Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Some people just like owning games. :shrug:

I just bought the DLC for Spirit of Justice myself, if I decide I absolutely must play a 3DS or Wii U game that hasn't been ported somewhere else at some point in the future, :filez: is totally on the table for me, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

bowmore posted:

But you don't really own a digital game, it's just a license to download it

anyway, probably a can of worms, not going to go into it
You don't really own a physical game either, just a license to use the disc/cartridge.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

drilldo squirt posted:

So I just looked up prices and now I live in fear of my new 3ds dying.
Is it a new New 3DS, an old New 3DS, or a new old 3DS? :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, there's really no reason to buy an old 3DS at this point, either get a New 3DS for the face-tracking 3D or a New 2DS if you want the cheaper price point (and more easily accessible micro SD) and you don't care about 3D.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OP was asking about the 3DS, not the Switch, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Geez, a GBA SP battery that's better than the official one must last years on a charge, SP batteries lasted forever.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No, Twilight Menu redirects all read/write requests from the cartridge slot to the SD card, you won't do anything to cartridge games you have in the slot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Booky posted:

sweet, ty! i realized i worded my q a bit weird (it should be "a game in twilight menu and then the same game in the 3ds as a cartridge") but im assuming thats still the same answer :v:
Yeah, it doesn't matter what's in the cart slot, TwilightMenu never uses the slot at all. I've played a ROM with the same game in the cart slot before with no problems. IIRC early on sometimes you needed a cart with the same save type as the ROM as a "donor" but those days are long gone by now.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It kinda depends on the game, most games have saves on the cart, but some have them in extdata. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the 3DS Monster Hunter games save their save data in extdata, and Persona Q has save slots on both the cart and the console.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you're willing to settle for a high-quality refurb instead of a brand new system, you could keep an eye on jbone's SAMart thread where they sell handhelds. I've bought from them personally and would do it again. Doesn't look like they have one in stock right now, but if you drop a post in there you can probably get put on a waiting list for when they have one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Ah, I thought I remembered something like that (can't remember what the R4 came with, although from memory I was using it in my n2DS XL?), now that you mention it.

It's nice Checkpoint works like that, but there's no way I'm going to pull out a jewler's screwdriver and remove the bottom plate from my n3DS XL every time I want to move it across (thanks, Nintendo). There's not an adapter that puts an SD card useable my checkpoint in the cartridge slot?
Weirdly, the Vita - which has an accessible media slot - has the adapter to use uSD cards take up the cartridge slot, but the New 3DS - with its stupidly placed inaccessible uSD card slot - doesn't.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jbone over in SAMart has a few that he's personally refurbished and selling, and I can vouch for the quality of his work and his service.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly it's not difficult, I just use ftpd on the 3DS and Filezilla on my PC. The worst part about it is you should leave a fair bit of time if you're going to transfer a game to or from it, because the 3DS' WiFi card ain't so great.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

http://3ds.hacks.guide/ has everything you need to hack your 3/2DS.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

When I first hacked my old 3DS, back like 7 years ago (:corsair:) the guide recommended a system reset before hacking, so I did end up losing a minimal amount of data, but I was still almost all physical with my game purchases back then, so I only lost like the 3D puzzles that came with the system. And even when I bought and hacked a new 3DS relatively shortly afterwards I was able to do it without a system reset so I kept all my saves.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC I'd done a PSP or two before my 3DSes, but I was still relatively new to the console soft-modding scene as well back then. I've since soft-modded a Wii U and my own Vita as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I'm looking to work my way through a bunch of DS type jrpgs and the form factor of the 3DS is just a lot better than the comparatively fragile switch and it's gonna be a couple months before I can pick up a steam deck

I watched a video looks like you can even retheme your console now with QR codes and whatnot. Super mature modding community and system at this point, excited to try it
If you're looking to play DS RPGs specifically you may want to look at jbone's selection of pre-modded systems over in SAMart, they're pretty cheap and a DSi XL looks a lot better playing DS games than a 3DS does, due to the resolutions matching up better.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

chaosapiant posted:

Wait, what? DS games don’t look as good on a 3DS?
The 3DS has a higher-resolution screen than the original DS. Same dimensions, but more dots. This means that DS games either get upscaled to fit the new resolution, which makes them look slightly blurrier, or are displayed at their original resolution, which means a black box around the game (and DS games played on a non-XL 3DS are smaller than they were on original hardware, which may be a problem for goons with non-20/20 vision). Both are still playable, and there's homebrew like TWPatcher that can allow you to select an upscaling filter that might be more to your taste, but DS games look best on a DS(i).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've never been able to get Universal Updater to work, it always throws some generic connection error whenever I try. I'm connected to the internet, and I'm not console banned from the Nintendo online service (though I'm pretty sure that doesn't even matter), so I have no idea why it doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I'd really like it to work, because I have a New 3DS, with the annoying micro SD slot, so I'd really like to have a one-stop shop for Luma and Twilight Menu updates so I don't have to download everything on my PC and then fire up the ftp server on the 3DS to transfer everything over.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like it when it's used to really give the game depth, but very few third-party games actually do the concept justice, it's telling that the best uses of it I've seen are remakes of (at the time) over ten-year-old games Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask and Star Fox 64.

