Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm half considering restarting just to go through a tutorial and then going back to it. But thanks, I need to figure out the buttons and the jobs themselves and my experience where I was. I don't even remember why I stopped but it has been several years.

If you restart let me know if it saves your Streetpass data between files, I tried to figure it out a while back but couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the reminder to occasionally check the eShop for sales, heh. The Monster Hunter series is also on sale, for like the fifth time this year.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

George Kansas posted:

God that looks great. I won't get it, but I want it!

Not an emptyquote.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
$70 is a lot, but the case I have is starting to wear out quite a bit so it's awfully tempting...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Spellman posted:

Yuge price drop on Culdecept Revolt & Severed

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/culdcept-revolt-3ds/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/severed-3ds/

I purchased Severed on a previous sale, but just decided to boot up my Wii U to see if the trailer was true: You get to download it for free on Wii U if you purchased it on 3DS, or vice-versa

Severed is a good weekend game, I'd recommend it at < $5 for sure.

Culdcept Revolt got recommended to me in another thread but I already have so many RPGs to play on this thing. But what's one more :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
No idea who this person is, but remember that this poo poo is shutting down at the end of next month-
https://twitter.com/DragonCatalyst/status/1620097848762310657

Yes I still need to hack my 3DS. I'll get there eventually!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mierenneuker posted:

very hard to obtain*

*for player characters with a lawful good alignment

The most convenient method involves using the free-to-play Pokemon Picross. I don't think it stops functioning when the 3DS eShop shuts down, but you should definitely consider downloading it from there and setting it up ASAP.

Oh yeah that game rules, I thought I had heard that it was an easy in-road for hacking.

I still have a little money left on this thing for whatever reason, but at this point I have so much to play that I'll probably just see if anything I already own has DLC that I never picked up. :files:ing whole games can wait until I've actually booted up everything I own at least once, which has been a fun recent weekend project.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The whole WayForward catalogue in on sale FYI, as well as the catalogue that includes Steamworld Digs 1 and 2.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Capcom's stuff is now on mega-discount for the rest of the month, if you didn't pick up anything from the last eight times it's gone on sale in the last year. Kind of wish that I liked Phoenix Wright more than I do...

Also, was that this thread or elsewhere that somebody said the Mega Man Legacy Collection was just OK?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I bought Spirit Of Justice last time Capcom did a sale and I don't know why I didn't think there would be so much talking, but there was and it got really tiresome about halfway through the first case. That said, for $3 I can see myself taking a flyer on the DS trilogy around 11:55 PM on March 26, and then immediately getting mad at myself for doing so.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 11, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

Also with the 3DS store on the verge of collapse, is WarioWare Gold worth $40?

$40 is a little steep but I liked it a lot. It's kind of a greatest hits of OG WarioWare, Twisted, and Touched, so if you liked those titles then this is all of those in one game.

I'm simultaneously surprised and not surprised that Nintendo isn't bothering to put any first-party stuff on sale.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

If I’ve never played a Monster Hunter game and know nothing about them, how happy would I be if I bought Monster Hunter 3, 4, and/or Generations for $3.00?

I've played all of those, 3U was my first MH game but I definitely got the most time out of 4U of those three.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Every games preservationist sliding into that guy's DMs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone ITT have insight into how the Save Data Transfer Tool works? Thinking about moving data from a Monster Hunter 4U cart to a digital copy, but that's motivated by the fact that my 3DS likes to randomly act like the cart isn't loaded into the system when it is (AFAIK I only have this problem with this specific cart), and I'm worried about it having one of those episodes happening mid-transfer and messing everything up. Especially since the transfer tool then wipes the cart after transferring!

VV Yeah yeah I'll get to that eventually, thanks for the reminder.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 21, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Did anyone ever play that Fragrant Story game that got a physical release a couple of months ago? It's $2 on the eShop, wondering if there's anything there to justify buying a weird piece of 3DS history.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sure, but is it a fun game?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Last day to get your purchases done! :retrogames:

Did all mine last night and ended up with < $1 in my shop account, feeling good about that. Now to see how much of it I'll actually play!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

I just checked the eshop, demos are no longer downloadable but game patches ARE downloadable. No idea on DLC

At some point over the weekend I swiped every demo that was still available lol. I figure that once I get into 3DS hacking, I can at least use said demos to figure out games that interest me before :filez:ing them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I can't download Transporter because I never had a paid Pokemon Bank sub :negative: But apparently it's only for moving 'mons from Black & White which I don't own so whatever?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had money in my eShop account that I wasn't going to get back out, might as well spend it and have fewer things that I "need" to pirate later? :shrug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RichterIX posted:

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the clumsily named 7th Dragon III Code: VFD. I don't have a broad enough knowledge of JRPGs to give you a really apt comparison for it, but it shares some DNA with Etrian Odyssey if you're into that.

