Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Etrips posted:

Toys R Us carries them.

Sweet. 3dsxl work for n3dsxl I assume.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

FYI best buy has monster hunter copies with a 10 gift card bonus for sale shipped to you.

With GCU that's 22$ effectively.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I have a conundrum: do I play Link Between Worlds first, which I have never beat, or do I play MM first, which I loved much as a kid?

This is a rough call :(

Everyone should experience Link Between Worlds. Maybe the smoothest prettiest game on the system.

(MM is great too, play it again later)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Manky posted:

But why there are more Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros now than Star Fox characters? I was totally unfamiliar with the series until I unlocked Marth in Melee back when.

Well that's when I discovered the series.

Who the gently caress are these guys? Oh there's a GameCube game of it coming out...holy shot this is amazing!

But even if you were playing Melee back then you might have just thought it was some Japan Sword dude, who cares.

Everyone play Fire Emblem if you haven't what's wrong with you its amazing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

There's an interview out there of the devs stating they were on the verge of closing up the series because of bad sales. So they built a game with everyone's ideas smashed together, including ways to get new players into the series. They wanted a game that appealed to their old market as well and that is why FEA is what is with all the DLC that it has. Post release interviews confirms this was a success.

Appealing to everyone makes everyone buy your game. NEWS AT 11.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Merv Burger posted:

I'm in the same boat since I got the new 3DS. My Xbox 360 has gone unused since I built a new desktop towards the end of last year and now I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it and buying a Wii U.

Wiiu is awesome and you can get 90% or other Console experience on pc. Wiiu is its own thing like the 3ds and is a good system.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I just went out and bought a WiiU. Thanks for the peer pressure, jerks :mad:

I'm super excited for you! I have kids so ymmv, but my WiiU is used literally every day. Plus new Zelda soon. Plus hyrule warriors is the best Dynasty warriors game ever made. Plus all of it. You are in for a treat.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

IRSmurf posted:

They've been out of stock since launch day. If it's not in-stock in your area, you can't even place an order for one in-store, much less online. I gave up waiting and bought the cart at Gamestop.

You could yesterday afternoon briefly when I bought one. Sold out and hour later. Already shipped too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Duro posted:

See, I won't have access to my PC for at least a few months, and I was thinking of getting the New 3DS cause everyone is raving about it being a great console, but I'm not into "whimsical" games and I'm scared that it might be a bad purchase for me.

I can a see a few 3ds games that might interest me (platforming Mario games, Mario Golf, maybe Kid Icarus) but I mostly play Shooting Games, Sports Games, Racing Games, online Survival type games and Arcade/Twitch games usually.

Would the 3ds be worth it for someone that has no interest in Zelda, Monster Hunter, Pokemon or any of the bonafide "must have" games on the system? I'd consider myself a very casual gamer, I don't tend to play for more than a couple of hours at a time/per day

Vita has some bad shooters, and rogue legacy, binding of Isaac, and crap like that. Might be a better fit for your bad game tastes. More bro console then 3ds despite it also being super anime. But honestly no handheld seems like a good choice based on your preferences.

How's fire Emblem strike you? It's mission based and can be as light or heavy strategy as you want. Might be the one thing 3ds has for you.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

The vita is really good, actually. As is the 3ds

Also yeah the vita sounds like a better portable for him than the 3ds

Are any shooters good? BL2 is a joke, and the 2 I got with my used vita sucked.

Just want the guy to know vita is not a good Console for his fps itch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

I have a large amount of disposable income and I wish to purchase a handheld gaming console, but I'm really leaning towards a PS Vita over a 3DS. Why is the 3DS better?

Especially with the new 3ds face tracking, 3d is amazing and a experience you cannot get anywhere else.

Many good fun games, unless you really like anime....

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bird Law posted:

I read a few articles online saying that GameStop was giving $100 trade in credit for a 3DSXL toward a n3DSXL, but the site shows it at $70. Has anyone been able to trade their 3DSXL for $100?

I believe that was towards preordering the N3dsxl. A lot if stores were cool with you doing a system transfer then bringing it in too. Think you missed the boat.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

strategery posted:

So I just got my first 3DS in the form of the new 3ds. I borrowed Zelda A Link Between Worlds. I Want one more game. Monster Hunter or Fire Emblem?

