Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Ryuga Death posted:

Just want some clarification after googling around; for Fire Emblem Fates, it's not necessary to buy both Conquest and Birthright, correct? If one is bought and played, there comes an option to buy the other game through a discounted dlc price?

Yes. But ignore Revelations as it is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Fates is legitimately one of my favorite games of the past 5 years, but I still regret buying Rev. The gameplay is tedious and unfun from start to finish.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Shadow225 posted:

I bounced off Fates hard halfway through because there were maps with summoners that doubled or tripled the number of enemies you would fight and it slowed battles down to a sloggg

That sounds like Echoes. I can't think of any summoned enemy gimmicks outside of things like the Eternal Stairway.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Shadow225 posted:

Here is a summoner on a mountain that sends flying demons at you.

Now do that again except instead of a mountain it's a 2 lane bridge

Now do that again but this time it's a posiom swamp

The only things that truly got updated in Echoes were the graphics, story and characterization. It's still a good game but if they had actually improved the maps and the AI it could have been much better.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I have one of those chargers. They're relatively cheap and work just fine.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

New 3DS uses #0 Phillips I think. That's what I used to replace the battery on mine.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Will romhacks inject? Typically I play them on an emulator, but I have a couple that are worth replaying.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You can wrap DS games into cias but it's a bit convoluted and I haven't bothered. Twilight Menu++ works just fine when it loads, but I've only ever been able to run DS games through it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've had decent luck on eBay. I couldn't recommend a specific seller though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If I bought it I would just wipe it anyway. And since when did they stop accepting credit cards on the device? I just bought a couple games last month on mine.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Good, I'm not the only one.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

In the States at least, you can get them from Newegg and iFixit. Not sure if they're official oem but both vendors have a solid reputation and are good on returns.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wii U battery model is ARR-002 and has a proprietary (?) connector, the 3DS XL is SPR-003 and doesn't have a cable connection, and 3DS (non xl) is CTR-003.

I believe you could simply search for the battery model numbers without specifying which device it's for and it should be fine.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anyone know where to get bottom faceplates for a New XL? The paint is starting to crack on mine.

I got 1 off eBay not too long ago. Couldn't recommend a seller though as I don't remember.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zat posted:

You could get a dock.

I've had one for 3 years or so now. It works great and is really handy.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The 3DS XL and the 2DS XL are the same size. I have that exact grip on my 3DS and it works fine.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's completely safe as of right now.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Anyone have any experience streaming 3DS to Wii U? I found the GBAtemp thread on it so it seems like a neat concept but just wondering if anyone here has tried it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That's my experience as well. An R4 is just more reliable for DS game compatibility and emulators are good for everything else. I never could get GBA games to play in Twilight either.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think you can get unlimited gems through Luma.

Hack that 3DS. It's completely risk free and games are so much better with cheats. Especially anything that eliminates the grind.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can do this on a Wii U too and it works shockingly well.

I probably would have sold my 3DS years ago if it wasn't for all the stuff hacking brought to it.

You can't do this on the latest hack. I would love to share some 3DS games on the tv with my son.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’s it broken? On what side?

It's been a while since I looked into it, but something on the 11.0 patch broke the streaming app and the dev lost interest and never bothered to update it. Also I don't think you can downgrade?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If you like Ace Attorney, the last 2 are digital only exclusives. Not exactly deep cuts.
Pokemon Picross, but you have to pay to unlock new puzzles.
Twilight Princess Picross that you can only get with platinum coins.
Pocket Card Jockey.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I actually prefer emulators on the 3DS. They let you use cheats and save states, they load quicker and they generally work well. Only inject the games that don't run well.

Also I prefer an R4 over Twilight, pretty much for the opposite reason.

Also, also, your 3DS games have native cheats and patching through Luma.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Plus injecting is time consuming, and the games take a while to load. Emulators are just easier for everything except GBA, and even mGBA is fine for most things.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also big pro tip regarding GBA injection: The GBA emulator is the same one Nintendo made for the 3DS Ambassador games. Closing the 3DS will shut the screens and volume off but the games WILL keep running and consuming battery.

