Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
In the interest of maintaining my habit of buying non-pc stuff a generation late to save money, I just upgraded from my OoT3D Edition 3DS to the NES Edition 3DSXL.

poo poo's cash. Also much more comfortable to hold.

Speakers suck rear end tho.

Sometime this year I'll pick up a WiiU and a PS3...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rudoku posted:

But you didn't save any money this time, unless you got one hell of a deal on that XL.

Uh, I got the XL for $170 new after tax, and the non special edition new New 3DS was $200 before tax so...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

io_burn posted:

In discussions about video games I've learned to just assume everyone is so broke they're practically homeless. We could be talking a difference of close to six months of panhandling or allowance payments before being able to afford the difference between a new and old 3DS XL.

I could afford the New 3DS, I just don't really care about the features. I don't plan on buying Xenoblade since I own the Wii version and haven't gotten around to beating it.

I have doubts about Nintendo actually taking advantage of the improved hardware (see DSi shovelware), and while the nubstick would be useful for Monster Hunter, that's not really my series.

So while the price difference is small, I personally don't have a reason to spend the extra money.

Now I probably would have pulled the trigger if I could have gotten the Majora's Mask bundle. I love that purple finish.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh... the Majora's Mask n3DSXL is a metallic gold.

Huh? Then what am I thinking of...?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Haquer posted:

No clue, but the MMn3DS looks loving awful, don't buy it

Huh

What's this from?

E: drat tiny watermark :argh:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Does anyone still play Bravely Default?

I missed the boat on it, but am checking it out now and enjoying it, but I'm not getting any hits on the online friend units thing.

Well, some, but not many.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Commander Keene posted:

I just popped onto my 3DS and sent a Friend Summon and updated data, so my stuff is now out there again.

Oh, awesome!

Does it make any use of Friend Codes, or is its "friend" system entirely separate?

My FC is: 0774-5682-0042

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Commander Keene posted:

I forget what does what in Bravely Default, but there's Streetpass, what you get when you "Update Data" at the Adventurer (which is from internet randos who also picked Update Data), and 3DS friends, the last of which does use your system's Friend Code.

Mine is 1264-0166-6813.

Added!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Aw, drat.

I played the heck out of the first game, and I heard the rest were very good. Maybe I should pick up one of them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

SeANMcBAY posted:

You should play them all. Some are worse than others but it’s a good series overall.

Which one is the closest to the original in terms of mechanics? I really enjoyed the original's RPG esque traits.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

YggiDee posted:

The Atlus games are the only ones on that list I'd consider notably hard, but it's a hallmark of the franchise. However I do recommend you at least take a long look at Shin Megami Tensei IV, it's a very good game and it unlocks an easy mode after you get your rear end kicked twice.

Deleted rant about Strange Journey. Love the plot, atmosphere, music. Hate gameplay

What's the difference/relationship between SMT4 and SMT Apocalypse?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ryuga Death posted:

I've never played a Monster Hunter before. I heard the most recent one, World, has fights that last for a really long time. Is it the same for the 3DS versions and is the game just fighting different monsters over and over again?

Most "fights" take about 10 minutes. You usually have 50 minutes to "hunt" the monster, but that includes time for tracking it.

Monster Hunter games are all about hunting monsters for parts to make better gear, then using that gear to hunt bigger monsters and get their parts, etc

That's the whole loop.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Get World on PC and join us! It's a gorgeous game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
The Dreamcast theme is the only correct answer.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BisterdDave posted:

That would be amazing if it did though!

I thought MN9 ended up being kind of a wet fart? Or at least that's what I recall being the vibe from around when it launched.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wish there was a handheld that was just a Dreamcast in the 3DS form factor now.

:emptyquote:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Random question that people may or may not know the answer to:

Where does the 3DS store Virtual Console game saves, and what format are they stored in?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How do I use cheats with a hacked 3ds? I ripped my FE:Fates carts and have been playing them digitally, but I don't know how to enable cheats.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Any reason why some games (digital) aren't showing up in Checkpoint? Do you have to have launched the game for it to show up there?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is it possible to extract the save from a GBC virtual concole title running on a 3DS for use with a PC emulator?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Walla posted:

I need to finish grinding castle battles in Conquest.

Also RIP New Leaf.

Does New Leaf only function with online services? I don't know remember it being that way.

I've hardly ever used the online capabilities of any Animal Crossing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Interesting. I had no idea, although it makes sense - there's a community for that with New Horizon.