Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That I picked up one of the last new retail 2DS XLs at the start of 2020 has continually proved itself to be a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I kinda wish I had decided I wanted to get 2/3DS sooner than I did and could have gotten a retail New 3DSXL. Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D Land both had parts clearly intended to show off 3D that were wonky to play without it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Having played both without the 3D, I'm not gonna lie I kind of wish I had snagged a backup N3DSXL instead of a 2

Yeah, both of them had obvious 'USE 3D HERE' sections, which Mario even had the icon on screen for. Link Between Worlds would hurt my eyes after a while because I needed to focus more to see the subtle depth in dungeons that indicated different levels within a room.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been playing Samus Returns and I really like it. I've normally been cold on the 2D Metroids but it has been grabbing me more than any of the others have. I'm looking forward to Dread when it comes out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Running an online store does have a lot of upkeep costs and needing to take care of any security issues, changing legal requirements across countries and what have you. Its not something where you go can just go, 'eh, it runs itself' and not worry about it. There is a point where the business cost is too high for whatever perceived value comes out of an old store if you're Nintendo/Sony/whoever.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
3DS DKC Returns is pretty fun, I bought it twice between my two times owning a 3DS. You should use the updated difficulty mode if you play it. The original mode is brutally hard and the updated one is the basis for Tropical Freeze's base difficulty.

I don't know the general consensus but I liked 3DS Starfox 64.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also are the Donkey Kong Land games actually different from the console and if so are they actually worth playing?

I had all three of the DKL games on the original Game Boy and loved them at the time. They are different games and levels. DKC1 has the biggest changes since it has environments like a city that didn't exist in DKC1. DKL2 is the most similar. DKL3 is all unique levels using the same types of environments.

e: For $4 each at least get DKL1 and see how you vibe with it.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 16, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Fawf posted:

Also certain parts of the game were particularly tuned for a dogshit framerate and are absolute nightmares at full speed

There were a few of the shooting minigames where the only way to beat them on WiiU was to hit the pause button constantly so you could move the sticks to the right position between the menu coming up and going away.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm really glad I decided to get a New 2DS right before the plague when the old stock was still semi readily available. I probably didn't get into any deep cuts but its a great feeling device and it had so many good games on it.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 22, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is my collection. The 2DS itself is one of the grey and purple ones with Mario Kart 7 preinstalled. If I see any other games left in stores that are cool I'd get them but I think most everyone has cleared it out by now.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Heath posted:

I'm just waiting for someone to put out an atomic purple case mod for the 2DS XL

I miss the era of all transparent game consoles. I got the Forza Xbox controller to bring some of it back.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I saw a store with 2 physical 3DS games still in the game case. Sushi Strikers and Smash Brothers, still both full price.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’ll be worth triple that in a year or 2 so still a good deal.

I bought Pokemon Sun after playing Ultra Moon because the Pokemon thread convinced me it has a way better story. Looking at the differences between the original and Ultra versions, I'm less convinced of that but now that I have a sealed copy of the game I'm going to hold onto it and see what happens if I don't end up playing it.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 30, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Im considering trading them in and picking up something else. Wooly World, DKC Returns or maybe the Luigi’s Mansion games 1 and 2. Suggestions?

Wooly World would probably feel very similar to Epic Yarn. DKC Returns is good but not as strong as the sequel. Both Luigi's Mansions are still really fun. The sequel especially has one area that gave me a Resident Evil vibe that I really liked the snowy cabin one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My real advice would be Yes, All Four if possible. For Donkey Kong Country Returns, I highly recommend the updated difficulty setting. It makes it more like Tropical Freeze's level. Its still hard but the classic mode is total bullshit.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Heath posted:

Are there any "hidden gem" 3DS games to be aware of, preferably available in physical format? I've been beefing up my collection since the eShop's demise is imminent. I've got a couple of things, mostly RPGs, Ever Oasis, the Kirby games (minus Extra Epic Yarn which is evidently insanely expensive for some reason).

Extra Epic Yarn is expensive now? I grabbed it at the end of 3DS games being stocked at regular retail stores and I was just getting anything that seemed like it could be good.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Wild, maybe because the new Switch Kirby boosted interest in Kirby generally?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I’m buying Sushi Striker at a regular store tonight

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been playing Sushi Striker (which is super fun) and I am really glad that I bought my 2DS. It is such a great system.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The WiiU gamepad was so great

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Gamepad was an evolution of the 2 screens of the DS.

