Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Possible, though my frames aren't exactly thick, they aren't exactly thin either. In the super-stable 3d setup, it seems to get tripped up if I cover my eyes. Lenses could potentially do that if it's a strong prescription. All guessing though.

I have extremely thick lenses and it seems to work, but I also have thin frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

...Am I the only person whose fingers never touch the bottom of the 3DS while playing? I keep my thumb on the control stick/face buttons, my index fingers on the shoulder buttons and the rest of my hands around the middle of the 3DS. Like, how do you even accidentally touch the power button?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bird Law posted:

I read a few articles online saying that GameStop was giving $100 trade in credit for a 3DSXL toward a n3DSXL, but the site shows it at $70. Has anyone been able to trade their 3DSXL for $100?

That was a special going on before/right after release. They've dropped it to its normal trade-in value now.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

A bad one. You wanna know how nuts I am? A major reason I returned the new 3DS is because I notice a weird "interlacing" when I slightly move the system; I remember the original GBA having that but my old3DS XL didn't have the issue so it was like a downgrade for me to spend $200.

:smithicide:

Dude, that was the face tracking 3D adjusting. It's fine if you didn't like it, but it was normal.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

jabro posted:

I decided to see what all the craze is about. I've never played a Pokémon game and barely even know what kind of games they are. I think you collect them, whatever they are, and have no clue what they do when you do. What would be a good first Pokémon game for me?

They're children's JRPGs. X/Y seems to be the what everyone says for new players, because ORAS is very nostalgia driven. Just pick whatever Pokemon seems cooler on the cover.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yep, that's their size.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

That's a large picture of a tiny screen

Because phones apparently save the biggest pictures they can.

EDIT: What I really want to know what I did differently than everyone else because I have intact hinges on my release DS Lite while everyone else's seemed to have hinges made out of butter.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Is super glue flammable / meltable?

Don't put a flame to your $200 toy.

Why would anyone do this to their $200 toy.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Very much so, yes. All you really need to know is to not go actively hunting sidequests - there's hundreds of them and you will burn out on them if you try. Just grab a few while you're in a town before going out into the local Region to do story stuff.

Xenoblade's one of the few games where just saying "I'm 10 hours in and got bored" doesn't tell the rest of anything, as you could very well have hosed about doing sidequests in the first area.

Do you have any recommendations on which types of sidequests to choose? Or is it all "just pick a few that sound good"?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've been accepting every single quest I come across since there's no limit to how many active quests you can have going at once. Due to their nature of "kill this" or "find this" you complete a good number of them just by progressing through the game or filling out your map. It's a game that really rewards exploration.

Oh man, it's one of those games. I'm hosed.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a decent comparison for Harvest Moon and Rune Factory? Like those SAT questions, Harvest Moon is to _______ as Rune Factory is to _________. Basically, I'm looking at Story of Seasons, but I don't know if I'd like it at all. I've wasted over 500 hours into Animal Crossing during one season, but HM looks more like a game geared towards marriage and farming, two things you straight up don't really do in Animal Crossing.

Knowing that, I was looking at Rune Factory too given how it's apparently just HM with monsters which sounds rad as hell.

AC is nothing like HM and RF, except in the sense that they are all slow paced games with no win condition. HM is all framing and friendships and things decorating and foraging are side activities. I'm not to familiar with RF, but I'm pretty sure it's HM + an RPG.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

flyboi posted:

I bought some Wonderswan stuff from Japan and in typical fashion they included a little Japanese gift:

A set of terrible sets of pocket tissues I'd never pull out in public

wtf is Yokai Watch anyways? Some sort of Digimon ripoff?

The series that's taking Pokemon's audience away in Japan.

It's a mon game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Thanks to Project Mirai, even I, a hardcore VOCALOID fan, discovered a new favorite song. (That song is Your Body Temperature/Kimi no Taion.) Shame there's no cosMo song though and that it's much easier than the mainline games, at least on tap mode.

Also thank god for canon-accurate Daughter of Evil and Servant of Evil PVs. If I could wipe all traces of fan PVs from the planet... *grumblegrumble*

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 10, 2015

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

Aren't they just rhythm games, or is there something I'm missing?

idk if you actually give a gently caress, but Miku is one of a million mascots for Yamaha's vocal synthesis software VOCALOID, albeit the most popular one. Songs are written by fans, called "producers". It's an indie community, basically. While there are a decent amount of cutesy/weird idol songs, there's also poo poo like this.

(more common is stuff like this)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Afaik though all the songs in the actual games are by normal j-pop bands and mostly not weird at all. And I'm only putting mostly there just in case because I can't remember them all.

Hachi (who can write this and this as well as this and this) has a song in there man. Also mothy, who has written 45 songs (plus light novels plus manga...) about terrible, terrible people.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 10, 2015

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

The important thing to take from this is that Miku is good.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

Miku is cute. Buy Miku and stop being mean to Miku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdwlyRrHmQk

why don't you just stab me it would be a faster way of killing me.

forever happy it's the version from Do Vocaloids Dream of Doomsday Bird? because i like my remixed album versions

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Maybe I'm just not anime enough, but man is it uncomfortable to see a RIn cover of Romeo and Cinderella. I mean, it's already about the perils of underaged sex, but there underage and then there's underage.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

why do you keep making weird posts

because vocaloid is loving weird and no matter how much i try and ignore the shittier parts of the fandom they keep slapping me in the face

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

that's because you are looking in a mirror.

i'd really really hope not because that mirror looks like a male Japanese otaku, two of which i am not

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

look just stop posting

i don't even understand what i did wrong other than go wtf kikuo and wtf crypton/sega but whatever you can think what you will

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't played it but there's no real gimmick to this one; the selling point is "it has all 99999999 Pokemon/forms and all the old mechanics from the old games and a zillion dungeons".

