Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Majora Mask is awesome, though I'm having some trouble with a lot of the side quests/events. For example, I thought I was doing great with the missing husband-to-be quest; I established where he was, that he was wearing a mask, and double confirmed it by following the postman when he dropped off the letter for him. "Ah HA!" I thought. "Now that I know 100% for sure that this is the missing guy, I'll finally be able to accost him and finish this quest!"

Motherfucker turned around and went back inside his shop without a glance in my direction even though I was trying to stab him with my sword out of frustration.

Guess I'll ask around town some more and then what I need to do to complete the quest should be obvious.

[Edit: just looked up spoilers. Goddamn it this is the ONE TIME I didn't actively try to get into someone's house in a Zelda game. Sigh.]

Wind Waker is still my fav 3D Zelda but Majora's Mask is quite good. More games should try out a Groundhog Day style mechanic.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, I'm embarking on a 3d-movie-via-plex adventure, so I'll let you all know how that goes.

:aaaaa: I never even thought of that possibility, definitely interested in knowing if that works out. Probably not something I'd want to do on the regular but could be fun once in awhile.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

For 3D, obviously.

And I can confirm that Plex works on 3DS AND that any side-by-side or top/bottom formatted 3D video file, in either orientation, is compatible with the 3DS Web Browser's Video Player!

Well, the file I just tried didn't work. It's in a .mp4 container but has .aac audio, maybe the audio track is the problem?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some of us have gotten to see it twice :smuggo:.

OG 3DS -> 3DS XL -> Smash Bros 3DS XL -> New 3DS XL

Three times :smugbert:

At some point the circle pad on my first XL stopped working properly, it got really resistant, almost kinda sticky (no idea why or how, when I dissected it it seemed to be just fine but was still sticky when I reassembled it). It wasn't really a problem until I got SSB4, which is how I ended up with the Smash 3DS XL.

And I told myself I wasn't gonna get a new 3DS but after I happened upon one at Wal-Mart after everyone in the thread was talking about not being able to find/secure one I figured I had better snap one up. I'm pretty happy with my decision, too, or at least I will be when Xenoblade drops.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

epsilon posted:

You morons did notice that someone has already offered to keep an eye out right? That's really all I was asking for, was someone to check as they're tooling around in whatever store. Stay salty though dipshits.

You do realized that everyone's poking fun at you because of the way you wrote your request, right?

Like I don't think I've seen it in the 3DS thread but elsewhere in the forums I've seen people pleasantly ask goons about picking up and sending them a hard-to-find item and people being totally cool (and in some cases it's actually successful).

If you had just straight up said "Hey, I really want a new 3DS XL but it's not in stock anywhere around me, if someone sees one could they pick it up for me? I'll reimburse you for shipping." the worst that would have happened is that you would have been ignored.

But that's not what you did, bebbie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skeezy posted:

I'd imagine Nintendo would probably make mobile games using characters they have. So while VC games or Majora's Mask on the App Store might not happen, something like Pokemon Shuffle would make sense on the store. The Puzzle and Dragon's Mario Game could work on a phone if they themselves published it or something.

I downloaded and played Pokemon Shuffle for a bit. There's a bunch of things suggesting that it's bound for an iOS version, probably sooner rather than later. The game is pretty much IAP iOS game.txt, combining the top and bottom screens for an iOS port would work perfectly on a portrait device like the iPhone, but most notably the game doesn't take advantage of any of the 3DS' "exclusive" features--including 3D.

That's right, Pokemon Shuffle's top screen doesn't even offer 3D functionality. It stays flat, no matter how much the slider's pushed up.

So yeah, I'd say an iOS version is inevitable.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh god I just wasted $5 of money I had leftover on my eShop balance catching Mew in Pokemon Shuffle what the gently caress is wrong with me

[Fake edit: It's okay I just put my 3DS down and walked away

...but I'll be back in 17 minutes when my hearts are done recharging]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

Oh god I just wasted $5 of money I had leftover on my eShop balance catching Mew in Pokemon Shuffle what the gently caress is wrong with me

[Fake edit: It's okay I just put my 3DS down and walked away

...but I'll be back in 17 minutes when my hearts are done recharging]

Ahahahaha it turns out that the 17 minutes were to get ONE heart back. Now it's a half hour to get a second heart. That's actually worse than most of the iOS IAP games I've played. Like, twenty minutes will refill five hearts in Card Wars.

I'm gonna try closing the game to see if it'll still recharge when it's closed so I can play some Majora's Mask. Probably won't work, but we'll see.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

io_burn posted:

It's exactly like Candy Crush and the other King games which recharge one live every half hour to a maximum of five.

edit: You can also trick most mobile games by disconnecting from the internet, setting your clock ahead, and reloading the game. There's a good chance that works here too.

Ah, I've avoided those King games because I knew there the worst of the worst. Only reason I went for Pokemon Shuffle was, because, y'know, Pokemon.

As for the clock trick... :effort:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any particular reason that people know of that would lead to the Club Nintendo site being down again? I found a stack of 3DS code slips last night and wanted to see if I had any unredeemed ones (and realized that I had yet to redeem the code from my Smash Bros XL) but the site is kaput.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 21, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saoshyant posted:

Refer to this precious autistic poster and the continuous mockering of said individual.

Aw darn, he bought himself out of the red text, now how will people know of his ways?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw the post about the New 2DS XL on Reddit and thought it was a joke. Watched the YouTube video and uh

This might just be the nicest looking version of the *DS console Nintendo has released, and the trigger buttons and c-stick actually look usable now?

Goddamn it Nintendo you've already claimed like all of my yearly videogames budget with the Switch, why do you want even more from me

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn it Nintendo is releasing the New 2DS XL on my birthday weekend.

You'd think, after having owned four versions of the 3DS, I'd be done...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

what

why

why are you guys buying this?? just to save $50? You're not really saving money if you're buying a console you had no plans of getting as of this morning though...

what does it even do that other models don't, i'm so confused right now (doubly so at how excited some of you who already own a 3ds seem to be)

I want it because it looks nice. It has also the features added in the New 3DS, which are, in order of useful to pointless: better CPU, (faster loading times in some games and SNES VC), Amiibo support (bonus poo poo in games), and C-stick and ZL/ZR buttons (only used in a select few games that support them). To add insult to injury, the nearly useless C-stick and ZL/ZR buttons in the New 3DL were really poorly implemented--your thumb jams up against the hinge when using the C-stick (they actually cut a bit out from the hinge to help, but it doesn't) and the ZL/ZR buttons are tiny and make you adjust your grip on the console to push them (maybe that's just me though)

Basically the New Nintendo 2DS XL® is what the new 3DS should have been in the first place, and that's why I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's also the fact that the last time that Nintendo released a surprise console revision to a portable console following a new portable console generation release it was the Game Boy Micro, which is now one of the most sought-after versions of the GBA. So there's the "future collectable" aspect to the New 2DS XL as well IMHO

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 28, 2017