Also having it on for too long gives me headaches, so I tend to turn it on for a while to remind myself what it looks like and then turn it back off before the pain starts.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Are there ways to use game-shark esque cheats on a jailbroken 3DS? I wanted to play through a few JRPGs (open to recs!) as part of my Japanese reading practice, but don't want to spend any time grinding or dealing with tough boss fights; basically want a "casual" or "story" mode.
Yes, Luma (the de facto custom firmware for a jailbroken 3DS) can do that!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's an option in the 3DS settings to transfer data wirelessly, and there's also homebrew apps like ftpd that will let you open an ftp server on your 3DS.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nintendo is a company run by a bunch of old businessmen, which leads to a business model that doesn't understand this new-fangled "internet" thing their grandkids keep talking about, but it's also the reason that Nintendo still thinks that making good games instead of exploitative mobile gacha crapfests is the way to make The Most Money, so really you have to kinda take the bitter with the better.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zenostein posted:

It's probably got a github, I'm sure you can fork it and change the icon/name.

Tangentially, I remember seeing a luma update mention that it can load patches, rather than you going through the trouble of patching a cia or whatever. Does it work well/is there much that makes use of this? On the vita side, there's tons of translations/undubs/weird nude patches for pixel games (lol) that use repatch, which i assume works somewhat similarly; but the only 3ds thing I can think of that involves patching is the translation for great ace attorney (and the dead-seeming effort for the 2nd one).

So: anything cool done with patches for 3ds stuff? And is there some sort of place to look for this sort of thing? The obvious reddit (much like the vita one) is mostly full of people who can't follow directions asking for help, or requesting ports of things that obviously won't work.
Luma auto-patching works fine, I've used it to patch the orchestral music back into the Dragon Quest 8 port. There's also a handful of translations that utilize it. Best place to look IME is on GBATemp.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, they should've done what Sony was (rightfully) bullied into and stopped at eliminating financial transactions through the storefront, because that was the only real security concern.

If the money's already in the Nintendo account, there's no reason to be worried about the 3DS saying "Buy me this game" to the server, because anything past that request is handled server-side.
Yeah, it's weird that when Sony went "hey we're shutting down services on our old consoles" everyone went and started petitions to stop it but when Nintendo did it I heard barely a peep about it. I guess Nintendo has so much cultural clout that they get to do what they want and nobody complains?

Shiroc posted:

Was the wallet between the NNID and the Nintendo Account shared? I thought part of their problem was that the systems were disconnected and a mess. Sony’s path was easier for them because it was the same PSN account.
You could link your 3DS and Wii U eShop accounts to your NNID and after that they were all functionally the same account, you could add funds on a Switch and spend them on 3DS, for example. There was nothing stopping them from doing the same thing Sony did, they just don't care.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xenomrph posted:

What’s the max size MicroSD card a 3DS can handle? I have a 32gb in there right now and I think the max FAT32 can handle is 32gb, but are there ways around that?

Also if I upgrade to a bigger card, how do I migrate everything without loving up my 3DS and having to re-Homebrew it?
You're going to need to format it as FAT32, which Windows at least does not support on SD cards larger than (IIRC) 32gb. There's a utility called guiformat that handles formatting and will format larger SD cards as FAT32. Other than that there's no special process you need to do to copy everything over. Just make sure that boot.firm is in the root of your SD when you're done and you're good - and depending upon how recently you did the softmod you might not even need that.

Larger SD cards do slow down boot for both Luma and DS mode significantly, I'm on a 128gb card and my New 3DS XL takes noticeably longer to boot than it did on a smaller card.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

tango alpha delta posted:

I’m using Godmode on my hacked N3DSXL. My only regret is that I didn’t do this sooner. Still learning my way around modding, but this is really cool.

I have an old DSLite, too. Can I mod that so that I can dump my GBA games?
There's homebrew software for DS flashcarts that can dump a GBA cart off a DS Lite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah from what I've heard some 3DS carts need to be booted every so often for the console to refresh the storage on the cart or they just... die. Which is a bit of a "what the gently caress" situation.