Well that already makes it sound better than Gates to Infinity. Just needs a decent plot now.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The Lobster posted:

Hey guys, I have a TON of Mew codes, like 15 or so, to give out, if anybody is interested, but it ends today. Post on here if you want one (max two) and I trust you guys to do the math because it's first come first served. In the morning I will post my email and you can get your codes then. I will be as prompt as possible.

I'd like one. Getting to GameStop is a bitch with no car.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh no, a cardboard box has some dents in the corner. Whatever will you do.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mabels big day posted:

Will the gen 1 vc games be on the eshop at midnight?

I think so, because they went up on the Australian eShop at midnight there according to a friend of mine.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If PokeAmie is one of the things taken out by the "we can't have nice things" squad at Game Freak, I will laugh.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

pizza valentine posted:

Buy X or Y now and if you really love it buy Sun or Moon when they come out.

This. There's no plot to catch up on; technically all the main series games are on the same timeline but outside of throwaway NPC dialogue, it never comes up. The only thing is that starting with newer games makes it harder to play ones from older generations if you want to due to game mechanic changes over time. But there's really no reason to start early if you just want to get a feel for where the series is now.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cbear posted:

Are the new pokemon 3ds bundles worth seeking out? Or should I just buy a normal one and digitally download?

Depends if you want the upgraded features. It only really matters for Smash and Monster Hunter, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sun and Moon end up having some enhanced features if played on a n3DS like playing Gen 5 on a DSi did.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Broose posted:

I lucked myself into a reserved-cancelled 20th anniversary new 3ds. It is my first handheld since the pre-clam game boy advances. I take it the system transfer stuff doesn't concern me since I've never bought anything from nintendo? I'm looking for more games than the OP gives. I just bought Bravely Default since I liked the art style and it got good reviews. Next is Rune Factory 4, Link between worlds and ocarina of time. Pokemon xy was there too but I'm worried if I would like it or not, and then I also don't know which one to get x or y. Is there a Z coming out?

There's no Z coming out; instead Gen 7 is coming during the holiday season. I would look up the version exclusives for X and Y and make your choice from those.

If you like simple turn-based JRPGs or collecting poo poo, you'll like Pokemon. It's a very charming series. There's also the competitive scene, if you're into that.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They didn't explicitly say so but the big gimmick for Sun/Moon seems to be pokemon/trainer fusions which is something they apparently introduced in the anime?

Why do you say that? We have no Sun and Moon info other than name, some concept art, a wireframe model, and a vague release time.

The Ash-Greninja thing is likely to end up anime only.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Getsuya posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the 3DS Hatsune Miku game has that Rondo song on it. Better get that too so I can get that song even more stuck in my brain.

I'd be ok living with the cutest song created by man for the cutest reason stuck in my brain forever.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's just a rogue-like battle system, right? Is there any nuance to combat or is the focus more exploration? The only Pokemon spinoff I ever played was the Pokemon rangers one and I actually really liked drawing circles to defeat giant rock monsters and Muks, but Mystery Dungeon sounds interesting, even though I know it isn't like that.

Mostly exploration, but some dungeons and bosses will kick your teeth in if you don't know how to use items well.

I'm all out of Reviver Seeds after I was turned to stone and it sucks.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nintendo also wants a perfect emulation of the game running on an actual SNES. Consider a scene early in FFVI, in which two characters slide under the battle menu during an in battle cutscene.

When the game is played on PC emulators, the sprites slide over the menu, not under. The Wii's SNES emulator, on the other hand, actually has the sprites slide under the menu. This is why Nintendo tests every VC release instead of dumping every ROM they have rights to on the eShop.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Maybe it's because I don't have man hands, but when I grip my n3DS, my right pinky just touches the edge of the stylus holder. It's not anywhere near the power button.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Momotaros posted:

I bought Stardew Valley right before my computer shat the bed, and now I'm kinda hankering for a good farm simulator. What DS/3DS games would you recommend besides Animal Crossing?

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, Story of Seasons, and Rune Factory 4 are the farming games of note. If you like the RPG aspects of Stardew, go for RF. If you're like me and prefer the farming aspect, go for SoS.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

dmboogie posted:

For those who are unaware, this is due to the game literally ending after marriage if you play as the girl, while the boy can continue indefinitely and have kids and all that good stuff. It took Harvest Moon a loooooong time to get the female character option right.

:japan:

(The first HM with a female PC that continued indefinitely was More Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

dmboogie posted:

Another reason why the Mineral Town games were pretty great! It's still pretty ridiculous how long they kept up that "if you wanna play as a girl buy the ~girl version~" thing though.

This is true, but you have no idea how much untranslated dialog I've found over the years in them.

gj Natsume.

Shwqa posted:

Pretty much pick the male option for every Japanese game. There is still a good chance the male option is just straight better. My latest example is final fantasy explorer. Females only get 2 magic outfits and no strength outfits and males get 2 strength outfits and no magic. Strength builds tend to be way better and more diverse.

Pokemon gender choice doesn't matter. In fact, playing the female is better in XY because you get more clothes to play dress up with. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kaubocks posted:

but as a dude I can buy a fedora so I don't see why I'd want anything else

You can buy both fedoras and pretty dresses as a girl so I think we all know who wins here.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Animal Crossing The Line

TWEWY will repeatedly make you wish you were playing a girl after you see the stats on those dresses.

So then you raise your Bravery and do it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I can't wait to learn about the deep Animal Crossing lore next.