Theres a demo for both games. Fire Emblem is the more accessible of the games with a very good amount of content and customizable difficult and experience. MH is MH, if you already wanted it as a fan you would not be asking the question.

Fire Emblem is a good choice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, even if he is right about people being confused over the naming conventions, his company is responsible for that massive gently caress up.

Yes, but also who cares.

This threads advice for the last year+ has been "Yes get the xl" nobody in America wants the dainty system beyond those face plates, which there's no drat reason they couldn't have put on the xl. Well maybe not nobody, but I feel safe assuming most people who want a n3ds wont have 'no tiny version available' as the factor that makes them not buy it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm curious to see how long it takes them to drop a new2DS on the market, because that's something that's inevitable with exclusive new3DS games coming.

game.

Im really skeptical about how many n3ds only games they will make seeing as it splits their install base in the worst way. I think you will see a lot more games that are gimped but still work, or look a bit worse.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fremry posted:

Just coming in to report that A Link Between Worlds is loving fantastic. I got it on Friday and finished it yesterday. I haven't had a game that I powered through like that in probably 15 years.

Do hard mode. It's what the game should be.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Etrips posted:

Anyone use Decalgirl skins? Might think of picking one up since the gloss is driving me bonkers.

I have one on my ps4 that makes it look like an NES.

Never used any other decals to compare, but I thinks it's great. Looks hood, easy to apply. Now that I see they're making them I will get a 3ds if I see one I like.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Etrips posted:

You can get them in matte or gloss.

Oh snap, Xenoblade skin

And there it is.

I knew any of the clip cases posted would eventually be available in decal form. I got the black nu3dsxl because I figured it would match with whatever better then the red one.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I played it for a while, but I got stuck when I had visited all the rooms and done everything and could not find a trigger to advance.

I couldn't find any guides online either so I put the game down and never looked back.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Poke fun all you want but Nintendo uses poo poo screens, m8

One screen yellow-tinted the other's fine, horrible backlight bleeding, poo poo trapped under the screen on brand new devices. These are all common complaints found online going back from the DS Lite and still to today.

The sooner you admit this the sooner you can be miserable, too.

Mine looks perfect, sorry you are bad at picking the right box in the lottery of life.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

precision posted:

The first Resident Evil: Revelations is really cheap on 3DS, is there any reason not to just get it instead of the PS3 port? I don't feel like turning my PS3 on these days since I got a PS4. :\

The ps3 port looks and plays like a 3ds game blown up. It's dual analog and all buy it does not feel good to control like every other resevil since 4 has felt.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Well doesn't the system transfer move everything from the current SD card over to the new one in the new system? If not, that sucks because I don't have an SD or micro SD card reader for my computer. My Chromebook has an SD card reader but I don't know if that would work.

You can if you do the wireless transfer and it takes forever from reports. Hour per gig forever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Edit. Your situation will have barley any hassle.

spasticColon posted:

Well the only things I have on the SD Card are the Ambassador Program and the patch or update for Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

Then just do wireless when you transfer, top option, still will take a while so if you don't have 2 chargers make sure they don't die on you.

The wireless transfer should do everything, as in your start screen will look the exact same on the n3ds.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So I've had my new 3ds for a week and I have to say I am really impressed.

New features on technology are often gimmicks or useful but forgettable. I write this from a note 4 phone that I never remember has a stylus that does some pretty cool things. That said face tracking is the single greatest bit of technology I never new I always wanted. It works SO good. I never thought that they should put it in a 3ds (perfect sense in hindsight) when I read about it I didn't believe it would actually work. But drat if it doesn't work amazingly. I always loved the 3d and it is worth the upgrade price for that alone to me.

Still forget the nub exists even playing MM that supports it. Gonna switch to MH4 soon so that might change.

If you are on the upgrade fence I suggest going to a Best Buy or whatever you have local and putting your hands on with the face tracking. The immersion of 3d works a lot better when it's not breaking all the time.

spasticColon posted:

I only have one charger so its buy another charger or a card reader that will read SD and micro SD cards. Now I know why people have a love/hate relationship with Nintendo.

Or watch it and if it takes over a 2 hours switch which one is on the charger. How rude of Nintendo to offer a not slow option if you happen to have the hardware lying around.

