Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the size of the display on the reduced screens is the same as the Nintendo DS' screens, so the reduction in screen size on the XL is a lot less jarring.

Playing in the DS' native resolution on the 3DS results in a super tiny screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

The thing that confuses me is the formatting on the card. There is no information about how the card needs to be formatted. If it is not placed in the 3ds before the data is transferred, it might not be formatted correctly. So, right now I am doing the system update, then I will let the 3ds format the card and see how it goes.

If it's a brand new card, you don't need to format it. If it is a used card, Nintendo has you covered.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

As in, the home button doesn't do anything while you play a GBA Ambassador game? No functionality? Or it closes the game?

No functionality. It's literally a GBA built into the 3DS, and that's what the Ambassador games are running on.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

precision posted:

Oh my God gently caress this spider boss in Luigi's Mansion. I'm normally not Bad At Video Games and this is only the first boss. Do they just get worse from here on out? Because god drat this thing is a fucker.

That's actually the best boss in the game. The rest of the boss fights get so much worse and not fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Worked perfectly. Thanks for saving me from a panic attack. THANKS!

For the record, that's only a temporary solution. You might have to open up the 3DS to fix that permanently.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, Bravely Dedault is really bad. Not really sure why people like it. After a certain point, any good aspects are flung out the window.. Groundhog day. 4 times!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm not complaining specifically about those chapters. I'm complaining about its terrible design decisions in general.

Let's look at it this way. Basically, the only thing you have to do in the game is battle. That's it. That's the one thing the game lets you do. This is supposed to be so good that it makes up for there being nothing to explore. Remember, this is a roleplaying game. Games like Etrian Odyssey and Persona get away with there being nothing to explore because either interacting with the characters is highly rewarding or the dungeons are massive labyrinths that make up for it. But not in Bravely Default. The towns are just menus, the dungeons are corridors with a few token puzzles, and tilesets get reused again and again even before the game starts to repeat itself. And interacting with people produces minimal results.

No idea about Persona but the point of Etrian Odyssey games are that you're exploring the dungeons. It's a dungeon crawler, not a full fledged RPG.

quote:

Why are there still save points?

You can save at any point on the world map or in towns, just not in dungeons. I didn't like the game, but your complaints are very silly.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm pointing out that if turning off random encounters improves the game, why include them at all? If you enjoyed just beating up the trash mobs, then we don't enjoy the same things in a game and that's fine too.

This is because there were two versions of the game. We got the second version which added stuff like the random encounter slider. You couldn't turn off random encounters in the original game, and chapters 7 and 8 were exactly the same as chapters 5 and 6. Yes, the time loop thing could have been much worse.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dream Team is pretty bad, but for $15 it's fine.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PQ is pretty much a worse version of Etrian Odyssey, so I'd skip that and pick up EO4 or EOU if you're interested in dungeon crawlers. Can't say much about SMT IV.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I did enjoy Persona 3 and 4, but if the underlying gameplay isn't there, I'll give it a pass. Is the story at least good? I'd probably enjoy it if writing was solid.

I wouldn't say the writing is good. Unless you like the characters being reduced to one note jokes, like Chie talking about meat all the time, and Teddie being even more insufferable.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If you're fine with playing 2/3s of a game, go ahead and get Bravely Default. Just know that a section of the game is a huge waste of time and one of the worst examples of padding.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I price matched it at TRU. I almost did it at Walmart but they wanted to be human being assholes about it and wouldn't do it because "it's out of stock there."

gently caress you Walmart.

E: Ace Attorney question. I just met Sal Manella. Uh...how the hell was this localized? I mean, do they have l33t sp34k in Japan? Or did they just rewrite stuff to make things more American? (Suck sores?) :laffo:

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. But the game was localized in 2005. I doubt he would've talked in leetspeek if the game was localized today.

vvv Yeah, pretty much that.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 12, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Guys, I'm looking for more games that have the SNES/GBA 16-bit art style for the 3DS. Almost exactly like what Shantae does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9f67LN_PQc

Have you played Shovel Knight? It's a good game. Though it's more 8-bit than 16--bit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A 2DS should be fine for her. That thing was actually designed for children.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

So uhhh... Anyone know some good decal girl skins?

e: I'm an idiot, please help me hide my shame.

Holy poo poo, I can't believe this is real.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Is super glue flammable / meltable?

