Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Gonna have to sit this one out for a while, I bought a Wii U for 3U and still have all of G rank to trudge through. As a working class adult that rarely leaves the house a handheld just doesn't make sense for me.

Pretty envious of the shark fin armor in the last thread though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
So I'm plowing through LR pretty much without hassle, but I'd like to try something new, and I've never gunned before. Bows look neat - I've watched the video in the OP and know to watch for critical distance, use power coatings, charge my shots most of the time, etc. But I'm not sure what bow to shoot for and the starting one seems pretty poo poo. Are there any must-have early game bows and armor sets?

Edit: and per the above conversation, do bows do slicing damage so I can get tail cuts?

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This question comes up a lot because MonHun is much more balanced than other games that have strictly superior weapons. The weapon tree is relatively balanced, even though Im positive that Bug Staff is OP as gently caress.

Yep that's pretty much why I asked. I just assumed there are some bows that are poo poo in ways I have yet to understand.

But also because I'm a gunner neophyte. I didn't think I'd be more comfortable smacking dragons up close and personal, but well, here we are.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Maybe I'm bad at video games or it was because I played with pubbies, but man the HR1 graduation Urgent was hard (Nerscylla). Triple carted with three different groups and then finally killed it with a scrap of life left after our third guy dropped out midway through. drat I'd forgotten how satisfying it is to just barely scrape by a fight, and build a legit grudge against the monster you're stabbing.

Oddly enough I thought the single player encounter was a breeze.

Now to grind up a few more... the armor is too badass to pass up. At this rate I'm never making it out of LR, there's already too much cool poo poo to farm :ohdear:

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
So the one major complaint I have thus far is that you can't up your guild rank by joining someone else's Urgent. Even if you have the Urgent yourself you have to accept the quest from the guild marm for it to count towards your rank up.

It wouldn't normally be a problem if I could reliably get some people into a lobby. I'll probably have to hit up the goon irc to make these happen in the future... which honestly is probably the best way to play anyhow. It took four different groups to finish my HR2 Urgent because pubbies kept taking enraged purple blasts to the face. :suicide:

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Oof, that jump in damage from LR to HR is just vicious. I went from thinking I was over geared for the Shaggy fight to feeling under geared for this stupid crab. Got carted twice from being oneshot by the water laser and went through a whole stack of mega potions.

Also, it looks like Shagaru armor is statted for LR? I was hoping it would bridge the gap like the Cedeaus in MH3, but doesn't look like it unless I'm missing something.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'd rather fight a giant Rhenoplos or Konchu. A huge Konchu with baby Konchus piled on!

Honestly the not-a-horrific-hellbeast monsters are some of my favorites. It's a shame they don't get more of a spotlight outside of the dumb collectathon quests.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yeah I'm not sure that the people who say axe mode is useless really understand the versatility of the switch axe. Sword mode is powerful sure, but the combination of reach, mobility, and power the axe gives is kind of ridiculous. Need that tail? Oh sure I'll just stand back here, swing up, sidestep, swing up some more, rinse & repeat. Combo into sword mode when the monster flinches or gives an opening, sidestep out when he turns to face you.

Basically leveraging both modes lets you apply constant pressure while staying mobile. Only sheath if the monster runs away or if you're a huge pussy.

e;fb

Chumpy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 24, 2015

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

ShaneB posted:

I just upgraded to the new 3DS XL and bought Monster Hunter 4 and have never played a Monster Hunter game ever and I am scared. :shobon:

What things should I avoid/do as a newbie?

Be patient with this game. It's a mile deep despite appearances, and will probably feel terribly clunky and poorly designed at first. It's not (for the most part), but it'll take experience to understand why it's built the way it is.

Also, you know that saying about how if moving something hurts, then stop doing it? Same here. If you're getting your rear end kicked or something feels unfair, then you're just doing it wrong and need to find out why. It will happen and will piss you off and you'll want to set the game down for a few days. Give it time, you'll be gibbering about plates and desire sensors and pubbies like the rest of us eventually.

Oh and don't feel like you need to do all of the "collect 10 boar asses" quests you're given early on. The quests tied to progression open up after you've completed all of a number of "key quests". They're not labelled as such, but I think they're usually the latter quests in the list, and are pretty much always the more substantial "kill a massive hellbeast" type missions. There's no shame in looking up which quests are key via a guide. Honestly that goes for most the game really, you'll find yourself researching a lot once you get hooked.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Just killed Cephadrome in C7 for the first time... how the hell could they include this boring Plesioth ripoff and not Nibelsnarf? I almost got carted near the end of the hunt because I was falling asleep. I'm really torn about the monster selection in this game. I'm loving most of the new additions, but how could they leave out Arzuros, Qurepeco, Uragaan, Lagiacrus... and yet we get several varieties of Gravios (and Basarios, same thing), both Yian Kut-ku AND Yian Garuga, etc.

Basically I'd sell my grandmother for a MH5 with all of the monsters from MH3. Except Gobul. gently caress Gobul forever.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
People liked Gobul? I would never have guessed. Those bullshit hitboxes, constant bodyslams, and lantern-flash stuns combined with the sluggish water controls nearly made me ragequit when I first played. I hated him enough that I farmed out all of his weapons and armor just to help genocide the bastard (not to mention the swimming armor skill from him was pretty useful). But to each their own, I guess.

I found Nibelsnarf pretty easy and entertaining. Making him gobble up bombs never got old.

Edit: Gobble? Gob-ul. Gobul? Is that intentional? poo poo, I never realized.

Chumpy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

The answer to both is dragon. All fatalis versions deal and are weak to dragon damage. crimson also deals fire but is weak to ice too.

Also, is it possible to fight normal Fatalis in the caravan? I just realized I've been farming the crimson one this entire time. :psyduck:

So how do you feel about eggs?

• Locked thread