Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Can you turn off face tracking if it sucks for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rudoku posted:

But you didn't save any money this time, unless you got one hell of a deal on that XL.

This is what I'm thinking. The new3ds came out at the same msrp. It's pretty drat reasonable comparably unless you are buying used.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So does the data transfer copy my SD card, or just do the nid? Not that copy and pasting is hard. Just want to know.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Just say a display model in best buy picking up MM and the on sale GCU.

The head tracking worked really well. I'm impressed. I'm going to defiantly pick one up when it's in stock again. For the improved 3d alone.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Martytoof posted:

What do you guys think is a sweet spot for SD size? 32gb?

Yes. That's 10+ of the biggest games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

io_burn posted:

Can someone give me some as spoiler-free help as possible for Majora's Mask? (I have no idea how I didn't play this when it was first released.) So I've got the Bomber's Notebook and have filled it up with people who I've met and it shows a timeline for each of them, but how do I get the game to populate those timelines with events I can do? Presumably, for each person in your Bomber's Notebook you will have subsequent mini-quests to do for them at a specific time on a specific day... But how do you figure that out? I just finished the swamp temple and the game is telling me to head to the mountain temple but I feel like I'm missing a ton of stuff not exploring interacting with the NPCs in the world throughout the three days. (Like I don't have Epona, only have one bottle, etc.)

I'm trying to avoid just following a GameFAQs guide for this as it's pretty refreshing playing a Zelda game with no idea what's happening but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in the mud looking for extra stuff which maybe I just don't have access to yet?

Theres stuff you can do now, but for a lot of it you need more items. You should be fine beating the next dungeon and everything that involves and then doing side stuff.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So what are the chances of the N3ds being the DSi?

Are we getting a 4ds in a year that has proper 3d out the gate and a real second analog input? Im concerned about dropping 200 when theres not a lot of games on the horizon and Nintendo won't wait long to unify hardware.

They arent going to release a lot of games thata need the n3ds tech because that really cuts into the the user base. Happened with the DSi.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

SNES and Game Boy emulators, plus a way to add your own custom themes instead of being limited by the official selection. That's about it. The region-free hack ended up not even using it.

That's what it is: a new revision that is perfectly ignorable.

Ah, you seek the wisdom of the Internet in reading the future. If you are taking bets, Nintendo will make a new handheld at some point. We are two years away from it at a minimum.

When's the next event where Nintendo will announce it's next batch of games. Maybe there will be something exciting that makes me watch to jump. Now it's just vague promises of a new fire emblem.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

I play a lot of 3DS and I pretty much have 2015 spoken for with what I already have and know for sure are coming out this year. I'm even discovering that I love some games I never expected to like. The 3DS library is absolutely loaded right now.

I'm more talking about new games that would require me to get a n3ds.

I'm not a MH fan and I'm more then halfway through MM without it. no coming soon games made me think "I need to play that on a n3ds." But maybe they will announce some.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Has anybody bought used 3DS games from Gamestop online? Did it come loose or in a case? I doubt it did, but it'd be nice.

Yes. Came in a blank white case.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I've given up on getting a N3DS this century, and instead ordered a circle pad pro for my OG XL. Should be getting here tomorrow.

Question, on the CPP the right stick is actually another circle pad, but what is it on the N3DSXL? It looks like one of those mouse clit nub thingies you get on IBM ThinkPads, is that the case?

Yes but reports are it works better then those. Don't know why they didn't add another full pad which would work even betterer.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Because they can save the second full pad for the ~true 3DS successor~ and people will buy it right up.

^^^ Also that, unless loads of games start using second pad control it's just a waste.

Well they would probably use it if it existed.

Also, I have that feeling about the true successor and am torn on getting this model or riding out my xl. I'd love a proper duel analog setup and some improved graphics. It's 2015 and we're sitting between an n64 and a GameCube here.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess it just depends how many N3DS-only games they wind up actually releasing. Can't see why someone would make a game for a system with a much smaller install base than the OG 3DS platform that only comes with seemingly minimal graphical/memory upgrades.

Agreed, I can see some improved games. But I doubt they will launch a flagship title that a fraction of the used base can't play.

4ds will be backwards compatability though, with amiibo support from the start

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

lelandjs posted:

I downloaded and played Pokemon Shuffle for a bit. There's a bunch of things suggesting that it's bound for an iOS version, probably sooner rather than later. The game is pretty much IAP iOS game.txt, combining the top and bottom screens for an iOS port would work perfectly on a portrait device like the iPhone, but most notably the game doesn't take advantage of any of the 3DS' "exclusive" features--including 3D.

That's right, Pokemon Shuffle's top screen doesn't even offer 3D functionality. It stays flat, no matter how much the slider's pushed up.

So yeah, I'd say an iOS version is inevitable.

I wonder if they developed the game as a cellphone game, then decided against it and threw it on the 3ds cause.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Liquid Penguins posted:

I was ready to do a system transfer but now I'm sending this fucker back. Isn't this why amazon refuses to sell their hardware? How hard is it to hire QA?

Amazon? Hahaha. Look up any electronics on amazon and click the 1 star reviews they are all DOA or hosed up products. That happens with electronics, hate to say. Sit happens dude. Return it.

Lol amazon being too high and mighty to sell loving Gameboys.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Any idea when the next round of in stock will be for these? I'm kind of scared to trust a goon for a beef jerky sale. Just want a black one :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Why the gently caress would they not make xl faceplates? It makes no sense.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Wireless transfer just does everything with no mucking about right? Just takes a long time.

How long is 'long time'. I can setup at lunch then go back to work for some hours.