Thankfully the program has a toggle that puts the 3DS in sleep mode like normal. It supposedly doesn't work for every game, but it's worked for the 5 I bothered to try it with.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My favorite feature is patching. I've only done it with a couple of Fire Emblem games, but things like removing the gender lock in Echoes or the Hoshidan recruitment in Conquest completely rewrite how the game is played and it's awesome I don't need to try to emulate these games in order to experience these mods.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

There's also that gay marriage patch for Fates, but what's the gender lock in Echoes?

Echoes puts gender restrictions on classes. Girls can't be archers or mercenaries, guys can't be clerics or pegasus knights. The gender lock patch removes those restrictions so you can have cleric Atlas and Dread Fighter Faye. It's pretty cool.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Thunder Bear posted:

...If I hack my 3DS, would I be able to, say, edit my Conquest save file to max out renown and have access to all the reward items without that bullshit online grinding?

I think for that you need a hex editor. But there are cheats that give you max of every item, including enemy only weapons and the visitor and battle seals. There's also a cheat to max out supports and to let you give any character any skill. Including changing personal skills and using enemy only and dummy skills.

The only real bitch is you can't combine the built in cheats with patching. So you can do Gay Fates or instant supports and everyone has Staff Savant and Inevitable End, but not both.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That's why I have a separate Conquest rom for patching. Azura in her Conquest outfit with Hinata and Oboro is jut too much fun.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

Ohhhh. I gotcha. Thanks, I have completely forgotten about that.

Would cleric Atlas have a proper spell list and all?

Cleric was only recently added to the patch and I never updated, so I don't know.

Annath posted:

How do I use cheats with a hacked 3ds? I ripped my FE:Fates carts and have been playing them digitally, but I don't know how to enable cheats.

Assuming you have Luma, press L1+Down+Select while the game is running. One of the options will be cheats, but not every game has cheats available. There's also cheats through Checkpoint and other apps, but I've never looked into those options.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

endlessmonotony posted:

You can't play Boktai 2 with sun mechanics without a Slot-2. You need a DS Lite too. :colbert:

There's a rom hack for that, if you look.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I though the 3DS battery was the same as the Wii U pro controller? It shouldn't be hard to find.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

C-Euro posted:

I bought Radiant Historia the last time this sale rolled through, and I didn't realize that the game had DLC. I'd any of it worth having?

Not really. It's all cosmetic stuff or increased money and xp. There are some post game things that might be worth looking into, but I rarely bother.

Also hack your 3DS and increase the xp gain by half. The 3ds rerelease lowers the xp gain compared to the original which necessitates a bit of grinding later on.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/meet-last-developers-releasing-games-3ds-wii-u%3famp=1

There's at least 3 developers bringing games to the Wii U and 3DS right now. Kage is the creator of Fragrant Story which was originally a mini game inside of another game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My black one has flaking paint all over the case except the bottom, but that's because I had to replace the bottom plate after hacking it. But it's had thousands of hours of use since 2016 since it was my only handheld for most of those years. I am on my third battery though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think I have 128 gb in mine. Either that or 256 since I don't bother buying cards in any other capacity anymore. No issues so far.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Any brand recommendations for replacement back covers for the 3DS XL?

Commander Keene posted:

Seconding this, I tore mine up during the hacking process in my incompetence and would like a quality replacement.

I just simply looked one up on eBay. Unfortunately that was a while ago and I don't see any now. You'd probably just have to gamble on one of the Chinese sellers. Thankfully they're pretty cheap.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just used this:

https://fat32-format.en.softonic.com/

My 3DS is hacked and I've had a 128 GB card in there for 2 years now. Works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

endlessmonotony posted:

Under what version of Windows?

Because that's literally impossible under Windows 10.

This is what this discussion is like, every time. Boatloads of bad advice, no easy answers. Well, except ""if you have a modded 3DS just use godmode9".

Are you ok?

The one I linked above I used on Win10 on a Surface tablet.