Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

So if you bought a higher capacity micro SD card, say 64 gigs, would you have to reformat it like you did for the old 3DS cards or is the newer machine able to deal with it?

You still need to reformat it to FAT32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

How is the face tracking? I've read mixed things.

Fantastic so far. It got me to actually use the 3D.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is there any way to start the master quest in OOT without going through the game once?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Well, I probably won't be buying it then unless I can get it used and know that it already has a cleared game there. I just don't have any desire to play through the normal game first.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The stylus controls didn't feel good to me so I use buttons. Just use whatever works for you, you can do everything just fine with both styles.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope they get a screen with a non-poo poo resolution next time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Unless you are really only interested in the characters from Persona 3/4, Etrian Odyssey 4 is probably a better alternative to PQ.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome! posted:

i do not regret buying a vita

I do not regret getting a free Vita.

(Persona 4 Golden is Fantastic)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Big... Dog posted:

it isn't anime if you turn the volume down

Silent anime is still anime.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

What are the good exclusives on the Vita?

Persona 4 Golden and some other animes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The second screen is the best thing for RPGs. I hope they never get rid of it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Some news on Theatrhythm Dragon Quest: S-E announced that all the DLC tracks will be free.

So they announced that the game won't have any DLC?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome! posted:

the mh4u palico theme is the best theme you can buy on your 3ds

Snake eater puts up a pretty good fight.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

For those of us that aren't hardware engineers, what do any of these acronyms mean and what are the implications of them?

It's better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Code Name STEAM has an almost retina-like (whatever the right term is, pixel density?) quality to it

No it doesn't.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

elf help book posted:

As you get better, you'll be able to better focus on both.

And then you get even better and ignore the visuals again because who cares about those 100 hours in.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The rear end Stooge posted:

So Shin Megami Tensei IV is pretty cool. I picked it and Soul Hackers up during the sale, never having played a SMT game before, and I'm really digging the mix of a medieval setting with futuristic technology. It's hard as gently caress though, I must have died half a dozen times in the training area before I summoned enough demons to fill out my party and help me defend myself. I really like the distinct voices the demons have, too; one of them accused me of being a pimp when I tried to convince him to join me by promising him opportunities to meet lady demons.

The difficulty is really frontloaded in SMT IV. After the first major area it gets much easier.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So you can get a three minute demo of a really old game with your amiibo?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Maybe nintendo should have thought about not releasing a handheld with the resolution of a graphing calculator while iphone is 1136 x 640

So that's the reason PS Vita is crushing the 3DS in sales.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Vita has no games people with normal brains would want to play

Neither does the iPhone but that doesn't stop them from making tons of money. Are you seriously arguing that the 3DS would have sold enough to compete with phones in sales if it had better hardware?

(Yes, I'm aware that there some alright games on phones)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

There are a lot of VERY good phone games, but almost none of them are F2P. Some of them cost as much as THREE DOLLARS.

e: Forgot Super Stickman Golf and Flappy Golf are free

Three dollars!? Do you think I'm made of money or something?

Now excuse me, I'm off to play Bloodborne on my PS4 that I bought just to play a single game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Millions&Billions of people played angry birds

If only the 3DS had the hardware to run angry birds.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm not saying angry birds is good, but a ripoff low res version of a game everyone already has on their phone isn't the ticket

The point is that the success of phone games has very little to do with superior hardware. The people who play mainly angry birds wouldn't have bought a 3DS even if the 3ds had much better hardware.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

First two are. It has nothing to do with Layton and is kind of like Ace Attorney lite, I think? I liked the first two cases, but I haven't gone back to finish yet and I'm not sure if it works on iOS 8, since Ghost Trick and that awful The World Ends With You port broke on it, so I might not finish it at all.

They still haven't fixed the twewy port?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tyma posted:

The option for Japanese voices is gone

Good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

greatn posted:

It's not a moral choice, just a space saving measure.

It's obviously both.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

majormonotone posted:

The Dolphin HD upgrade chugs like crazy at certain points if your computer isn't amazing and apparently has audio desync problems so idk why everyone brings it up

Does everyone just have a much better computer than anything I've used?

I ran it (+ the texture pack) with a 4 year old machine a year ago with no problems. It took a bit of fiddling with the emulator settings to make it perfect but after that it worked like a charm.

Are you sure you just didn't have bad settings on the emulator? Emulators can be a bit fiddly at the best of times.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

Both of those look like poo poo to me though? It's serviceable and playable, but it doesn't actually look good.

Also, dang lots of emulator / piracy talk on here lately. That's cool.

Assuming that everyone who played Xenoblade on dolphin pirated the game always leads to good conversation.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

majormonotone posted:

I'm sorry that I, like most people, don't have the time to build a nice fancy gaming machine or the money to buy one that's already made??? I just feel that for a lot of people running it in Dolphin isn't necessarily a (feasible) option.

A friend of mine also mentioned the game chugging at Agniritha on his nicer gaming machine, but I haven't experienced that firsthand

A new 3ds isn't a feasible option for many people either but people still talk about it. Comparing versions can be really useful for people who actually can choose between them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Welcome to every JRPG in the last decade.

Go buy a console/gaming PC and buy a Dark Souls game or Bloodborne to wash the filthy taste out of your mouth.

Acting like JRPGs were ever any better than they are now is really loving stupid.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fuzz posted:

You guys clearly missed the tongue in cheek aspect of telling him to play a Souls game. It's practically an SA meme nowadays.

If you want a decent western RPG for real, Witcher 1-3 (still not totally RPG, but closer than most) or a Bioware game.

Or Pillars of Eternity. :getin:

The problem with jokes like that is that they are indistinguishable from real comments.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Maybe instead of complaining about jokes you could spend your time doing more fulfilling things, like playing Dark Souls (ideally the pc port but the console versions are fine as well).

Sorry, I'm too busy playing Bloodborne to play dark souls (again).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Your answer is basically "well, there's stuff in it" but I'm trying to find out why it looks horrible graphically alone. Did cramming everything they needed to on the game mean the game had to look horrible in the process? If that were the case, why didn't we see something that was multiple releases or hell, being Nintendo, multiple cartridges.

The problem is processing power, not physical space.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo should put Dark souls on the 3DS. The game might need multiple cartridges but aside from that what could possibly be a problem?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eh, the resolution didn't bother me because it's a first-generation glasses-free 3D display. There's gonna be limitations, and we've already seen them improve upon it with the n3DS's Super-Stability. A next-gen handheld'd probably manage 3D at a much better resolution though (if they keep it in).

I would trade the 3D for better resolution and hardware in a heartbeat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terper posted:

The demo has fetch quests like "Collect X stuff from enemies", the full game has nothing like that, just fyi.

Yeah, the boring part of Bravely Default is a lot worse than that.

(Bravely default is great)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

BD isn't anime...

It's anime.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's impossible, because Games likes it.

Games just likes to live in denial.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

This is a horrible way to release a game.

Wasn't Awakening almost the last fire emblem game and it only continued because of the unexpectedly great sales? It seems really weird to me to try such an unusual release after your big hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If both of the campaigns are actually similar in length to awakening, I won't be complaining at all. I'll just be happy to get twice the Fire Emblem.