Watch it, like I said.

You're being a bit of a Negative Nancy if you pardon my french.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 24, 2015

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sade posted:

So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a decalgirl skin for my red n3DS XL. Has anybody bought from decalgirl? Is the quality pretty decent? How much does the color of the system show through? These are the ones I'm looking at:

https://www.decalgirl.com/custom/1192459/1366/no55
https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/256113/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skin-Retro-Horizontal

However I'm concerned about the red of the system showing through and making these look tacky. Any thoughts?

I've bought for other systems. They're good quality. 100% opaque.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Blowing into Nintendo products is a time honored tradition after all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Despite the tagline, I have never ever felt the need to catch them all in any pokemon. I tried the shuffle and when I got the trinity during the tutorial, call it a day I'm done. Don't think it's fun enough to grind them to evolve.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Bravely Default goons,

I started playing yesterday and am in chapter one. I decided to do the side quest where you get the thief class before I went south of the desert city. I got the class and defeated the thief but am getting my rear end destroyed by the French sounding merchant in the town.

I don't want to look up poo poo in a guide because I am weak and will rely on it instead of just playing. My question is, can I go forward to do the main storyline quest and come back after doing that dungeon south of the city?

That game is 50% grind when stuck, 50% you are not using a synergistic enough party. Early game you can grind to advance, so do that now. You might need to spend more time in areas in general to avoid hitting walls.

Later you NEED to find crazy skill combos or look some up. It was fun playing when it first was out and people in the thread had crazy new things they discovered, I am sure now there are some known best combos out there.

So if you do guide it you will find the best combos, grind a bit or try something yourself before you go that route, just know in the endgame you might need help.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

littleorv posted:

I am not a fan of the Final Fantasy games but I absolutely adore the SMT games. Would I enjoy Bravely Default?

Hell no.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Pretty sure people posting about striping screws are trolling. There's no way to strip it unscrewing, it free spins. I think it clicks and turns if you overtight too.

I don't know how to strip it if I wanted to.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I mean, I can see how the angry video game rear end in a top hat on destructiod could write an article about how Nintendo made him break something cause they are mean and make changing the battery almost as difficult as every toddler toy.

But actual real life nerd that can't use there glasses screwdriver to undo the easiest error proof screw.

I don't buy it. Pics with a goonname or it didn't happen.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

io_burn posted:

So on a scale of 1 to unscrewing two screws, what's the overall difficulty level of installing one of these skins both properly aligned and without air bubbles?

It's way easier then a screen protector, how but that?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 25, 2015

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

io_burn posted:

I mean I swapped my SD card no problem, but I always seem to have one errant piece of dust under screen protectors no matter how hard I try to create a clean room with all the tricks the internet has to offer.

It's thicker and stretchier and bendier then a screen protector, just line up the holes and go. Do stuff with holes first. If you mess up you can pull it back and start again. Also it's not clear so if there was lint or a air bubble like you'd get on a screen protector I don't think you could even tell. Shits easy.

You can't physically see any lint it's opaque.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

So I'm one of those guys that just hosed this up....the rubber band snapped and hit me in the eye, and the screwdriver slipped and gouged the back of my 3DS. Suck my dick you loving human being.

Not even quoting it right.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yessssss. I've been staring at Curtain Call for a while but 30ish was the lowest I've seen. In stock near me too, bought online for store pickup. Done and done.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^I keep hearing this, but golf...

Fryhtaning posted:

lol if you think your Curtain Call investment stops at $15.

Is there lots of dlc?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Can't wait to play threatrythm on the n3ds speakers!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yes. Curtain Call for 15$ I am one step closer to having all the 'good' games on 3ds.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 26, 2015

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

If you buy it used, hope there's a cleared game file on there.

The one annoying thing about Master Quest I'd the overworld stuff is all the same so you end up doing that twice to get those dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

epsilon posted:

Last question of the day from me, M&L Dream Team, what's the consensus on this title? $15 for price matching a Nintendo first party title is almost always a great deal. I know Sticker Star is generally regarded to be trash...

It's good and long, replay value is lacking, haven't looked back after beating. But I bet you can resell it for near or even over 15$ when you are done. Not really a risk. I regret buying it digitally.