I don't have a micros adapter is the annoying bit.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someone said about an hour per gig. Probably depends on connection. Do the computer transfer if at all possible. It's infinitely faster.

Boy am I glad I didn't play the entirety of Kirby Triple Deluxe on my 2DS. It's absolutely gorgeous on the New 3DS XL. I think I can wait a few more days for Kirby's Adventure 3D. I have a feeling they might put it on sale in the next few days.

drat that's slow. You can wireless load the data from pc to the n3ds correct?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Great news, when I found where I had stored my microSD adapter, I found 3! At least Im consistent.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

FYI, 3 Target stores near me restocked this morning. Got a black, they had 3 red and 3 black.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Got my system transfer done at lunch. Took longer then expected, but went fine.

#followthefuckingvideo

Had just enough time to boot up MM and shoot some arrows to confirm that stable 3d and gyro aiming is the best thing loving ever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

gyro aiming + stable 3D feels like it's the future. if they actually COMBINED them to, say, alter the HUD perspective in real-time based on face-tracking... can you imagine???

Can they do this? I assume the face tracking is a higher lever hardware function that the games don't have access to. But maybe on the 4ds.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How hard is it for someone new to get into Monster Hunter?

Also how grind is it, I know you gather stuff to make potions and such.

I will play solo if that matters.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Its easy and MH4 has the best tutorial out of all of them. And if you want you can play MH never doing the same quest twice for dozens of hours, drop rates and armor recipes in the beginning are forgiving enough that you'll get all the parts you need just playing naturally, grinding is totally unnecessary until high rank.

Cool. Is it like ffx where you could beat the game and then do 200+ hours of grinding to fight the insane bonus bosses? Or just fight poo poo until you've had your fill. Is there plot?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thanks for monster chat all. Sounds like it's worth a try, gonna play the demo and see if BB ever gets any back in stock before they stop there 10 gift card with it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Ordered my New 3DS Black and a 32gb PNY microSDHC card

Good yeah?

That pny does not come with a adapter, so you might need one of those to laptop transfer.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah the one I got has an adapter.

Got a tiny screw driver?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Why do I need a screwdriver? (I have a whole set of tiny screwdrivers.)

You're probably man enough to undo the back of your n3ds because you already own tools. Some goons are terrified at that prospect and its funny.

Literally watch the video in the OP and do what it tells you to. Dont ask why. Oh and say no to system transfer when you turn it on, because you need to do a system update on the new console first, thall save you getting 2 steps into the process and your n3ds telling you that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I'm pretty sure I can guess on what to do.

Pop open the plate, copy from old SD to New SD (after making a back up on my computer JUST IN CASE!!!!) then loading new SD in the 3DS.

Nope, watch the video.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Why would you need to watch a stupid video the 3DS literally tells you exactly what you need to do and exactly what's going to happen during the process

Because thats not enough, and the videos not enough. Nothings enough. Hire a goon for beef jerky to do it for you.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Maybe someone can help me, because so far my 3DS -> N3DS transfer is a big failure.
I followed the guide and did the system transfer, no problem. Then I copied the contents of my 3DS' SD card to a new 32GB microSD, via PC/USB.
Aaaand... nothing. None of my games recognize the save data. Was it supposed to also transfer the eShop games? Because they don't show up either.

What did I do wrong?

Did you have the new SD card in the nu3ds when it "deleted" everything on it?
My point is you may have a formatting problem. I assume you still have to SD card from or files. Nintendo has a formatting tool you can get to format the microsd and then try putting data on it.

If that doesn't work then ???

You can go to the eshop and try to download a game you k ow you bought to see if your licence transfered properly. You may have lost your saves if nothing works but you can redownload stuff.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

No. You sure you did the transfer? You saw pikmins for like 20 minutes?

There's a point where it says to transfer the data to the new SD but it's telling you what to do after the transfer happens.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Saw the Pikmins, which took a while yededeah.
Huh. Kinda out of ideas. Did you try to see if you can download a game you bought before? See if licence transfered.

Or maybe the 3ds doesn't like that brand micro? See if you can look and see how much storage is left in it.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 20, 2015

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

You can't start from scratch, your old 3ds wiped itself and it doesn't hold your licence anymore.

Junkie Disease posted:

Have you guys tried drawing fake eyes on your forhead, could trick the head tracking from human mode into Muppet.

I have to know of this works.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sounds really weird. Since its letting you download games. Maybe your data got corrupted in the transfer or something.

You can call nintendo, but sounds like your saves might be dead. I'd try another SD card for fun if you have one around.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

If I'm a sperglord who wants all physical copies of my game, is there any real reason to upgrade the SD card in my nu3DS? My last DS was the original silver phat DS, so I don't exactly have anything to transfer.

No. You can always upgrade later if there are some eshop sales or something.

Upgrading is literally copy/pasting to the new SD if you decide to.

The transfer malarkey is to transfer licences for purchased games that you don't have. You don't have to deal with it at all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I figured, but was unsure since the whole 3DS thing is still new to me. Thanks.

No problem. Make a Nintendo Id when you start it, unless you have one on a wiiu or something.

Your purchases are tied to your Nintendo Id account AND the system. Because nintendo. If you buy all physical you can resell games and never have to worry about this. But some very good games are eshop only or hard to find and also they have great sales sometimes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Guess I'm dumb, because it turns out I did the system transfer onto the default micro SD :downs:
I copied that one's content on the new one and now my eshop games are on the home screen with all data. Oops. Glad to have my 60 hours of CC back though!

Now you owe us beef jerky, as is the custom of the 3dsgoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Where do I buy a hori, amazon is sold out.