I think the ultimate reason for the end of the Nintendo 2 screen concept was that when it was good it was Really loving Good but a lot of times is was completely extraneous or minor.

Having the map always available to you instead of a menu screen covering the gameplay would have fit BotW perfectly. Being able to see the landmarks in front of you compared to the map like the video would have been exceptional.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Heath posted:

I mean, six years ago there wasn't much reason to think an underpowered quasi-portable system could fit into the design space either, and yet here we are

Nintendo has been making underpowered devices for a long time. The full value of “you can play the same game at home or on the go” is realized by every game instead of needing to intentionally design for the second screen.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Some of Mario 3d Land and Link Between Worlds was a bit of a pain on my 2DS. I managed but it involved a lot more guesswork than intended.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Epic Yarn is extremely cute even on the Kirby scale

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was curious and physical copies of Extra Epic Yarn are really loving expensive online. I bought mine in a Target in 2020 when it was one of the hand handful of games they still had. The last physical 3DS game I bought in a regular store until I found Sushi Striker last year.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There are also legal rules about things like parental controls that some countries have that change and could still impact stored credit purchases. Letting people redownload stuff they already bought probably has less rules and covers them if governments ever get to making laws like "you can't remove access to purchased digital content."

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are there any compatibility issues with original DS carts played on the 3DS family?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

flatluigi posted:

any news on poketransporter working again since they broke it with the eshop closing? they made pokemon bank free like they said they would, except transporter still checks to see if you have a sub

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Since I have a New 2DS XL, I've been thinking about trying to get a 3DS while they're still $$$$ instead of waiting and them becoming $$$$$$. Is there anything that known to be potential issues with New 3DS XLs other than the batteries eventually needing replacement?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Getting really close on pulling the trigger on a new old stock New 3DS XL. As long as it is actually what it says and the battery hasn't exploded inside it or anything it should be good.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The 2ds batteries are up on Nintendo’s site as of this post
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-rsoc-103975/

I ended up ordering a New 3DS XL. Hopefully it ends up being in good working order. I’d like Nintendo to get some more of those batteries in stock in case I need them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Waltzing Along posted:

Just gonna point out those are batteries for OG 3ds and OG 2ds. Not the new versions. Well, not the new 3ds, and I'm pretty sure not the new 2ds, either.

Internet said that the New 2DS still takes those ones. The original 3DS XL and New 3DS XLs need the bigger ones.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The other battery that’s listed for the 3DS xls is up https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-rsoc-103976/

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm full of nervous energy getting this charged up for the first time

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I took this out, everything did seem good for it being legitimately new old stock. I’m just really anxious to get it charged and turned on so I can make sure everything is working as expected. My replacement battery should come later this week if I need it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They’re well above that now based on what I saw online when I picked this one and used ones I’ve seen in game stores around where I live.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I did not realize that the 3DS carts held the save data. I thought the saves were on the system. I didn't want to bother taking the time to transfer but I guess the only thing that would have really mattered was moving the preinstalled Mario Kart 7 from the 2DS onto the 3DS.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Interesting, I guess I'll eventually discover if any of mine have that. I also had forgotten that system transfer was a thing in general on the 3DS family since it was never relevant and this whole setup ended up being a lot easier than I was expecting.

I found the Samus Returns amiibo in a store yesterday and I'm happy I'll be able to jump right into Hard Mode with the Fusion suit when I want to do it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm really enjoying how the 3D works on my new 3DS, its much better than the 3DS I briefly had when Pokemon XY came out. I wish I had gotten into this before many years after the system was discontinued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, they should've done what Sony was (rightfully) bullied into and stopped at eliminating financial transactions through the storefront, because that was the only real security concern.

If the money's already in the Nintendo account, there's no reason to be worried about the 3DS saying "Buy me this game" to the server, because anything past that request is handled server-side.

Was the wallet between the NNID and the Nintendo Account shared? I thought part of their problem was that the systems were disconnected and a mess. Sony’s path was easier for them because it was the same PSN account.