I played the demo of that on a lark and liked it, a little sad that I didn't pull the trigger on the full version (because I ran out of money, and also I have a hundred other games to play on this thing).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah drat, guess I'm testing all of my 3DS carts this weekend. My MH4U cart has already been acting up as of late...

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 5, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Commander Keene posted:

It kinda depends on the game, most games have saves on the cart, but some have them in extdata. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the 3DS Monster Hunter games save their save data in extdata, and Persona Q has save slots on both the cart and the console.

Monster Hunter 4U definitely saves data to the cart, because my 4U cart has gotten super-unreliable lately and I'd very much like to play my 250+ hour file on my copy of the game that's saved to my 3DS (but I'm worried about using the official Nintendo save data transfer tool due to the aforementioned cart problems)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
lol, good thing I switched off Wi-Fi after the shop went down. Guess this will be my late-night project this week.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Shots fired
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1672288633703809024?t=Ym3TYVl8aX7PYL-PCqE2Ew&s=19

I still need to do a first-time mod of my 3DS :( Haven't downloaded the latest firmware at least!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

hatty posted:

Rip my Monster Hunter backlog

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are hacking questions OK in this thread? Finally giving it a shot after years of dragging my feet and of course I'm running into a problem during the CFW setup, and the official Discord isn't being that helpful...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Saoshyant posted:

Sure, shoot them up. Were you following the https://3ds.hacks.guide/?

I'm attempting a first-time CFW install on an Old 3DSXL, running 11.16.0-49U firmware and going with this guide (the one you posted). Section 2 Step 5 reads-

quote:

Do not press any buttons or touch the screen - ensure that you see the Mii Maker icon [in Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Extra Data]

Does the entry for the Mii Maker data have to be on-screen during this step, or is it enough that the data are present in this menu? I'm hitting an infinite loading error on Step 13 of this section, and the only deviation in Section 2 that I can think of is the fact that my console's Mii Maker data are way at the bottom of the list, which would necessitate pressing buttons or touching the screen in order to scroll over to it and have it on screen like the instructions seem to demand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, but I actually found a workaround by formatting a second SD card and using that to do the initial install, then swapping back to the my original SD card for the remainder of the setup. Seems to have worked so far...now what do I do with all of this hacked stuff? :v: Checkpoint will allow me to copy a save file from a cartridge onto system storage, correct?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I completely forgot I am the OP of this thread. I’ve been out of the 3DS game since the Switch came out, but I recently picked one up for super cheap off FB Marketplace.

I forgot how much I like this system, I’ve always been a fan of the glasses-less 3D, and now that we’re in the age of having to strap a VR headset to your face to experience stereo 3d, the display is almost even more impressive in its simplicity.

Anyway, the 3ds is really good and thank you for reading my livejournal. I’m off to play Mario Golf World Tour.

I keep taking my 3DS on trips and never playing it, but my upcoming trip is gonna be different dammit.

If I somehow manage to get a Streetpass in the airport I may die of happiness.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That really stinks but I'm also curious to hear about how your 3DS ended up submerged in vinegar of all things.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Getting a USB cable to charge it with instead of having to bring the factory one with wall wart definitely made me bring mine more places. It's not like the factory charger is huge, but it is a little awkward compared to just plugging it in to my laptop or travel USB hub.

Yeah I have a USB charging cable for it that I use for travel, it was a good pickup.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh I wasn't razzing anyone, that's just a really specific way to wreck your console. I'm sorry :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
drat, rip my dream of finishing off MH4U's multiplayer. Unless I engage with this cheating that I haven't touched since modding my system :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

tango alpha delta posted:

Dumping my physical DS cartridges is astonishingly simple. Did you know that The World Ends With You is only 128 Megabytes? That’s some serious optimization.

What cart reader do you have, and does it do more than DS carts? Interested in dumping my physical Nintendo handheld collection (at least the stuff older than a 3DS) and just having the Ur-Handheld for everything I own.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Small Strange Bird posted:

Tried to softmod my 3DS, but it hung up every time after reinserting the hacked SD card. :smith: The troubleshooting page said it could be a problem with the Mii Maker data, so I might try again with a blank formatted SD card and try to put my saved stuff and downloads back on it later.

This is what I ended up needing to do, but it did fix whatever issue I was having when first installing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hoping that none of my panic purchases that I haven't actually booted up yet need a first-time server check-in or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've not actually tried this yet, but apparently some folks have copied Streetpass functionality online (via homebrew, natch)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z50tuxYvAO0