Close the thread and goldmine this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Is IPS the better screen? Because it's what I got on my N3DS. That said, how does this really matter?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Etrian Mystery Dungeon isn't! :v: But yeah, it's probably just better to wait for a sale on those.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is pretty drat awesome. I'm having a great time with it so far and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

I guess I could have waited 3 months and bought it for like 15 though.

If any of you liked Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's mechanics, but thought it was too easy or something, I recommend picking up Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

Saagonsa posted:

Just a warning, the story is very much not the main focus of EO games.

Yeah, Untold's the exception, not the norm to that.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 9, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Uh, the combat system doesn't really change that much. If you don't like it now, you're not gonna like it at the end of the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Why does Xenoblade visually look horrendous?

It's a Wii game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No, you can't even let the box appear at all, which means dying less than 5 times in every level except for the very last one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

64gb SD cards do work, but it'll only use up 32 gigs, so you want to just get that one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh whoops, I must have been mixing that up for something else. Sorry.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Can't say that I'm really that excited for Paper Jam after seeing the Treehouse coverage. It really doesn't look that fun, and just seems like Dream Team 2. :barf:

Bass Bottles posted:

If I wanted to play a Mario & Luigi game which would be the best to try?

Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story. Skip Partners in Time and Dream Team.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I haven't seen the treehouse footage so I remain cautiously optimistic. And the worst thing about Dream Team was it was really loving slow, so even if it kept the same mechanics and things I would probably still enjoy it.

The battles had about the same speed as Dream Team's. :negative:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

okay i'm playing bravely default and fuckin lol are they seriously going to make me play through the entire game again? i guess this is "that part" huh

Nope. They're making you play through the game 4 more times.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Apparently all the RNG stuff in the game takes up a lot of processing power according to the devs. On top of everything else. Which was too much for the regular 3DS. But yeah, unless the programmers at Nicalis are wizards (pfffthahahahaha), there's no way that game will run properly on a N3DS.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

They got the rights to the La Mulana remake by promising they could use their connections to get it on WiiWare. Five years later, it released exclusively on PC.

Don't forget that it got dropped entirely by them, and the only reason it got a PC release was because Playsim picked it up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

How long did it take for Nicalis to patch the Wiiware version of Cave Story?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Aren't they just rhythm games, or is there something I'm missing?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

VideoGames posted:

why do people dislike anime? is it because there is some questionable kinds?

if so, isnt that true of all media and kind of weird just to single the one kind out?

Hating anime was a thing on these forums a long time ago, and it's just really dumb now.

And yeah, you've got a point with your second question.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Really, the low point of the DLC is that the bosses haven't been changed at all and aren't really balanced for Plague Knight. They're either complete cakewalks or brick walls.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

jivjov posted:

Blum himself told it to me; so maybe they've just had similar experiences?

Yeah, it's not uncommon for VAs get roped into doing one specific voice a lot of the time.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 7, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm not a big fan of how the gameplay was handled in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but I still found it more fun than Etrian Mystery Dungeon. (disclaimer, last PMD I played was Time and Darkness.) EMD is just a huge slog and not that fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

How is Rune Factory IV? Was maybe thinking about getting it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Duo posted:

So a while back I was looking for a copy of Shiren the Wanderer for DS in a couple local stores but couldn't find it. I played it some emulated and really liked the rogue aspects of it. I could just order it but I was wondering if I should maybe just get something like Etrian Mystery Dungeon instead? I do like Etrian Odyssey so I'm sure I'll enjoy the setting. But I was just wondering if anyone knew how similar it is to Shiren the Wanderer? I don't mind if things are more streamlined or have quality of life enhancements but I also don't want it to be too watered down either.

It is a slog and poorly balanced. I'd just keep looking for Shiren instead of grabbing Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Is The World Ends With You worth getting if you mostly dislike JRPGs and the only one that ever really grabbed you was ChronoTrigger?

I can't really say. What do you not like about JRPGs, and what did you like about Chrono Trigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

Glad to hear this. When I get a game I feel obligated to play through it and this one kinda feels like a chore. But I never played any of the DKC games before so don't have any nostalgia for them.

The first 3 DKC games had smoother controls. The characters didn't feel as heavy as they were in Returns. Also rolling was mapped to one button, and you didn't have to be moving to use it. You might want to try out 1 and 2 instead. 3 can be skipped.