found some stuff on github. I'm having someone much smarter than I look at it tomorrow. Server might be ready for the weekend- might not!

I can help out as well. Have experience with automating poo poo with Valve's horrible tools.

AWS works for game-servers? Random latency is not an issue? I haven't looked into the details, but I think you need to pay up plenty to guarantee network performance. Also, it's going to be expensive if 128 tick requires a beefier machine.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Haha you americans are so cute.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Americans play CS like swedes play soccer.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Please invite me to the secret club. Don't know why I haven't joined before...
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198005648399/

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

mcvey posted:

I'm not sure that Silvers actually exist anymore. At least not officially ranked ones.

I'm a real silver-player you dummy! :(
At least I just got promoted to supreme elite silver or whatever it's called, so soon I'm moving up to the big league!

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

symbolic posted:

Novas are Silvers who have learned to pull down when they spray and to buy grenades. That's it.

I keep hearing things like this in this thread, and I experiencing silver differently. Everyone can aim (in the meaning that you have a split-second when seeing someone before you're dead from a headshot) and everyone buys nades. Location callouts etcetc is done. Maybe there are differences in regions, I'm in Sweden.

Sure there is a quite large degree of random behavior, example: "kick me"-players, and others who just kill team mates, also Russians refusing to communicate. But "just aim better", or "buy nades" is not enough to rank out of silver. I'm probably playing the game fundamentally wrong in other ways. I'm trying to be more defensive lately, "no rush".

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

symbolic posted:

Well Sweden is habitually better at CS than us dumb Americans. Swedish Silvers are probably American MG level judging by what you said.

I knew I would come off as arrogant, I did not mean to offend your delicate american hearts. (C9 will never beat a swedish team fyi)
I never played CS back in the day, and my first exposure to CS is with GO. I only know silver level play, and what I keep hearing here is not consistent with how I experience the game. That means of course that there is a risk of Dunning Kruger:ing going on, and that I literally don't know what I'm talking about.

I'll post some replays.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Two demos of recent silver-games. Don't have any better games sorry. I've played mostly mirage, inferno, and zoo lately, but don't have any games from those maps saved.

Dust 2 from tonight. We got completely outplayed, and my form was bad. It has been a while since I played the map, with these drat missions going on. Obvious early on that my teammates seemed to have voice talky off, everyone was just doing their own thing. One of those kind of games. First pistol round is like a joke, I just run in alone and get shot. I was distracted ok!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12608928/dust2.zip

Agency from friday 2am. This is a bit of a clusterfuck of a game, I have barely played the map, and I think everyone was drunk. At least I was.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12608928/agency.zip

I need to save demos more actively.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Raioner posted:

Don't do this.

Weekend nights are excused.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

illezt posted:

I taught my ex girlfriend how to play CS when I was like a nova 3 or 4 or something -- she had literally never played a PC FPS in her life, and she placed into Nova 1. I mean we were telling her what to do all the time, but she was out aiming silvers on a pretty consistent basis despite having no idea what to do (granted, having no bad habits like panic spraying probably helped). It's really really loving hard to place into silver.

Watch the dust2-game I posted earlier, for silver level play. I was on the losing team, and we were terrible, but the opponents were also silver.

edit:
My point being that what you're saying sounds alien.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Carol Pizzamom posted:

League has a far better system

LoL is open with how their's work? I thought they were secretive about it as well.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
It's not fun to play with smurfs.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
WOOO promoted to gold nova 1 YEAH! Moving up to the big league!

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
But seriously, lower your sens.
I don't know the stats n poo poo - I have mid in windows set, and 2.00 set in the game. Lowering to 2, as I did recently, made a huge difference.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Wtf did I miss something? Everybody plays like they're hammered, sneering "curwa" to each other constantly. Is Wednesday the new friday night?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I've gone up the ranks pretty rapidly after leaving silver, sitting on GN3 now. Having better games than ever. Yeah smurfs every now and then, but rarer than in silver. I don't know if this is because GN vs silver, or the level-restriction thing they introduced.

edit:
Skill among players vary a lot. With people in the same skill-group - I sometimes dominate them in the exchanges, and sometimes have no chance at all. I don't think this is caused by smurfs though, but the inherant variance in skill-performance on this level.

PerOlus fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 24, 2015

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Yay! I got promoted to master guardian! The vibes in the teams have been better than ever the last ~10 games I've played. So much more fun nowadays compared to the dark days of silver.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

kalstrams posted:

The patch is real and there are some 100% inheritance guns now. Seriously, go check it and Games thread out.

Wtf is an inheritance gun?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Deranked two steps down to GN3 during the weekend.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
If you flip from month, to week and day in http://csgosquad.com/ranks , there seem to be a drift towards more of a bell curve distribution of the skill groups. Which is what Valve is aiming for according to that reddit-post from the other day.

Having a bell curve distribution, instead of allowing upwards drift, makes a lot of sense. It makes advancement harsher though, since becoming better isn't enough to advance - you must become better at a faster pace than the other players around you. (Assuming that all active players become better over time.)

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
It's time to play a more gritty and dirty style of cs.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Bohemian Nights posted:

http://fragbite.se/cs/news/38320/pyth-ar-klar-for-ninjas-in-pyjamas

"The swedish talent Jacob "pyth" Mourujärvi is ready for NiP gaming, announced by the org this evening. Now only two players remain for this years line-up" (and it'll probably be forest and get_right)

:l

You still have a shot!

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I know that the matchmaking isn't changed, only that the rank shown is.
I also know that I've had way shittier games since the change. I suspect people are trying less when they get dumped down ranks, but it may rather be bad luck of course.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Smol posted:

Normal matchmaking is a thousand times better in Europe at least, since the player base is only 60% raging Russian teenagers, instead of 100%.

Wait, the US gets a lot of Russians? I assumed it was an euro-thing.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
A reminder that no one's real ranks have actually changed. "I lost two ranks and now playing worse players" is false, you're playing with the same lovely players you played with before the rank shift.
A contributing factor to lovely games is more likely to be caused by the holiday sale - with the usual new bunch of players and alt accounts.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I've gone down 6 skill groups - from MG2 to silver. Sorry about bringing up rank-talk again, but I'm sad about this and I hate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I dropped from MG1 to silver, so the chart checks out for my part I guess.

• Locked thread